What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (5 Viewers)

Now that Ingram is off the table, what do they do if Bell signs elsewhere? Keep Howard? Go with Davis as their lead? 

It sounds like the Bears aren't even in this Bell thing (which i'm fine with), and no way is he taking 11-12M per year.

Former Patriots’ WR Cordarrelle Patterson intends to sign with the Chicago Bears for $5 million per year, per source. :headbang:

Would have preferred to not sign Patterson or Skrine and spend that money to keep Amos. Really have no idea why they signed Skrine.

• Smile
Reactions: ZWK
Would have preferred to not sign Patterson or Skrine and spend that money to keep Amos. Really have no idea why they signed Skrine.
Agreed. Skrine is not a good football player. And kick returner is a less important position than it used to be, what with all the touchbacks.

Agreed. Skrine is not a good football player. And kick returner is a less important position than it used to be, what with all the touchbacks.
I don't get the Skrine signing either, but Amos is very replaceable and was never going to stay a Bear.  Still a lot of guys left.  

Jason Verret

John Simon 

Justin Houston 

Maxx Williams 

Adrian Phillips 

Yeah, I'm more down on Skrine and (to a lesser extent) Patterson than I am in favor of Amos at his price. Amos at $9M/yr would've been better than Skrine+Patterson, but probably they could do something with that money which is even better than Amos.

Counting the bonuses, Patterson is essentially looking at $5.25 million for 1  season with the #Bears.

The Skrine deal is basically a 2 year deal.

A lot of guys coming up on extensions in the next 2 years. Pace is just preparing in advance. 

Whitehair, Floyd, Mitch, Eddie

Last edited by a moderator:
Skrine had a few good games down the stretch last year, but he was bad for almost all of his Jets tenure. He had a lot of plays where he would celebrate a pass break-up (never looking back for the ball and crashing into a receiver) only to not realize that he had been called for pass interference. That got old quickly. Sometimes it would happen on consecutive pass plays. He was definitely not a fan favorite.

Free agent Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is visiting the Bears.

Clinton-Dix is the top remaining safety with all the other big names signed. He would replace Adrian Amos in Chicago, who signed with the Packers. The Redskins have been in talks to re-sign Clinton-Dix but haven't been able to get a deal done. Clinton-Dix is likely seeking Lamarcus Joyner money (four years, $42M).

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 13, 2019, 7:35 PM
I don't like it for 10 mil a year. 

S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix signed for 1 year, $3.5M. Signed for $5.5M/yr less than Amos, and just a slight downgrade. For now it looks like the Bears won this safety swap.
This feels like it could be the steal of free agency.  Seems like the Bears might have the flexibility to make one more substantial move.

We still need another WR.  I don't really want a rookie in the top 5.  Grab someone like Chris Hogan on the cheap
I believe Hub Arkush said on the radio this week the Bears are very high on Javon Wims at this point.  Not sure if that means they expect him to be a significant contributor this year, but wouldn't be surprised if they let WR go in favor of one more pass rusher, or depth at OLB.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
I believe Hub Arkush said on the radio this week the Bears are very high on Javon Wims at this point.  Not sure if that means they expect him to be a significant contributor this year, but wouldn't be surprised if they let WR go in favor of one more pass rusher, or depth at OLB.
I'd personally feel better with a vet.  Miller and Robinson both were banged up last year and Gabriel/Patterson can't carry the load should one of the starters miss time.  I did like what I saw with Wims last season though. 

The Packers posters still picked Amos after I showed them this...

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix vs Adrian Amos

Career Numbers
Seasons: 5 vs 4
Ints: 14 vs 3
PD: 28 vs 18
Fumbles: 4 vs 3
Sacks: 5.5 vs 2
Tackles: 456 vs 269
Guaranteed $$$: 3.5 vs 12

Career Numbers
Of course they did. Ha ha at a fraction of the cost is such an easy call. 

Great outcome signing HaHa, I always liked Amos, but feel like he's benefited from the system racking up tackles (good for him, not everbody can tackle). Clinton-Dix should do just as well cleaning up but add an element of ball hawk. Net plus in my mind, and saved money without committing to a long term investment. Bears are slightly more dangerous now.

Let me say this about Amos though, he was a cornerstone of building this defense into what it has become. For where they drafted him, he was a home run on a bad team that needed an identity. Amos backstopped a lot of development that maybe doesn't happen otherwise.

The downside of success is the Bears are so good, so strong up the middle especially, Amos skill set is just not as important for this team. The Bears are playing with house money at SS and can gamble on somebody a little more explosive. Its a great move and Amos is going to a Packers team that will really appreciate his skills. Win-win.

Career Numbers
 🙂There's a reason he could only fetch a 3.5 prove it deal.  

Let me say this about Amos though, he was a cornerstone of building this defense into what it has become. For where they drafted him, he was a home run on a bad team that needed an identity. Amos backstopped a lot of development that maybe doesn't happen otherwise.

The downside of success is the Bears are so good, so strong up the middle especially, Amos skill set is just not as important for this team. The Bears are playing with house money at SS and can gamble on somebody a little more explosive. Its a great move and Amos is going to a Packers team that will really appreciate his skills. Win-win.
I would guess that they draft a legit SS with their R3 pick and get good ROI on the pick. Ha-Ha is just good enough to play either SS or FS. If Jackson is injured then Ha can slide over to give the rook time at SS. Ha doesn't have to work too hard on his tackling too much with the front 7 doing most of the work.

Like the Patterson pickup.  Seemed like every time I saw him toting the rock, he was trucking defenders.  Not bad for a fast returner who has a unique skillset for creating mismatches.

HHCD...  Ok.

I would guess that they draft a legit SS with their R3 pick and get good ROI on the pick. Ha-Ha is just good enough to play either SS or FS. If Jackson is injured then Ha can slide over to give the rook time at SS. Ha doesn't have to work too hard on his tackling too much with the front 7 doing most of the work.
Very well could draft one. Pace is killing it in the middle rounds. 

Ha Ha was a guy I wanted the Bears to draft coming out of college.  The chemistry should certainly be there between Jackson and Clinton-Dix, with them being teammates at Alabama for a short time.  

Looks like Clinton-Dix turned down more money from the Redskins to get an opportunity to play with Eddie Jackson again.  Consider me excited about this move.  

Bryce Callahan signs with Denver for 3 years, $21M ($7M/yr) according to Spotrac.

Skrine signing looking even worse. Skrine's 3 year, $16.6M deal is only $4.4M total ($1.5M/yr) less than Callahan. Bears should've gone with Callahan, or gone way cheaper with someone like Brian Poole.

Bryce Callahan signs with Denver for 3 years, $21M ($7M/yr) according to Spotrac.

Skrine signing looking even worse. Skrine's 3 year, $16.6M deal is only $4.4M total ($1.5M/yr) less than Callahan. Bears should've gone with Callahan, or gone way cheaper with someone like Brian Poole.
They were in a tough spot with Callahan. He was asking for a lot more at first and they couldn't wait around days on a guy who's unavailable for a quarter of his games each year. Don't love the Skrine signing either but it's not that big of a contract. The Bears are in an unfamiliar position.  Ton of talent and not a lot of cap space. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-

Users who are viewing this thread