What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (30 Viewers)

Raider fans looking for redemption. As a GB fan, I was very jealous CHI traded for Mack. It was a great trade for Chicago. Raiders got what they could. I think it's ridiculous the Raiders are giving CHI any picks back. My thoughts on it are well documented; it's up to the qb. As Rodgers and Cousins showed, paying money for a QB is a smarter investment than a defender. Don't grade Trubisky on game 1 in a new scheme. As rival fans, we will bask in this for now, but I think Trubisky has a bright future
I'm not looking for redemption; I want to beat the Rams.

The overarching point was you can't pay that kind of money to a DE/LB and have a strong NFL QB.  That point is still in question for the Bears.

If there is still as side discussion about how you can win the SuperBowl in 2018 with defense alone; I can't get into that.

I mean, they knew Rodgers was gimped and went no huddle to slow down the rush.  THAT’S when you play tight man-to-man and jump routes.  Nope.

Horrible playcalling with the horizontal garbage.  I mean it looked like they threw the game.

Man-to-man on the Cobb TD with no safety help.  Fuller drops a sure INT.  Like, WTF?
agreed. Trubisky was terrible in the 2nd half but the playcalling was garbage IMO after the Mack TD. Nagy deserves a lot of the blame. I guess Fangio too for that ####### Cobb touchdown, that should not happen.

Trubisky also missed a wide open Allen Robinson in the endzone in the 1st half, before he had to be the comeback guy.

Very weak game plan after the first 2 scripted drives. Nagy #### his pants. Not a good sign. Can't get any worse than the last 5 years so there's that. 
have to hope he learns from his mistakes, after all it was his first ever game as HC, and he was calling the plays....went into a shell and lost...

I’m so worried Trubisky is Andy Dalton, nothing more. Howard is still the best chance they have on offense.  

That D is going to be really good. They were completely gassed in the 2nd half. That’s not going to happen every week. 
I think Dalton is what you should be hoping for at this point. 

It's one game so no reason to freak out but that was horrible accuracy. You can't teach accuracy so that is scary to me.

Eagles fan here. I'm not trying to rub salt. I thought there was a lot that looked great about the Bears last night but Nagy deserves the most blame here. To preface, I was very excited to root for the Bears due to having Howard in my two most important leagues. Thought he was a steal where I got him in both. Imagine my horror at his non-use in goal line and important 3rd and one situations. And then I face palm myself because I realized--oh yeah, he comes from Andy Reid AND I SHOULDA KNOWN BETTER!!!.

Anyway, not that anyone cares about my fantasy team, I'm just hoping for your sakes, Nagy learns from this and shakes that "pass pass pass" mentality the way Doug Peterson ultimately did and you guys will be in great shape. Nagy is creative but he got too cute and we've seen this act before. Teams like that win lots of games but never really beat the best teams in the league. That 3rd and one and Howard wasn't even on the filed was Gross negligence on Nagy's part. I hope he learns from this and things get better for you guys. Honestly wishing the Bears good luck!

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Defensive secondary sucked. Play calling sucked. Just want to point out that they ended the last drive with two timeouts. I think they could have ran the ball a couple of times with the Packers defense expecting a pass. Howard and Cohen are your best players on offense. If you're not willing or able to let Trubisky throw, then at least let your best players do what they do.

After watching Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson yesterday, it appears the choice was Mahomes. The lack of reps was a problem. Nagy could learn from this. The D will get better. The secondary will be a weakness, bur perhaps a good pass rush will make up for the weak secondary. However, the Bears success hinges on Trubisky, and he did very little to instill confidence. He just may not be very good.

The fact that you are the most clueless person in this forum on football doesn't help you any around here. Mack is the only reason this game was remotely close. So please, as I said, move along young man. 
Sure, questioning a questionable move by a questionable GM makes me clueless  :rolleyes:

I never once said Mack wasn't a difference maker. That's because I agree that he is. What I questioned was the impact of losing those draft picks while also tying up so much cap.

But to add a little context to your point, one could say Mack's play against a backup QB is the only reason the game was remotely close. 

The fact that you are the most clueless person in this forum on football doesn't help you any around here. Mack is the only reason this game was remotely close. So please, as I said, move along young man. 
Mack was incredible. I can't wait to see what he can do with some prep time.  Insinuating that this was a bad trade is just plane wrong.

That being said, that QB that the packers have might be good.....

Defensive secondary sucked. Play calling sucked. Just want to point out that they ended the last drive with two timeouts. I think they could have ran the ball a couple of times with the Packers defense expecting a pass. Howard and Cohen are your best players on offense. If you're not willing or able to let Trubisky throw, then at least let your best players do what they do.
I think Howard and Robinson are the best players. Cohen does a lot of running but doesn't seem to go anywhere.

I think Howard and Robinson are the best players. Cohen does a lot of running but doesn't seem to go anywhere.
Robinson relies on Trubisky to be one of our best players. 

I just think, with two timeouts left, the Bears could have ran the ball a few times and put the game on Howard's shoulders. It would have kept the defense guessing. 

I hang this one squarely on the coach - Trubisky and this offense needed to play a lot in preseason.  Instead he treated him like he was Tom Brady and barely played him in preseason.

Offense was completely out of synch late in the second half.

Floyd invisible as usual, even with talent all around him. Daniels should've been starting at center. Whitehair has been terrible. Said it during preseason. Nagy was terrible calling the game. Let's hope he gets his head out of his ###, because this just looks like another Bears team that finds ways to lose. 

Floyd invisible as usual, even with talent all around him. Daniels should've been starting at center. Whitehair has been terrible. Said it during preseason. Nagy was terrible calling the game. Let's hope he gets his head out of his ###, because this just looks like another Bears team that finds ways to lose. 
Leaps and bounds better than last 2 years. If Nagy is capable of even modest growth we have some things to be excited about.

Meh....tough loss but and as someone else pointed out, we couldn't expect a new offense with so many new weapons to click from the get go.   I suspect we will see steady improvement as the season goes.

Defense played pretty damn good all things considered.   They will keep the Bears in a lot of games until the offense starts firing.

After watching Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson yesterday, it appears the choice was Mahomes. The lack of reps was a problem. Nagy could learn from this. The D will get better. The secondary will be a weakness, bur perhaps a good pass rush will make up for the weak secondary. However, the Bears success hinges on Trubisky, and he did very little to instill confidence. He just may not be very good.
Agree on the secondary and lack of reps.

Id love to watch this and again but as far as Trubisky, there were a handful of really nice throws stepping into the pocket in the first half. 

He didn’t have that same confidence in the second half and scrambled too often. Needs to keep developing rapport with Burton and Anthony Miller. We saw him find Miller on one key third down. I think the talent is there with Trubisky. 

Leaps and bounds better than last 2 years. If Nagy is capable of even modest growth we have some things to be excited about.
I'll believe it when I start seeing wins. This looked exactly like the same losses the Bears have had for years. I mean how can a team with a different coaching staff and completely different players still keep losing in these ridiculous ways. Pathetic 

Alright, after seething for 12 hours, I'm gonna try to bright side this debacle.

- Jordan Howard is great. His work on catching has paid off, making him a viable 3 down back. Will Nagy learn his lesson and stop being so cute on critical short yardage situations? That we dont know, but Howard is a gamer and he's going to RB1 barring injury.

- Cohen is as dynamic as ever. Robinson looked like a WR1 when they targeted him. Gabriel and Burton looked good. Sims is the Josh Bellamy of Tight Ends, I dont know why he's in the NFL much less always ends up on the field somehow.

-The defense obviously displayed their potential, but also displayed their short comings. They just looked gassed in the second half. Maybe they burned through so much adrenaline in the first half they just didnt have anything left, and thats not surprising when you arent in football shape because you didnt really play any preseason. Fangio totally failed to make adjustments in the second half. He's better than that, and the defense will be in better physical shape next week. If the offense can stop those 3 and outs it will also help. I dont expect to see that kind of display again.

I put most of this on Nagy and Trubisky. And I think you can give them the leeway of a first time head coach and a young QB in a huge spotlight. Nagy totally outthought himself and absolutely has to learn the value of just punching the other guy in the jaw when you have a lead. Mitch has to control his excitement and cure those happy feet. Make the easy throws. All that being said, I dont see why those aren't curable ills. Its not a lack of talent that cost the Bears the game, its bad coaching and bad QB execution.

If you would have told me 2 days ago the Bears would lose by 1 point to the Packers in Green Bay on Sunday night, I would have said, holy crap, that is an GOOD outcome for this team. They aren't ready to challenge for the division just yet, but they are in the conversation. Obviously that collapse cant be ignore, and it revealed some serious problems, but they also showcased some good things. Lets see how they do at home next week in another high profile game.  Im gonna stay open minded.

You missed my point.  He wasn't the solution, and the Bears need the contract he already has to either secure Mitch or try to find a QB.
You want to extend Trubisky in the middle of his rookie contract?

No one player is 'the solution'. But Mack is the reason they didnt lose that game by 20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, there are some downers in here. I'm disappointed to have lost, but pretty encouraged overall by the team, and feel very good about beating Seattle next week.

