What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (9 Viewers)

Trust me, points were missed. Even in your recent reply you totally ignored the salary cap when talking about matching Mack's value. People are trying to over simplify/minimize some of the consequences of this trade.
No I didn't. I simply wasn't replying to that part of your argument. But you're running so fast trying to make the points you're so sure of that you're not trying to understand the counterpoints.

So. I'm done. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No I didn't. I simply wasn't replying to that part of your argument. But you're running so fast trying to make the points you're so sure of that you're not trying to understand the counterpoints.
It wasn't part of MY argument. It was simply part of the equation.

getting two 1st round picks from a team that will probably miss the playoffs the next two years was a pretty good consolation prize.

Only if they turn them into something approximating Mack's value.
So you are saying: 2019 1st + 2020 1st = Mack

they will have those draft picks AND the extra cap space to approximate Mack's value.
I had to remind you the equation was actually 2019 1st + 2020 1st + $$$$$$ = Mack

So. I'm done.
Okay.

Fair enough - I don't see the extreme risk you are referring to.  I haven't looked at the actual numbers but I'd be willing to bet there are not too many first round talents who have accumulated 40.5 sacks in their first 4 seasons in the NFL.  Mack's presence alone is going to shake up the NFC North.  
In fairness that is a bit misleading.  I mean he got a bunch of those against Michael Schofield. Five in one game.  Hell, I'm 60 and I would have had four that day.

Exactly - that's why I'm saying he's all in. If Trubisky turns out to NOT be a cheap starting QB then Pace is up a river.

If Trubisky works out, it'll be ok... not great, but ok. Those 1st round picks have a lot of value if you hit on them. Not having them will be a limiting factor. 
A little late to this conversation so maybe it's already been said, but Pace was already ALL IN on this team/QB.  His team has been horrible the last 3 years when he was supposed to be re-building.  He finally grabbed a QB and if this doesn't work, he won't get enough years to get another chance.  Trubisky can struggle this year and they can make the new HC/OC, and Trubisky's first year in a real NFL offense excuse, but if it doesn't work next year Pace will be on his way out.  He's throwing everything he can into jumpstarting this team right now.

Trust me, points were missed. Even in your recent reply you totally ignored the salary cap when talking about matching Mack's value. People are trying to over simplify/minimize some of the consequences of this trade.
Dude just get the hell out of here already. 

Just give up.  They thought Fox was going to take them to the promised land.

Just give up.  They thought Fox was going to take them to the promised land.
Who thought that? Bears fans? None that I know. I could barely watch them play under him. I'm sure some looked for a silver lining but I don't know any Bears fans that were happy about Fox.

If you meant Pace because he hired Fox, I thought they were hired together and that Pace was never on the Fox train, if there ever was one.

#Packers WR Randall Cobb on Khalil Mack: "I thought he was coming here. I thought I was going to wake up and find out we got him. Some things happen, and obviously he ended up in Chicago. That’s part of it. That’s part of the business."

:lmao: Oooof! Sorry, Pack. Suck it! 

#Packers WR Randall Cobb on Khalil Mack: "I thought he was coming here. I thought I was going to wake up and find out we got him. Some things happen, and obviously he ended up in Chicago. That’s part of it. That’s part of the business."

:lmao: Oooof! Sorry, Pack. Suck it! 
:lmao: Ooooof! You do realize Cobb was joking when he was talking about this?

Sorry, Bears fans. Da Bears still suck

They probably won't do it (approximate Mack's value), because look at what they've been doing so far this offseason - a bunch of nonsensical crap. But if Chicago finishes last in their division the next two years (very possible) then a good GM should be able to work with whatever two 1st round draft picks that equates to and find some FA talent with the extra cash.
If this is "dropping logic," I'll pass. Signing Allen Robinson and Trey Burton and drafting a talented middle linebacker. Anthony Miller has some buzz. Pace has had some big whiffs. This year seems like he executed a halfway decent plan. 

If this is "dropping logic," I'll pass. Signing Allen Robinson and Trey Burton and drafting a talented middle linebacker. Anthony Miller has some buzz. Pace has had some big whiffs. This year seems like he executed a halfway decent plan. 
I was talking about Oakland in what you bolded.

Swaggy Nagy going with rotating captains each week.  A tiny slice of the Trestmanian style returns.

a savvy GM drafts a QB every year in the first round, in case the last years sucks.
Every year? No. Might want that option in year 3 or 4, though. I think the odds are in favor of Trubisky succeeding, but it's wise to pack two parachutes. 

Surprisingly 1st round draft picks are not just for QBs. A savvy GM drafts replacements in the early rounds for the guys they can't afford to re-sign. Non-savvy GMs end up drafting those replacements in the later rounds because they traded away all their early round picks.

Every year? No. Might want that option in year 3 or 4, though. I think the odds are in favor of Trubisky succeeding, but it's wise to pack two parachutes. 

Surprisingly 1st round draft picks are not just for QBs. A savvy GM drafts replacements in the early rounds for the guys they can't afford to re-sign. Non-savvy GMs end up drafting those replacements in the later rounds because they traded away all their early round picks.
Give me an real-life example of a GM who drafts early round replacements for QBs in the first round every 3-4 years.  What teams are currently doing this and how many of these teams are consistently in the playoffs year-after-year?  

I mean this in the most positive way:   I hope the Bears kick a&$   for years to come so I don’t have to put @flapgreen on ignore — when the Bears don’t do well, he’s insufferable— I want the opposite.  Best of luck to the Bears’ season. 

damn it! I want to get this thing started. Haven't been this excited for a bears opener in years. I have no clue what I am going to see tonight!!
You're going to see the best defense in football when their first game en route to an eventual super bowl championship.

Made me sick to my stomach seeing Mack in uniform.

Enjoy.  Watch him every play, he's even better than you think.   :angry:

No, that's definitely not effectively what happened. They effectively gave up two 1st round picks to get exclusive negotiating rights to sign a FA + 1 year of his services under a rookie contract. If they effectively used their 2019 1st on Mack then he'd be getting paid maybe $9M/year. 
Bwahahahahaha

No, that's definitely not effectively what happened. They effectively gave up two 1st round picks to get exclusive negotiating rights to sign a FA + 1 year of his services under a rookie contract. If they effectively used their 2019 1st on Mack then he'd be getting paid maybe $9M/year. 
Like I said, move along. 

Holy #### what a half. Did everybody take note of when Smith and Mack were out there together? OMG

I'm trying to temper the excitement here but this is an impressive unit. 
I’m pretty sure Roquan got a sack on his first snap of the season - Mack helped by getting there first 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Holy #### what a half. Did everybody take note of when Smith and Mack were out there together? OMG

I'm trying to temper the excitement here but this is an impressive unit. 
Right there with you.  Biggest worry so far is still Trubisky.  He hasn't looked great throwing the ball outside of the one pass to Robinson.  He looks like he may have a team around him, and he needs to be the player Pace hoped he was drafting.

Users who are viewing this thread