What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2017 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Parade of Champions Down Broad Street! (3 Viewers)

The day is finally here!  I'm really excited to see the direction we go with #14 and I'm sticking with my initial thoughts.  This entire set-up is designed around Wentz and his development, even going as far as having Wentz study which WR's he likes. Even though Torrey Smith's contract says he's not a long term solution he did fill the need of cheap speed and that's something we need.  Jordan Matthews is not in the long term plans of this team as well IMO.  #14 will be a WR or a RB...I'm 100% convinced.  I fully expect one of the 6 (Ross, Davis, Williams, Fournette, Cook or McCaffrey) to be our pick.  I know I've said that we need an "impact player" in addition to BPA and I think any of those WR's would have an impact this season. Jimmy Kempski did a great piece on Smith and I think whichever WR we draft will start opposite Jeffery.  As far as the RB's go, there's one thing we all can agree with--We need one.  And we need one who has to handle significant snaps early on.  I'm not ruling out a trade up for Fournette if he slides to 9-10 range.  I also think they would take Cook before McCaffery.  They have met with him around 4x...he's showing them something and it has to be something they like.  The kid's tape is amazing and he could very well be a 3-down RB for us from day one.

In round 2 I see Adorree Jackson, Marlon Humphrey or even Conely if he slips that far. 

Round 3 I see either RB or WR whichever we missed in round 1

Why no DE?  Vinny Curry isn't at the stage where we can give up on him.  We also signed Long and still have Smith and Means who both showed potential under Swartz.  They also "redshirted" McAlister as well.  I think this may be a position they wait on.

When the first 3 rounds are done I see us with a WR, RB and CB with 2 fourth round picks coming up.

Just some random feelings, cause whatever:

I can see 4 QB's picked in the first round

There will be at least 3 guys go in the top 10 that weren't expected to.  I have a feeling one will be Ross as the first WR taken.

The "reaching" for OL will start right before us out of need.

I have advocated Mixon as a round 2 guy--Feeling like he may go round 5'ish now

Has this been the most unpredictable draft ever?  Feels like it to me.
I'm going to ask that you focus solely on the bolded and nothing above it lol. Man what a crazy draft. 

It's well-established that Texas A&M's Myles Garrett is viewed as the top pass rusher in the draft, but Tennessee's Derek Barnett definitely deserves consideration for the honor after terrorizing the SEC as a destructive force off the edge for three seasons. In fact, you could make the argument that Barnett should own the No. 1 spot at the position after wreaking havoc on SEC foes as the Vols' designated pass rusher. 

Now, I know that statement will take a few observers by surprise after hearing about Garrett's talents for most of the year. The Texas A&M standout has been anointed by most observers as the best player in the draft and few analysts have cited any other prospects as legitimate contenders to his throne. Yet, scouts paying close attention to SEC football and Barnett's spectacular production should give the Tennessee star a serious look at the top of the draft. The 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive end broke Reggie White's sack record and finished with the second-most tackles for loss (52; one behind Leonard Little's mark) in Vols history. In addition, Barnett is the only player in SEC history to finish with at least 10 sacks in three straight seasons.

Let that marinate for a minute.

In a league that is viewed as the hotbed of NFL talent, Barnett shattered the school marks of a couple of All-Pro players and established a new standard for dominance as a pass rusher. While I'm not one to make evaluations strictly off numbers, I'm a firm believer that sack production translates to NFL performance, and Barnett should be a great pro based on his impressive resume at Tennessee.

When I study the tape, I see a relentless pass rusher with an outstanding combination of skill and technique. Barnett is one of the best hand-to-hand combat fighters that I've watched in years, and his ability to win with a variety of slick maneuvers makes him nearly impossible to slow down off the edge. In addition to his superior hand skills, Barnett has the rare ability to win with finesse or power off the edge.

