What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (7 Viewers)

This notion that "personal beliefs" are a bad thing when held by law enforcement is so incredibly absurd. Just so dumb. 

Hell, judges and juries have "personal beliefs" when they rule on death penalty cases. The presumption is that both can set aside those beliefs and evaluate the facts / law from a place of objectivity. 
The right is openly celebrating the beliefs of a SCOTUS nominee...

This notion that "personal beliefs" are a bad thing when held by law enforcement is so incredibly absurd. Just so dumb. 

Hell, judges and juries have "personal beliefs" when they rule on death penalty cases. The presumption is that both can set aside those beliefs and evaluate the facts / law from a place of objectivity. 
:goodposting:

In almost every case it's a tactic used exclusively by people who are guilty or otherwise in the wrong. Show something that overcomes the presumption or sit down. 

In this case it's fairly obvious that the GOP can't show anything that comes close to overcoming the presumption- that's why all the talk is about his personal beliefs. There has been no significant effort, here or elsewhere or in any of the other recent instances when they've tried to make this ridiculous claim about law enforcement, to actually show it affecting the work.

Of course they are expected to, and can:

“President Trump has made a superb choice,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in a statement Monday. “Judge Brett Kavanaugh is an impressive nominee who is extremely well qualified to serve as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. … His judicial record demonstrates a firm understanding of the role of a judge in our Republic: Setting aside personal views and political preferences in order to interpret our laws as they are written.”

The difference so far, from what I am hearing is:

People talk differently in private vs. public settings. At no time do we expect our private conversations to become public. Therefore, in order for someone to understand our private conversations, the need to understand much more than simple words. They need to understand the relationship between the private individuals, understand who those people are, and a multitude of other things.

It appears Republicans want to take words at their meaning without context, understanding, and/or relevance of the conversation.

This is not just in this case as Republicans have held this belief in texts such as, The Bible, The Constitution, and whatever else. This is such a wrong way to look at texts and/or read texts because the meanings of words change over time, context of words change over time, and interpretations of words change over time.

I find this way of thinking remarkable, disturbing, and counter productive to moving forward in any constructive manner.

People talk differently in private vs. public settings. At no time do we expect our private conversations to become public. Therefore, in order for someone to understand our private conversations, the need to understand much more than simple words. They need to understand the relationship between the private individuals, understand who those people are, and a multitude of other things.

It appears Republicans want to take words at their meaning without context, understanding, and/or relevance of the conversation.

This is not just in this case as Republicans have held this belief in texts such as, The Bible, The Constitution, and whatever else. This is such a wrong way to look at texts and/or read texts because the meanings of words change over time, context of words change over time, and interpretations of words change over time.

I find this way of thinking remarkable, disturbing, and counter productive to moving forward in any constructive manner.
They also make an exception for things Trump says. They’ve made it clear we shouldn’t pay heed to things he’s said.

Gotta keep moving those goal posts.

We shall see if this proves to be the case when the Russian investigation goes public. I suspect they may sing a different tune.

"Seems we have some time and if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not able to watch but have they asked what he meant when he said in his text about Trump becoming President ‘we’ll stop it’?

Enough.  Every narrative GOP has manufactured to excuse cooperating with Russia to interfere with the election has been based on fantasy, including this.  Will you finally ask yourself the right question: Why do they need to do this?

I certainly ask myself why you choose to believe it and each new iteration even when they are debunked.
In his defense, Trump jailing his political adversaries or those perceived to be may not be far off. 

How many public hearings were conducted for the House or Senate Russia investigations?

I don't recall many. Comey, I guess, could fall in that bucket (can't remember who called him)

Agreed. The same exact principles apply to arguments that Kavanaugh should recuse himself from any cases that involve Trump. Unless there's an actual conflict of interest, we assume professionals can put aside their personal or political views and do their jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread