What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (19 Viewers)

While I'm still not 100% thrilled with how/where they got him, I'm becoming a lot happier with the player they got in Trubisky.  His 1 year does scare me, but when you line up all the QB's in this draft, the thing you hear about Trubisky is his accuracy, and that is probably my personal #1QB stat.  We go the player some regarded as the best QB prospect in this draft.  Now if it doesn't work and he's not a top 10 QB in year 3, yeah, Pace will pay for it with his job.

On the later picks I'm really excited about the TE pick.  I really wanted a TE with our Rd 2 pick, but didn't think there was any way it would actually happen.  This guy could be a serious talent, size, speed, strength, b-ball background, that's pretty much everything you look for in a TE.  Still has a lot of risk going from DII to pro, but a lot of people are talking highly of this guy.

I like the fact the guard they got was someone they worked with in the Senior bowl.  People where complaining when they were offered it that Fox was so "yeah, whatever" about it, and people on here were saying they should be more excited for the chance to do it, and use that knowledge in the draft.  Well it looks like they did.  They coached this guy in the senior bowl and liked him enough to want him on the team.

This draft is a lot of risk/reward, and if Pace is wrong I don't think there is any way he'll escape from it in a couple years.  I would probably feel a lot better about this draft if I thought they had a better year in FA, they didn't seem to "fix" any positions with FA signings, and I don't see any day 1 starters in this draft either, so it's a little frightening.

While I'm still not 100% thrilled with how/where they got him, I'm becoming a lot happier with the player they got in Trubisky.  His 1 year does scare me, but when you line up all the QB's in this draft, the thing you hear about Trubisky is his accuracy, and that is probably my personal #1QB stat.  We go the player some regarded as the best QB prospect in this draft.  Now if it doesn't work and he's not a top 10 QB in year 3, yeah, Pace will pay for it with his job.

On the later picks I'm really excited about the TE pick.  I really wanted a TE with our Rd 2 pick, but didn't think there was any way it would actually happen.  This guy could be a serious talent, size, speed, strength, b-ball background, that's pretty much everything you look for in a TE.  Still has a lot of risk going from DII to pro, but a lot of people are talking highly of this guy.

I like the fact the guard they got was someone they worked with in the Senior bowl.  People where complaining when they were offered it that Fox was so "yeah, whatever" about it, and people on here were saying they should be more excited for the chance to do it, and use that knowledge in the draft.  Well it looks like they did.  They coached this guy in the senior bowl and liked him enough to want him on the team.

This draft is a lot of risk/reward, and if Pace is wrong I don't think there is any way he'll escape from it in a couple years.  I would probably feel a lot better about this draft if I thought they had a better year in FA, they didn't seem to "fix" any positions with FA signings, and I don't see any day 1 starters in this draft either, so it's a little frightening.
I foresee Trubisky starting by the end of the season.  I also see Shaheen getting some good playing time but not starting.  Cohen is another guy I think gets plenty of playing time since there's no one else on the team that offers what he can do.  That's most likely it other than maybe Jackson at some point during the season.  Unlikely any day one starters although some may play in that first game.

Appreciate the positivity. I just can't....

Appreciate the positivity. I just can't....
Isn't it more fun to be optimistic though?  Otherwise what's the point in paying attention or watching?  Being optimistic is what makes the off season fun.  Once the season is in full force then the depression can set in. lol

Bill Polian calls the #Bears trade up to #2 for Trubisky as "Tremendous. A stroke of genius." Adds that he has a long development road ahead

A lot of the talking heads out there are changing their tune now. Haven't heard one current or former scout or GM criticize the move, none that put their names to it. 

I am going to love watching the bears trot out MT in week 9 next season and the proverbial deer in headlights takes over.   Kid needs to be in a situation where he sits and learns for a few seasons.  He is going to be a complete disaster as a starting rookie.  But hey the bears are the bears and snagged him at 2.  I think its cute you have to keep justifing to yourself that it wasnt a bad pick and you didnt unnecessarily overpay.  

I am going to love watching the bears trot out MT in week 9 next season and the proverbial deer in headlights takes over.   Kid needs to be in a situation where he sits and learns for a few seasons.  He is going to be a complete disaster as a starting rookie.  But hey the bears are the bears and snagged him at 2.  I think its cute you have to keep justifing to yourself that it wasnt a bad pick and you didnt unnecessarily overpay.  
What's the better route? I'm all ears. 

