What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (17 Viewers)

Final numbers are mostly in on the contracts. Still have around 32 million in space this year. 5 for rookies. 8 for during year stuff.  Extend Goldman and Amos.  That's most of it. 

Remaining potential targets available 

Roughly 21 million remaining in cap space. 
New numbers out show a little different due to some back loaded contracts. Roughly 32 million in cap space left. After rookies and in-season money, will leave about 24.  If they extend Goldman and Amos, I'm guessing another 6-7 million against cap. Carry over the normal 5-6 million into next season. 

Ends up about 10 million left to spend, which will probably be a few veteran minimum contracts and maybe a couple 2 million ones. 

Some remaining names: 

Bowman, Logan, Houston, Joeckel, McPhee, Boston, Burnett, Reid, Hankerson, Galette, Klug

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a pretty stout overpay. I don’t think Fuller is very good. For that kind of money I’d prefer they let him go and draft a corner. Fuller did play better last year, but he is far from a shut down corner. And you paid him like that. 
He was terrific last year. 

Right now... Floyd, Aaron Lynch & Acho.

Jets just jumped into #3 similar to our Trub move last year.

Should mean one less team going for an edge guy in front of us, as many had the Colts taking Chubb, but he's more of a 4-3 DE.

Wouldn't be surprised if we drafted nothing but OLBs & OGs.  Bucs will probably snag Nelson.  Locking up Fuller means no CB with #8.  Edmunds prediction looks a wee bit more realistic now.  Kid's only 19 as well.

Right now... Floyd, Aaron Lynch & Acho.

Jets just jumped into #3 similar to our Trub move last year.

Should mean one less team going for an edge guy in front of us, as many had the Colts taking Chubb, but he's more of a 4-3 DE.

Wouldn't be surprised if we drafted nothing but OLBs & OGs.  Bucs will probably snag Nelson.  Locking up Fuller means no CB with #8.  Edmunds prediction looks a wee bit more realistic now.  Kid's only 19 as well.
Colts are playing a 4-3 this year.

1) Franchise QB. Done 

2) LT. Done 

3) RT. Still need
4) 2 CBs. Done 
5) TE. Done 
6) FS. Done 
7) 17. Gone
8) Another WR. Done x2
9) more pass rushers. Need a lot
Revisiting this from before last year's free agency.  Pretty good progress. I'll bring it up to date.  Won't be as much cap next year so most of these needs will be needed to be filled through the draft. 

1) 2 pass rushers 

2) 2 OLBs

3) Guard 

4) 5T

5) RT eventually. 

6) WR 4

7) Depth at multiple positions

Revisiting this from before last year's free agency.  Pretty good progress. I'll bring it up to date.  Won't be as much cap next year so most of these needs will be needed to be filled through the draft. 

1) 2 pass rushers 

2) 2 OLBs

3) Guard 

4) 5T

5) RT eventually. 

6) WR 4

7) Depth at multiple positions
The depth at multiple positions is the big one for me.  I'm thrilled with how this offseason has gone, but for so many years, we get excited about a position player only to see them get hurt and their back-up be not NFL-caliber.  Beyond that, the Bears still need special teams contributors - hoping Bellamy is back in that regard.

Nelson or Edmunds and the first rd will be a smashing success. 
Nelson should be a shoe-in if he's there. I'd even trade up for him if 4 qbs get taken by the 5th pick.  Edmunds is a freak and mostly just potential, which I don't like that early. His college production  wasn't great. The tape doesn't lie. 

Nelson should be a shoe-in if he's there. I'd even trade up for him if 4 qbs get taken by the 5th pick.  Edmunds is a freak and mostly just potential, which I don't like that early. His college production  wasn't great. The tape doesn't lie. 
Unfortunately with what we know about Pace, it seems that it's likely Edmunds is his guy.

As you have said, really hoping the stars align and Nelson somehow falls into the Bears' lap.

Colts are playing a 4-3 this year.
I know this.  What I meant was, we likely wouldn't be interested in Chubb even if he was available since he's a 4-3 DE, so the trade makes it a moot issue.

Then somebody is getting a huge steal. Landry is the best pass rusher in the draft. Chubb is probably a better all-around player, but for just pass rushing Landry is better.
That's really all he can do or he would be going a lot higher. Situational guy. I'd jump at him in the second for sure. 

Just remember guys; Panthers and Broncos both won soon after Fox left. Here's to the trifecta ??

Personally, I'd take Nelson, Chubb, Fitzpatrick or Barkley if any of those are there @ 8. To me it's a no brainer. Then, should none of those fall i would like to see us trade back to mid 1st and pick up Ward, Jackson or Landry, (worst case is still not bad but I'd still consider Ridley at that point to really just attack the position that's been such a thorn to the bears)

I’m excited to see how Trubisky progresses. He’s got a live arm and I can’t wait to see them unleash it!

BEAR DOWN
I'm excited to not only see the staff open up the offense but to see Trubisky actually have decent WRs to throw to.  So much more potential this year to be excited about but a lot needs to be done yet.

Allen Hurns confirms on @wfnz that the Bears ARE one of the teams that have reached out to him. It was the first team he listed when they asked him. 

flapgreen said:
Allen Hurns confirms on @wfnz that the Bears ARE one of the teams that have reached out to him. It was the first team he listed when they asked him. 
I’d complain about stealing Jacksonville’s WR but they’ve put up some numbers the past few years.

I’d take a year of being Jacksonville lite on Offense.

I really like Meredith like most fans but I feel some are a little biased towards him being a really good WR.  He really hasn't done a ton to earn it yet in my opinion.  I'd love him to stay but won't be too upset if he's gone.

I really like Meredith like most fans but I feel some are a little biased towards him being a really good WR.  He really hasn't done a ton to earn it yet in my opinion.  I'd love him to stay but won't be too upset if he's gone.
He's just scratched the surface at WR. Pace placed a low round tender on him to create interest and have him sign an offer he would match. He'll be a lot cheaper right now than when he has another good season. 

He's just scratched the surface at WR. Pace placed a low round tender on him to create interest and have him sign an offer he would match. He'll be a lot cheaper right now than when he has another good season. 
I'll be happy if they are able to keep him for cheap but if the price is too high I'm not sure I'll be all that upset to see him go.  Basically, I'm not too worried about it.

so I'm doing a ton of reading on prospects, watching some video etc. If Nelson/Chubb are gone which I assume they will be, I am totally for snagging Roquan Smith over Edmunds. Still good upside without the bust potential. Fills a need.

so I'm doing a ton of reading on prospects, watching some video etc. If Nelson/Chubb are gone which I assume they will be, I am totally for snagging Roquan Smith over Edmunds. Still good upside without the bust potential. Fills a need.
Edmunds feels pretty overrated right now. He's more a 15-20 range guy imo. Personally, I'm not sure ILB is a need at all. I think Kwaitkoski has progressed nicely, and is fine as a starter going forward opposite Trevathan. I'm hoping for Maurice Hurst, Derwin James or Harold Landry at #8. 

travdogg said:
Edmunds feels pretty overrated right now. He's more a 15-20 range guy imo. Personally, I'm not sure ILB is a need at all. I think Kwaitkoski has progressed nicely, and is fine as a starter going forward opposite Trevathan. I'm hoping for Maurice Hurst, Derwin James or Harold Landry at #8. 
I think it depends on who Pace has ranked higher overall on his board. I think I would be ok with James at 8. Amos and Jackson have been great picks but they might just go BPA. also, I can't imagine any teams wanting to trade up to the 8 spot

I think it depends on who Pace has ranked higher overall on his board. I think I would be ok with James at 8. Amos and Jackson have been great picks but they might just go BPA. also, I can't imagine any teams wanting to trade up to the 8 spot
Makes no sense. James will be far from the most impactful player available. Spending the 8th pick on one of the lowest paid positions on the field while you already have your starting safeties would be ridiculous and won't happen. 

travdogg said:
Oh its a need and Smith will be the best available. Just a matter if they take him or not.  Not taking a safety or Hurst at 8. Landry is a later first or second guy. 

#Bears chairman George McCaskey on team shifting from defense to offensive-minded again : "Whatever it takes to win the Super Bowl."

3 of the 4 "experts" on NFL.com believe Nelson will fall to the Bears. If he doesn't, and at least on QB is still available, I don't think I'd mind seeing them trade down a few spots with a QB needy team (Arizona, Buffalo, etc.).

Does anyone think Shaquem Griffin will be available for our 3rd pick?

I would love to have him in the locker room, inspiring everyone to be the best they can.  Pushing everyone just by his presence.

Users who are viewing this thread