What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (22 Viewers)

Pretty happy with Eberflus. He's gotten a lot out of a defense that isn't particularly talented in Indy. When healthy(and assuming Hicks is re-signed) the is more to work with in Chicago than in Indy. 

I was a little nervous when Poles was hired, that he'd be bringing Bienemy with him. I'm glad that wasn't the case, as I don't think very highly on Bienemy, and the last Reid OC hire left a bad taste in every Bears fans mouth. 

I'd have been ok with Quinn too. I wasn't among the camp that thinks you need to hire an offensive HC. Statistically, there is no real difference in win/loss record from having an offensive or defensive HC, despite the fact that the final 4 teams this season all have offensive minded HCs. 

Pretty happy with Eberflus. He's gotten a lot out of a defense that isn't particularly talented in Indy. When healthy(and assuming Hicks is re-signed) the is more to work with in Chicago than in Indy. 

I was a little nervous when Poles was hired, that he'd be bringing Bienemy with him. I'm glad that wasn't the case, as I don't think very highly on Bienemy, and the last Reid OC hire left a bad taste in every Bears fans mouth. 

I'd have been ok with Quinn too. I wasn't among the camp that thinks you need to hire an offensive HC. Statistically, there is no real difference in win/loss record from having an offensive or defensive HC, despite the fact that the final 4 teams this season all have offensive minded HCs. 
I disagree with you about the Colts defense lacking talent.  I would take Leonard, Buckner and Moore over most of the Bears, if not all.  Okereke isn’t bad either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OC is the most important piece of this puzzle. I like the GM and HC hires but I think the single most underrated factor of what goes into the success of a football team on game day is the person calling the plays. It has always been my belief that a team with less talent can beat the more talented team if they are that much better at playcalling. It makes such a big difference. 

The Bears have suffered from horrendous playcalling for a very long time. Getting someone that can develop Fields and attack a defense with their calls is what we need. 

Fingers crossed.

I disagree with you about the Colts defense lacking talent.  I would take Leonard, Buckner and Moore over most of the Bears, if not all.  Okereke isn’t bad either.
I'm not saying the colts have bad players, but I think they play better than the talent suggests, which I credit eberflus for much of.

Assuming Hicks stays, Chicago has him, Mack, roquan, Quinn, jaylon Johnson, and Eddie Jackson. I'd certainly take that over what Indy had.

The bears have the talent to be a top-5 defense, they've been victims of poor health.

I'm not saying the colts have bad players, but I think they play better than the talent suggests, which I credit eberflus for much of.

Assuming Hicks stays, Chicago has him, Mack, roquan, Quinn, jaylon Johnson, and Eddie Jackson. I'd certainly take that over what Indy had.

The bears have the talent to be a top-5 defense, they've been victims of poor health.
Eddie Jackson is one of the worst safeties in football. 

Might be getting the ST coach from the Raiders. He did a great job as interim. Would be a solid move. I'd love to get Marinelli back again, too. Probably not happening, though. 

Eberflus bringing the LB and CB coaches from Indy with him. Both highly thought of. Looking good so far. 
This may be more of a non-belief of QB than anything else. I do understand that means more of a belief in Fields. I also understand that most are at best on the fence about Fields. That cannot be said of Wentz I would think. Is Eberflus a QB Whisperer? I do not know that much about him tbth. I guess he could hire one? I'm not sure how many would be available atm.

This may be more of a non-belief of QB than anything else. I do understand that means more of a belief in Fields. I also understand that most are at best on the fence about Fields. That cannot be said of Wentz I would think. Is Eberflus a QB Whisperer? I do not know that much about him tbth.
Can you restate this? 

Sounds like the passing game coordinator from GB is the top choice and they want to run a Shanahan-style offense. Luke Getsy

Ok so I was ok a few days ago but now with McDaniels going to Vegas and Harbaugh talking to the Vikes, I'm annoyed. They're not against splash moves for players but when it comes to a coach it's just go cheap. And of all searches it felt like this was a very important one. Some big name candidates with proven head coaching success. Harbaugh, McDaniels, Quinn, Flores. Supposedly there was mutual interest with Harbaugh, they should've got it done. And did they even contact McDaniels?  If not how is that possible?   We're a top tier franchise but the McCaskeys don't want to treat us as such. Another crap shoot first time coach with a randomly patched together staff of inexperienced coaches. Disheartening. 

