Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn

whoknew

46 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:
5 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

"Donald J. Trump Criminal Investigation" has a certain ring to it.

I initially dismissed this - but maybe Flynn had information related to the Obstruction of Justice investigation, which would be separate from the interference investigation, but also likely to be spelled out explicitly in the order creating the Special Counsel.

6 hours ago, ren hoek said:

I do have a vague idea of the difference, but hadn't really gathered that this case was civil rather than criminal.  Why would there be no civil recourse here, where there almost certainly would be against plebeians such as myself?  Doesn't the law have a mechanism for seeking damages when people violate constitutional rights, throw you in a cell, beat you etc., without a valid pretense for doing so?  Asking honestly, I don't know and appreciate the pro tips.  

You’re going to have to clearly and narrowly state what Robert Mueller personally did that was wrong in order to sue him.  And whatever that is has to have a corresponding law allowing you to sue him. 

The operative mindset when suing a governmental entity or employee isn’t “why can’t I sue them?” But rather “why can I sue them?”  The right to sue the government goes only as far as the government lets it. 

41 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

So does Fox News have a crisis team that gathers when their past 'stories' have all turned out to be proven false and determine which new line of BS they're going to feed their more-than-willing viewers to try to keep them in line?  I would love to see the creative process behind hilarity like 'process crimes'.

I think they are like Trump...forget all about the past, what was said and if it made any sense, and spin in the current moment. They are holding on for as long as they can. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msommer said:

Specifically, wasn't it a Saudi-Russia nuclear power deal? Not Arabs as that would also encompass most of the rest of the Middle East and not nuke as in nuclear weapon

You may be right, yes it was Saudi Arabia but I thought there was a grander plan to contract elsewhere in the Arab world as well.

28 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

This is the sentence from the Flynn Memo that should worry Trump and Kushner the most:

"However, senior government leaders should be held to the highest standards."

I can't help but think back to conversations around this place regarding holding our representatives to a standard.  We have some who think the higher you go, the more leeway they should get.  They believe they shouldn't be bogged down in the "details" of the job.  I personally think that is exactly backwards.  This comment gave me pause not because of what it says, rather who said it.  I feel validated and concerned all at the same time :lol: 

• Like 1

>>Giuliani has actually made this mistake before. He failed to put a space between "collusion" and "So" in this tweet, so someone bought "collusion.so" and redirected it to Lawfare under the topic "The Russian Connection" (Lawfare itself didn't do this). There, you can find many, many articles about Mueller's Russia investigation and the Trump-related discoveries thereof.

While he now works as a legal advisor to the White House, Trump originally brought Giuliani in as a cybersecurity advisor. He ran a security consulting firm for 16 years, but as many a Twitter jokester noted, clearly wasn't the cyber brains of the operation. One noted that while websites can be technical, "Rudy doesn't even know how spacebars work."<<

Rudy blaming twitter for his spectacular typo fail.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I do love the "you don't get rich being a general" intro.

He retired from the Army is 2014, which is a $190,000 a year gig. Retirement pay at that level would be like $150,000 a year. He also ran a consulting firm for two years after retirement, and I am sure he was compensated well.

So sure, he isn't Donald Trump wealthy, but come on now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JuniorNB said:

So does Fox News have a crisis team that gathers when their past 'stories' have all turned out to be proven false and determine which new line of BS they're going to feed their more-than-willing viewers to try to keep them in line?  I would love to see the creative process behind hilarity like 'process crimes'.

The executives and producers at Fox News have meetings every single day to determine which Republican talking points they will be emphasizing that day. This brain trust will choose specific catch phrases ("process crimes!") and instruct every Fox show to repeat the same phrases multiple times, ensuring that the viewers get a consistent message that is easy to remember.

Once a catch phrase has been thoroughly debunked, the brain trust will come up with a new phrase. But as we just saw with Doocy and Kilmeade, some incantations ("No collusion!") are harder to forget.

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 4m4 minutes ago

Interesting: The Flynn filing doesn't mention Jared Kushner, despite Flynn and Kushner's interactions with Kislyak.

"If Flynn offered federal authorities a different version of events than Kushner ... [Kushner] may have to start scrambling."