He displays enough quickness, balance and body control to blow past blockers with dip-and-rip maneuvers or he can use a variety of power moves, including the butt-and-jerk or bull rush to get home off the edge. With Barnett also displaying a non-stop motor to complement his technically sound game, he's like an old-school construction worker with a hard hat, lunch pail and a shiny toolbox. He has all of the rugged traits that you covet in a player while also displaying the skills to dominate at the next level.

"He's not going to run a fast 40, but if you like tough, violent, high-motor players with production, you'll love him," said an AFC executive. "He kind of reminds me of a young Terrell Suggs coming out of Arizona State."

The praise didn't end there when I spoke to evaluators about Barnett.

"I love the kid," said an AFC college scouting director. " ... He is a great football player with a nasty temperament. I don't understand why some scouts aren't high on him, but he can play for me any day."

Considering how many coaches and scouts say they value hard-nosed football players with sustained production, I'm a little surprised that Barnett hasn't been touted much heading into the NFL Scouting Combine (March 3-6 on NFL Network). He is the kind of player who dominates in the NFL regardless of circumstances, and teams would be wise to pay attention to his skills.

Remember, Joey Bosa displayed similar traits and we questioned whether he could sustain his play as a pro. Yet, he claimed the Defensive Rookie of the Year award with a blue-collar game built on grit, hustle, and technique. With Barnett showing nearly identical skills, I believe the football world should pay closer attention to the best football player that no one is talking about. -- Bucky Brooks

SO I went to draft today got down there early and they didn't let us in till about 12:15. Price wise was what you'd expect. Good beer 26OZ Shock Top 12 and Budlight 12. 16OZ Goose Island about 11. Food wise depended where you went but it was a pricey. Roast beef from Da Nics was an-laudable $8. Most of the stuff activities we didn't do but we checked the shop out extremely overpriced. met some great people from all over. Carolina guy from Charlotte really nice black guy visiting a friend we were telling him where to eat and all and stay away from tourist traps. People were very willing to save spots for you if you were there early. We got front row right up against the fencing right before the theatre had a great view too. Jaws came out early afternoon took pics and shook hands. Around 4 Mr Lurie came out to a huge ovation high giving fans and thanking everyone for coming down. Rodger Goodell came out a bit later and got booed big time. Some F U Rodger chants a lot of the typic A$shole Chants and Rodger has to go. Dude is a total #####. Saw Raider fans absolutely blew them off. It was a nice time but the only things I wish they do is have vendors go around with drinks and such and some kiosk to charge phones would've been great. Some guy I was next too we warmed up to each other let me use his charger since i had to get back to the suburbs by the MFL which was nice. We left a little after the Eagles pick and got home about 20 or so minutes ago. 

5 Things to know about the No.14 pick, Derek Barnett

By: Mo Brewington | 6 minutes ago

1. Pedigree 

Barnett was a productive player from the moment he came to Tennessee. He started 14 games as a true freshman in 2014, racking up nine sacks and 20 tackles for loss. Prior to enrolling in college, he was the winner of Tennessee’s “Mr. Football” award for both 2012 and 2013 as a high school junior and senior.

2. Production

By now, everyone’s heard how Barnett tied Eagles’ legend, Reggie White’s school record for career sacks. It took Barnett just three seasons to overtake “The Minister of Defense”, who played four seasons for the Vols.

What you may not know is that Barnett’s 33 career sacks and 52 career tackles for loss also surpassed the draft’s No. 1 pick Myles Garrett’s three-year totals at Texas A&M. Garrett managed 31 career sacks and 47 tackles for loss.

3. Tremendous Run Defender

Barnett tallied 72 tackles in 2014 which was the third-highest total by a freshman in school history, behind Eric Berry (86 tackles), and A.J. Johnson (82 tackles). This is a strong total for an edge defender, which did decrease gradually over his final two seasons as rushing the passer became his primary duty for the Vols.

Barnett’s play strength and ability to fight off offensive tackles lend themselves to becoming an important run stopper in the Eagles’, suddenly, revamped defensive line, This unit will have two new starters come the opening game of 2017, with Barnett, Vinny Curry, and Chris Long fighting for reps at defensive end, while Tim Jernigan battles Beau Allen for reps at defensive tackle.

4. Pro ready

Unlike Marcus Smith, Barnett comes to Philadelphia as a pure pass rusher who is ready for NFL action. Despite the fact he will not turn 21 until June 26, Barnett has logged 39 collegiate starts at defensive end, the vast majority of which came as a starter.

He’s built for the 4-3 and brings extremely violent hands, and a solid repertoire of pass rushing moves off the edge. There’s no comparison between Barnett’s preparation for the NFL game, and that of Smith — who now finds himself sitting squarely on the roster bubble as the Eagles prepare to enter mini-camp.

5. He has a mean-streak

In the last week, many fans and media-types expressed a desire to see the Eagles select Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster. Much of this sentiment revolved around Foster’s toughness, and how it could rub off on the rest of the Eagle’s defense.

Barnett brings his own brand of toughness and attitude to the table. He impacts plays, even when he’s not the guy making the final take-down and will not hesitate to bury an offensive player when the opportunity presents itself.

New Eagle Derek Barnett has the pedigree and is 'tough as nails'

Derek Barnett didn't play quarterback in high school. He didn't have to transfer from offense to defense early in his collegiate career. He didn't play several positions in different schemes during his three years at Tennessee. And he didn't have just one productive season - he had three.

In other words, Barnett is not Marcus Smith.

Does that mean the 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive end will become an impact player in the NFL or that he won't become a first round bust? No. But there will certainly be less wishing and hoping once the Eagles get their top draft on the field.

As there should be. Barnett went 14th overall, 12 spots earlier than Smith did three years ago, and he seemed almost gifted to the Eagles as one offensive player after the other kept getting drafted Thursday night. Eight of the 13 first selections were quarterbacks (3), wide receivers (3), and running backs (2).

By the time the Eagles were on the clock, there were as many as four defensive players whom many analysts ranked among the top 10 overall prospects in the draft on the board. Defensive lineman Jonathan Allen, safety Malik Hooker, linebacker Rueben Foster, and Barnett had seemingly slipped to the Eagles.

But Allen and Hooker had medical concerns and Foster had character questions, and the Eagles took the safest best of the four, the type of hard-nosed talent that new vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas said that he typically looks for when he's scouting.

"He is a guy that is tough as nails," Douglas said. "When I think of some of the teams I used to watch growing up here in Philadelphia, he's going to fit in with some of those guys from the late '80s, early '90s Eagles teams. He's Philly tough."

That's high praise, but it's not exactly out of left field to compare Barnett to the Reggie Whites, Clyde Simmons or Seth Joyners who played on those Buddy Ryan-Bud Carson defenses. This past year he broke White's Volunteers record for sacks and finished with a total of 33 during his career.

Douglas wasn't about to compare Barnett to White, nor should he. That would be too daunting for the rookie. But there's another Hall of Fame-caliber edge rusher that Douglas wasn't afraid to place in the company of Barnett.

A young scout, Douglas was with the Ravens when they selected Terrell Suggs in the first round of the 2003 draft. And like Barnett, the 6-3, 260-pound Suggs didn't test well during pre-draft workouts. Fourteen seasons and a 1141/2 sacks later, Suggs is still in Baltimore.

"Both guys didn't test outrageously at the combine setting, at the pro day setting, but both are highly-productive players," Douglas said. "High toughness. Great people. Again, his production is unmatched."

Howie Roseman noted that Barnett had the flu at the combine in February and performed at his pro day despite a hamstring strain. But, again, the Eagles weren't as concerned with his testing because what they had seen on film impressed them so much.

