What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clipping nails at work (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
A coworker has made it known to me that some people in the office are bothered by the sound of an employee that is clipping his nails at his desk.   This employee is a member of my staff and I am in the midst of doing job performance reviews and doing his this afternoon.  

Obviously this has nothing to do with his performance (which is excellent) but I am wondering if I should mention this to him as his manager or let the people that are bothered with it either tell him or go to HR.

I'm thinking I should let him know but what's the FFA say?

Clip your nails while doing his review.  Make sure a stray or two hit him in the face.

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF THAT GUY STARTED CHEWING HIS NAILS IN MEETINGS!!one11! THEN HE ROLLED THEM AROUND IN HIS MOUTH LIKE IT WAS SOME KIND OF BREATH MINT!!! CAN YOU IMAGINE!! THEN HE SPIT THE MASTICATED FINGERNAIL BITS ON THE CONFERENCE ROOM TABLE!!! IN A MEETING!! CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT???!!!

*i can. it happens in every single team meeting i attend. sometimes when he laughs (all the time!!!! CAN YOU IMAGINE!?!!?!) bits of his nails fly out. CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!?? i can. 

**tell him you'll fire him if he keeps it up. nothing short of that seems to matter to this kind of guy. I CAN IMAGINE IT BECAUSE I'M LIVING IT RIGHT NOW!!111!1!

Any personal grooming should be done at home or in the bathroom. Pretty simple really. I cant see a strong argument for clipping nails being anything remotely "professional". 

I clip my nails at work sometimes but I have my own office(basically my own half the building).  As someone who works at a desk on a computer all day let me say this.  I don't clip them because I feel like grooming, I clip them because I 10 key constantly and if I forget to do it at home when they get longer it bothers me and slows me down a little.  So you need to ask yourself is he grooming or improving performance.   :D

I had a shipping company that we used a lot give us a gift, with their name on the case etc.  Inside were nail clippers, tweezers, and small scissors.  Not meant for home use.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ee/db/ca/eedbca5a0ce20b57af5bcfd144c6aa9d.jpg

Something like this but only 3 items.

My direct boss does this at is desk too, who should I tell?
Our company owner says that one of his great joys in life is being able to clip his fingernails in the office and not have to worry about cleaning up the clippings. Once a week he'll just walk up and down the hallways clipping his nails, with the clippings flying off and landing on the floor or on people's desks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't say anything but tell the co-worker that tattled to you on this guy that they need to address it by talking to his peer.

Is this really an issue HR would take on?  How often can someone clip their nails?  Twice a week?  Seems absurd.  Given all the personal conversations, bodily noises, gossip, etc. heard in a cubicle environment this is a non-issue.

Welcome to working in a group setting. 

People are "bothered" by the sound of clipping nails?  What a bunch of primadonnas.    How on god's earth is that a sound that is found offensive?   Unless the guy is shooting his clipped nails at other employees--or not doing it over a trash can--I would do absolutely nothing.   You said yourself that he performs excellently at work--so it's not like the dude is wasting so much company time that he deserves a talking to.  I have people at my workplace who eat with their mouths open, that brush and comb their hair at the workplace(shedding some hairs here and there)--but that is not something that should or needs to be brought up to them during a performance review.  Tell the complainers to grow the eff up and to manage how easily they are offended. 

Is this really an issue HR would take on?  How often can someone clip their nails?  Twice a week?  Seems absurd.  Given all the personal conversations, bodily noises, gossip, etc. heard in a cubicle environment this is a non-issue.

Welcome to working in a group setting. 
Yes.  Agreed that HR is not the place to go but so many people do.  I know in my office someone went to HR because someone didn't like the way someone said hello to them.  WTF?   :crazy:

I'd mention it to the guy, but jc, like 2 minutes of nail clipping once a week bothers people.   I can't imagine all the other wonderful things that bother these folks.   Get some headphones and some white noise.   

After careful consideration I have decided that it isn't my place to tell him.  It isn't a violation of any company rules or policies that I am aware of and I'm not even sure if it is true or that he is the one doing it.   

People are "bothered" by the sound of clipping nails?  What a bunch of primadonnas.    How on god's earth is that a sound that is found offensive?   Unless the guy is shooting his clipped nails at other employees--or not doing it over a trash can--I would do absolutely nothing.   You said yourself that he performs excellently at work--so it's not like the dude is wasting so much company time that he deserves a talking to.  I have people at my workplace who eat with their mouths open, that brush and comb their hair at the workplace(shedding some hairs here and there)--but that is not something that should or needs to be brought up to them during a performance review.  Tell the complainers to grow the eff up and to manage how easily they are offended. 
You sound like the guy who wipes boogers on the wall above urinals.

I clipped my nails at work once and the lady in the cubicle next to me told me it bothered her. I haven't done it since.

