What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (29 Viewers)

The organization hyped Mike all offseason for his experience, then ran an offense designed for a rookie to protect the qb in his first game.  They're not fooling many with that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Allowed 23 points to Atlanta and you're pointing out a couple plays from the defense as a huge reason for the loss.  Not all the stops the defense had all day. And not all the offensive ineptitude and poor qb play.  A competent performance from a qb and we win that game.  Blaming it on the defense or OL is deflection away from the main problem. The qb 
The defense do play well overall but that means crap when they allow a severe screw up like letting a player go down the field uncovered.  I'm not solely blaming the defense for the loss, just saying it has to be accounted for.  It would be stupid to blame just the defense, just like it would be stupid to blame just the coaches.  

Glennon did not have that doo of a game but I give him credit for giving them a shot to win at the end.  The OL played decent but needs to work on better pass protection.  I don't think I need to say anything about the WRs since we all know.

This. He catches that ball and Glennon magically goes from being to blame for everything to engineering a 4th quarter win. Howard's brick hands should be catching at least as much grief as Glennon.
Bellamy should have caught that ball before Howard too although it was a more difficult catch to make.  The one thing I thought about with Howard's drop was it seemed like Glennon's pass was way too slow.  It's like Howard was just there waiting for it and was anticipating the hit coming.  Maybe I remember it wrong but I feel like Glennon could have zipped that in there a little faster.  Regardless, Howard HAS to catch that.

This. He catches that ball and Glennon magically goes from being to blame for everything to engineering a 4th quarter win. Howard's brick hands should be catching at least as much grief as Glennon.
You're right.  Howard should've caught that ball. Big mistake. If Glennon hadn't been helpless for three quarters, it wouldn't have mattered, though. I'll leave it alone now. Trubisky will be in soon enough. 

Bellamy should have caught that ball before Howard too although it was a more difficult catch to make.  The one thing I thought about with Howard's drop was it seemed like Glennon's pass was way too slow.  It's like Howard was just there waiting for it and was anticipating the hit coming.  Maybe I remember it wrong but I feel like Glennon could have zipped that in there a little faster.  Regardless, Howard HAS to catch that.
Bellamy lost us multiple games last year because of dropped passes.  It's my mind boggling why they brought him back. Guess what. He dropped another one at a critical time. Easy to predict these things. 

Bellamy lost us multiple games last year because of dropped passes.  It's my mind boggling why they brought him back. Guess what. He dropped another one at a critical time. Easy to predict these things. 
He should have caught that TD pass but I will defend him a little, that was not an easy catch to make. I'm not sure there was any other WR on the team that was going to make that catch either.

The fact that Cohen wasnt on the field for most of that final drive, especially in the red zone, is criminal. You have absolute wastes of space at WR lined up out there and your most dynamic player on the bench. That cant happen. Even if you dont go to him, he was causing matchup fits for Atlanta all day, make them work pre-snap.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Yeah, I thought I remembered another guy dropping a pass, too, but Howard's was the most egregious, IMO. And yes, I thought the same thing about ball speed, but he didn't know when Howard was going to turn around. Don't want to bounce it off his back...

I understand flapgreen's frustration. Personally, I wish the Texans had signed Glennon and drafted Kizer to groom. Instead we blew two 1sts on Watson and traded away a 2nd (with Oz) to make cap space for... nobody. So both front offices are similarly inept.

Howard got popped right after the ball got there. That's a tough catch to make, and it's not clear that he would've gotten into the end zone even if he did catch it (watching the replay, it looks like his hands never crossed the goal-line). It could've been the end of the game with the clock running out at the half yard line.

On the Bellamy target on first down it looked like Glennon did everything he could and the receiver just didn't bring it in. On the Howard target on second down I blame Glennon (for not getting the ball there sooner) more than I blame Howard (for not catching it).

Something else to keep in mind. This was the first game in true live action that Glennon has had and the team game planned for. They made adjustments at halftime and got markedly better. Not only the first game for him, but the first game of the year. 

I guess Tom Brady should be benched for Garappolo. Brady went 16-36 for 267 and zero TD's.  Glennon went 28-40 for 213 and 1 TD. Plus the Patriots lost by 15 points. 

Imagine if Glennon and the Bears can build on what they did in the second half. I think too many of you (mostly Flapgree) are just trying to advance the agenda of starting Trubisky. You're failing to see the forest through the trees. 

I know Glennon may not be the long term solution and that Trubisky may well be. But, it's been said over and over, we aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, so what does it hurt to bring the rookie along slowly. 

Something else to keep in mind. This was the first game in true live action that Glennon has had and the team game planned for. They made adjustments at halftime and got markedly better. Not only the first game for him, but the first game of the year. 

I guess Tom Brady should be benched for Garappolo. Brady went 16-36 for 267 and zero TD's.  Glennon went 28-40 for 213 and 1 TD. Plus the Patriots lost by 15 points. 

