What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (25 Viewers)

This defense is incredibly special this year.  Even with backups in they were dominant.  The defense is good enough that they can win a lot of games with an average offense but I'm tired of the offense looking like this.  Daniels played well the run offense is trash.  I still think Montgomery is really good but the run blocking sucks and the play calling is not helping.  Need to keep improving every week.

Meanwhile, the Jags pinned an eerily similar last-second loss on Vic’s Broncos in their building as the Bears did.  Not a good look.

It's pretty obvious, as quite a few of us said last year, that Vic was way too conservative with the defense at times last year. Pagano has unleashed the aggression and it shows. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
It's pretty obvious, as quite a few of us said last year, that Vic was way too conservative with the defense at times last year. Pagano has unleashed the aggression and it shows. 
Not only that, there is ZERO dropoff in performance with our backups.  Across the board.  Never had that with Vic.

Strangely, I didn’t feel a thing when Trub went off the field with his blown shoulder.  

I knew Daniel (not Daniels) would pick up the slack.  He was smooth and decisive.  

Only one sack given up to a quality D and no turnovers.

Initial MRI on Bears’ QB Mitchell Trubisky revealed he has a dislocated left shoulder, with a slight labrum tear, but does not need surgery and should he back “sooner rather than later”, per source. He will travel with team to London and is unlikely to play vs. Raiders.

• Thanks
Daniel looked pretty good.  That defense is good enough for a game manager to that takes care of the ball.
For the regular season, I agree. Gonna need more come playoff time.  I think they can let Mitch rest a while. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to here Mitch wont miss an extended amount of time. I still dont think he's going to be good enough, but the Bears need to find out and the worst case scenario is going into another season without a really good idea of what they have.

Its good to see Daniel step up and do well, but we shouldnt get too excieted. Right now everybody on the schedule is pulling their Chase Daniel tape, and he's just not good enough to be the answer. Yeah, he may be better than Trubisky from the pocket in some respects right now (nice to see him looking the entire field over and finding 3rd and 4th options) but we saw what he was last year. I cant imagine he found the fountain of pretty good at his age.

“Highest PFF passing grades in Week 4 (before MNF):

1. Phillip Rivers

2. Chase Daniel”

22/30 (73.3%)

We’ll be just fine with Daniel.

1. Phillip Rivers

2. Chase Daniel”

22/30 (73.3%)

Sample size my dude. If you want to look at single games, he managed to lose to the Giants last year somehow.

1. Phillip Rivers

2. Chase Daniel”

22/30 (73.3%)

Daniel played well but he's a career backup QB.  I hope he can play like he did yesterday every time but I seriously doubt he will.

Sample size my dude. If you want to look at single games, he managed to lose to the Giants last year somehow.
I knew you were gonna bring that game up, so I just finished watching the whole thing.  

The D gave up a last-second FG to end the half, a fluke busted coverage TD thrown by OBJ and another busted coverage TD to OBJ on 4th & goal.

We had to rely on a miracle onside kick recovery and then Daniel drove us down the field to even give us a chance to tie the game to get to OT.  It never should have gone to OT.  Then the D gave up the FG in OT.

Alex Smith has had one good season (2017) out of 6 in Reid’s system, I looked up his stats.  Nothing special apart from 2017 and it took him 5 years to finally become proficient in the system.  Daniel has been in the system for the same amount of time and actually longer since he’s been here while Smith was busy getting his leg mangled in WAS.

Regardless, we’re never going to get Smith, so just forget about it.

While I tend to agree that one should never get too high/ low based on a small sample size, I'd also say that going against that Vikings Defense is a pretty good measuring stick. Aside from the Bears, I'd be hard pressed to think of 5 (heck 3) better defenses in the NFL than Minnesota. 

And it's not like he came into the game after the script had been written, Mitch went down almost at the onset of the game. 

Now, expectations do need to be tempered; he was a backup QB for a reason after all. 

• Smile
While I tend to agree that one should never get too high/ low based on a small sample size, I'd also say that going against that Vikings Defense is a pretty good measuring stick. Aside from the Bears, I'd be hard pressed to think of 5 (heck 3) better defenses in the NFL than Minnesota. 

And it's not like he came into the game after the script had been written, Mitch went down almost at the onset of the game. 

Now, expectations do need to be tempered; he was a backup QB for a reason after all. 
If Steve Fuller (also a career backup) can go 4-1 with a historically great D such as what ours is shaping up to be, Daniel can do it.  Plus, Trub will be back in about a month IMO, so he has more time to study and “master” the offense.