As a freshman, Barnett recorded 73 tackles, 201/2 tackles for loss and nine sacks. As a sophomore, he notched 69 tackles, 121/2 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. Last year, he totaled 56 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and 14 sacks. And 28 of his 33 sacks came againt SEC competition.

"At the end of the day, the tape takes a good player," Douglas said. "That's the biggest part of his resume. He's done it at the highest level for a long time."

The Eagles have been burned on prospects that were high achievers in college before. But over the last seven years, since Roseman became general manager, they have had less luck with projections (see: Smith, Danny Watkins, Curtis Marsh.)

Douglas said that Barnett still has a high ceiling, but when he talks about players he often talks about what they have done rather than what they can do. Roseman brought Douglas in so that he would be exposed to a different language and a different method to ranking players.

"I don't know if it's necessarily a departure, but it's more stressed," Roseman said. "There's things that you're attracted to naturally and I think we balance each other on that stuff. I understand the reason why it's so important to have those guys on this football team."

Does that mean that Barnett is a Douglas guy and not Roseman guy? It's too early to say that for certain and when you're picking as high as No. 14, you're going to end up having a lot in common. But there are certain Roseman traits in Barnett - he mentioned his "high motor" - and picking a lineman in the first round isn't out of character for the vice president of football operations.

"Joe and I had a moment in December when he came into my office and started raving about Derek Barnett and I showed him a piece of paper I had written down with his name," Roseman said. "It was kind of a funny moment we had there."

There was a lot of smiling and joking as Roseman and Douglas took to the podium following the announcement. There's time to figure out how Barnett will fit in with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz's scheme and the edge rushing personnel already on the roster (Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Chris Long and, ahem, Smith).

And time, really, to find out if he's legit.

But Roseman didn't have to do much explaining about the machinations of taking Barnett at No. 14. The Eagles have a pressure defense and the Tennessee rusher consistently applied pressure in college.

"We've got to able to get pressure on the quarterback," Roseman said. "This is a 20-year-old pass rusher and someone who could be here for a long time."

The top 10 options for the Eagles in round two of the 2017 NFL Draft

• Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State: Way back in February, we explained why Cook will not be an option for the Eagles in the first round, as he comes with a wide assortment of red flags (character, fumbles, shoulder injuries, etc.). However, in the second round, he would be a steal.

• Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma: We've covered Mixon at length, and the belief here is that there is no better fit at running back in this draft than him. However, obviously, the video of Mixon punching a female is horrific, and any team drafting him will have to be comfortable with the idea that Mixon wants to be a better person. They'll also have to be ready for the public relations fallout.

• Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee: Over his career at Tennessee, Kamara was a complementary back with receiving ability (74-683-7 the last two seasons) out of the backfield, and also the team's main punt returner. Though small, he is a hard runner with good speed (although not elite breakaway speed), with good hands, and tackle-breaking ability. Oddly, Tennessee didn't use Kamara as much as they should have, as he only had 210 carries over the last two seasons.

• Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt: Cunningham is a highly athletic LB who arrived at Vanderbilt looking more like a wide receiver. He put on weight, and has become the clear-cut best player on the team. In 2015, Cunningham filled up the stat sheet, leading the Commodores with 103 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles. In 2016, he had 125 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, and 2 forced fumbles. Cunningham is very good in coverage, and possesses the ability to run sideline to sideline and make plays.

• Kevin King, CB, Washington: King has "Seahawks corner" measurements, at 6'3, 200. His college career path followed a similar pattern to that of former Eagles second-round pick Eric Rowe, in that King moved from safety to corner while at Washington. He has also played quite a bit in the slot. In 2016, King had 44 tackles, two interceptions, and an impressive 13 pass breakups. While Jim Schwartz was not a big Rowe fan, it was not because of his measurements.

• Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida: Wilson is a big corner at 6'1, 211, and is highly competitive, a trait that Jim Schwartz will love. Wilson is great in press at the line of scrimmage, and does a surprisingly effective job sticking with shiftier receivers.

• Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson: The 2015 season was Tankersley's first as a starter at corner, and he was smart to stay at Clemson for his senior season to build on his impressive starting debut. In 2015, Tankersley led the Tigers with five interceptions and nine pass breakups. In 2016, he had four interceptions and 11 pass breakups. At 6'1, 199, Tankersley has good size and production.

• Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado: Awuzie has good size and is a physical tackler who also contributed on special teams for the Buffaloes. He has an abnormal number of tackles from his corner spot over the last four seasons.

• Obi Melifonwu, S, UConn: Melifonwu is a size-athleticism freak of nature, much like former UConn CB/S safety Byron Jones was in 2015, when the Eagles passed on him to draft Nelson Agholor. In 2016, Melifonwu had 118 tackles, 4 INT, and 3 pass breakups.

• Budda Baker, S, Washington: Extremely competitive player, but small, at 5'10, 195. Baker could double as a slot corner in addition to playing centerfield.

That was wild. 

QBs: 2, 10, 12
RBs: 4, 8
WRs: 5, 7, 9

8 of top 12 picks were QB/RB/WR... then 0 in the rest of the first round.

need2know said:
Eagles selected Tennessee DE Derek Barnett with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
Barnett helps round out an already-solid Eagles line. Barnett (6’3/259) made 36 starts in three seasons as a Vol, tallying 52 tackles for loss and breaking Reggie White’s school record for sacks (33). He earned first-team All-America honors in 2016. As Barnett won’t turn 21 until June, his incredible production came at ages 18-20 in the SEC. PFF College gave Barnett a higher pass-rush rating than Myles Garrett last season. While Barnett lacks a dynamic get-off, his insatiable and relentless motor, edge bend, ability to hand fight and win with power, and bone-crunching takedown skills give Barnett a high floor as a three-down defender. NFL Films’ Greg Cosell has compared Barnett to Vikings DE Everson Griffen. Apr 27 - 9:52 PM

Hogh motor guy. Exactly what I hate hearing. FML. Hope I'm wrong...

Watching the dud clips of Garretts lazy plays I will accept the high motor description.

years of comparing to Allen and ? to come.  

Another thing about Allen.  I am a bama homer.  Watch every game.  Allen is talented no doubt but there were many games, including the championship this year, where he disappeared for long stretches.  Didn't watch as much Tennessee but Barnett flashed almost every time I watched them.  

I also like what Hollis Thomas said today about him. He said that when Brandon Graham came out, he had to learn techniques and foot work at and NFL level. He was a freak athlete but not very technically sound. That's why it took him 5 years to get good.  Hollis said that Barnett already has that part down. He has 3 solid moves he can do from day 1 on tackles and he knows exactly how to leverage.

I'm always skeptical when we go DE cause we suck at taking them. But it finally looks like we got a potential highlight reel stud.

Barnett wasn't my first choice but the more I read about the kid the more I like.  It should be a solid pick.  Welcome to the Nest Derek.  Get ready to crack some skulls.

I also like what Hollis Thomas said today about him. He said that when Brandon Graham came out, he had to learn techniques and foot work at and NFL level. He was a freak athlete but not very technically sound. That's why it took him 5 years to get good.  Hollis said that Barnett already has that part down. He has 3 solid moves he can do from day 1 on tackles and he knows exactly how to leverage.

I'm always skeptical when we go DE cause we suck at taking them. But it finally looks like we got a potential highlight reel stud.
I liked reading about how he enjoys studying the olineman he faces. That letter was a good look into what drives him.  I can see why the eagles had him high

20 year-old pass rusher that has multiple moves to get to the QB, is a solid run defender and one of the few top-rated picks without character or injury red flags. Based on how the first 13 picks went, I think it was a good pick.
I might've read it up top but his floor sounds like Brandon Graham now and Ceiling is Suggs.  I'll take it.

Gopher State said:
Prior to the draft they where showing pictures of eagle fans  holding signs making fun of the Vikings for trading their  number one number pick for Bradford, after seeing the Eagles pick it looks like the Vikings got the last laught.
huh?  by missing the playoffs and not having a first-round pick?

20 year-old pass rusher that has multiple moves to get to the QB, is a solid run defender and one of the few top-rated picks without character or injury red flags. Based on how the first 13 picks went, I think it was a good pick.
Bold part cannot be overstated.

I don't have the time to dig up the links, but there have been multiple articles written (Adam Harstad may have done one himself) about how, all other things being equal, being seen as top-end NFL talent at age 20-21 is a big net positive for one's future NFL prospects compared to coming in at age 22-23 or older.

The gist is that physical and mental development continues well into one's 20s, so recording "x" level of performance against "y" level of competition as a 19-year-old is actually much more impressive than recording the exact same performance against the exact same competition at age 22. There's a much better chance you haven't yet seen the 19-year-old's ceiling compared to the 22-year-old's.

The more I learn about this kid, the more excited I get. Welcome to the Birds, Derek!

It's gotta be RB and cb with next 2 picks.  Not sure what order though.  If mixon or  cook are there in round 2 I think you have to take that

Here was my draft experience:

I redeemed rewards points from my Eagles credit card for VIP passes to Round 1. I had no details on what the passes included. Even when I got there no one seemed to know other than pointing me to a hospitality tent that didn't open for 7 more hours (we got there at noon.) So we went around to all the activities, collected the badges with the app to get entered for prizes, collected all the swag and also got on the stand-by list for theater tickets, just in case. 

The VIP tent turned out to be an indoor place with free food and drinks, with glass windows overlooking the draft. It was basically watching the draft from a luxury suite, if they had held it at the Linc. We got a swag bag and Brent Celek was our "meet and greet" guest who mingled, took pics, signed stuff, etc. 

About 10 minutes before the VIP tent opened, I got a text that stand-by tickets came through. We had 30 minutes to report to the theater. So we waited until the tent opened, loaded up on food to-go, and hustled over to the theater. We got 2 seats in the mezzanine, but they were not together (same section, few rows apart.) We were right behind the ESPN set, and I was behind Mayock. Decent view and it was cool being in the theater. 

It appears the stand-by list was somehow tilted, or prioritized, to stack Eagles fans in there. Maybe they took the stance of: all fans got a shot at tickets in the lottery, but if any of them don't show up, we're going to get Eagles fans in their place. I say that because both me and my brother-in-law signed up for stand-by at the kiosk around 3pm. However, his text confirmation said he was about #3,000 on the list. Mine said I was #39, and came from a different phone number (ETA: my text mentioned "Eagles waiting list" an his "NFL waiting list.") The only thing I can figure is that my phone number was flagged as a season ticket holder. A few hours later I got the call we were in, and he had moved down to only #2,800.

After the Eagles pick, people started leaving so we were able to move a little closer and sit together, for a few picks. Then we went back to the VIP tent to get more food and drinks, watch some more picks, and let the mass exodus die down. 

We were at the infamous Carson Wentz appearance where he took the Cowboy's fan's hat off. There's more to that story, as the sponsor, Oikos, did a really poor job of organizing that. They had a plinko-style game where you drop a football from the top of a big board for prizes. That's where Wentz got up and stood. I think the intent was that people would line up the same way, only instead of playing the game they were meeting Wentz for a pic (no autographs.) But it turned into a mob scene, unsurprisingly, because they didn't make a queue or explain where to stand, what they were doing, etc. So the "line" just started randomly from the crowd closest to the exit of the game, not the entrance, and the Cowboy fan with the hat was the 3rd guy to get up there. Next, was a guy in a Cowboys jersey (they were probably together.) Wentz couldn't do anything about that, obviously. It got to be such a mess, that we left after it looked like there was no rhyme or reason to what was going on or how to get in "line." 

