What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (2 Viewers)

There are orders of magnitude fewer posts about the Bears firings than the Vikings and Dolphins firings. Because expected or because nobody cares anymore?
I think it's a lack of caring. Even the most loyal of Bears fans are just over it at this point. No reason to have hope or give them any of your time. 

So far, I have read that the Bears have requested interviews with:

• Leslie Frazier
  • Nathaniel Hackett
  • Todd Bowles
  • Brian Daboll
  • Doug Peterson
  • Byron Leftwich
  • Matt Eberflus
Interesting that Harbaugh, McDaniels, and Flores are not listed.

• Leslie Frazier
  • Nathaniel Hackett
  • Todd Bowles
  • Brian Daboll
  • Doug Peterson
  • Byron Leftwich
  • Matt Eberflus

In the case of Harbaugh, he doesn't have an agent who might be leaking this news.

• Leslie Frazier
  • Nathaniel Hackett
  • Todd Bowles
  • Brian Daboll
  • Doug Peterson
  • Byron Leftwich
  • Matt Eberflus
Flores news just came out. And a request for Quinn. 

• Leslie Frazier
  • Nathaniel Hackett
  • Todd Bowles
  • Brian Daboll
  • Doug Peterson
  • Byron Leftwich
  • Matt Eberflus
No Roman is such a joke. Doubt Harbaugh would be mentioned by anyone yet. 

flapgreen said:
Right. These morons don't even have a damn GM yet. 

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Bears requested permission to interview Patriots’ director of scouting Eliot Wolf for their GM job, per source.

They might end up with two ex-Packers - Wolf as GM and Hacket as HC.  Eliot Wolf is Ron Wolf's son, was in line for the Packers GM job but left Green Bay in 2018 when they chose Brian Gutekunst over him. Had the job in Cleveland for a year or two, then took a big step down to become an assistant in NE.

They might end up with two ex-Packers - Wolf as GM and Hacket as HC.  Eliot Wolf is Ron Wolf's son, was in line for the Packers GM job but left Green Bay in 2018 when they chose Brian Gutekunst over him. Had the job in Cleveland for a year or two, then took a big step down to become an assistant in NE.
There's no reason to start interviewing head coaches before they hire a GM. But I'll admit I do like the list of GM candidates they're looking at so far. 

Never hire a coach before the GM. We used to do that with the Jets. Totally disrupts the chain of command and leads to an organization in constant personnel battles and disarray. That's just a bad move. 

Leslie Frazier is no better than then man they just showed the door to. I'd be interested in Leftwhich, Dabol, but not Flores or anyone else. 

Just seems to be a  retreads list of retreads and never-has-beens

How in the world is Jim Caldwell's name being thrown around now?  Dude hasn't been in the NFL (except for a short stint with the Dolphins under Flores) since 2017.

Word from the inside is the whole search has been a complete cluster. No direction. Just random 
Any time you have a candidate list THAT BIG, it seems like you have no idea what you are looking for.  I get checking our all sorts of options, but some of that needs to be done in the background before you start the interview process so you can be ready to start hiring somewhat quickly.  The Giants made a good hire, maybe not the only right one, but were able to do it long before the Bears are even considering making an offer and they lose out on what seems to be a good candidate.  Couple that With the Colts Assistant GM removing his name from consideration and I think we lost two of the more experienced guys on that list.

I have no faith in the the process, but i still have hope whoever they do pick can rise to the job and improve the team.

It's like a game of musical chairs with clowns on crutches limping around in a circle(jerk) to some out of tune hymn about suffering and regret until eventually a drawn out and too slow turntable stylus scratches the "music" off and the Bears are left standing around to hire the dumbest and ugliest clown they can find. 

*reverse jinx*

Zeroing in on a Poles/Quinn combo. We'll see... 

Wolfe also in on the running. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope he take Bieniemy with him.
I should clarify this. I think Bieniemy needs to get a HC gig this offseason. I would like it to happen so the Chiefs can bring in some fresh voices to the offensive room.

He's been here a long time and I think Andy Reid would benefit from some fresh perspective also. 

Just curious, since you are a Chiefs fan, what is the negative about Bieniemy?
My theory is this:

1. He doesn't interview well. He's had plenty of chances to wow people during the interview process and hasn't even gotten an offer as far as we know.

2. I don't think he calls plays well. I'm fairly confident Reid gave him the keys to the offense several times this year in terms of calling plays, and you can pretty much tell when it happens. It's no coincidence to me the offense got remarkably better the last few weeks as we have gotten to playoff time.  Chiefs fans have noticed it even during certain games when the offense looks like total crap. And then all of a sudden they start to click. Has to be Reid taking it back over.

Reid does this from time to time to try and get his guys hired.

The Bears are the perfect example. Reid gave Nagy just enough play calling experience to get him a HC job. Which as Bears fans know, turned out to be a bad hire.
So have the Bears learned nothing about taking KC guys by now getting a GM from KC?    I think KC inflates value of coach/GM types (especially coaches) because they have elite players on offense.  They won't be able to take those elite guys with them so much of how they win won't translate.  

I have no idea if this GM had anything to do with getting those elite guys (maybe he was the reason why) but even so guys like Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce don't grow on trees even if you can identify when they do.  

So have the Bears learned nothing about taking KC guys by now getting a GM from KC?    I think KC inflates value of coach/GM types (especially coaches) because they have elite players on offense.  They won't be able to take those elite guys with them so much of how they win won't translate.  

I have no idea if this GM had anything to do with getting those elite guys (maybe he was the reason why) but even so guys like Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce don't grow on trees even if you can identify when they do.  
Poles has been a finalist at multiple places over the last year and the Vikings were definitely hiring him, if the Bears didn't. This is one hire that I don't think it mattered where he was at. 

Poles has been a finalist at multiple places over the last year and the Vikings were definitely hiring him, if the Bears didn't. This is one hire that I don't think it mattered where he was at. 
So if he were with the Jets or Lions he would be highly sought after?  :)

Makes you wonder if he made the decision or if the Bears offered him a lot more.  Looking at the rosters it's pretty close in terms of talent overall.  I have no idea how the cap situations compare but I think I would rather take over the Vikes situation but that's probably because I am a Vikes fan...hahaha

It all boils down to your Fields thoughts.   If you are a believer then probably going to the Bears makes sense for building purposes.  I think Cousins is better now but not sure  how much longer that will be.  Plus the cap hit for Cousins is pretty bad.  

I take it you didn't like the Nagy hire.  We got Terry Shea as offensive coordinator from KC and he was amazing!

I'm pretty ok with this hire, although I think it signals that the HC won't be someone who likes to micromanage, like Payton or Harbaugh. 

I swear if we end up with Jim Caldwell, I'm done!

This reeks of nepotism.  Polian hired his son Poles.

I also don't like going from Ryan Pace (Ryan P) to Ryan Poles (Ryan P)

If it really is down to Eberflus, Caldwell and Quinn I’m highly in favor of Quinn. Caldwell is close to 70 and so uninspiring. Eberflus is interesting but I’d prefer the guy with the experience of being a head coach. I like that Quinn had some success and was so close to winning a title. Makes me think he will be laser focused in his second chance. I think Quinn would be a very good hire. 

Users who are viewing this thread