What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (14 Viewers)

All fair points.  I don't follow college football, so I can't offer anything on White and injury risk.

I don't mean to come off as a Pace defender.  But I'm just curious what team actually has a GM that fits the profile people seem to want here.  I don't have any hard data, but I would guess that most GMs have misses more than hits in the first round.

I would certainly agree that Pace has, at times, become too enamored with his guy.

The Mitch situation I attribute more to large-scale organizational problems than Pace himself.  Yes, it was his decision.  But I was struck by the Tribune article from last year on how the Chiefs and Texans engaged in their draft processes.  The Chiefs, for example, had everybody in the room - coaches, coordinators, scouts, executives - to make the decision on Mahomes.  Pace, saddled with a John Fox regime he apparently couldn't get rid of until a certain point in time, didn't involve on-the-field offensive coaches in the decision-making.
I do like some of the things Pace has done and I haven't looked at the "majority" of GMs have drafted lately but I do know what some of the great ones have done. All of us fans want the Bears to be a top organization and they have to many years of being either mediocre or terrible. Obviously not everybody can have the success of the Patriots but look at how the next tier of teams has done things (In no particular order - Steelers, Seahawks Packers, Ravens, Saints, Denver, KC, 49ers).  I know some of those teams haven't won superbowls recently but they have at least maintained excellence as organizations overall. I almost didn't include the 49ers here but they did great when Kaep was their QB and then rebuilt their team the correct way (like fleecing the Bears in a trade). 

I don't want to get into an argument about any of those organizations but my point being the last time the Bears built their team properly and maintained success is the 80s early 90s. They had a good year under Jauron and a few great seasons under Lovie Smith but overall the organization has been unsuccessful. The biggest obstacle historically for the Bears has been their QB search. Almost all the great teams above either drafted a QB or traded for a top tiered QB. I know Pace swung and most likely missed to fix this problem with Trubisky but that still doesn't change the fact they haven't ever succeeded. They have not developed (or traded) a QB that has sustained  long term success since before most of us were born (Sid Luckman). If McMahon didn't get injured i would put him as a success story.  At the time, I loved the Cutler trade because I thought he was coming off a pro bowl season, was young, and I thought he would be the answer for many years to come. Sadly he might be the best QB the Bears have had for multiple seasons in my lifetime. I didn't realize Jay was such a jerk but I also think the organization failed to put pieces around him but there were a few years where he was actually an above average NFL QB which is a very low bar. 

I know this is a little off topic about what you asked but this is where a lot of my frustration/perspectives about how the Bears have been as an organization overall. That combined with my disappointment from last year where I thought they would be Superbowl contenders - not 8-8 and irrelevant.

Olin Krutz critique of Nagy:

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/05/olin-kreutz-just-delivered-a-blistering-takedown-of-matt-nagy

Pretty on the money, but I disagree with the idea that Nagy gets it now. I think we've learned enough about Nagy that he is always willing to say the right thing to the media, but then he's going to go do the opposite every single time. Either he is just full of crap and tells journalists what they want to hear, or he fundamentally cannot control himself when the pressure is on. Ultimately it doesnt matter why. He isn't going to prioritize any kind of a run game, its just not going to happen.

NBC is showing Superbowl XX at 2:00(CST) today! I was pretty young so I don't remember anything besides we were at the neighbor's house and the adults were really excited. Looking forward to checking this out.

NBC is showing Superbowl XX at 2:00(CST) today! I was pretty young so I don't remember anything besides we were at the neighbor's house and the adults were really excited. Looking forward to checking this out.
I was only 11, but I remember thinking that the Patriots had no chance of winning that game. Turns out the younger me was right.  That Bears D was ferocious.

Reluctant Bears fan here.  Been a fan since the 80's when my Dad (from Chicago) got me into the Bears, Cubs, Bulls....

The Trubisky pick still haunts me.  I still can't believe it.  I was hoping for Jamal Adams there, but now seeing what he's doing with the Jets, he probably would have been asking for a trade from the Bears at this point.  

Big fan of Montgomery - hope his talent isn't wasted.

Will check in here from time to time to drown my sorrows.

Well at least you got to enjoy 1985. Not much over here.

