What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (10 Viewers)

As much as I hope they would do something, maybe doing nothing (or just about nothing) is their plan? Why spend money on guys that really won't move the needle all that much? 

I am hoping the plan is to suck again next year, which undoubtedly will happen, and they can get another crop of early draft picks. Maybe even their future QB in Rosen. 

ETA: Maybe Alshon is in on the plan too and he will re-sign with the Bears after the one year deal. All part of the plan!

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I hope they would do something, maybe doing nothing (or just about nothing) is their plan? Why spend money on guys that really won't move the needle all that much? 

I am hoping the plan is to suck again next year, which undoubtedly will happen, and they can get another crop of early draft picks. Maybe even their future QB in Rosen. 

ETA: Maybe Alshon is in on the plan too and he will re-sign with the Bears after the one year deal. All part of the plan!
Lay off the peyote

Lay off the peyote
Right. 

All I am saying is maybe not spending on some of these big deals is part of their plan for this year. What would it do? Make a bad team only slightly bad to average? It would be like the NFL version of the Bulls without the high draft pick.  

Was kidding on the Alshon part. 

Right. 

All I am saying is maybe not spending on some of these big deals is part of their plan for this year. What would it do? Make a bad team only slightly bad to average? It would be like the NFL version of the Bulls without the high draft pick.  

Was kidding on the Alshon part. 
League is strange enough that you never just throw away a season. That's such a losers mentality. They have the space and there are guys available that are better than what they currently have. ####### do something!! 

League is strange enough that you never just throw away a season. That's such a losers mentality. They have the space and there are guys available that are better than what they currently have. ####### do something!! 
Nailed it 

Morons!  Exactly, who was Pace bidding against here for a backup TE? 
Bears signed TE Dion Sims, formerly of the Dolphins, to a three-year, $18 million contract.
It includes $10 million guaranteed. It's a ton of money for a blocking tight end who was forced into a pass-catching role for the Dolphins last season. Sims has a sure pair of hands, but is not a playmaker. He's averaged a well below average 9.4 yards on his 74 career grabs. He'll be second in line for targets behind Zach Miller

GREAT FREAKING JOB BEARS! 

$21M for a backup QB and TE2. No money for a CB or anyone under 30.  Can spin that all day. Complete disaster, even in Bears terms. That's bad. Looks like my pessimism over this organization was nearly strong enough. But why do they care?  Still make same amount of money. McCaskeys don't have a care in the world. 

I get that but when you have a complete lack of talent what's the point? Dare to be average? In my opinion they are probably two drafts away from being anything.  

OK, the bears sign Bouye and Alshon. Where are they now? Does that make them playoff contenders?

In full disclosure I was hoping they'd sign Bouye. Good and young enough where if they were to string a couple good drafts together he'd potentially be a key piece. 

The Bears "won the off-season " last year. How did that work out?

I get that but when you have a complete lack of talent what's the point? Dare to be average? In my opinion they are probably two drafts away from being anything.  

OK, the bears sign Bouye and Alshon. Where are they now? Does that make them playoff contenders?

In full disclosure I was hoping they'd sign Bouye. Good and young enough where if they were to string a couple good drafts together he'd potentially be a key piece. 

The Bears "won the off-season " last year. How did that work out?
They didn't win the off-season last year. Signed no big contracts. They've been extremely conservative over the last two years while they built the team. I don't understand your reasoning.  Entering year 3 with a ton of cap space and they shouldn't sign good players because they won't make the playoffs? That's not how it works.  If you have cap space and the opportunity to improve your team, you do it. That doesn't mean you sign the top 5 most expensive free agents available. But when you're coming off of 9 wins in 2 seasons and you have the space, you don't just keep playing conservative and hope all of your draft picks hit.  You get some playmakers and start to build a winning culture.  That's seems so obvious to me.  But Pace doesn't seem to get that. 

They said they would build a team around Cutler last off season. That didn't happen.  Now we're bringing in a backup qb and possibly a rookie with no one to throw to and garbage at tackle.  That's not how you build a winning culture. That's how you completely misuse your qb like the Bears have done through all of our lifetimes. Pathetic 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Guys care about making money. Not winning. Perfect year to continue rebuilding the defense and the space to do it and we're signing Glennon when we're not going to win much anyway. 
Most QBs are overpaid and Glennon is getting market value. And signing him does not mean we can't sign anyone else. The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

Most QBs are overpaid and Glennon is getting market value. And signing him does not mean we can't sign anyone else. The two aren't mutually exclusive. 
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not complaining about the contract number and I didn't say we wouldn't sign anyone else.  The issue is we HAVEN'T signed anyone else and now we have loads of cap space to spend on no one.  They don't get to pocket the money.  A couple decent guys left who could help. But Pace rolled over 20 from last year and played it conservative the last 2 years in a row to get to this point. Now he ####s the bed, doesn't re-sign his own guy, then he doesn't even use the money he saved on Alshon for anything of worth. It's not like he let him walk to focus on another position. He just let him walk to walk and didn't focus on ####. Disaster in the making.  Continuation of Emery year failures, just in a different way. 

