What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (15 Viewers)

7th round. Not sure why anyone would use a pick on a guy that is so inaccurate. K-Stink is inaccurate. All you have to do is watch film of that and see what inaccuracy looks like. It's brutal. You can't fix it.
He'll be first qb off and go top 5. Most of the qb needy teams will love to have him

Gabriel: News that Jonathan Allen has moderate arthritis in both shoulders is huge. Fact is arthritic conditions never improve, they only get worse

He'll be first qb off and go top 5. Most of the qb needy teams will love to have him
They won't after the fact. Everyone knows that that one of the top characteristics of a QB is accuracy. Without it, you are K-stink or OsWILDer. They will then pick near the bottom again or even 1st overall and then potentially hand Sam Darnold over to some smart team.

I would disagree. Great arm.  Great deep ball. Great feet.  Pocket passer.  Can make every NFL throw. Prototypical size and is fast.  No other qb in this draft has anywhere near that many attributes. 

And quick release 

Last edited by a moderator:
He's 21. What reasoning are you using to say he can't improve accuracy? Saying you can't "fix that" makes no sense to me. 

I would disagree. Great arm.  Great deep ball. Great feet.  Pocket passer.  Can make every NFL throw. Prototypical size and is fast.  No other qb in this draft has anywhere near that many attributes. 

And quick release 
Oh, he's got all that, yeah but he's also inaccurate. That's his biggest negative.

Weaknesses

Gets stuck on primary read missing out on early openers around field. May not have eyes or compact release to spot and hit flashing targets. Can be too reliant upon arm strength over mechanics. Wants open throwing window rather than operating with early anticipation. Can improve in leading receivers and throwing stationary targets open. Too hesitant. Gets caught in pump fake vortex at times. Quick to drop his eyes and halt progressions when pocket warms up. Inconsistent decision-maker. Showed dreadful lapses in judgement that lead to interceptions. Too willing to make off-balanced heaves.

He's 21. What reasoning are you using to say he can't improve accuracy? Saying you can't "fix that" makes no sense to me. 
Here's the problem. Take him in the 1st round, (you and I both know he won't sit long if at all), and you create a recipe for failure. He lacks experience and is inaccurate...IN COLLEGE. In the pros he will become David Carr...drop back, see 1st read covered, run. Wash, rinse repeat...wash out of league. He doesn't 'throw his WR's open' One weakness is he waits for someone to be open before he lets it go. You an learn that while watching. He will be playing if he's in the top 5.

Seriously, you will wish this guy was never on your team. Some team is going to suck bad and get Sam Darnold, who is infinitely better than anyone in this class. That will be the lucky franchise.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788541/article/usc-qb-sam-darnold-generating-buzz-at-2017-nfl-combine

No qb in this draft is near perfect.  You also have to take into account how bad the talent around him was this year. He was much better last year.   Out of this qb class, he easily has the biggest upside.  He'll go first because he has all of the tools. Whether he's successful or not, who knows. 

Here's the problem. Take him in the 1st round, (you and I both know he won't sit long if at all), and you create a recipe for failure. He lacks experience and is inaccurate...IN COLLEGE. In the pros he will become David Carr...drop back, see 1st read covered, run. Wash, rinse repeat...wash out of league. He doesn't 'throw his WR's open' One weakness is he waits for someone to be open before he lets it go. You an learn that while watching. He will be playing if he's in the top 5.

Seriously, you will wish this guy was never on your team. Some team is going to suck bad and get Sam Darnold, who is infinitely better than anyone in this class. That will be the lucky franchise.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788541/article/usc-qb-sam-darnold-generating-buzz-at-2017-nfl-combine
Any qb starting on this team as a rookie is a recipe for failure. Pace and Fox are trying to save their jobs and practice what they've been preaching, plain and simple.  Pace already looks like a fool by not drafting a qb in his first 2 years after he already said he could draft a qb every year.  They'll get a qb, somehow. I think it's most likely to be with the 3rd pick or after they trade down with the 3rd pick. 

3. Where do you think? Definitely not falling out of top 5. He'll be the first qb taken. 
I'd be sad if we took him there, so when you said praying I thought you may mean our second round pick.  Just don't think any of those QB's are worth a top 3 pick when there will be guys that I think will have much better careers sitting there.

The Allen news is interesting and concerning though.  I was really hoping for him there.

I was hoping for Allen too. I haven't been too excited about the Quarterbacks but if they have one they really like I'm fine taking them third but would really rather they wait.

I guess one of the top Safeties either Hooker or Allen would be good. God knows we need defensive backs badly.

Overall I really hope they mostly go Best Player. We aren't that strong anywhere that we can afford to pass on true talent.

I read this morning that the Bears were actively shopping their 3rd overall pick which doesn't surprise me.  They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't shopping it to see what they could get.

Now that it looks like Allen isn't an option at 3 I guess it's either QB, CB or S.  I don't know why but I am not as excited for this pick compared to how I was a couple months ago.  It doesn't seem there is a true top 5 players in this draft.  It seems like Garrett is the only, no doubt player.  It just doesn't feel like the Bears have a major advantage having that 3rd pick over other teams.

Free agency starts in 1 week. Along with re-signing Alshon, the Bears need to be looking at Poe, Gilmore and Stills first,  then Jefferson/Bouye after them.  Any two of those guys is a start.  

If Pace lets Alshon go for 14-15 million, he's a fool and nothing else will even matter. 

I agree 14 or so million is the price to pay for Jeffery.

I know we have a lot of cap space. Anyone think there is any chance we could get Jeffery and Robert Woods. I like Woods a lot but only as a number two. Haven't heard what he might be going for.

It is possibly too much for receivers in free agency but if they did that and got a good defensive player it would allow them to focus on defense and QB in the draft plus a TE if one is available at a good spot.