Mack being sent to Chargers for 2nd and 6th! Hopefully, they'll take some of that salary with him.  GM has the sack to do things Pace never did. 

Chargers acquired OLB Khalil Mack from the Bears in exchange for 2022 second-round pick and 2023 sixth-round pick.

That is extremely light trade compensation for someone who remained one of the league's very best defensive players before his injury-ruined 2021. Not only is Mack not fetching a Day 1 pick, only one of the selections are for this spring. That, obviously, is an indication of a cratered market after Mack battled foot issues before turning 31 last month. It could be a roaring steal for the Chargers. It signals a top-to-bottom rebuild for a picks-starved Bears just that just flat out is not good right now. That bodes poorly for Justin Fields' development. As for Mack in L.A., head coach Brandon Staley was adept at moving around his superstar defensive chess pieces with the Rams. Staley also coached Mack in Chicago, so the duo knows each other well. If Mack is healthy, he and Joey Bosa are going to straight up terrorize the AFC West's superstar quarterbacks.

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

Well that sucks. Just giving Mack away. I kinda wonder if the Bears were sorta waiting to see if Rodgers was gonna be in the division before deciding how far away they were from contending?

Well that sucks. Just giving Mack away. I kinda wonder if the Bears were sorta waiting to see if Rodgers was gonna be in the division before deciding how far away they were from contending?
I think the Bears get a ton of cap relief next year, so the draft pick compensation wasn't as high. 

the guy was double teamed almost every snap which frees up the other dl and lbs, it’s the intangibles that you guys are gonna miss
I don't disagree and I imagine he will do well in LA but the Bears need to keep churning. This was absolutely selling high IMO. Yes he will be missed. 

Darrynton Evans is just A Guy, but curious if this might mean Montgomery is on the trade block.
I was wondering if he might be on the trade block already before this move. No real reason for me to think so, just seemed possible. I like Monty a lot but would love to see them churn for more capital. Signed Herbert owner.

Staying patient, but boy, not a fan of this offseason so far. Felt like they just gave Mack away, and Ogunjobi is a horrible signing. He's maybe the worst run defender in the NFL. Would have rather kept Goldman or Hicks. 13.5 million is more than double what he's worth. 

Fairly quiet in FA so far. DT from the Bengals. Hoping Poles is being patient and starts to add to the offense. 
I hope we are negotiating with Juju.  He, Mooney, and Olave (if we can get him) would make an outstanding, young WR room.  I'd also like us to sign some OL help.  Doesn't have to be a splashy signing, but add some competition and depth.

I hope we are negotiating with Juju.  He, Mooney, and Olave (if we can get him) would make an outstanding, young WR room.  I'd also like us to sign some OL help.  Doesn't have to be a splashy signing, but add some competition and depth.
Definitely need Juju, Chark, or Gage, along with some OL help. Looks like Poles is being very patient. Set to have 140 million in cap space next year so they're able to sign whoever they want this year, if it's a good deal. 

Definitely need Juju, Chark, or Gage, along with some OL help. Looks like Poles is being very patient. Set to have 140 million in cap space next year so they're able to sign whoever they want this year, if it's a good deal. 
Juju would be my preference my a mile.

I like JuJus upside but also think Julio Jones might be worth a shot as well now that he's been released. Julio would be able to teach a young WR corp a lot and would also be a benefit to Fields.

I like JuJus upside but also think Julio Jones might be worth a shot as well now that he's been released. Julio would be able to teach a young WR corp a lot and would also be a benefit to Fields.
While I think he's over the hill, I wouldn't mind Julio from both a veteran perspective, as you noted, and he won't be a negative in terms of a potential comp pick.

Staying patient, but boy, not a fan of this offseason so far. Felt like they just gave Mack away, and Ogunjobi is a horrible signing. He's maybe the worst run defender in the NFL. Would have rather kept Goldman or Hicks. 13.5 million is more than double what he's worth. 
Well looks like you don't need to worry about Ogunjobi anymore.  Sounds like he failed his physical and will not be signing at this point.

It has been ridiculously quiet this offseason. Started out so promising with the firing of Nagy, and that alone is really great news, but it has been incredibly boring since then. 
I see this off-season as cap reconciliation, removal of dead weight guys and prepping for 2023.  The previous establishment tried to build a contender out of a very mediocre team and some of the current contracts show that. I think Poles is working towards having a contender built by the time Fields hits the end of his rookie contract. 

Users who are viewing this thread