What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (3 Viewers)

Watson has not looked good at all this year. Plus he’s built like a feather and will always have some kind of injury. He’s the guy I wanted over Mitch but he has not impressed this year. Mitch has higher comp %, more tds, less INTs. 
Mitch would of most likely been there for them at #3. I'm ok with taking Mitch at #3 if he's there. I'd have preferred Watson too, but whatever. Trading 3 picks to get him has to be factored in. 9ers turned the Bears 3rd into a 2nd round pick. Saints took Kamara with the Bears 67th pick. Bears paid for Mitch to be great, to be the guy to not just manage games but to win games. They saw something in Mitch that was head and shoulders above the others in the QB class. Maybe he will eventually show it, but I haven't seen it yet. 

Mitch would of most likely been there for them at #3. I'm ok with taking Mitch at #3 if he's there. I'd have preferred Watson too, but whatever. Trading 3 picks to get him has to be factored in. 9ers turned the Bears 3rd into a 2nd round pick. Saints took Kamara with the Bears 67th pick. Bears paid for Mitch to be great, to be the guy to not just manage games but to win games. They saw something in Mitch that was head and shoulders above the others in the QB class. Maybe he will eventually show it, but I haven't seen it yet. 
True the trade up left a foul taste. 

• Sad
Reactions: -X-
Are we still on this trade up thing? Who cares

Trubisky’s last 3 games:
67-107 (62%)
1,003 YDS
11 TD
3 INT
181 RUSH YDS

115.9 QB RATING
In the last game, 121 of Trubisky’s passing yards came when the Pats had dropped in to a protect shell. That is more than a third of his passing yards. In each of the last two eeeks he had two easy interceptions dropped. The stats do not reflect his play.

One of the biggest reasons for why the Bears took Mitch over everyone else was supposedly his accuracy. I'm not seeing it.

I can buy that the new offense takes time to learn all the plays and to be comfortable in calling them, but either you have accuracy or not. Inexperienced, yes. Which was the complete head scratcher on taking him as the #1 QB. Plenty of tape on Mahomes and Watson, including a national championship. Not sure what Pace and the Bears saw in the 13 college games of Mitch that they fell in love with to trade one spot to get him. 
I agree completely. What makes Brady and Brees so good is, not only their ability to read defenses, but their accuracy. Accuracy was the reason the Bears took him over the other two. But that accuracy has not been evident. A perfect example is a throw he made on a pass to ARob over the middle. ARob had half a step on the corner. If Trubisky leads him it is an easy completion. Instead he throws it to ARobs back hip, and the corner breaks up the pass. We are seeing way too much of this. 

I heard a podcast where they were talking about Tim Tebow. This came from one of the Bronco receivers. Tebow had all the skills to be an NFL QB. The problem was he couldn’t see the field and process that information quickly enough to be successful. We hope that Trubisky gets better at that. But accuracy is something that can’t be taught. If he can’t improve that he will not succeed as an NFL QB.

Interesting article (link at bottom) that analyzes 1st & 2nd year QBs from a holistic perspective.

My short take: Mahomes & Trubador have the highest (equivalent overall) support infrastructure.

Mahomes has had the benefit of learning one offense for two offseasons and one season; flourishing.

Trub was shackled by a distrustful Fox for 3/4 of one season in a terrible offense; has had one offseason and 6 games in a vastly different “modern” offense with all-new receiving weapons.

It’s easy to see Trub is at least 1 year behind Mahomes in absorption of and familiarity with the new offense, his relative college inexperience notwithstanding.

As Trub becomes more comfortable, the performance and efficiency gap between the two should shrink; he just needs more game experience plus some good fortune.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/25/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-young-quarterbacks/

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, looking into their histories, Mahomes has always been around professional athletes, excelled in multiple sports and should be called “The Natural.”

Trub had an easy time in HS but had to wait his turn at UNC even after redshirting.  Didn’t stay for his senior year.  If you watch the UNC games where he was comfortable in the offense, he was very efficient and accurate.  He will have to work hard (and smart) to become proficient and is more of a “Gutty Grinder” type of guy.

We shall see how it turns out, but Mahomes will likely always be better than Trub.  I’m ok with that.

As far as Trub’s inaccuracy goes, much of that can be improved by knowing where his receivers will be and throwing them open early.  His indecisiveness and late throws (or non-throws) to me means lack of trust in plays he is not yet comfortable with, as well as not reading the defense appropriately.  Can’t read a defense if you don’t have complete trust in the plays.

Wide open Turbo in the middle vs. Pats was the biggest example from the last game.

Once Trub knows exactly where his compadres will be on every play, only then will he be able to focus on reading defensive schemes, tendencies from team to team and understanding what I like to call defensive vectoring.  Meaning, defensive players can only cover so much ground when moving in one direction.

If a defender is vectoring towards a location where the ball is going, look elsewhere.  If a defender has to severely change his vector angle to cover a target location, good opportunity.  Of course, Trub has to be aware of multiple defenders with the same principle.  He has to study each defender’s attributes to determine vectoring capabilities (acceleration/quickness, arm length, jumping capability, etc.).  Getting to this level of preparation, analysis and in-game perception can only come after complete trust in the offense is established and as experience against defensive schemes/individuals is accrued.

This is pretty much akin to martial arts concepts.  Use their movements against them to attack that which they cannot protect.

It’s the first time I’ve really thought this deep into how to quantify what goes into beating a defense via the pass, but it becomes logical once you watch successful QBs shred defenses in All-22 review.  Many of the QB greats knew how to exploit and affect (head/ball fakes, looking off, etc.) defensive vectoring innately or as they gained experience.

I’m sure many will think this is a load of garbage, but the internal martial artists out there will know exactly what I’m talking about.

Very true.  Cohen with the screen for a long TD!  Trub recognized the blitz.

Be nice to have a good kicker like the Jets, but Pace continues to look like a fool with kickers. Already cost us one game and will likely cost us more at some point. 

Bears score on a great screen pass and you're hear complaining about the kicker.
Difference is I can recognize the good and bad. I'll brag on the team when warranted and criticize just the same. You live in a fantasy world where everything is great all the time. 

Difference is I can recognize the good and bad. I'll brag on the team when warranted and criticize just the same. You live in a fantasy world where everything is great all the time. 
I do?  I feel like I'm a little more realistic than you.  I also don't overreact as much as you.

Never mind.  Long threw Lee down after the ball got out.  Announcer said it was in response to the personal foul on Trub.  They got it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread