What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (14 Viewers)

Not a chance. Are you watching the 2nd Monday Night game? Denver is absolutely terrible. The bears offense is going to come alive against these guys, and everything from the first week will be forgotten. It'll be like that Tampa game last year.
yeah, I'm starting to think otherwise. I dunno about 6 TD's though, lol... they are still a good defense

yeah, I'm starting to think otherwise. I dunno about 6 TD's though, lol... they are still a good defense
After seeing the Broncos play I think the Bear's D alone may be able to win the game this week.  The Bears just need to balance out that offense and they should be fine.

If Osweiler can come into SF and win against a Fangio D, we should be able to go to Empower and do the same, right?

BTW, on the GB drive where they scored, HHCD was not on the field and Deon Bush was picked on, for the long pass down the middle and the TD to Graham.  Never heard an explanation for why HHCD was not on the field during that drive, although I haven’t looked to see if Pagano has had a press conference since the game.  I know someone would ask about that.

Gonna try to remain positive up until the game. Defense should win this for us, but Mitch's play is very important to what happens for the rest of the season. Feed Montgomery the ball! 

VIVA EL PINIERO

Had no business winning this game. Can't believe Mitch actually made a play. Him and Nagy are a disaster right now. No trust. Totally screwed up relationship. 

VIVA EL PINIERO

Had no business winning this game. Can't believe Mitch actually made a play. Him and Nagy are a disaster right now. No trust. Totally screwed up relationship. 
Nagy dialed it back and did what they had to to win. We wanted the rushing the ball more. Exactly what he did

I hate to say it, but Trubisky is not the guy. I’ll give him until the end of the season to confirm it, but he’s not passing the eye test.  

Trub made the play that set up Eddy.  Stupid DEN defender never should’ve touched Robinson.  Pulled a weasel out of the hat.

Not many teams have gone in there and won on their home opener.  Think they said they were 17-1 and won their last 7 in a row.

I hate to say it, but Trubisky is not the guy. I’ll give him until the end of the season to confirm it, but he’s not passing the eye test.  
Played about a season and a half so far and they knew coming out he was the least experienced. Playoffs in his first full year starting. I'm willing to be patient 

Big win, big big win...Something not right with this offense though, they showed one play and no one was f'ing open. Not sure this is all a Trubisky problem. Nagy might be the bigger problem.

Played about a season and a half so far and they knew coming out he was the least experienced. Playoffs in his first full year starting. I'm willing to be patient 
It’s a bit of an overreaction on my part, but if he doesn’t figure it out by the end of this year, I think we need to call a spade a spade.  I’m definitely pulling for him, but he’s just not looking capable...yet.  

It’s a bit of an overreaction on my part, but if he doesn’t figure it out by the end of this year, I think we need to call a spade a spade.  I’m definitely pulling for him, but he’s just not looking capable...yet.  
Agreed. They'll give him year 4 to play out either way. 

Problem is, we aren’t seeing progress. He isn’t seeing the field. He isn’t accurate. I do hope he gets better, but right now I am not optimistic. I actually thought he played much better last year, particularly in the second half of the season. He looks like he has regressed.

Agreed. They'll give him year 4 to play out either way. 
I dont think he's the guaranteed the starter next season if it goes like this. I think its very likely the Bears bring in a free agent QB they think can take them to the SB, and draft another developmental QB, and they have an open competition (whether they phrase it that way or not).

Personally I'd rather see what Teddy B or Case Keenum or even Eli could do with this offense than putting more time into the Mitch show.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
flapgreen said:
Love ya man but I’m pretty sure a magic lightning bolt isn’t going to strike him and turn him into a different player. It’s his 3rd year facing NFL defenses and he’s 25. He is what he is. 

Now, I do think if he can get back to the level of last season, we can win with him. But Nagy can’t ever go back to abandoning the run crap in close games. 

From a Sleeper notification:

“Highest percentage of uncatchable passes through two weeks:

Cam Newton 34.2%

Mitchell Trubisky 27.8

Ryan Fitzpatrick 27.3

Kirk Cousins 27.0

Kyler Murray 22.9

Matthew Stafford 22.9”

Eli “over the hill” Manning?  No f’n thanks.  Shurmur is about to give him the hook for Daniel Jones, from a note I just saw.

Bridgewater was good until he wrecked his knee.  We’ll see how Keenum does next week against our D.

Once again, we need more high percentage plays like quick slants to get Trub in a rhythm early.  He seems to be just a tick late on placement.  One of the Chicago podcasts mentioned last night that Nagy scaled back the offense again.

Just going to have to weather the storm and hope that improvement occurs.

No sacks (against Miller & Chubb) and no turnovers is a good sign, along with the switch to a more run-based focus.  Need more traditional playaction and rollouts, as the RPO stuff is getting stale and predictable.

Last edited by a moderator:
mbuehner said:
I dont think he's the guaranteed the starter next season if it goes like this. I think its very likely the Bears bring in a free agent QB they think can take them to the SB, and draft another developmental QB, and they have an open competition (whether they phrase it that way or not).

Personally I'd rather see what Teddy B or Case Keenum or even Eli could do with this offense than putting more time into the Mitch show.
Wow.

Just going to have to weather the storm and hope that improvement occurs.
For this season, there isnt any choice.  Next year, if this keeps up, it would be insane not to toss the keys to a new face and see if they look better. Yes, id prefer a name brand QB, but they dont grow on trees. 

Even a castoff or over the hill guy might be a better option, and if they can come in cold to a new offense and beat Trubisky out in 2020, wouldnt that tell you enough?

Mitch cant see the field and that wont change. Jury rigging an entire offense to mitigate that massive problem may be necessary right now, but its not good enough to win a superbowl with. This is far from even Trent Dilfer efficiency, dont confuse it. 

Agreed for the most part.  Pace hasn’t really followed through on his “pick a QB every year” mantra, but he did what he had to do to raise the team elsewhere.

Thing is, with the draft capital they gave up, they’re going to give him the full five years because if he doesn’t raise his game by year 5, he won’t get a 2nd contract with us.

Would you rather see Chase Daniel or Tyler Bray?  They both know the system...

mbuehner said:

This is not happening 

Love ya man but I’m pretty sure a magic lightning bolt isn’t going to strike him and turn him into a different player. It’s his 3rd year facing NFL defenses and he’s 25. He is what he is. 

Now, I do think if he can get back to the level of last season, we can win with him. But Nagy can’t ever go back to abandoning the run crap in close games. 
I see it differently. Not a lost cause yet. The idea of giving up on a qb who hasn't even played 2 full seasons yet is lunacy to me. 

mbuehner said:

I am actually half with you on this. 

1) I am going to start panicking if I don't see any improvement this year. Mitch had better start showing that he is progressing in his ability to read defenses. I am not going to panic after 2 games but obviously things don't look great thus far. 
2) I think right now an experienced veteran average QB who can read defenses might be better at this point in the season with all the weapons they have on offense. If Trubisky doesn't develop I would rather have a veteran similar to what Josh McCown brought to the team. I don't think I want Bridgewater but would have been happy with someone like Foles (prior to his injury) or Joe Flacco.  I am really hoping this is a moot point and he will be better than those guys at this point in their careers.  
3) This is Pace's guy so I don't see him making moves anytime soon barring injury. 

Flap is right that there is some serious overreaction going on but if they look like garbage against Washington on Monday night I might start joining in.  

I see it differently. Not a lost cause yet. The idea of giving up on a qb who hasn't even played 2 full seasons yet is lunacy to me. 
Are you hoping for last years, up and down level with higher ups and downs?  Or do you think he can be even better than that?

Are you hoping for last years, up and down level with higher ups and downs?  Or do you think he can be even better than that?
I'm hoping he's just starting slow like last year and will get better each game. I don't know what to think right now about how good he'll be. Very worried at the moment, though. Looks scared. Needs a little more bravado in him like Jay. He's a quarterback in the NFL. Man up and act like you're the next rising star. 

All I'm saying is they knew he was the least experienced top guy coming out. They're not gonna bench him next year and sign some scrub like Keenum or whoever else.  They'll give him every chance to succeed.  Guy started like 1 years in college and not yet 2 in the NFL. This thought process would've been insane 10 years ago or so, but we're now living in a time where everyone expects you to kick ### right away. 

All I'm saying is they knew he was the least experienced top guy coming out. They're not gonna bench him next year and sign some scrub like Keenum or whoever else.  They'll give him every chance to succeed.  Guy started like 1 years in college and not yet 2 in the NFL. This thought process would've been insane 10 years ago or so, but we're now living in a time where everyone expects you to kick ### right away. 
They aren't going to bench him, but he is moving in the wrong direction. They spent all off-season hyping up the offense, but Mitch appears to have taken a major step backwards.

Last season, he was pretty good most of the season. He had his ups and downs, but this looks like rookie year Mitch.

Well, after seeing Gardner Minshew II, a 6’1” sixth round rookie, go 22/25 yesterday for the Jags without any preparation whatsoever...

:bag:
With 96 preseason pass attempts does it make the point he was ahead of many starters due to playing in preseason since he was the backup? 

With 96 preseason pass attempts does it make the point he was ahead of many starters due to playing in preseason since he was the backup? 
Last season, the Bears opened up in GB and scored 20 first half points before collapsing in the 2nd half. The Bears defense did struggle to hold leads late a few times last season, especially earlier in the season (see GB and Miami).

We saw the defense struggle late vs. Denver after dominating the entire game.