We also got interviewed by a reporter and quoted in their story about fans at the draft, met lots of cool people and fans from other teams we got to talk about the draft with. The food vendor row had a very large selection and prices were the same as what you would see in the stadium. I tried twice to get a crab cake sandwich from the DiBruno Brothers stand, but both times the crab cakes weren't ready yet. The event opened at noon and it was 1:30, and their food still wasn't ready? Wound up getting cheesesteak eggrolls with siracha ketchup, from Nick's (which turned out to be one of the free catered items in the VIP tent later!) 

I have free passes to the Eagles Nest viewing section on Saturday, but don't think I'm going to use them. Planned to take my 8 year-old but I brought back all the freebies for him already and the Eagles Nest section is kind of bunk. It's a semi-circle around the back of the George Washington statue. Probably looks good on TV to show a concentrated crowd of crazy Eagles fans, but between the statue and the big production tent in front of it, the view into the theater is limited (and kinda far.)  

Crowd control was good. Seemed like the city had everything organized, plenty of (relatively) clean port-a-johns and the water stations were convenient (have to bring your own, empty bottle.) They're saying about 70,000 were there and I don't think that's an exaggeration. Lines were long for zip line (which was underwhelming; probably the most disappointing thing about the event, when compared to things they hyped up), the Lombardi trophy and any of the autograph appearances. Everything else was reasonable wait times, but we did hit most of them in the first few hours after it opened. 

I think we'll be a victim of our own success. We'll probably not see it here again for a long time as other cities will be fighting to host (more than they already were.) Unless something embarrassing happens today or tomorrow, this will probably go down as a big success for the city and way better than the Pope and DNC expectations/projections. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have really wanted them to be DB-heavy all along, but if Kamara and Cook are there, it would be really hard to pass up.

I guess in theory, Schwartz's scheme de-prioritizes the secondary and emphasizes the rush, which they obviously upgraded.  Not sure I buy into it fully, especially with our current CB personnel.

It's gotta be RB and cb with next 2 picks.  Not sure what order though.  If mixon or  cook are there in round 2 I think you have to take that
Rumors are that the Saints are shopping Ingram. Anyone interested? He'd be a stopgap for sure, but I'd be OK with throwing a 5th the Saints' way to make that happen, because #### Mixon.

Rumors are that the Saints are shopping Ingram. Anyone interested? He'd be a stopgap for sure, but I'd be OK with throwing a 5th the Saints' way to make that happen, because #### Mixon.
I'm not sure that Ingram fits us that well.  Don't we need guys who are more adept at receiving and better in space, rather than straight-ahead runners?  I guess he could be something, but I think I'd rather get some younger backs.

I'm not sure that Ingram fits us that well.  Don't we need guys who are more adept at receiving and better in space, rather than straight-ahead runners?  I guess he could be something, but I think I'd rather get some younger backs.
Isn't that the role we want Smallwood playing though? Unless they're just kicking him to the curb, I don't see an issue with using a straight-ahead guy like Ingram as a 2-down back and using Smallwood primarily on passing downs. And it's not like Ingram's a total zero in the pass game either .. he caught 46 balls last season.

I wouldn't hate Blount in that banger role either, just think Ingram being 3 years younger and a much better receiver merits a late-rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping either Cooks or Mixon is there for us in the second.  Anyone hear rumors of teams drafting ahead of us that are looking for a running back?

I'm hoping either Cooks or Mixon is there for us in the second.  Anyone hear rumors of teams drafting ahead of us that are looking for a running back?
dunno for sure, but looking at the teams, Jags, Rams, Chargers, and Panthers should be set.

I would guess the Bears would not prioritize RB and the Jets and 49ers have a lot of other needs.

Cleveland may be set with the Crow, but nothing would shock me from them.

Bengals are a toss-up to me, given the injury issues for Hill and Bernard.

Saints seem like the biggest danger to me.

Users who are viewing this thread