What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (24 Viewers)

Bears now 235-0 when leading by 14 or more in the 4th Q at home.  That’s an amazing and unbelievable stat.  Nearly gave the Lions a chance to make it 234-1.

Trub finally made some decent end zone throws.  Our run blocking is still abysmal and overall the O cannot put long drives together.

For a “get well” game, it didn’t feel that good with the D letting them march down the field at the end, as usual.

So hot & cold.  Mostly cold:

”The Bears still went 3-&-out on 7 of 12 possessions today. Aside from the three touchdown drives, they ended a possession past their own 40-yard line just twice.”

Relieved we won, but man...  This offense is painful to watch.

Anyway, Kwiatkowski stepped in nicely for Trevathan (shoulder injury?) and that INT was huge.

Back to chasing .500.

Going back to 1980 here are the QBs were won and weren't drafted by the winning team: Foles, Manning (Denver), Dilfer, Brees, Warner, Favre, Young, Doug Williams and Plunkett.  Technically, Eli Manning was drafted by the Chargers.

Here is who was drafted by the winning team: Brady, Wilson, Flacco, Rodgers, Big Ben, Manning (Indy), Elway, Aikman, Rypien, Montana, Simms and Hostetler.

Caveat, might have missed a guy or two.  
I think you will find that Elway was not drafted by Denver.

Burton should change his name to Buston.
This was a poor free agent signing. But let us go back to when the Bears had Mike Martz and they traded Greg Olsen because Martz didn’t use the TE. I said at the time that Martz would be fired the following year, and the Bears would be chasing TE for a long time. And that is exactly what happened. From 2012 to 2016 Olsen never had less than 69 receptions, and 816 yards. His best year was 2015 when he had 77 receptions, 1104 yards, and 7 TDs. The Bears have muddled through with Martellus Bennett, and now Burton. Spending draft capital to acquire them, paying a lot of free agent money to get mediocre results.

The Bears received a third round pick in 2012 for Olsen. The Bears selected Brandon Hardin, a defensive back, with that pick. He never played a down for the Bears. Five picks before this selection, Russell Wilson was taken. TY Hilton, Akiem Hicks, and Sanu were all taken later in that round. Stupid decisions like these can have long term consequences. Something to consider when we watch Trubisky play Sunday. Drafting Trubisky is a decision that may set the team back five years, maybe more.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Davis move was made in hopes of picking up a late round comp pick. 

I really hate what Pace is doing. Not that Davis and Patterson were major pickups, I thought we could use them better than we are. Bears signed Davis day 1 of FA and couldn't even figure out what to do with him.

We could have spent that 8 mil in much better ways. 

I think you will find that Elway was not drafted by Denver.
Good catch.  He falls into the same technicalities that Eli Manning does.  I think I would lean towards putting those guys in the drafted category since they never suited up for their drafting team, but I'm indifferent however one would want to categorize them.  Guess it depends on which side of the argument you are on.

Good catch.  He falls into the same technicalities that Eli Manning does.  I think I would lean towards putting those guys in the drafted category since they never suited up for their drafting team, but I'm indifferent however one would want to categorize them.  Guess it depends on which side of the argument you are on.
I'm chiming in from outside, but I'd say that if you didn't make it out of draft day or go to preseason with that team, you were originally with the Giants, Denver, etc. That seems more in keeping with the spirit of our hypothetical law rather than the letter of it. 

9 first half yards against the Eagles on 6 possessions. 

25 yards on their first 4 possessions with 1 first down against the Lions.

In order to get their only TD drive they had to take a gamble and go for it on 4 and 1 from their own 29 with about 3 1/2 minutes to go before halftime. I would hate to think what would have happened if they didn't make it because it would have been 5 possessions with only 34 yards.  That turned into a TD drive and people thought it was bold for Nagy to go for it but I think it was more out of desperation because he would have been run out of town with his stats. If they didn't make it and they gave up a field goal or a TD I don't know how he could rally anybody to want to play for him and the score would have either been 9-0 or 13-0 Lions.  

Last year they seemed to do well at the beginning of games with the first 15 plays and sometimes went downhill from that. This year they can't get going out of the gate and the defense is exhausted by the end of the game.  Without the defense playing as well as they did last year the offense has been exposed. 

Burton to IR. What a wasted signing. Guy showed he had no guts missing the playoff game. Continued with it this year.  Shaheen isn't even active. Huge hole at TE. 

Braunecker in his 4th year and now apparently the guy. 

Rams D seems like a really rough matchup. I'm afraid this one might get ugly. But maybe the momentum coming off a win can continue. 

Still think the bears are going to have a successful season with the potential to win it all. Plenty of experts thought the same at the beginning of the year, and I still feel like they have time to pull it together. The Rams have proven to be one of the more overrated teams in the league, and the bears defense should have a field day with them this week. After that, they have a couple of easy games and I fully expect them to be sitting at 7-5, primed for a playoff and super bowl run. 

• Laughing
Reactions: -X-
Chase Daniel sighting!

Eddy has fallen off a cliff.  D gives up another TD late, as usual.

Game’s over and so is the season.

Chasing .455.

Chasing Chase.

Chasing the draft.

Chasing mini-camp.

Chasing OTAs.

Chasing training camp.

Chasing next season.

Definitely not chasing great.

:bag:

Theyre gonna say he had a bad hip, but thats bull. Nagy panicked, end of story. 

Its interesting that this exposes the obvious lie of their confidence in Mitch. He wasnt very good tonight but he played ok and was far from the biggest problem. If you believed in him last week there's no way you believed in him less after tonight.

Chase Daniel is demonstrably not the answer. Theres no upside to this move. You gotta play Mitch to find out if theres anything salvageable. You play all these stupid mind games to protect his delicate psyche for 3 years, then you pull this #### out of the blue?! This is total flailing desperation. 

Defense looks very average of late, and from jump not late in the game. 
Partially I agree, but so far they have let a team score more then 17 points twice this year, and those were only 21 and 25.  They do allow some big drives, but still manage to keep the score down.  The defense has kept every game within reach of a mediocre offense.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more desperate, cowardly move by a head coach. Trubisky had 3 TD’s last week. Should have been up early In this one if his kicker was any good. Made only a couple bad plays. The pick was an errant throw. The option was executed poorly and Nagy was bent about it. But it was a terrible play call. Otherwise he game managed and what was expected with conservative play calling. Deflection. Save my job desperation. Zero respect for this guy 

As soon as I saw the Rams were down multiple OL and WRs, I knew exactly what would happen. They would run all over the Bears and the Bears wouldn't put any pressure on the qb. Vintage Bears. 

Partially I agree, but so far they have let a team score more then 17 points twice this year, and those were only 21 and 25.  They do allow some big drives, but still manage to keep the score down.  The defense has kept every game within reach of a mediocre offense.
You're very kind to call this offense mediocre.

Pace, Nagy and Mitch all have to go. I have no faith in any of them. 

I think Mitch might actually be the most salvageable of the bunch. Nagy refuses to play to Mitch's strength. Fix the run game and let Mitch be a play action QB and I think he'd be decent in the league. 

I'm ok blowing the whole thing up. This "window" won't be championship caliber. 

Did anyone else listen to the post game presser? What a mess. Just listened to Trubisky. Obviously didn't want to come out of the game and could still play. Was extremely disappointed they wouldn't let him finish. Kept saying he could've finished the game but they wouldn't let him.  Nagy is full of crap. Took the coward's way out.  Trubisky was benched. What an incompetent coaching staff this is. Shades of Trestman. So sad

Users who are viewing this thread