What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (11 Viewers)

When you take a guy that high, especially when you trade up for him, you have to see it through.  There's no competition to bring in on the same level. They won 12 games and made the playoffs in his first year. Should've won at least one playoff game due to his last drive, but the kicker blew it.  He hasn't been as bad as some are making him out to be. He had a rough couple games. They're 1-1, same as they were at this time last year.  Very likely they'll make the playoffs again.  Trubisky isn't going anywhere. 
Ok I agree he could turn this thing around, I just think its more likely that we see and improvement to mediocrity rather than solid improvement to 'good'. I think its very unlikely they win anything approaching 12 games due to the schedule, making the playoffs is plausible but I dont think its very likely in the least.  They lost a home playoff game to a very meh wildcard team, and the only reason it came down to the final fieldgoal is that the quarterback looked like a deer in the headlights until the final drive of the game. Much like Sunday played out. Thats not sustainable.

I'm saying what we saw last year wasnt good enough. What were seeing this year is not even close to good enough. Its not that he has to improve, he has to improve HUGELY. And not just because Nagey dumbs down the playbook so Mitch only has to look at half the field, and not just because he runs for a bunch of first downs. Why should we settle for a guy that just squeaks you through by totally rigging an offense to overcome his manifest deficiencies? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I agree he could turn this thing around, I just think its more likely that we see and improvement to mediocrity rather than solid improvement to 'good'. I think its very unlikely they win anything approaching 12 games due to the schedule, making the playoffs is plausible but I dont think its very likely in the least.  They lost a home playoff game to a very meh wildcard team, and the only reason it came down to the final fieldgoal is that the quarterback looked like a deer in the headlights until the final drive of the game. Much like Sunday played out. Thats not sustainable.

I'm saying what we saw last year wasnt good enough. What were seeing this year is not even close to good enough. Its not that he has to improve, he has to improve HUGELY. And not just because Nagey dumbs down the playbook so Mitch only has to look at half the field, and not just because he runs for a bunch of first downs. Why should we settle for a guy that just squeaks you through by totally rigging an offense to overcome his manifest deficiencies? 
You don't think last was good enough for his first year starting? I strongly disagree with that. Was far from bad and even made the pro bowl.  Now if he doesn't show significant progress throughout this year, I'll agree we have a huge problem. 

You don't think last was good enough for his first year starting? I strongly disagree with that. Was far from bad and even made the pro bowl.  Now if he doesn't show significant progress throughout this year, I'll agree we have a huge problem. 
Agree that Mitch needs to show progress. He seemed to be progressing nicely towards the end of the season. He now seems like he is regressing. It's only 2 games so there is no need to panic but he better do something against Washington.  Washington has decent talent on defense but have not played very well this year. 

We have a veteran QB on the team.  His name is Chase Daniel.  As I said earlier, Trub is not turning the ball over (except the desperation INT week 1) and they ran the ball a lot more to put Trub back to a caretaker role until he ramps up his passing play.  We’ve all seen this before.  He has regressed after all the “mastering the offense” dialog during the offseason.  It’s annoying to see Mahomes & Watson throw deep balls with accuracy but Trub hasn’t thrown a deep ball TD for way too long.

As long as the D keeps us ahead in games, we should be fine.  If we get behind, then Trub will have to answer the bell and Nagy will have to do more to help him.  Roll him out weak and let him take a few deep shots or he can run.

Trub needs to target Wims more on 3rd and long.  Dude is a Hoover and Trub won’t throw his way.  Sucks.

Fuller was a disappointment (aside from the lucky INT that resulted from poor ball placement), giving up big 3rd and 4th down conversions, the TD and the 2-point conversion.  In other words, he caved big time late.  Part of it was being winded at elevation I’m sure, but Fuller was giving a huge cushion on those long conversions.  Since the D was forcing Flacco to throw by ~2.25s on average, you’d think all the defensive backs would have the timing down to be able to jump routes and get more picks.

Skrine has been fine in slot corner duties so far (aside from the horrible offside penalty on the PAT) and I liked how Pagano was sending him on blitzes late at Flacco’s blind side.  He’s playing much more disciplined than with the Jets. 

Also part of being a Bears qb. Mayfield has been even worse. Same record. Lost to a worse team. 4 interceptions in 2 games. Crickets 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Also part of being a Bears qb. Mayfield has been even worse. Same record. Lost to a worse team. 4 interceptions in 2 games. Crickets 
You can't make those comparisons. That is like saying the Vikings are better than the Bears because they only lost to the Packers by 5 points.

Trubisky has been scary bad at times. As I mentioned he has gone up against very good defenses but he has been brutal. The interception in the Green Bay game was one of the worst decisions a QB can make (go watch the tape).  He should have a lot more interceptions this season but he got lucky on a handful of instances. 

You can't make those comparisons. That is like saying the Vikings are better than the Bears because they only lost to the Packers by 5 points.

Trubisky has been scary bad at times. As I mentioned he has gone up against very good defenses but he has been brutal. The interception in the Green Bay game was one of the worst decisions a QB can make (go watch the tape).  He should have a lot more interceptions this season but he got lucky on a handful of instances. 
I'm not even sure what this means. 

Remember where we were at just a short time ago, Bears fans. All is well 

The Bears are a 4-point favorite in Washington. It’s the 8th time they’re a road favorite under Matt Nagy. They’re 5-2 in such games, including last week’s win in Denver (3-4 against the spread).

From 2013-17, the Bears were road favorites 3 times (and they went 1-2).

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
He started 12 games his rookie season, dont give me that. Why does everyone have to do backflips to over exaggerate Trubiskys inexperience?
Who's doing backflips? He started with new head coach and mostly new weapons on offense last season, won 12 games, and made the playoffs.  He's had a rough start to this season. It happens. It's the "gotta have it all right now" mentality of the fans today that's the problem.   We'll talk again about it at the end of the season. 

^11 games won last season.  Remember, Trub missed the Thanksgiving game (W - Daniel) and the Giants game (L - Daniel).  Ever since that shoulder injury, he’s been less effective throwing.

I’d trade Trubisky for Kyle Allen right now.  He is an undrafted free agent that the Panthers have developed. Which points out Pace said he’d draft a QB every year. He hasn’t drafted one since he drafted Trubisky. The Bears are in serious trouble. Trubisky appears to be a lesser version of Bortles. He doesn’t see the field, he doesn’t read defenses, and he is horribly inaccurate. There were positive signs last year, but this year he seems to have regressed. The defense will keep the Bears in games, but unless they can get production out of the QB, they will be lucky to go 8-8. My hope is that usually when I am ready to give up on the Bears, they play really well. Let’s hope that happens tonight. My fear is that two years from now, the defense will have faded, and the Bears will be scrambling looking for a starting QB. 

Was listening to Jim Miller as a guest on one of the WCG podcasts this week and he said Nagy was forcing Trub into many “1-reads” last week.

Miller pretty much echoed most of our sentiments in that he’s regressed so far but thinks he’ll step it up, but only if Nagy will start rolling him out and letting him play more freely (scrambling & going vertical more often).  He also said we’ll all know by the end of this season if he’s our guy or will be on the outs.

Eddy hurt his right knee in the weight room Friday and is supposedly questionable for tonight.  Seems like even when we catch a break with a weasel win, something else negative pops up to be a buzzkill.

Was listening to Jim Miller as a guest on one of the WCG podcasts this week and he said Nagy was forcing Trub into many “1-reads” last week.

Miller pretty much echoed most of our sentiments in that he’s regressed so far but thinks he’ll step it up, but only if Nagy will start rolling him out and letting him play more freely (scrambling & going vertical more often).  He also said we’ll all know by the end of this season if he’s our guy or will be on the outs.

Eddy hurt his right knee in the weight room Friday and is supposedly questionable for tonight.  Seems like even when we catch a break with a weasel win, something else negative pops up to be a buzzkill.
Pretty common sense stuff here. 

Really hope the offense shows up tonight. I just want the Bears to start being competitive every year, not once every 10.

They're going to be fine. I still think they will win it all this season. They have an incredible defense, and you need to put their schedule in context. This is a great stretch of games for them:

at Washington

Vikings at home

at Oakland

Saints at home (without Brees)

Chargers at home

That's a great schedule. Washington tonight should be an easy win. I think they'll go undefeated during this stretch, but even if they lose to Minnesota, that puts them at 5-2 and in good shape to challenge for the division during the second half of the season. 

The next five games after that features two games against the Lions and one against the Giants. Again, some easily winnable contests. 

Finally, there's a tough stretch at the end with the Cowboys, Chiefs, Packers, and Vikings. But I think they'll be in good shape heading into that portion of the schedule.

Enjoy this season. It's going to be a good one. 

Once again, the Skins are playing everyone with in five or six yards of the line of scrimmage. Because they aren’t the least bit worried about Trubisky throwing the ball down the field.

That’s more like it, other than the uncharacteristic offsides penalties.

Took awhile for the offense to get sync’d, but they’re finally getting some slants going and the misdirections with Turbo at the GL have been fantastic, quite honestly.  

That last TD catch was gorgeous and the throw was actually accurate, for a change.

That’s more like it, other than the uncharacteristic offsides penalties.

Took awhile for the offense to get sync’d, but they’re finally getting some slants going and the misdirections with Turbo at the GL have been fantastic, quite honestly.  

That last TD catch was gorgeous and the throw was actually accurate, for a change.
Hoping the first 2 games was just a lack of preseason snaps

Nagy is creating a lot of different looks (diamondback? I-formation?) tonight.  No, it hasn’t been perfect and we still need to get Monty going.

Will we see Haskins?

Users who are viewing this thread