Yes, the Vikings are an elite defense and not chopped liver, which makes Daniel’s performance yesterday even more impressive.  Nagy’s playcalling was a bit too conservative by trying to run into a condensed line instead of spreading them out and at least trying some stretch plays or some playactions.

On GMFB, Burleson mentioned that he sits back and listens to Esiason and Simms discuss QBs during off-air breaks.  He said Esiason thought Daniel runs Nagy’s offense much better than Trub has.

On GMFB, Burleson mentioned that he sits back and listens to Esiason and Simms discuss QBs during off-air breaks.  He said Esiason thought Daniel runs Nagy’s offense much better than Trub has.
Sort of looked like it to me.

I think Chase will be fine next week vs Oak.  Burfict is done and outside of their safety, there isn't much on that D.  London games are always scary though. 

I'm really starting to worry about the Roquan Smith issue.  The longer the silence the more I think this will be something outside the norm.

He certainly did yesterday. There's some truth to that. 

This is a championship defense, fellas.  Maybe the best Bears D I've seen since I was a little kid in 85.

.@bears Defense suffocated the @Vikings offense & @dalvincook the @NFL leading rusher after 3 weeks. The #Bears dominated the LOS. #BaldysBreakdowns https://t.co/iSFXhOJM2h

The play mitch got hurt on. 

Here is the play that Mitch Trubisky got injured on. His injury is on him. He ran away from the pocket on this for no reason. If he stayed and waited, he had an open throw to Anthony Miller for a touchdown. He panicked when he really had no reason to. #Bears https://t.co/XHnTLR4Ymc

I'm really starting to worry about the Roquan Smith issue.  The longer the silence the more I think this will be something outside the norm.
I thought that car that crashed was his, but apparently not. I guess he had been acting erratically all week - perhaps a mental health issue. Hope the best for him if its something like that.

The play mitch got hurt on. 

Here is the play that Mitch Trubisky got injured on. His injury is on him. He ran away from the pocket on this for no reason. If he stayed and waited, he had an open throw to Anthony Miller for a touchdown. He panicked when he really had no reason to. #Bears https://t.co/XHnTLR4Ymc
god... I don't know if he would have completed the pass here (to anyone), but I just hate seeing him bail out like that. He has some more time to step up in the pocket a bit, which he just doesn't seem to do.

pbandy1 said:
I thought that car that crashed was his, but apparently not. I guess he had been acting erratically all week - perhaps a mental health issue. Hope the best for him if its something like that.
Lots of rumors floating around right now, but mental health has been the reoccurring theme. Potentially got into a verbal altercation with a coach that was out of character.   I hope everything is alright and/or he gets the help he needs.  The kid is a special talent. 

I hope so. Maybe it was just a stressful week for the kid, but I'm still worried. 
Yeah. These guys are under a ton of pressure and have been hit in the head a lot. Who knows. Could just be shaken up. Has nothing to do with Roquan, but a lot of them are hooked on pain killers, too. 

Yeah. These guys are under a ton of pressure and have been hit in the head a lot. Who knows. Could just be shaken up. Has nothing to do with Roquan, but a lot of them are hooked on pain killers, too. 
Tough spot. Roquan has the talent to be better than Ray Lewis. Selfish me wants to see it, but I know people need to make the best choice for them. 

Good luck Ro. 

god... I don't know if he would have completed the pass here (to anyone), but I just hate seeing him bail out like that. He has some more time to step up in the pocket a bit, which he just doesn't seem to do.
After watching it dozens of times, it was clear his internal clock went off and he spun away from the defender.  He had no chance to get any positive yards, so he needed to throw that ball out of bounds as soon as he escaped.  That injury is on him, fully.

watching that replay the take seems off. no way he would have had time to get that throw off to Miller. the defender Montgomery should have chipped came in untouched, Montgomery went at him like this was a designed screen to him and released. (I'm assuming that's Montgomery, I can't see jersey number on my screen). If anything he could have thrown to Montgomery on release if Mitch saw the whole field, but looks like he never turns so that defender would have lit him up if he didn't go.

Now at 15-5, Matt Nagy has the most wins for a Bears coach since Lovie Smith. He recently surpassed John Fox (14-34) and Marc Trestman (13-19).
Lovie Smith 84-66 as Bears coach including playoffs

Ditka 112-68

Halas 324-151 (that's one more loss than Lovie had total games - and wow 324 is a big number)

Users who are viewing this thread