One other thing- if the Mack trade hadnt happened, the biggest topic of conversation today would be 'where was Roquan Smith'?

They needed his speed and quickness when the Pack went into that quick pass offense, thats exactly why you draft him.

The Bears did not finish.  That said, they were in a position to do so and that has not been the case for some time.  I saw a different Bears team than I have for many years.  I think their arrow is pointing up and that Bears fans will see this after the disappointment wanes.  tough to be optimistic after a gut punch, but I think they have every reason to be.

I am very encouraged by all the facets of the Bears game at the completion of week 1.I believe there is an answer to almost all the shortcomings the team went through during this game and they naturally get better as the season goes. Once Roquan and Khalil get in football shape and learn the intracacies of Fangio's system, the whole D will be better (including DB play), throughout the entire 4 quarters. They have some good playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, we just need the players to continue to get reps and Nagy to tighten up (or un-tighten) his play calling, since it was pretty conservative in the 2nd half. The only thing that was slightly baffling to me about Mitchys play was his inability to throw downfield in the 2nd half. In that half he consistently held the ball to long. I wasn't sure if GB's secondary had great coverage or if he was just out of sync w/receivers. There were a few passing plays where the camera was in a madden type of view and you were able to see that no one was open at all, but its hard to believe that young secondary locked down the receivers every time we looked to throw downfield.

I am very encouraged by all the facets of the Bears game at the completion of week 1.I believe there is an answer to almost all the shortcomings the team went through during this game and they naturally get better as the season goes. Once Roquan and Khalil get in football shape and learn the intracacies of Fangio's system, the whole D will be better (including DB play), throughout the entire 4 quarters. They have some good playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, we just need the players to continue to get reps and Nagy to tighten up (or un-tighten) his play calling, since it was pretty conservative in the 2nd half. The only thing that was slightly baffling to me about Mitchys play was his inability to throw downfield in the 2nd half. In that half he consistently held the ball to long. I wasn't sure if GB's secondary had great coverage or if he was just out of sync w/receivers. There were a few passing plays where the camera was in a madden type of view and you were able to see that no one was open at all, but its hard to believe that young secondary locked down the receivers every time we looked to throw downfield.
Something i've noticed about Mitch so far- he can put the ball in spots where his receivers can make a play on it, which is good, but you dont see him throwing guys open or throwing to a spot very well or often (hence that missed touchdown down the sideline to Robinson). I hope that comes with experience, but if he just isnt seeing the field that way, thats a big problem.

One other thing- if the Mack trade hadnt happened, the biggest topic of conversation today would be 'where was Roquan Smith'?

They needed his speed and quickness when the Pack went into that quick pass offense, thats exactly why you draft him.
he should replace that pilon that was #44.....dude got shredded all night long

Something i've noticed about Mitch so far- he can put the ball in spots where his receivers can make a play on it, which is good, but you dont see him throwing guys open or throwing to a spot very well or often (hence that missed touchdown down the sideline to Robinson). I hope that comes with experience, but if he just isnt seeing the field that way, thats a big problem.
Yeah man, my sentiments exactly. I expressed this same thing to my son last night as I was trying to put the whole exhausting game in perspective. It's nice to have some "expectations" and excitement for the Bears again.

Is Mack slightly injured?  I don't follow the Bears (or Raiders) closely but have followed Mack's career very closely.  He looked really slow on that INT return last night, though it's still a great play.

Is Mack slightly injured?  I don't follow the Bears (or Raiders) closely but have followed Mack's career very closely.  He looked really slow on that INT return last night, though it's still a great play.
no idications of any injury. I am sure he was just gassed....not sure how he trained prior to getting traded to the bears, but he probably isn't 100% in football shape in such a short time. I'm impressed by "really slow" since he beat the entire Bears secondary in the chase of cobb. Just his motor/passion I guess.

Eddie Goldman's contract numbers.

4 years/ $42M with $17.25M fully guaranteed & a $11M signing bonus.

Cap hits by year:

'18- $3.799M
'19- $7.55M
'20- $10.05M
--------(Potential out w/ $4.4M dead after 2021)
'21- $11.06M
'22- $11.39M

The Bears did not finish.  That said, they were in a position to do so and that has not been the case for some time.  I saw a different Bears team than I have for many years.  I think their arrow is pointing up and that Bears fans will see this after the disappointment wanes.  tough to be optimistic after a gut punch, but I think they have every reason to be.

I agree completely.  And as a GB fan it’s refreshing.  It would be nice to see CHI as more than a punching bag in the best rivalry in NFL history.

Users who are viewing this thread