What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (7 Viewers)

What was it about Trubisky they liked?  Not saying Trubisky won’t figure it out, but how could a team avoid so many busts at QB?  I guess that is the million dollar question for a lot of teams.

Boone22 said:
Sam Darnold could be available for a team's second round pick. 

The Jets are widely expected to use the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, making Darnold expendable after Adam Gase nearly destroyed his career. League sources told SportsNet New York's Ralph Vacchiano that the Eagles trading Carson Wentz to the Colts for a third rounder and a conditional second rounder wouldn't change the Jets' asking price for Darnold. Vacchiano reports the Jets' asking price for their QB "has long been projected to be a second-round pick, plus maybe another mid-to-late rounder." Incredibly just 23 years old, Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold. 
There is no way I would give a 2nd round pick for Darnold. He's been bad. Teams like Washington, Chicago, Denver and NE may need a QB so there could be a market her for him, but there's no way I'm moving a 2nd rounder (plus another mid-round pick) for him based on his performance two years in. 

Stick with Foles and go after Mac in the first round. I've been on this train for months now. If Jones doesn't fall to 20, I still don't think it would cost much to move up for him. Then, keep most of your picks and build the team around him. Slowly transition the roster from defense to offense dominant. 

Stick with Foles and go after Mac in the first round. I've been on this train for months now. If Jones doesn't fall to 20, I still don't think it would cost much to move up for him. Then, keep most of your picks and build the team around him. Slowly transition the roster from defense to offense dominant. 
Problem is that the Washington Football Team is at 19, the Patriots are at 15, and the Steelers are at 13.  All need a QB (PIT it depends on what Big Ben does).  No way Jones gets to 20, and you might have to trade up to 12 and there's a chance Jones won't be there at 12.  So you might want to rethink that "cheap" price to move up the draft.  Last real good QB prospect, 4 teams that need one. 

I am glad the Bears didn't trade for Wentz.  But I agree with others, I wouldn't trade a 2nd for Darnold.  That's too rich.

but how could a team avoid so many busts at QB?  I guess that is the million dollar question for a lot of teams.
You can't avoid busts, drafting is an imperfect science. The Bears have ignored all of these draft concepts repeatedly:

- Realize anybody can bust, so don't overpay or fall in love with prospects. Let the draft come to you. 

- Realize its a numbers game, and continually develop young QBs you think could potentially be a starter. You could find a gem at any part of the draft, but you wont if you never draft any. 

- Be willing to be wrong. If its not working, move on. 

These all have one common concept- get yourself as many bites at the apple as you can. Pace did exactly the opposite, to the point of keeping competition out of camp to protect Mitch's confidence (a giant red flag about Mitch btw). So here we are with no young QBs on the roster to kick the wheels on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is that the Washington Football Team is at 19, the Patriots are at 15, and the Steelers are at 13.  All need a QB (PIT it depends on what Big Ben does).  No way Jones gets to 20, and you might have to trade up to 12 and there's a chance Jones won't be there at 12.  So you might want to rethink that "cheap" price to move up the draft.  Last real good QB prospect, 4 teams that need one. 

I am glad the Bears didn't trade for Wentz.  But I agree with others, I wouldn't trade a 2nd for Darnold.  That's too rich.
"Cheap" as compared to what it would take to get almost any other option at qb now. 

A lot of inside buzz on the Bears and Wilson. If Seattle is going to trade him, it will be to the Bears. They're listening. Doesn't mean they will pull the trigger. Houston won't even take any calls on Watson yet.  Idiots 

Last edited by a moderator:
Skrine and Massie gone so far.  Not going to miss either terribly, however, we don't have a better RT on the roster right now, and we don't have any money to find one.  By the time this is over i'm guessing there are going to be some cuts that I'm really going to hate to see leave.

I still don't think there is going to be a major QB trade on our horizon.  I believe most of these team situations will work themselves out, and not having high draft picks really kills us in the trade market.  Even if they are available we'd have to put together such a large trade package it'd hurt the team for years, and we'd have to find some way to fit the salaries under our already bad cap situation.  

Twitter is going crazy with Wilson to Chicago speculation last night. The books seem to be signaling something is imminent. Is it possible???

I think it will happen. And as much as I like the idea of him in Chicago, I do think it seems like an odd fit. His main gripe in Seattle was the porous offensive line. I don't see how coming to the bears is a remedy for that. And then if they have to trade marquee players on defense to get him... essentially they become the Seahawks. 

I really love hearing reports that our front office is in QB "Desperation Mode" for a Quarterback.  Sounds like those guys would give up the next 3 years worth of draft picks and half the roster if they think it will give them an exciting QB and contract extensions.

I really love hearing reports that our front office is in QB "Desperation Mode" for a Quarterback.  Sounds like those guys would give up the next 3 years worth of draft picks and half the roster if they think it will give them an exciting QB and contract extensions.
Cool with me! 

As a Viking fan it is going to suck if the Bears get Wilson. It does make me smile though that he wants to play for the Bears after playing for Wisconsin in college.

The Bears have sold the farm for guys before like the Mack trade so it does seem possible.

Skrine and Massie gone so far.  Not going to miss either terribly, however, we don't have a better RT on the roster right now, and we don't have any money to find one.  By the time this is over i'm guessing there are going to be some cuts that I'm really going to hate to see leave.

I still don't think there is going to be a major QB trade on our horizon.  I believe most of these team situations will work themselves out, and not having high draft picks really kills us in the trade market.  Even if they are available we'd have to put together such a large trade package it'd hurt the team for years, and we'd have to find some way to fit the salaries under our already bad cap situation.  
I was amazed that Massie was still not only playing but starting for a NFL team last year. I think he may have improved from when I was looking at him as a draft prospect but he was really ungood.

Just shows me what a dearth there is of quality offensive linemen in the NFL.

Riley Reiff is available and he played really well last season. Better than Massie ever has for sure.

I think I'd be OK with trading away Robinson if we can sign someone else like Fuller, especially if it can open up some cap room. Get some picks or in a package for a QB?

Watson to Fuller anyone?

I think I'd be OK with trading away Robinson if we can sign someone else like Fuller, especially if it can open up some cap room. Get some picks or in a package for a QB?

Watson to Fuller anyone?
I'm pretty sure Fuller won't be that much cheaper. Give me Robinson any day....

Deranged Hermit said:
I'm pretty sure Fuller won't be that much cheaper. Give me Robinson any day....
What if he doesn't sign his tender? Would you be willing to use Robinson in a package to get a QB then sign Fuller or Golladay?

If I'm Pace, and you're looking at guys like Trubisky, Darnold, Tyrod Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Mariota, Winston, etc. and the NFL draft is coming up in just over a month, why not just wait this out and see if Houston or Seattle blink? Chances are they won't, but are any of these guys better than Foles?

This isn't a defense of Foles. Foles is extremely erratic, but there's nobody on this list who is better outside of maybe Trubisky and he's probably not coming back. I know some like Darnold, but he hasn't played well and I'm certainly not giving a 2nd round pick for him.

I can see Chicago (Nagy) being ok with Foles if it came to that. It was just a year ago that they traded a 4th rounder for him and then the offensive line was awful. If the Bears can upgrade at OT, a big IF, their offensive line can a good line. They do have a good interior already and the biggest problem with Foles was that they couldn't block. If they are able to land a OT early in the draft, the line has a chance to become a strength and I could see Nagy being ok with Foles since he at least knows the offense as well anyone they could bring in.

Now, I don't expect Foles to be the starter to open the season, but I think they should be patient and let the market and draft play itself out. No need to rush into a move on Monday when this should be a buyers market and the Bears may be better off waiting out the Houston/Seattle's situation, or at least until they are convinced there won't be any moves there.