Again, Ryan and Pryor are musts. Overpay both. 
There's no such thing as overpaying if you're bidding against other teams. The market sets the price.  The problem with Pace is he apparently overpaid against no I e when signing Glennon and that backup scrub Miami tight end. 

Again, Ryan and Pryor are musts. Overpay both. 
Pace hasn't paid anyone. I doubt he's going to start dishing out big money to these 2 guys. We're going to be stuck without either one. Then have to hear him blabber on about how we're building through the draft, and how there are still good players out there, and how they really believe in Glennon. Yada Yada Yada. Something no one will believe and they know it. But they don't care because everyone else is stupid. Then they'll get fired. The end

Spinning today's actions by the Bears as positive is an insult to everyone's intelligence. It was a complete failure by all standards and there's nothing Pace will say to make it appear like anything else.  Pace, a guy who has a good eye for talent coming out if college, but a dog #### GM. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
And I've watched Miami a few times over the last couple years because I have a buddy who's a Dolphins fan. Sims blows and he's not a great blocker like people are saying.  Guy is a backup te at best and worth nowhere near what they paid him. No one else was close. 

An actual great blocking TE was available in Fasano, but Pace picks Sims and pays him way more than what Fasano got.   Did same thing signing Massie over Schwartz last year. Great ####### idea! Nothing that shows Pace is going to succeed 

The Bears have taken over for the Lions.  Not even the best free agents want to play in Chicago.  Something very wrong is happening to this franchise.  Ted Phillips is the problem.

Bouye contract was 13.5 per and only first 2 years guaranteed. Must've been too rich for Pace's blood. Who wants one of the top 2 CBs available at a good deal when you have plenty of money. Nah

I'm totally for skipping on Gilmore. 40 million guaranteed way high. But Bouye at 26 guaranteed. Great deal. ####### Pace thought otherwise. Now left holding the bag and hopefully in the unemployment line next season. Idiot

The #Titans signed former #Patriots CB Logan Ryan to a 3-year deal worth $30M, source said.

Another one gone. Was best remaining 

Updated short list.  After the signings today and with Cutler, Royal, and Houston all gone. We're sitting around 60 million under the cap at the moment. With these players left to spend it on.  Great freaking jobs Bears! 

Amukamara. Sucks

Claiborne 

WR

Terrell Pryor 

Coradelle Patterson. Terrible 

DL

Dontario Poe. Bad back

Spending 89% of the cap is a confusing thing and goes over multiple seasons but looking at just from this season.   Have to spend 89% of cap.  Which is close to having 18 million left at end if season.  Take away 10 million for rookie signings and say spending down to 18 million left. Leaves 32 million they have setting there to spend on remaining free agents. :confused:  Again, it goes over a few years time period but the point remains. All of the impact players are gone and the Bears are sitting with 32 million to spend and no one left to spend it on. And Pace wouldn't shut up after the season talking about their cap flexibility and how they were going to attack the secondary. Sure, Pace. He's either a liar or a moron. 

Ryan Pace last week in Indy: "Ideally in free agency, we're addressing most of our needs to allow the draft to be best-player-available."   :rolleyes:  Typical lies from Pace and the Bears. 

This is up to Mike Glennon: Bears have gone 31 seasons without a Pro-Bowl QB, the longest active streak in the NFL by a decade, per Elias.

Pretty good description from Haugh. Bears were 3-13. John Fox boasts about salary-cap space in Indy. Top CBs, Jeffery go elsewhere Day 1. But go easy on Pace/plan.  OK, got it.

They're going to have to overpay for free agents to come and/or accept marginal talent. This is what happened to Saints for a long time because no one wanted to play for perennial loser franchise. You get lucky sometimes with a player in a desperate situation (see Brees leaving SD) that can elevate the team. You also have to build through the draft too. Pace is doing okay with the draft right now but this is the state of the franchise. No one wants to play for a team that is in total disarray and that's the perception around the league.

After reading this and thinking about it a bit Pace's best move is to get rid of Fox after next year. This year would have been better but too late for that now.

I still think Pace will be good for the Bears but it sounds like he was handcuffed to the point that the best players consider every other place better than coming to Chicago.

I have some hope for Glennon to be a good signing. I liked him his rookie year and thought he would develop into a good starter. I'm often wrong about these things though.

For the draft I'm hoping we go defense early and a quarterback by the end of day 2. So probably best defensive player available in round 1. Round two qb or best defensive player. Round 3 whatever they didn't do in round 2. The rest of the rounds take best player available. The Bears have too many holes to worry about filling positions. This isn't going to get done in one year.

If Pace is going to get to pick the next head coach I'm hoping his sights are set on one of the NE coordinators, McDaniels or Patricia. I think those are the top 2 young coaches and you have to get someone that young, good players are excited about. This is just going to be a disaster season it appears. 

Ok, here we go. Amakumura signing imminent. 
Really, a signing that would actually improve the team??  Inconceivable!  Honestly not sure how he's played the last couple years, but I'd think he would be at the least a legitimate starting corner.

Really, a signing that would actually improve the team??  Inconceivable!  Honestly not sure how he's played the last couple years, but I'd think he would be at the least a legitimate starting corner.
Was soft and often injured with the Giants but I think he had a nice rebound last year.

Users who are viewing this thread