Now that I've typed that it seems like wishful thinking that we can sign that many good free agents but this is the best time of year to be optimistic.

If we're going to keep Alshon and sign another wr in FA, it should be Stills. This team is still dreadfully slow. But I don't see them doing that. 

Looking at the grades on NFl.com, which I know isn't necessarily a definitive guide, I really think they need to focus on defense in this draft. Would love to see a defensive player at 3 then a QB who slips or they just like in the 2nd or 3rd. We need to improve the OL with tackles and some depth but there doesn't seem to be much available this year. Although I'm never opposed to linemen on either side I just don't want to see them reach for one when there is good defensive talent available.

If they can focus on D this year maybe next year will allow for a good Offensive Lineman or two.

flapgreen said:
If we're going to keep Alshon and sign another wr in FA, it should be Stills. This team is still dreadfully slow. But I don't see them doing that. 
Alshon is looking to get around $14.5M and Stills is looking to get $12M.  Even if you got them both for slightly less you'd have close to $24M tied up in two WRs.  The Bears have the money to do it but that's a lot of money dedicated just to WRs.  I would enjoy seeing that group though because I think Stills has something to offer.

Don't Poe and Goldman play the same position though?  Are you planning on moving one or sitting one?  I'd rather be starting Goldman over Poe.
For one, you could put them both on the field at the same time. Two powerful guys who have shown they can dominate. Secondly, Goldman hasn't shown he could stay healthy. Huge hole in our line when he's not out there. 

For one, you could put them both on the field at the same time. Two powerful guys who have shown they can dominate. Secondly, Goldman hasn't shown he could stay healthy. Huge hole in our line when he's not out there. 
I'm perfectly fine with that as depth but are either of them going to be alright with a back up roll or part time roll?  I read that neither of them are good at playing other positions on the line so having them both on the field may not work well.  I don't know if I believe that but I have read it more than once.

poe is another nose tackle. Would be good to have on the team, but if you are looking for a lineman to have on the field at the same time as Goldman, why not go for a couple years of Campbell from Arizona, he's a great 3-4 DE.

I'm perfectly fine with that as depth but are either of them going to be alright with a back up roll or part time roll?  I read that neither of them are good at playing other positions on the line so having them both on the field may not work well.  I don't know if I believe that but I have read it more than once.
You have to remember they don't stay in base defense all the time. It's not like one will really be backing up the other, but I don't know. Just a thought we could never have too many big boys on the dl. 

poe is another nose tackle. Would be good to have on the team, but if you are looking for a lineman to have on the field at the same time as Goldman, why not go for a couple years of Campbell from Arizona, he's a great 3-4 DE.
They could both play down there at same time or rotate in and put multiple times on drives. It could only make the line that much more powerful, but Campbell is solid as well. He's also 30, though. 

You have to remember they don't stay in base defense all the time. It's not like one will really be backing up the other, but I don't know. Just a thought we could never have too many big boys on the dl. 
I agree that it's not a bad idea to have both.  I've seen this brought up a lot on Twitter and the response was that they both wouldn't play at the same time because that's not their strength.  I don't know myself, just relaying the info I've read from the so called experts.

John Fox says he hopes Bears draft 'someone he's gotten a chance to watch' 

This guy. Smh. I get why Elway fired him. 

The #Bears and FA WR Alshon Jeffery's agent had a positive meeting today, I'm told. Both sides are more than open to a reunion....

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Too many ? with him for anyone to give him big $. Suspension, hurt last 2 years I think. Too many good WRs in this draft. Bad year to be one of the top guys available. Teams that really need him are so bad they would be wasting their time: NYJ, BUF, CLE. Doesn't look like he's getting what he thought he was going to get.

If he makes it to FA, he's the best wr to make it there in many years. Who was the last of his caliber to make it to FA? 

If he makes it to FA, he's the best wr to make it there in many years. Who was the last of his caliber to make it to FA? 
Yes he is, just the wrong year to be a FA WR. You want to sign him if you are a contender, not a pretender. TENN & KC & BALT are the best bets as a contender who could use him. However, now they can get Marshall cheaper.

I just see it differently. Anytime is a good time be a top WR. Tons of teams with a lot of cap space.  Antonio just got a huge deal.  The new reports have me hopeful he's coming back to the Bears. 

Trubiskey and Watson having good days only helps the Bears. Don't think it affects Kizer being first qb off. And could add more value to the #3 pick

Pretty much will have chance at either Kizer or Watson at 3. I can't see them not taking a qb with 3rd pick. Who knows when they'll get a top 3 pick again. 

Free agency list. 

Secondary FA Targets:

Logan Ryan

Dre Kirkpatrick 

Maurice Claiborne 

John Cyprien

Amukamara

Micah Hyde

Swearinger

WR

Robert Woods

Terrell Pryor 

Coradelle Patterson 

LB

Hightower 

TE

Fasano

DL

Brandon Williams 

Dontario Poe

RT

Riley Reiff

Russell Okung

Fluker

Mike Glennon would be the second best QB on the team behind Hoyer and probably one of the most boneheaded signings since giving Cutler all that money.  

I would have liked to have seen Mike get a real shot at starting for Tampa, but instead, Lovie brought in McCown to be his starter and when that inevitably completely bombed he drafted Jameis.  Glennon can certainly be at least a serviceable placeholder QB if Chicago would like to draft and develop one of the more raw prospects in this draft.

I have to believe Pace is smarter than this. He's been around a while now. Surely he doesn't think Glennon is a good option. 

Bears fans. We are dong a mock draft here and currently the Bears are on the clock at pick 3.

Picks so far were

DE Garret

DT Jonathan Allen

Who do you think the Bears should select here?

Users who are viewing this thread