Obviously 
I can't tell if this is sarcasm. I lose track of names on here and can't remember if you've been around Bears threads for the last few years or not. Sounds like you're just trying to antagonize and not have a real discussion anyway. Could be a Limp Ditka alias. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Isn't it more fun to be optimistic though?  Otherwise what's the point in paying attention or watching?  Being optimistic is what makes the off season fun.  Once the season is in full force then the depression can set in. lol
Going into FA I was excited, juiced up. Then FA was just ok, but I was still way excited for the draft. But after the stinker Pace laid on us from day one on, it's just impossible to stay excited. Obviously we don't know how these guys will turn out a and once training camp starts I'll be excited again, but from what could have been to the reality of what was, I'm way dejected right now.

Going into FA I was excited, juiced up. Then FA was just ok, but I was still way excited for the draft. But after the stinker Pace laid on us from day one on, it's just impossible to stay excited. Obviously we don't know how these guys will turn out a and once training camp starts I'll be excited again, but from what could have been to the reality of what was, I'm way dejected right now.
All I cared about was addressing the qb position.  They did it in fa and in draft.  I wish they had went about the rest differently, but if they hadn't addressed qb, none of the rest would've mattered. 

All I cared about was addressing the qb position.  They did it in fa and in draft.  I wish they had went about the rest differently, but if they hadn't addressed qb, none of the rest would've mattered. 
Very true. I need to get past the Watson/Trubisky thing though.

Vegas has the Bears win total at 5. The only two teams below the Bears are the Browns at 4, and the Niners at 4.5. Even the Jets, the Rams, and the Jags are at 5.5. So Vegas doesn't think much of the Bears.

Very true. I need to get past the Watson/Trubisky thing though.
I was more on the Kizer bandwagon and still think he will be a star. But now that no one tried to move up and get Watson in the top 10 and then KC even moved up a looong way to get Mahomes makes me think I was wrong on Watson and Trubisky.  It's obvious a few teams were interested in moving up to get Trubisky.   That has has to mean something.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to change topic (although, thank god someone did), but:

Is there anything to see with Tre Boston,  Safety released by CAR.  Stats show a decent year in 2016, maybe worth a 1 year deal the Bears love to give out?

Grab him off waivers  - he may be more of a value than the questionable OL signings over the past 2 days.   Maybe Boston can find a spot in the def backfield rotation?

I'm most concerned about the DL and its depth.  I hope they sign Jaye Howard. Really thin there and need another 5T.  Seem to have a lot bodies in the secondary. 

Ideal scenario:

Glennon plays well enough and starts all 16 games.  With his big money guaranteed year off the books he may fetch that 3rd rounder they gave up in the 2018 draft.

Ideal scenario:

Glennon plays well enough and starts all 16 games.  With his big money guaranteed year off the books he may fetch that 3rd rounder they gave up in the 2018 draft.
That would be pretty sweet as long as Trubisky really is good.  Imagine how upset fans would be if Glennon posted a top 8 season and then the Bears traded him away only to start Trubisky who doesn't live up to his draft cost.

That would be pretty sweet as long as Trubisky really is good.  Imagine how upset fans would be if Glennon posted a top 8 season and then the Bears traded him away only to start Trubisky who doesn't live up to his draft cost.
Glass half full in this scenario then would be to hang on to Glennon for another year if Trubisky isn't showing he's the goods in practice.  After having him for a year the Bears should know if he's ready to play or not.  If he's not Glennon is still under contract.

The problem obviously is they spent the #2 pick on him and traded up.  It won't be easy to sell that he's a work in progress to fans while they watch Thomas wrecking offensive lines, Adams taking interceptions to the house, or DeShaun Watson starting and playing well for Houston.

It looks like Fox is gone after this year and they're going to need to hire a head coach who believes in Trubisky.  That's a tough sell to these coaches who want their guy.  Glennon was Schiano's guy.  Once he was fired Mike wasn't getting a shot in Tampa.  Same thing could happen to Trubisky.  This kind of head coach and quarterback carousel sets franchises back for years. 

Any signing on either line is always good. We definitely needed help stopping the run (and pass too) so this fills a need.

The optimistic side of me thinks Glennon will be better than the Cutler/Hoyer/Barkley combo from last year and Trubisky can develop into his draft position in a year or two.

While we probably didn't add much immediate help through the draft, better health and the free agent signings will help blown late games and we will be looking at 6 -7 wins with some players developing so we will be competing for division titles within two or three years. I think Jackson can really help both on defense and returning punts. Even though he doesn't seem to be a ball hawking safety he makes the plays that come to him which is still an improvement.

The pessimist in me is afraid Glennon will be mediocre at best, Trubisky will be rushed in/or just not that good. We will be drafting early again next year on a 3 - 4 win season. None of the gambles we took will pay off and we will still be looking for a quarterback 3 years from now on a still terrible team.

Users who are viewing this thread

• ZWK