Offensively, they haven't been good, but, they didn't have struggles last season to this extent, but I don't disagree that playing 4 quarters appears to be struggle for the Bears early on for the 2nd straight season.

Other teams are resting their key players/starters in the pre-season this year. How have they performed early on?

Last season, the Bears opened up in GB and scored 20 first half points before collapsing in the 2nd half. The Bears defense did struggle to hold leads late a few times last season, especially earlier in the season (see GB and Miami).

We saw the defense struggle late vs. Denver after dominating the entire game.

Offensively, they haven't been good, but, they didn't have struggles last season to this extent, but I don't disagree that playing 4 quarters appears to be struggle for the Bears early on for the 2nd straight season.

Other teams are resting their key players/starters in the pre-season this year. How have they performed early on?
The defense struggled in the Miami game late because of the intense heat last year. Happened against late in the game Sunday because of the altitude and it being 90 degrees in Denver.  They're every bit as good as last year. They just haven't started forcing turnovers yet. They didn't struggle for 4 quarters last year very often on defense. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
First let me reiterate that I think Mitch should absolute get this entire season to prove he's the guy.

But next season? You really want to give a guy 4 complete season to prove he MIGHT be good enough to start? This inexperience argument has got to expire at some point right? Trubisky has 28 NFL starts and 13 in college (plus coming off the bench), thats 41 starts across which is comparable to most 2nd year QBs starting right now:

Josh Allen 26 college + 13 NFL =  39

Lamar Jackson 34 College 9 NFL = 43

Sam Darnold 24 college 14 NFL = 38

Baker Mayfield 44 college 14 NFL = 58

Do any of these guys look as lost as Trubisky? Im not saying theyre 100% ready for primetime either, but does Mitch look closer to any of these guys, or closer to a Kyler Murray in his first season?

I think thats swinging the pendulum way to far towards development time. If he completes this season healthy, god willing, he will have 43 NFL starts under his belt. Thats a ridiculously generous sample size in todays NFL. 

If the Bears argue to themselves that bringing in competition next year could set back Trubiskys development, I gotta ask what development? He's going to be a 4 year veteran, there just cant be training wheels. If competition in camp is enough to damage a guys psyche in his 4th year, he's too damned fragile to be the man to begin with.

First let me reiterate that I think Mitch should absolute get this entire season to prove he's the guy.

But next season? You really want to give a guy 4 complete season to prove he MIGHT be good enough to start? This inexperience argument has got to expire at some point right? Trubisky has 28 NFL starts and 13 in college (plus coming off the bench), thats 41 starts across which is comparable to most 2nd year QBs starting right now:

Do any of these guys look as lost as Trubisky? Im not saying theyre 100% ready for primetime either, but does Mitch look closer to any of these guys, or closer to a Kyler Murray in his first season?

I think thats swinging the pendulum way to far towards development time. If he completes this season healthy, god willing, he will have 43 NFL starts under his belt. Thats a ridiculously generous sample size in todays NFL. 

If the Bears argue to themselves that bringing in competition next year could set back Trubiskys development, I gotta ask what development? He's going to be a 4 year veteran, there just cant be training wheels. If competition in camp is enough to damage a guys psyche in his 4th year, he's too damned fragile to be the man to begin with.
It always seemed Pace's job was tied to Mitch's success.  I don't see him brining in a vet QB because if he admits failure on Mitch, the owners may admit to his failure and bring it someone to replace him.

It always seemed Pace's job was tied to Mitch's success.  I don't see him brining in a vet QB because if he admits failure on Mitch, the owners may admit to his failure and bring it someone to replace him.
Thats a two way street- if he doesnt bring in someone and we burn another season with a QB that doesnt have it, he's guaranteed to be on the street. Bears ownership is pretty patient, and Pace has a lot of other successes to point to- if he brought in somebody next year and the Bears went deep into the playoffs, i'd argue all would be forgiven.

Thats a two way street- if he doesnt bring in someone and we burn another season with a QB that doesnt have it, he's guaranteed to be on the street. Bears ownership is pretty patient, and Pace has a lot of other successes to point to- if he brought in somebody next year and the Bears went deep into the playoffs, i'd argue all would be forgiven.
I'd probably still want Pace canned if this fails, but you are correct it may be the right move.  I still think it will be hard for Pace to overcome his ego and admit his biggest move as GM (yes, I think it was bigger then the Mack trade) is a failure.

When you take a guy that high, especially when you trade up for him, you have to see it through.  There's no competition to bring in on the same level. They won 12 games and made the playoffs in his first year. Should've won at least one playoff game due to his last drive, but the kicker blew it.  He hasn't been as bad as some are making him out to be. He had a rough couple games. They're 1-1, same as they were at this time last year.  Very likely they'll make the playoffs again.  Trubisky isn't going anywhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread