What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (10 Viewers)

Does that not sound like common sense to you? Everyone knew the consensus #1 pick. The Bears traded up immediately to the #2 pick.  You can't possibly think they hadn't considered that until right after Garrett was picked. 
Common sense and the Bears are not 2 things I automatically put together.

I tell ya one thing, this may be the best day ever on 670 The Score.  Hilarious listening to people freaking out.
They need to turn on XRT or the Loop or WLS light a number and forget about it. They are looking at the ashes of the Cutler era and failed drafts

Their terrible coaching staff doesn't mean they shouldn't ever draft a qb.  But that's definitely a big concern. They need a new coach definitely. 
True, but it seems like it would be a better idea to get some stability and proven talent at the coaching level to even have a shot at developing a rookie QB, especially a guy with only 13 college starts. It just makes it that much tougher to make this work IMO.

No way. D will be better this year. 
Explain to me why the defense will be better. They did nothing so far to upgrade the defense. The secondary is still abysmal. I see no reason why the defense will be better. Floyd should be better if he can stay healthy. They may add a defensive player further in the draft, but I see no reason for optimism, other than Fangio is still the coordinator. 

Explain to me why the defense will be better. They did nothing so far to upgrade the defense. The secondary is still abysmal. I see no reason why the defense will be better. Floyd should be better if he can stay healthy. They may add a defensive player further in the draft, but I see no reason for optimism, other than Fangio is still the coordinator. 
If the defense stays healthy then it's already an improvement.  They added some DBs in FA and most likely will be adding more this weekend.  No reason to think they should be worse.

Doesn't matter what me or you think about Trubisky. Have to trust Pace knows his stuff. Last year's draft says he does. 
What did Pace do last year that proved he knows his stuff? They are still waiting on Floyd. He did draft Whitehair, Amos, and Howard. Those were good picks. But the 2015 draft looks like a disaster. White has yet to show much of anything and is looking like a bust. The next best player from that draft is Langford, who is a mediocre back up. He's made some good free agent signings, Freeman and Trevathan, and some terrible ones, Eddie Royal. 

I would say that Pace's track record is certainly not strong enough to say he knows his stuff. Maybe he is growing in to the job. But his entire future now hinges on Trubisky. If Trubisky fails Pace is gone, regardless of what the other picks do. 

1. Bears — They sent picks No. 3, 67, 111 and a 2018 third-rounder to San Francisco to move up one spot for former North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky. Forget for a second how much the Bears paid; did they bid against themselves similarly to the Mike Glennon free-agent splurge? We'll obviously never know for sure, but we have it on good authority the Niners weren't drafting Trubisky, and Chicago was up next on the board. Moreover, he wasn't the consensus top QB, much less the second-best overall prospect, and Mike Glennon will receive $18.5 million in 2017 to build a bridge. Trubisky has terrific upside, and this pick confirmed Ryan Pace, not John Fox, is calling the draft shots. But it felt like his predecessors neglecting the position inexcusably for years may have clouded Pace's judgement a bit here. And do the Bears have the right support structure for Trubisky? John Fox very much enters a make-or-break year, and if Chicago falters, Trubisky could be changing offenses in 2018, just as he's being groomed to take the reins.
That was from PFF's night one loser's article.

Michael Lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL 3m3 minutes ago

Trying to track down the teams that might have competed with Bears for the second pick and have not found one--Jets never called 49ers

You put up a good fight and very well could be serving up a lot of crow for us doubters in the few years.
It doesn't matter.  No one cares if I'm right or not.  I don't even know if Trubisky will be any good. I'm just happy to see them being aggressive and going after their guy.  After being unhappy with the Floyd pick and how thy moved up to get him, I'll reserve judgement until after it plays out. I was dead wrong on Floyd. 

What did Pace do last year that proved he knows his stuff? They are still waiting on Floyd. He did draft Whitehair, Amos, and Howard. Those were good picks. But the 2015 draft looks like a disaster. White has yet to show much of anything and is looking like a bust. The next best player from that draft is Langford, who is a mediocre back up. He's made some good free agent signings, Freeman and Trevathan, and some terrible ones, Eddie Royal. 

I would say that Pace's track record is certainly not strong enough to say he knows his stuff. Maybe he is growing in to the job. But his entire future now hinges on Trubisky. If Trubisky fails Pace is gone, regardless of what the other picks do. 
Last year's draft showed me he knows his stuff.  Find multiple teams last year that had better drafts than the Bears. 

BusterTBronco said:
Ha ha ha!  Mitch Trubisky?   Love it!!

Not only did the Bears make a terrible pick, they TRADED UP to make it!

Worst draft pick in the history of the NFL!
No, that would have been Ryan Leaf, but still moving up made no sense.  Even if someone did leap over the Bears to take MT (and there is no guarantee that MT would have been the target if the happened), they could have still had Watson.

Stupidest move I've seen in quite some time. Worse than Oakland drafting Heyward-Bey in the first round. Worse than the Rams setting back their team two years by giving away the farm for Goff.

Floyd and Goldman progress. Trevathan healthy. Prince, Cooper and Demps add some veteran help to the secondary. 

At first I was thinking they gave up too much but if you believe the draft value chart and consider next years third equivalent to this years fourth which I think is how they look at it the Bears came out ahead. Even if you treat next years three like this years it is fairly close.

My main problem was I preferred Watson to Trubisky. After lots of beers and some sleep I've moved beyond not liking it to hoping they are right that Trubisky will be better than Watson.

If we can get something good with the 2nd, and there is still lots of good talent, and any depth with later picks it could still be a really good draft.

At first I was thinking they gave up too much but if you believe the draft value chart and consider next years third equivalent to this years fourth which I think is how they look at it the Bears came out ahead. Even if you treat next years three like this years it is fairly close.

My main problem was I preferred Watson to Trubisky. After lots of beers and some sleep I've moved beyond not liking it to hoping they are right that Trubisky will be better than Watson.

If we can get something good with the 2nd, and there is still lots of good talent, and any depth with later picks it could still be a really good draft.
:lmao:

You kidding me?! 2 new starting CBs and FS.  How can that not be considered upgrading? Will probably add a couple more starters this draft. 

No, that would have been Ryan Leaf, but still moving up made no sense.  Even if someone did leap over the Bears to take MT (and there is no guarantee that MT would have been the target if the happened), they could have still had Watson.

Stupidest move I've seen in quite some time. Worse than Oakland drafting Heyward-Bey in the first round. Worse than the Rams setting back their team two years by giving away the farm for Goff.
Oh goodness 

That's the other factor.  How much effort does Glennon give knowing he's only there for this year?  Do the players show him respect?  Locker room issues galore.  They'll have to start MT at some point.
Well does he want to be offered another $18MM a year contract to start in the NFL or not?

You kidding me?! 2 new starting CBs and FS.  How can that not be considered upgrading? Will probably add a couple more starters this draft. 
They aren't going to add a couple more starters in this draft because they traded away all their picks. If they use the second rounder on a defensive player that may help, but they still have a lot of needs and no picks to address them.  A lot of directions they could go but after the second I think all they have left is a fifth and seventh. That is it.

Wow. Per @mortreport, even @ChicagoBears coach John Fox didn’t know about plan to draft QB Mitchell Trubisky until a couple hours before.

That man changes his mind with every whisper he hears.  If Lattimore didn't have an injury history, I could see it. But he does.  Anything other than a qb, Thomas, or trade down and I might walk next door and throw dirt on my neighbor's car. 
Congrats guys on the QB. Maybe gave up a bit much, but I like Trubisky and I hope he works out. UNC guy, so my boys like him.

I believe they got played.
Hmm they got played by the 49'ers who passed on a franchise QB and will move into the season with Hoyer and Barkley? This was the position the Bears were in last year which returned rotten fruit. Granted, Hoyer looked decent until the wheels fell off and then they crinkled like a lily in the scorching sun. Shanahan is singing the praises of Mitch Trob because they were probably looking at him. Maybe they got played into walking into next year and beyond with Hoyer and Barkley? The Bears take a shot at a franchise QB and rid themselves of the QB mess they were in and had to move on. Essentially, the greatness of the 49ers came along when they had two franchise QBs

Hmm they got played by the 49'ers who passed on a franchise QB and will move into the season with Hoyer and Barkley? This was the position the Bears were in last year which returned rotten fruit. Granted, Hoyer looked decent until the wheels fell off and then they crinkled like a lily in the scorching sun. Shanahan is singing the praises of Mitch Trob because they were probably looking at him. Maybe they got played into walking into next year and beyond with Hoyer and Barkley? The Bears take a shot at a franchise QB and rid themselves of the QB mess they were in and had to move on. Essentially, the greatness of the 49ers came along when they had two franchise QBs
Wow that's certainly one way to look at things.  

Wow. Per @mortreport, even @ChicagoBears coach John Fox didn’t know about plan to draft QB Mitchell Trubisky until a couple hours before.
Oof! 

Rappaport : For what it’s worth, the #49ers did have a real and legitimate offer for someone to come to No. 2 yesterday. #Bears offer was best value.

The picks make sense according to the value chart but that's not the argument.  The value chart doesn't figure in the amount of picks you have and the number of positions you need to draft.  Going from 7, which wasn't enough, down to 5 picks is not helpful.  Not only does Trubisky need to do well because he was the second overall player he has to do even better yet because of the added cost of those picks.  His play ill have to be good enough to make up for the lack of talent on the rest of the team right now.

I believe they got played.
Lol, yeah because other teams are going to come out and say they tried to trade up but the Bears beat their offer.

Pace said they received numerous calls from teams looking to trade up to their spot, so its logical to assume the 49ers were getting similar calls. 

well the "Value" takes into consideration that the Niners were getting back the third overall pick.
As badly as the Niners wanted to trade, I bet they would've taken the best return, even if it meant moving a little further down. I don't think they had anybody else bidding. 

I don't buy that. Anybody else coming up to 2 would've had to give better picks than what we gave.  
I see what you mean. But no one had a single better pick than the Bears. What it does show is that even if we're talking about 4, 5 or 6, they weren't willing to part with anything better than what the Bears gave up.

As badly as the Niners wanted to trade, I bet they would've taken the best return, even if it meant moving a little further down. I don't think they had anybody else bidding. 
The best return includes them getting the guy they wanted (Thomas) while also picking up additional picks. Where's the value in trading down further if you miss the guy you really liked? 

The 49ers made out like bandits in the first round.  This of course is just on paper though.  We won't know for sure until real football starts.

It wasn't long ago that Trent Richardson was giving a high grade while Luke Kuechly was given a terrible grade for where they were drafted.

The best return includes them getting the guy they wanted (Thomas) while also picking up additional picks. Where's the value in trading down further if you miss the guy you really liked? 
How do we know Thomas was "their guy"? Maybe he was "their guy" at 3. But if the pot as right, "their guy" at 4 or 5 might have been Adams.

Users who are viewing this thread