If I'm Pace, and you're looking at guys like Trubisky, Darnold, Tyrod Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Mariota, Winston, etc. and the NFL draft is coming up in just over a month, why not just wait this out and see if Houston or Seattle blink? Chances are they won't, but are any of these guys better than Foles?

This isn't a defense of Foles. Foles is extremely erratic, but there's nobody on this list who is better outside of maybe Trubisky and he's probably not coming back. I know some like Darnold, but he hasn't played well and I'm certainly not giving a 2nd round pick for him.

I can see Chicago (Nagy) being ok with Foles if it came to that. It was just a year ago that they traded a 4th rounder for him and then the offensive line was awful. If the Bears can upgrade at OT, a big IF, their offensive line can a good line. They do have a good interior already and the biggest problem with Foles was that they couldn't block. If they are able to land a OT early in the draft, the line has a chance to become a strength and I could see Nagy being ok with Foles since he at least knows the offense as well anyone they could bring in.

Now, I don't expect Foles to be the starter to open the season, but I think they should be patient and let the market and draft play itself out. No need to rush into a move on Monday when this should be a buyers market and the Bears may be better off waiting out the Houston/Seattle's situation, or at least until they are convinced there won't be any moves there.
I'm pretty much in agreement here. I think our options should be:

Option 1A: Watson 

Option 1B: Wilson 

Option 3: Winston

Option 4:  Trade up in the draft 

Option 5: Wait until everything settles and see who's available after the draft, depending on who drafted a QB. Bridgewater, Ryan, Garoppolo and such may become available.

What if he doesn't sign his tender? Would you be willing to use Robinson in a package to get a QB then sign Fuller or Golladay?
Has there been indication that he would not sigh? Not being snarky,  I just haven't heard anything that he wouldn't. 

Anyway,  I'd rank them:

1. Robinson 

2. Golliday 

3. Fuller

Option 5: Wait until everything settles and see who's available after the draft, depending on who drafted a QB. Bridgewater, Ryan, Garoppolo and such may become available.

I would rather have these guys at QB as well, but I don't see a world where they pull it off without destroying themselves. I would go for one of the many FAs that are all >>>>>>>Trubisky or Foles. 

I would rather have these guys at QB as well, but I don't see a world where they pull it off without destroying themselves. I would go for one of the many FAs that are all >>>>>>>Trubisky or Foles. 
What FA is (or do THEY think is) that much better then Trubisky or Foles??  Most of the FA QBs are largely a wash with Foles IMO, and half of them were available in FA last year when they decided they liked Foles SOOO much more, they gave up a pick to make sure they got him.  Does Fitz for 5 or 6 million really do anything for you?  Doesn't for me yeah, I think he's better than Foles, but not by a ton, with either of them I think the Bears are a 6-8 win team.  They didn't seem to want Winston or Dalton (who I really wanted last year as a second option to Trubisky signed for nothing compared to Foles and played somewhat better on a bad Dallas team).  Smith is done in my opinion.  What else is really out there that is that much better then Foles at this point?

What’s the price of moving to like 9 from 20 to get a qb?  If you can get there with another 1st, a non first and a player ......I’m good.  

What FA is (or do THEY think is) that much better then Trubisky or Foles??  Most of the FA QBs are largely a wash with Foles IMO, and half of them were available in FA last year when they decided they liked Foles SOOO much more, they gave up a pick to make sure they got him.  Does Fitz for 5 or 6 million really do anything for you?  Doesn't for me yeah, I think he's better than Foles, but not by a ton, with either of them I think the Bears are a 6-8 win team.  They didn't seem to want Winston or Dalton (who I really wanted last year as a second option to Trubisky signed for nothing compared to Foles and played somewhat better on a bad Dallas team).  Smith is done in my opinion.  What else is really out there that is that much better then Foles at this point?
Yeah they suck at this. Always have. And while they spend all these labor hours trying to get Wilson (to no avail come on now) or Watson (much more realistic to me), they're not devoting time and energy to other pursuits. At QB and elsewhere. So I actually like Mariota quite a bit myself. I think the Titans misused him and he is way better than Jameis, who I also wouldn't mind. I like Jimmy G, I like Darnold, but for me it is somewhere between Mariota, Winston and moving up in the draft and finally getting it right. I have to assume Watson is cheaper than Wilson but only because maybe Houston brass gives in at the last minute whereas Seattle has zero reason to do that.