We have a guy in our office who picks his nose constantly.  It has to be like a nervous twitch or something.  Dude will do it in front of you while talking to you.  Another co-worker started handing him a tissue every single time he saw him with his finger in his nose.  This did not help bring attetion to his habit, it only caused us to run out of tissues in the office.  

Start hiding nail files.

Also, personal hygiene practices should be done at home or at minimum in the restroom.

We have a guy in our office who picks his nose constantly.  It has to be like a nervous twitch or something.  Dude will do it in front of you while talking to you.  Another co-worker started handing him a tissue every single time he saw him with his finger in his nose.  This did not help bring attetion to his habit, it only caused us to run out of tissues in the office.  
My friend sometimes rubs his nipples in front of people.  He doesn't  know he's doing it most of the time.  Most of the time.

The correct answer is who gives a ####.  I don't put any effort into this at all and if HR comes to me about my employee, I tell them it's stupid.

Edited to add:  There's probably more going on here than just nail clipping.  Most likely these folks have personality issues with this guy but this is the only real action they can complain about.

To the office clippers here, honest question: What's the reason/logic for clipping at work? You couldn't find 2 minutes at home to do it? Are you just like hmmm, I think I'll take me nail clippers to work today and then non-chalantly slide them into your pocket? Like what's the motivation here?

To the office clippers here, honest question: What's the reason/logic for clipping at work? You couldn't find 2 minutes at home to do it? Are you just like hmmm, I think I'll take me nail clippers to work today and then non-chalantly slide them into your pocket? Like what's the motivation here?
I try to do as much as possible on the company dime.  I keep the clippers in my desk.   I do clip them a lot at home, but a lot of times I forget and since I'm here looking to kill time, if I notice they need a clipping, I'll do it.   

I clip mine at work too.  But only because I end up noticing it needs done when I'm trying to type.  I never clip them in the office with the coworkers though.  I generally will go out on the warehouse floor and clip them over this giant garbage can out there.  It's a warehouse and no one is in my immediate vicinity.

I try to do as much as possible on the company dime.  I keep the clippers in my desk.   I do clip them a lot at home, but a lot of times I forget and since I'm here looking to kill time, if I notice they need a clipping, I'll do it.   
ok.

we're here to tell you that it's disgusting. stop. or at least go to the bathroom and do it there.

Any personal grooming should be done at home or in the bathroom. Pretty simple really. I cant see a strong argument for clipping nails being anything remotely "professional". 
Exactly - this is real simple - "Bob, somebody mentioned that you clipping your nails bothered them.  Please try to do this at home - if you have a nail emergency, please go ahead but otherwise do this at home."

You sound like the guy who wipes boogers on the wall above urinals.
Ummm--not at all. I'm actually a germ-o-phob--so if anything--nail clippings should bug me more than they do the average person. I however understand that in workplace environments--not everybody will or should be expected to do everything that is perfectly in line with my comforts.  I also don't like when people punch at their keyboards too hard when they type--I can't stand the sound of heavy breathing--I hate the sound of sloshing food when people can't chew with their mouths shut.  However--I understand that these are my individual comforts and I cannot impose them on others (as long as there are no health/sanitation concerns).   I also certainly wouldn't complain about any of these types of things to management.  If I don't have the guts to say something to a person directly--then I keep my mouth shut.   The dude that finds it appropriate to mess with somebodies money over such a non-issue is the type of person that sounds like the "guy who wipes boogers on the wall above urinals"--not me.  

Ummm--not at all. I'm actually a germ-o-phob--so if anything--nail clippings should bug me more than they do the average person. I however understand that in workplace environments--not everybody will or should be expected to do everything that is perfectly in line with my comforts.  I also don't like when people punch at their keyboards too hard when they type--I can't stand the sound of heavy breathing--I hate the sound of sloshing food when people can't chew with their mouths shut.  However--I understand that these are my individual comforts and I cannot impose them on others (as long as there are no health/sanitation concerns).   I also certainly wouldn't complain about any of these types of things to management.  If I don't have the guts to say something to a person directly--then I keep my mouth shut.   The dude that finds it appropriate to mess with somebodies money over such a non-issue is the type of person that sounds like the "guy who wipes boogers on the wall above urinals"--not me.  
You can go on and on.   Eating at your desk.   Talking on the phone to your wife.   Tapping.   Sneezing.  Coughing.   Its endless.    

That is good schtick

You people are disgusting.

To the OP -- I'd give him his review as you were planning and at the end say hey, by the way, not a big deal but I'd appreciate it if you would clip your nails at home. Don't mention anyone said anything about and it will seem like a personal request from the boss. Hopefully the guy is sane and normal and will say okay, and that will be that.

In my office the AVP or manager would send an email to everyone in the dept about how anything hygiene related should be done in the bathroom.  

Then my coworkers and I would spend the rest of the day conversing about what the hell happened to cause that email.  BAU.

Users who are viewing this thread