What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (8 Viewers)

B/R says GB is set to hire Pettine as DC, which may indicate Fangio might be staying.  At least he isn't going up north.  Would like to see him stay.  Do not want to see a transition back to the 4-3 so soon.

Bieniemy elevated to OC in KC. Wonder if Nagy will bring Heck as OC to Chicago.  The Fangio situation is really strange.  Would be helpful if he stayed around and was able to keep his staff intact on defense, but he doesn't need to stay if he doesn't want to be here.  It sure would help the current coach put having some vets around running defense and hopefully a couple on his offensive staff as well. 

Titans/Chiefs replay on NFL Network now. Watching to see how his playcalling fell apart in the 2nd half.

For future reference.  I wasn't watching that closely the first time around, since I figured the Chiefs would win easily. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one highly questionable call was the third and a short 1 where Smith kept the ball and rolled strong side with the line moving that way.  Should have gone weak with a pitch out to Hunt.

Missed FG after recovering a muffed punt, dropped ball on third and 2 right to Orson Charles (instead of Kelce).

Credit to the Titans for tightening up their defense and then running over the Chiefs' D on O.

Chiefs just didn't execute on both sides of the ball in the second half and the missed FG likely cost them the game.  Ticky-tack holding call kept them out of FG range on a Smith scramble early during their last drive and two (possibly three) dropped balls didn't help.

Nothing to be overly concerned about.

:oldunsure:

It's still a little early but the odds of Fangio staying with the Bears is getting higher.  Other positions around the league are filling up leaving Fangio with fewer options.

I like this hire for the Bears. Trubisky needs an offensive minded coach to assist in his development. And it appears Fangio will be retained so there will be some continuity on that side of the ball. It also shows that Nagy can put his ego aside for the team. (Much like McVay did last year hiring Phillips.) The arrow is pointing up for the Bears IMO!

Hired ST coach from Cleveland. Not too excited about that, but here's a post from Patrick Mannelly. Coached here under Toub.

Chris Tabor is the real deal. One of my favorite coaches I ever played for. He coached thru 5 GM’s and 4 head coaches in Cleveland. They wouldn’t let him go. #Bears are lucky to get him.

Pretty pleased with how all this has panned out.  Glad to see an offensive minded coach to ensure continuity with Trubisky, regardless of OCs coming and going.

This may be a bit offbeat, but whatever the play calling situation was in the second half of the playoff game, making mistakes and learning from mistakes is part of coaching.  Making mistakes on someone else's team that you can learn from coaching the team I follow...I can deal with that.

So far coaching hires are solid, seen some Twitter rumors of an offensive coordinator hire that will "rock the league."  A bit baffled who that could be, but we'll see.

If nothing else, for one short period in time, the Bears are in a state of (seeming) continuity.  It's been a long time since they have achieved such a state.

Great coaching hires so far.  Still waiting on Fangio which is a huge deal.  Rumor has it that they will be hiring Mark Helfrich from Oregon for their OC.  If this happens we will be seeing something we've never seen with the offense before.  Things could get exciting.  I really hope they can keep Fangio because so far the focus is all offense.

Great coaching hires so far.  Still waiting on Fangio which is a huge deal.  Rumor has it that they will be hiring Mark Helfrich from Oregon for their OC.  If this happens we will be seeing something we've never seen with the offense before.  Things could get exciting.  I really hope they can keep Fangio because so far the focus is all offense.
Were going to see a much more open offense, being a Oregon Native I like the hire.  Herlfrich has great offense mind, just not a good recruiter, hence his down fall post Chip Kelly at Oregon.  Plus Nagy calling the plays helps out, would be a little worried if he was our full time play caller with no NFL experience.

Looks like a spread/west coast hybrid offense is the plan.  I'm all for something new, as long as there is still a smashmouth element to it.  The more looks shown on O, the more diverse the game planning and the more difficult it will be to defend against (especially if they incorporate multiple up-tempo levels Chip Kelly was known for).

Now we need more quick-twitchers.

Looks like a spread/west coast hybrid offense is the plan.  I'm all for something new, as long as there is still a smashmouth element to it.  The more looks shown on O, the more diverse the game planning and the more difficult it will be to defend against (especially if they incorporate multiple up-tempo levels Chip Kelly was known for).

Now we need more quick-twitchers.
Watch out for Al Wilson and Paul Richardson in FA

Pace is assembling the anti-Fox staff. All young, innovative guys.

The whole Fangio stuff is dragging out too long.  Just hire Bettcher. He's probably a better fit anyway. 

#AZCardinals DC James Bettcher still in play with Chicago. #Bears DC Vic Fangio will likely follow Pat Shurmur wherever he lands.

All young, innovative guys? Aren't half of them are re-hires from past Bears regimes. Why weren't you applauding them when they were here the first time?
I think only two were past hires.  Each coach that's been hired is highly regarded.  Pace has assembled a great staff on paper but now we have to see what they can do.  Things are much more exciting compared to having Fox and Loggains.

I think only two were past hires.  Each coach that's been hired is highly regarded.  Pace has assembled a great staff on paper but now we have to see what they can do.  Things are much more exciting compared to having Fox and Loggains.
Tabor - rehire

London - rehire

Heistand - rehire

Fangio - rehire

Everyone wanted Fangio back and was one of the biggest hires. 

Who ever said they disliked these other coaches and why were they no longer on the team?
You seem to be having trouble keeping up. Superfanflap wants to call all of these guys young and innovative. I would think that someone of his football acumen would have been able to point that out the first time they were here. I betting that he didn't, yet all of a sudden they are exactly that in his mind.

And I have no problem with Fangio being retained, big problem Tressman had was a divided locker room because everyone in there was a Lovie guy. I think this helps keep some harmony, but we're talking young and innovative here. Sorry, but he's not that.

But to be fair, the comment was made before news rebroke today that he was being retained.

It's really not a crazy old staff.  I think Flap was just excited with the Nagy hire and how young he is.  Nagy is 39, London is 42 and Helfrich is 44 so it's not like they are crazy old.  I'm not sure how old Tabor is but he looks at least ten years older and we know Fangio is older.  None of that really matters though.  This is an exciting new coaching staff that should bring a lot of life to the team.  I'm excited.

It's really not a crazy old staff.  I think Flap was just excited with the Nagy hire and how young he is.  Nagy is 39, London is 42 and Helfrich is 44 so it's not like they are crazy old.  I'm not sure how old Tabor is but he looks at least ten years older and we know Fangio is older.  None of that really matters though.  This is an exciting new coaching staff that should bring a lot of life to the team.  I'm excited.
That's not it. He just likes to give me tons of ####. This has been going on for 10 years now. 

#bears staff watch. UPDATE

HC: Matt Nagy 
OC: Mark Helfrich 
QB: Pat O’Hara*
OL: Harry Hiestand  
RB: Charles London 
TE:  Kevin M. Gilbride
WR: Mike Furrey

DC: Vic Fangio
DL: 
DB: 
LB:  

ST: Chris Tabor

Kevin M Gilbride as tight ends coach. Done some great work with the Giants tight ends the last couple years. 

Coached the Giants TEs the past four seasons and their WRs the previous two. Son of former Giants OC Kevin Gilbride.

Ohare interviewing for qb coach position. Not completed yet. Latest news:

Pat O'Hara, Texans offensive assistant who's worked with the QBs under Bill O'Brien, is highly thought of within the organization. He'd be a terrific hire by the Bears under new coach Matt Nagy. Texans don't want to lose him.

Anyone check out the Senior Bowl stuff last week?  See any prospects in there that you think are interesting for the bears in this year's draft?  I've been busy at work, so I really paid no attention to the Senior Bowl.

Today's the day @danpompei makes @BUrlacher54 #CA5E4CANTON. Will we be hearing #54's number called for the Pro Football Hall of Fame later?

More on the all-time #Bears linebacker's bid at https://t.co/HNglJBh7wS https://t.co/JaxoaeZbVB

I really miss the days of Urlacher and all the guys. I doubt we'll see another Bears defense like that. :cry:

Anyone check out the Senior Bowl stuff last week?  See any prospects in there that you think are interesting for the bears in this year's draft?  I've been busy at work, so I really paid no attention to the Senior Bowl.
I'm interested in hearing that as well. Haven't been able to keep up, but if know the more quarterbacks taken ahead of us the better.  The Bears will get another top 5 talent. 

Boom, Alshon! Leaving this pitiful ### franchise is the best decision he ever made. Meanwhile, the Bears wallow in failure. 

won't go there, but was a huge mistake to let him go... He's a good WR, we don't have ANY of those.
I don't think he wanted to be there, Tick.  Hard to keep a guy who doesn't want to be there.  Looks like he made the right decision, too. 

54  :clap:

Well deserved
Man watching a truly special player play for your team is one of the great feelings in sports. I was too young to really appreciate the 85 bears. So Urlacher is really the player that means Chicago Bears football to me. Really happy he made it in first ballot.

Users who are viewing this thread