Honestly I stopped caring when they hired John Fox.

I'm pretty much in agreement here. I think our options should be:

I agree with this, except for crab legs. Don't need 50 interceptions a year 

What’s the price of moving to like 9 from 20 to get a qb?  If you can get there with another 1st, a non first and a player ......I’m good.  
My guess is that it would take more than that. Maybe two firsts and a player at minimum. I'd be ok with that but I think they'd be scared to do that and make another mistake.

Option 1A: Watson 

Option 1B: Wilson 

❌  Option 3: Winston

Option 4:  Trade up in the draft 

Option 5: Wait until everything settles and see who's available after the draft, depending on who drafted a QB. Bridgewater, Ryan, Garoppolo and such may become available.

My guess is that it would take more than that. Maybe two firsts and a player at minimum. I'd be ok with that but I think they'd be scared to do that and make another mistake.
According to the trade chart - for what it's worth -two firsts and a third should put you top 5.  I would do that all day long- and so should CIncy

I don't agree that they are afraid of another mistake - i think they are trying to save jobs.

Now there are rumors saying the Bears are interested in Dalton. Ugh, please no... unless it’s a one year deal and they plan to draft a QB.

3nOut said:
Now there are rumors saying the Bears are interested in Dalton. Ugh, please no... unless it’s a one year deal and they plan to draft a QB.
I just don't get why we'd need  Dalton when we have Foles on the roster for $5-8million less than what he (Dalton) will want in a 1 year deal.

I just don't get why we'd need  Dalton when we have Foles on the roster for $5-8million less than what he (Dalton) will want in a 1 year deal.
I agree we don't need Dalton, but I don't think he's looking at as much money as you are thinking, he was only on a 3M base contract last year and didn't blow anyone away.

This is what everybody needs to understand about the Bears- the GM is on the last year of his contract. Smart franchises would never let a GM do that- either reup or move him out. Pace has absolutely nothing to lose.  So why not trade away three years of draft picks? The 2021 pick MIGHT help you keep your job... the 2022 and 2023 picks certainly wont. And if you were really machiavellian, you might conclude that trading away all the draft picks for several years makes the GM job incredibly undesirable and force the McCaskeys to either keep you or hire some desperate nobody.  Pace can be that desperate nobody, and he already knows where the rest rooms are.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Bears are expected to sign FA QB Andy Dalton, source said. Their new starter. He gets a 1-year deal worth $10M.

4:00 PM · Mar 16, 2021

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Chicago made "a very aggressive pursuit" of Seahawks QB Russell Wilson, per sources, and the Bears were told that Seattle is not trading him at this time.

The Bears were one of four teams Wilson's agent named as a place of interest. Now Chicago has an agreement with Andy Dalton.

4:34 PM · Mar 16, 2021

This is what everybody needs to understand about the Bears- the GM is on the last year of his contract. Smart franchises would never let a GM do that- either reup or move him out. Pace has absolutely nothing to lose.  So why not trade away three years of draft picks? The 2021 pick MIGHT help you keep your job... the 2022 and 2023 picks certainly wont. And if you were really machiavellian, you might conclude that trading away all the draft picks for several years makes the GM job incredibly undesirable and force the McCaskeys to either keep you or hire some desperate nobody.  Pace can be that desperate nobody, and he already knows where the rest rooms are.
Exactly.  He could easily pull a BOB from Houston.

but I have think a qb is still in play in round one of the draft.  They should be able to get the 4th one for 2 firsts and a 3rd.  And it might be a genius move.

Users who are viewing this thread