My big deal is why they have so many TEs ahead of arguably the best TE in the draft. And why is there a question about who the QB is. 
I think they will be in disarray for the first five games. Which will cripple them in that division. 
Yeah I was only 12 in '85 so I was just starting to get into football.  Wasn't as hardcore as I am now (thanks to fantasy).

I am a big fan of Kmet and think he'll be solid.  Ourlads has him as the starter, and I'm not expecting too much out of him in his first year.... rookie TEs tend to struggle.  But maybe he's the outlier.

I want to believe in Trubisky... I think he exhibits some of the qualities needed in "today's QB", but he's just so erratic... and I don't think he has enough experience.  I think this year (if it happens) will be the make-or-break year for sure.  If he falters, I think Foles fits the offense fine.

@flapgreenI see you are quite the optimist  "***Chicago Bears Thread*** They're terrible" :)

I think the truth is they are somewhere in the middle of the pack which doesn't sound as good because it doesn't have the shock value.

It does sound like Foles has the inside track to be the starter. Bigger problem than QB IMHO is their 0 line. If they are as bad as they were last year than they might be almost as terrible as the Jaguars. Hopefully Monty's injury doesn't linger all season. He should improve with 1) better blocking and 2) better playcalling and commitment to the run.  Nagy said all the right things about this in the off season regarding this but I will believe it when I see it.

The Bears finished 500 because of their D which still has a ton of talent. They are a tough team to gauge but unfortunately I see them missing out on the playoffs again. If their offense surprises and the defense plays lights out than it could be a decent season.  I hope to be surprised like I was 2 seasons ago but I think they will win about 7 games based on their schedule. I think the Week 16 game against the Jaguars should be moved to prime time.  

@flapgreenI see you are quite the optimist  "***Chicago Bears Thread*** They're terrible" :)

I think the truth is they are somewhere in the middle of the pack which doesn't sound as good because it doesn't have the shock value.

It does sound like Foles has the inside track to be the starter. Bigger problem than QB IMHO is their 0 line. If they are as bad as they were last year than they might be almost as terrible as the Jaguars. Hopefully Monty's injury doesn't linger all season. He should improve with 1) better blocking and 2) better playcalling and commitment to the run.  Nagy said all the right things about this in the off season regarding this but I will believe it when I see it.

The Bears finished 500 because of their D which still has a ton of talent. They are a tough team to gauge but unfortunately I see them missing out on the playoffs again. If their offense surprises and the defense plays lights out than it could be a decent season.  I hope to be surprised like I was 2 seasons ago but I think they will win about 7 games based on their schedule. I think the Week 16 game against the Jaguars should be moved to prime time.  
Interesting, I haven't been following closely so far this year, but I've heard most people on the radio saying that Trubisky was the "favorite" to start the beginning of the year.  People talked about him having more chemistry with the receivers, and that neither has really looked anything special in practice so far.

I just thought it was such a mediocre off season, I've been having a hard time getting into it.  I watched the entire draft, but honestly, I don't remember a single player we took (not saying they were all bad, just kinda showing my apathy for the season).

I'm also really torn on what to do for the season, I live in Texas and with two local teams there is almost no chance I get them on local tv.  I usually head to the bar for my full football Sunday, but with Covid, not sure i'm ready to go hang out at a bar/restaurant for 4 hours.  Gotta get that figured out.  I'm really surprised the NFL didn't take advantage of this to try and offer more pay online options, especially with all the issues DTV seems to be having.  If they had a good streaming app, i'm pretty sure i'd spend some good money on that for at least the beginning of the year.

Trubisky on a one game leash I assume. Issue is they have my Lion’s and then the Giants to start the season. Could potentially take awhile for the switch to occur if they start with two wins.

Interesting, I haven't been following closely so far this year, but I've heard most people on the radio saying that Trubisky was the "favorite" to start the beginning of the year.  People talked about him having more chemistry with the receivers, and that neither has really looked anything special in practice so far.

I just thought it was such a mediocre off season, I've been having a hard time getting into it.  I watched the entire draft, but honestly, I don't remember a single player we took (not saying they were all bad, just kinda showing my apathy for the season).

