What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (18 Viewers)

I’d be more ok with the pick if we didn’t drop much further down and didn’t give up another 2020 pick.  I get it that some have compared him to Kareem Hunt and one guy mentioned LT2, but he reminds me of just a more elusive Thomas Jones that still gets caught from behind due to no second gear.

Oh well, Nagy now has his “bellcow.”  Let’s see if the staff can get him in the weight room and work on that vertical and long speed.  Pass catching skills seem to be a bonus.  Pass protection is said to be iffy and he doesn’t sell routes when he doesn’t get targeted.

Would’ve been better to hang onto Howard and trade him during the draft, but it is what it is.  Monty’s a sticks-mover and can create something out of nothing, so keeping more drives going will be a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No question, Monty’s a good value where they picked him and I think this is much more of a Nagy pick than Pace.

It’s just weird that while he’s very elusive in making the first guy miss, you don’t see that elusiveness when he gets to the second level.  If he can improve his awareness once in space to take further advantage of his innate shiftiness, he’s going to be very dangerous indeed.

What’s rather cool about him is he apparently watched a lot of old school tape of Sanders, Dickerson and Walter, trying to pattern his game after each of them.  Props for that.

Ok, a little more agility at the second level than I initially thought.  The clips shown on the draft and even in some analyst articles didn’t show enough of Monty’s primary skillset.

While he’s going to find gaps close earlier and breaking tackles won’t be nearly so easy, this vid does show off quite a bit more.

https://youtu.be/NtF63MBYcCk

I like that he doesn’t act like an idiot when he scores, shows just the right amount of emotion and gives the ball to the ref.

Feeling better about it.

Would've taken Sternberger there but love the Montgomery pick, too. Really needed him.  Would like Hooker or another DB in the 4th.  Or TE
Hooker and Julian Love are my clear 1 and 2 priorities for the 4th. I'd also be ok with Ridley as a value pick.

Otherwise I wouldn't hate a trade down if the value is decent. So many guys closely grouped now. 

Ridley:

Best contested catch rate in SEC (75%), passer rating of 133.8 when targeted (2018).

Robinson’s backup, IMO.

Ridley:

Best contested catch rate in SEC (75%), passer rating of 133.8 when targeted (2018).

Robinson’s backup, IMO.
Pace already preparing for life without Arob and Gabriel eventually.  He's turned into such a savvy GM now.  I'm really worried about TE. 

Was wanting one of the big  O tackes with first 7th rounder...scat back hmmm. Still there at 24

From Hoge:

One of the knocks on Devin Singletary was that his production/carries decreased in 2018. That’s because Lane Kiffin couldn’t keep Kerrith Whyte off the field. Whyte doesn’t have Montgomery’s instincts, but he does have explosive speed. Home run hitter. Likely return game factor.

Here's how the #Bears view their 2019 draft.

1st: Khalil Mack

2nd: Anthony Miller

No. 73: RB David Montgomery, Iowa State

No. 126: WR Riley Ridley, Georgia

No. 205: CB Duke Shelley, Kansas State

No. 222: RB Kerrith Whyte Jr., FAU

No. 238: CB Stephen Denmark, Valdosta St.

How they look to me:

Shelley - Nickel corner

Whyte - Returner & Cohen backup (CoP)

Denmark - Safety (not a true CB)

UDFAs should be interesting.  So far:

Baylor OL Blake Blackmar - 6’5”, 323 lbs, 32x225

Laval EDGE Mathieu Betts - 6’3”, 254 lbs, 23x225

Georgia Southern TE Ellis Richardson - ?

Missouri WR Emanuel Hall - 6’2”, 201 lbs, 4.39 40, 43” vert

Delaware WR Joe Walker

SDSU K John Baron

Illinois State WR Spencer Schnell (MVC OPOY)

Buffalo EDGE Chuck Harris

Kansas OL John Wirtel

Colgate WR Thomas Ives

Notre Dame iOL Sam Mustipher

Notre Dame iOL Alex Bars

Southern Utah OL Marquez Tucker

Colorado State-Pueblo CB Darius Williams

Utah State TE Dax Raymond

Montgomery and Ridley were very good picks.  Steals for sure.  Don’t know much about the others.

Denmark is supposed to be a monster on paper but very, very raw.  

Watched some Emanuel Hall highlights, to perhaps pick up on why he fell out of the draft.  Definitely a blazer, but he doesn’t go up and high point the ball often, preferring to let the ball come into him instead.  Doesn’t break tackles and goes down on first contact.

In a post-draft article basically said he’d be mad even at the team who signed him afterward, since they “didn’t get him.”

Huge chip on his shoulder now; hope he takes advantage and improves upon his weaknesses.

Decent crop of UDFAs. The ND OL guys are always a good swing. 

Hall could make a name.

This Bettis kid from Canada has a real fun highlight package vs sub par competition, but he could push for a 4th or 5th edge rusher.

Rookie minicamp going on.  They have eight (!) kickers in a preliminary battle.

At the end of yesterday’s practice session, they each lined up to try a 43-yard FG as a reminder of where Parkey’s miss (yes, partially blocked) ended our season.  Only 2 of 8 made it.

Rookie UDFA Baron was one of the makers, but still can’t find who the other maker was.  Redford Jones hit the left upright (instant cut).

Anyway, I think the message is pretty clear that we acquired more offensive weapons (even though luck played a role with our first two picks) in the draft to emphasize putting more points on the board.  We score more points and control the ball for longer drives, then relying on a kicker should be less of a factor at the end of games.