Imagine if Glennon and the Bears can build on what they did in the second half. I think too many of you (mostly Flapgree) are just trying to advance the agenda of starting Trubisky. You're failing to see the forest through the trees. 

I know Glennon may not be the long term solution and that Trubisky may well be. But, it's been said over and over, we aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, so what does it hurt to bring the rookie along slowly. 
Your post became invalid when you used Brady and Garoppolo as a reference point.  Don't play the better qb because "we aren't the Super Bowl this year" is just terribly thought out.  Still haven't seen any "football" reasons Glennon should be playing over Trubisky.

Glennon being paid huge money. You give him 3 more games to show he's worth it, while not running the offense like you're protecting your qb.  If he doesn't show he can help you win, off to the bench he goes. They didn't make Trubisky 2nd string if Glennon wasn't on a short leash.  No more training wheels and excuses for Glennon. Earn the money 

And where in the hell was Floyd yesterday? All I heard was how powerful and dominant he became during offseason. Invisible 

I already knew Glennon sucked. No shocker. Floyd may have been the biggest disappointment to me. Actually expected something from him. Nothing 

Your post became invalid when you used Brady and Garoppolo as a reference point.  Don't play the better qb because "we aren't the Super Bowl this year" is just terribly thought out.  Still haven't seen any "football" reasons Glennon should be playing over Trubisky.

Glennon being paid huge money. You give him 3 more games to show he's worth it, while not running the offense like you're protecting your qb.  If he doesn't show he can help you win, off to the bench he goes. They didn't make Trubisky 2nd string if Glennon wasn't on a short leash.  No more training wheels and excuses for Glennon. Earn the money 
So the fact that this was the first game of the year counts for nothing? My Brady reference was to show that the first game of the year is an adjustment for every player. Even a hall of fame qb. It is also fact that Glennon improved the further along he went in the game. Should he continue that improvement, then doesn't he deserve to start. 

For some reason, you believe Trubisky is a hall of fame qb, he just needs to start. 

flapgreen said:
And where in the hell was Floyd yesterday? All I heard was how powerful and dominant he became during offseason. Invisible 
Don't think I heard his name once. 

flapgreen said:
Floyd was on the field plenty and played well. The did not have him pressure the QB often but instead had him dropping back into coverage. 

He actually played some solid pass defense.

For all the good Pace has done, he has really left the WR core on shambles. Way worse than when he arrived. Let his only legitimate receiver go without any type of replacement. Now, we're left with Wright, Bellamy, Thompson, and Wheaton(when he plays). The Bears have had some terrible cores over the years but this has to be the worst by far. Really pitiful group. Looks like they signed a 5'8 guy I've never heard of today with 1 catch in 3 years and are still keeping Gentry on the practice squad.  Letting Alshon go with no replacement was idiotic. 

Need to get Deebo Samuel when draft-eligible.  Kid is electric and similar to Cohen as a playmaker.  You heard it here first.

Whats the deal on Gentry, is he a Cameron Meredith in the making?
Gentry had the best preseason of all the WRs.  I believe he is known as more of a deep threat and is pretty good and making plays on those deep passes.  A great example was of Trubisky throwing a deep ball to him for a TD in, I believe, the third preseason game.  I'm happy they put him back on the roster.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Whats the deal on Gentry, is he a Cameron Meredith in the making?
Only if Trubador gets in there.  Giraffe hasn't worked with him much.  Word on the street is he was placed on the practice squad because of needing to improve his route-running, so he's mainly a "go deep" guy now.

Freeman to IR with pec injury. Devastating to the defense. Freeman and Hicks are the heart and soul of this D.  There goes that top D

Dammit Pace. Why can't this guy build an injury proof team. 

Also, I like how Flap now has an excuse for this not being a too 10 defense. 

The #Bears had 12 players land on IR in 2015, 19 in 2016 and 7 already in 2017. A whopping 38 under John Fox's tenure so far.

The #Bears had 12 players land on IR in 2015, 19 in 2016 and 7 already in 2017. A whopping 38 under John Fox's tenure so far.
When I said that this team will be lucky to win more than 6 games or that this defense is not a too 10 defense, it's because injuries and depth are a huge factor. 

You didn't agree with me then. Maybe you so now 

How does that compare to the rest of the league? Without knowing that it's pretty much meaningless. I know it seems like a lot but I have no idea if it's more than the average. 

#Bears OC Dowell Loggains on why Tarik Cohen wasn't on field more at end vs ATL: "He's not ready to handle the burden of everything now."

Touched ball 16 times during game. :confused:

#Bears OC Dowell Loggains on why Tarik Cohen wasn't on field more at end vs ATL: "He's not ready to handle the burden of everything now."

Touched ball 16 times during game. :confused:
How long is he going to hold up with 20 touches a game?  Aren't you the one complaining about the injuries too?  What would you say if they gave it to him that often and he got hurt too?

What do injuries have to do with Cohen being more involved on the last drive? Note: it wasn't because he couldn't "handle the burden."

Users who are viewing this thread