I'm also really torn on what to do for the season, I live in Texas and with two local teams there is almost no chance I get them on local tv.  I usually head to the bar for my full football Sunday, but with Covid, not sure i'm ready to go hang out at a bar/restaurant for 4 hours.  Gotta get that figured out.  I'm really surprised the NFL didn't take advantage of this to try and offer more pay online options, especially with all the issues DTV seems to be having.  If they had a good streaming app, i'm pretty sure i'd spend some good money on that for at least the beginning of the year.
The reports from training camp seemed to favor Foles. @King of the Jungle is right that Trubisky is on a really short leash. I agree with those that say it could be like the Mariota/Tannehill QB situation last year.  Trubisky at times has shown some skills - there is a reason he was drafted with the #2 pick. Is it too late for a light switch to turn on so he will start making the correct reads since this is the 3rd year in Nagy's system? Even if it does, he has been one of the most inaccurate QBs.  I am not optimistic about this ending well - they invested a lot in Mitch and this is his last hurrah.  However they didn't pick up his 5th year option which should speak volumes.

There's been a lot of turnover on the Detroit D this year but historically the Lions have made Mitch look like a Pro Bowler. Doesn't he have 3 TDs in his last 3 starts against them?

Welp, ive seen enough of Mitch. Hard to believe but all his vast camp improvements aren't translating to real life.  Again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitch has all the pieces in place to succeed. Great coaches. Solid skill players.  And he still sucks.  If only Jay had had all of these things in place. Glad he brought the team back, but the Lions suck and Mitch was worse for 3 quarters. Same thing throughout his career.  This is an 8-8 team at best with this bum. This entire regime should be shown the door if they him run this team into the ground. 

It's kinda a worse case scenario long term because now you can't bench him and everyone will remember the comeback and forget it was against the terrible Lions with a brain dead coach missing 4 DBs. 

Long term, Trubisky is the only option. If Trubisky could pull it together, he has upside. Foles does not. Foles is a guy you hope won’t lose you a game, but he isn’t going to win you games. You hope he can do enough, but your defense and your running game would have to win for you. I don’t think the Bears are good enough to win with that plan. 

Was pleasantly surprised with that comeback, but if they can't be more solid for 4 quarters not just 1 and a half, they won't be able to repeat this regularly.  Would be nice if they could find a way to bring that 4th quarter Mitch who made some real nice passes into the rest of the game.

Guessing we can be the Giants this week also, and will start out 2-0. Feels good inside, but tougher matchups are coming...

Mitch did just enough to lengthen the leash.  He looked absolutely horrible until he made those really nice throws at the end.....can he build on it?  History says prolly not

Last edited by a moderator:
Long term, Trubisky is the only option. If Trubisky could pull it together, he has upside. Foles does not. Foles is a guy you hope won’t lose you a game, but he isn’t going to win you games. You hope he can do enough, but your defense and your running game would have to win for you. I don’t think the Bears are good enough to win with that plan. 
You're probably right, but we've seen the Mitch show and the Foles show is still a coming attraction, even if we pretty much know how its going to go.

Here's a bad idea that has the upside of being novel- do the college thing and run both of them in and out of the game. No, it never works, and its ridiculous, but maybe each guy has a hot hand enough and it confuses defenses enough to catch lightning in a bottle. Yeah, if you have 2 QBs you don't have 1 QB. But we know we dont have 1QB, so why not?

It's been 4 years. Mitch ain't pulling anything together. And I disagree with Foles take. Way off

It's been 4 years. Mitch ain't pulling anything together. And I disagree with Foles take. Way off
Foles had one magic run in 2018. Every other time he has been given the starting job he has been mediocre. He had starting gigs with the Eagles and the Rams between 2013 and 2105. After 2014 the Eagles let him walk. The Rams signed him, he started 11 games. Then the Rams let him walk. In 2016 he signed with KC as a back up. He signed with the Eagles in 2017 as a back up, he started three games. He had the magical run in 2018 after Wentz got hurt. He signs as a starter in Jax. They replace him after one year. Time and time again he has been given the chance to start, and time and time again teams trade him or let him walk. He is an above average back up QB. That is all he is, and all he will ever be.

Users who are viewing this thread