I’m pulling for Fry first and Baron second.

Training camp starts in less than two weeks...  Pretty quiet around here lately.

OTAs were solid and no major injuries, all the drafted rookies reportedly looked good.

Lots of regression talk due to a tougher schedule but if the offense improves and the defense only drops off slightly, we’ll be in good shape.

Other talk has been about Trubador looking way more comfortable in the offense.  PFF continues to dump on him for certain things, but I feel he’ll make a solid jump towards more consistent passing production week-to-week.

As far as the kicking competition goes, still pulling for Fry, but would not be unhappy with Pineiro.  If both suck in camp, old man Matt Bryant is now available.  He has been very accurate the past three seasons, although kicking in a dome and mostly warm weather opponent arenas is nothing like kicking in Soldier Field during late fall and winter.

As I mentioned previously, improving offensive production should result in fewer last-second kicking chances, but we shall see.

Can’t believe anyone else is not posting.  These are exciting times with the high expectations and all.

My main man Wims is looking sharp per multiple podcasters.  He’s backing up Robinson, who reportedly is looking quicker and catching everything.

Anthony Miller is still a bit out of sync and Trub’s accuracy has improved but is underthrowing deep sideline passes.

Riley Ridley started camp off with a hammy, so he hasn’t practiced.

Monty has held true to his scouting report, while Mike Davis has looked like garbage.  Tarik is Tarik and fires up the crowd every time he touches the ball, but he did drop a handoff, which Mack scooped up and scored.

UDFA WR Thomas Ives out of Colgate is turning many heads.  Both Halls have been meh.

Defense is blitzing much more often, as expected.

Duke Shelley is going to be a fine slot corner; apparently he’s been annoying the offense a lot.

Mack is Mack.  Blowing by linemen with ease.  Hicks is beastly, of course.

Bilal Nichols has reportedly improved a lot.

Iggy looks really quick at ILB.

As far as the kicking competition goes, a couple podcasters gave really good insight as far as how both Fry and Pineiro are doing.

Fry kicks more of a high trajectory floater while Pineiro kicks stronger lower trajectory drives that will “cut through the wind” better than Fry’s.  With the swirling winds at SF, Eddy seems like the better choice.

Emanuel Hall cut.  Couldn’t recover well enough from an off-season sports hernia procedure and missed a lot of practices.

Burton: pretty much the same deal; slowly bringing him along.

Shaheen much more down than up with his own injury issues.

A. Miller out for awhile with a sprained ankle.

Kicking battle continues; Fry played better than Pineiro vs. CAR last week.

Monty looked real good in limited action.

D still wrecking the O in practices (mostly).

Some saltiness (Wims swung a couple of times at Amukamara) today.

Nagy clearly saving guys for the 100 bowl.

Preseason game #2 at NYG Friday evening will be live on NFLN (better than waiting almost 2 full days as usual).

Downright eerie with how quiet it is in here.

I'm hoping the Monty hype stays quiet through the preseason. 
Barring injury his play is only going to increase the hype.  The Defense and Montgomery have been the only ones receiving consistent praise out of training camp.  He has been really impressive in practice.  As mentioned by others it sounds like Trubisky is struggling going up against the defense and shows occasional flashes. Playing against there D in practice will either slow things down for him during games or make him develop bad habits. I am hoping the former not the later.  I think he will take a step forward this year based on his familiarity with the offense and feel the offensive weapons have improved as well.

offense has scored more than 15 pts just twice in the last 7 games, 5 of them from the tail end of 2018. yes, it's probably time to panic.starters in or not that offense is dull and losing Fangio is going to hurt.

offense has scored more than 15 pts just twice in the last 7 games, 5 of them from the tail end of 2018. yes, it's probably time to panic.starters in or not that offense is dull and losing Fangio is going to hurt.
Defense won't miss a beat and the offense will be twice what it was last year. This is our year. 

You're counting preseason games that don't count. Relax. Chicago went into full safe mode trying to protect Trubisky's shoulder for the playoffs at the end of last season. They'll be fine.

Fry cut.  Eddy left standing, but word is Slye might be a late add.

R.I.P., Ced.

Quit feeding the troll.

Why dont you add in team scrimmages and Madden simulations too? 

Why is Matt Bryant not in navy and orange at this very moment?
They're trying to find our kicker of the future. Bryant is so old now. Pace has built an amazing team, but he really dropped the ball at kicker for sure. Hopefully, he can rectify that this year. He's fixed everything else. If not Pinero or whatever, then he can always go after Sly.  He tried to get the Baltimore kicker and Gould already. Seems to be doing everything he can. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Matt Bryant missed 3 games last year due to a hamstring issue, in addition to having back problems; not exactly what you want.  

I saw it mentioned somewhere that he is pretty terrible in cold weather conditions.

Eddy’s 58-yarder was right down the middle with plenty to spare.  Yes, it was in a dome (roof open), but very confidence-inspiring to see anyway.  Was hyped but at least he didn’t pull a Gramatica.

Fry was picked up by the Ravens for a one-week rental.  Early on I liked the kid, but after his floating style was revealed, it was clear Eddy’s driven style is a better fit for blustery SF.

When the Panthers cut Slye maybe you bring him in for a look, but Eddy just seems like a Grabowski to me...

Vedvik has missed some easy FG tries since going to the Vikes, so he’s no phenom and a fifth-rounder in return was ridiculous.

As I inferred months ago, just put more points on the board so games don’t come down to last-second kicks.  Then it’s all moot.

Users who are viewing this thread