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-05/mueller-s-flynn-memo-should-worry-kushner-and-trump

45 minutes ago, squistion said:

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 4m4 minutes ago

Interesting: The Flynn filing doesn't mention Jared Kushner, despite Flynn and Kushner's interactions with Kislyak.

"If Flynn offered federal authorities a different version of events than Kushner ... [Kushner] may have to start scrambling."

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-05/mueller-s-flynn-memo-should-worry-kushner-and-trump

Everyone seems to assume that the blacked out parts are about the other two investigations. I’d say it’s just as likely that it’s about Jared, Donald, Don Jr and Mike. I think what’s behind the redaction could change several narratives - did Trump direct him go contact anyone, how much of a part did Jared play and what happened in his actual conversation with Pence.

2 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

What?!  No, that you can drink vodka and it's hard for other people to smell it, duh.

That too...just funny how it talked about a little advertising and how it worked...I mean Americans surely wouldn’t fall for Russian advertising on social media these days.

14 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Why is it that when I run onto the field at AT&T Stadium during a Cowboys game, the security staff detains me, but when Ezekiel Elliott does it, somehow it’s okay.

Damn affirmative action.

Federal prosecutors in Virginia are investigating a secret Turkish lobbying effort that once involved Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser, even as Mr. Flynn’s role in the special counsel’s investigation winds down, according to people familiar with the inquiry.

Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel, had been handling the case and at some point referred it back to prosecutors in Alexandria, Va., who had originally opened the investigation, the people said. A veteran national security prosecutor is overseeing the case, and a grand jury has been empaneled to hear evidence.

- Turkish corruption investigation moving forward.

• Like 1

Timeline of Flynn's "process crimes" taken from Reddit

Link 

---

**April 2014** — Flynn is fired as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency ("abusive with staff, didn't listen, worked against policy, bad management, etc." per Colin Powell).

**Oct. 2014** — Flynn founds Flynn Intel Group. In a letter from the DIA, Flynn is warned that he is prohibited from receiving "consulting fees, gifts, travel expenses, honoraria, or salary ... from a foreign government unless congressional consent is first obtained".

**Summer 2015** — Flynn is paid by ACU Strategic Partners to travel to the Middle East to promote a trillion-dollar Saudi-financed U.S.–Russian business to develop nuclear power capabilities in the Arab world.  Flynn does not disclose this trip when applying for his security clearance renewal in Jan. 2016

**Late Summer 2015** — Flynn begins advising the Trump campaign.

**Aug. 2015** — Flynn receives a $15,000 speaking fee from Volga-Dnepr Airlines, a Russian airfreight company that the U.N. had suspended from its list of approved vendors after a corruption scandal involving an indicted Russian U.N. official.

**Oct. 2015** — Flynn receives a $15,000 speaking fee from a subsidiary Kaspersky Lab. Ruslan Stoyanov, head of Kaspersky's computer incidents investigation unit is arrested in Russia, for treason, in December 2016.

Flynn travels to Saudi Arabia to again promote the Saudi/Russian nuclear project. He fails to disclose the nature of the travel and reports a fictional hotel name as his residence during the trip.

**Dec. 2** — Flynn and his son meet with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak at his Washington, D.C. residence.  In a subsequent email to the Russian embassy, Flynn’s son described the meeting as “very productive”. The meeting came to light publicly only in April 2018.

**Dec. 10** — Seated [directly at Vladimir Putin's right hand](https://i.imgur.com/SIDZYAu.jpg), Flynn appears in Moscow at a gala hosted by Kremlin-controlled propaganda outlet Russia Today (RT).  RT pays Flynn $45,000 for his participation and provides airfare, accommodations and other expenses for Flynn and his son.

U.S. intelligence notices an uptick in communication between Flynn and Kislyak shortly after.

**Feb. 2016** — Flynn increases his role with the Trump campaign and is later vetted as a possible VP pick.

**Feb. 11** — While applying for renewal of his security clearance, Flynn tells Pentagon investigators that he had received no income from foreign companies and had only “insubstantial contact” with foreign nationals.

**May 2016** — Flynn joins the advisory board of OSY Technologies, part of the NSO Group, a secretive cyberweapons dealer founded by former Israeli intelligence officials.  NSO's spyware is subsequently found to have been used to attack and surveil prominent journalists and human rights activists.

**July 18** — Flynn leads crowds at the Republican National Convention in chants of "Lock her up!", saying "if I did a tenth of what she did, I would be in jail today!".

**Aug. 9** — Flynn signs a contract with Inovo, a firm owned by Ekim Alptekin, a close ally and appointee of Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.  Flynn is assigned to run an influence campaign to discredit Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric who lives in Pennsylvania and was blamed by Erdogan for a failed coup.

**Summer 2016** — Flynn Intel begins work on a pro-Turkey documentary, hiring professionals to shoot it, misleading them about the intentions of the project and working to conceal its role in producing the film.

**Aug. 17** — Flynn begins attending classified intelligence briefings with candidate Trump.

**Sept. 3** — Flynn and associates begin reaching out to Russian hackers in an attempt to obtain Clinton's personal e-mails and transmit them to Flynn through an intermediary.

**Sept. 19** — Flynn meets with Turkey's ministers of foreign affairs and energy, Erdogan's son-in-law, and other officials at an undisclosed New York hotel, in a meeting arranged by Alptekin.  Among other topics, Flynn discusses a plan for "a covert step in the dead of night to whisk [Gulen] away" without going through the legal extradition process.

**Sept. 20** — Flynn, his son and business partners meet with Dana Rohrabacher, a U.S. congressman best known as a staunch advocate of pro-Russia policies.

**Nov. 8** — Election day.  Flynn publishes a lengthy op-ed entitled "Our ally Turkey is in crisis and needs our support". He states that "we need to see the world from Turkey’s perspective" and brands Gulen as "a radical Islamist". Flynn does not disclose to the publisher that he was being paid by Alptekin.

**Nov. 10** — Obama, in a face-to-face conversation with Trump, warns against hiring Flynn to be part of Trump's national security team.

**Nov. 11** — Media reports expose Flynn's contract with Alptekin to lobby on behalf of Turkey.

**Nov. 14** — Flynn receives the final installment of $530,000 from Alptekin.

**Nov. 18** — Flynn accepts Trump's offer of the position of National Security Advisor.  Pence receives a letter from Rep. Cummings notifying him of Flynn's work on behalf of Turkey.

**Nov. 30** — The Justice Department notifies Flynn that it is scrutinizing his work lobbying on behalf of the Turkish government.

**Nov./Dec. 2016** — Flynn meets with Austrian far-right leader Heinz-Christian Strache at Trump Tower.  Strache announces weeks later that his party has signed a cooperation agreement with Vladimir Putin's ruling party.

**Dec. 1** — Flynn meets with Russian ambassador Kislyak and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner at Trump Tower. The men discuss the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump’s transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities to shield their discussions from monitoring.

**Mid-Dec.** — Flynn meets with the Turkish government to discuss an offer to pay him and his son as much as $15 million to kidnap Gulen and deliver him to a Turkish prison island.

**Dec. 22** — Flynn secretly asks Kislyak for Russia's help to delay or defeat a pending UN Security Council resolution.

**Dec. 29** — Flynn secretly discusses relief from U.S. sanctions with Kislyak on the same day the Obama administration announces its response to Russian interference in the campaign.

**Jan. 4** — Flynn tells Trump’s transition team that he is under federal investigation for secretly working as a paid lobbyist for Turkey during the campaign.

**Jan. 6** *(approx.)* — The FBI begins investigating Flynn's late December phone conversations with Kislyak.

**Jan. 12** — Conforming to the wishes of Turkey, Flynn instructs the Obama administration to hold off on a military operation to retake the Islamic State’s de facto capital of Raqqa with Syrian Kurdish forces.

**Jan. 18** — Flynn attends a “working breakfast” with the Foreign Minister of Turkey and others, including Devin Nunes, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

**Jan. 20** — Trump is inaugurated. Flynn becomes National Security Advisor.

Eleven minutes into the Trump presidency, [Flynn texts ACU managing partner Alex Copson](https://i.imgur.com/z8fAPhh.jpg) that the Russian nuclear plan is "good to go" and "to put things in place".  Copson tells associates that Flynn would ensure that sanctions against Russia are "ripped up" and that "this is going to make a lot of very wealthy people".

**Jan. 22** — The WSJ reports that Flynn is under investigation by U.S. counterintelligence agents regarding his communications with Russian officials.

**Jan. 24** — The FBI interviews Flynn regarding his Russian contacts.

**Jan. 26** — Acting Attorney General Sally Yates informs the White House that Flynn misled the FBI in his interview, that the DOJ knew that Flynn’s public accounts were untrue, and expressed concerns that he was vulnerable to blackmail by Russian intelligence.

**Jan. 30** — Trump fires Yates.

**Feb. 13** — Flynn is forced out of his role as NSA after The Washington Post reports on Yates's warning to the Trump White House.

**Feb. 14** — In a private conversation with FBI director Comey, Trump asks Comey to end any investigation into Flynn, stating “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.”

**March 7** — Flynn files paperwork acknowledging that he worked as a foreign agent representing the interests of the Turkish government.

**March 22** — Trump asks Director of National Intelligence Coats to intervene with Comey to get the FBI to back off its focus on Flynn.

**March 30** — Flynn tells the FBI and congressional officials that he is willing to be interviewed in exchange for immunity from prosecution, with his lawyer stating that “General Flynn has a story to tell, and he very much wants to tell it, should the circumstances permit”.

**April 25** — Flynn tells associates, “I just got a message from the president to stay strong”.

**April/May** — Federal prosecutors issue grand jury subpoenas to Flynn associates seeking “records, research, contracts, bank records, communications” relating to Flynn and Alptekin.

**May 9** — Trump fires Comey.

**May 22** — A House committee reveals that Flynn lied to Pentagon investigators about the source of money he received from RT when applying for security clearance in 2016.

Flynn announces that he will not cooperate with a subpoena requiring him to hand over documents related to his dealings with Russians.

**June 2** — Special Counsel Mueller assumes control of a grand jury investigation into Flynn.

**August** — Flynn files paperwork disclosing payments from SCL Group, a Virginia-based company related to Cambridge Analytica.

**Dec. 1** — Flynn pleads guilty to willfully and knowingly lying to the FBI about his December 2016 conversations with Kislyak.

**Dec. 4, 2018** — Mueller cites Flynn's "substantial" assistance with several criminal investigations when he recommends a sentence includes little to no jail time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That list reads like a guy that should be in jail for a very long time. He must have really cooperated in order to receive none

edit - I get that he was only charged with lying to federal prosecutors and the guidelines were 0 - 6 months. But damn, regardless of the lying, a whole lot of that #### seems so damn sketchy

Edited by the moops
  • Like 1

Maddow brought up a good point last night that I don't quite know the answer to...everyone is expendable to Trump and when they are on the out he throws them under the bus no matter who they are (Cohen, Manafort, Sessions, Bannon, etc.) except for Mike Flynn....why?  What does Mike Flynn have and what has he provided that caused the President to protect him like no other...he hired him when it was suggested that he was compromised, he delayed firing him when it was shown that he clearly lied to the VP, the country and the FBI and then once he was let go Trump did everything he could to stop the investigation including the firing of Comey which ultimately led to the special counsel.  Then after he's left Trump never says a bad word about him, even AFTER he cooperates with Mueller for a year.  Then the Flynn memo comes that shows he gave the goods by the IC's recommendation of zero jail due to the SUBSTANTIAL assistance over 19 interviews on 3 investigations and it's crickets from Trump.  

He routinely crushes Cohen who's also very dangerous but what is it about Flynn and what does he have and why won't the President criticize him at all?  It's very odd.

Edited by Banger
  • Like 2

Chris Geidner‏Verified account @chrisgeidner

JUST IN: Judge in Maria Butina's case schedules a telephone conference for 11a tomorrow, with 14-hour notice. No other information is given in the docket entry. The next scheduled conference in the case was not until Dec. 19.

6:11 PM - 5 Dec 2018

2 hours ago, Banger said:

Maddow brought up a good point last night that I don't quite know the answer to...everyone is expendable to Trump and when they are on the out he throws them under the bus no matter who they are (Cohen, Manafort, Sessions, Bannon, etc.) except for Mike Flynn....why?  What does Mike Flynn have and what has he provided that caused the President to protect him like no other...he hired him when it was suggested that he was compromised, he delayed firing him when it was shown that he clearly lied to the VP, the country and the FBI and then once he was let go Trump did everything he could to stop the investigation including the firing of Comey which ultimately led to the special counsel.  Then after he's left Trump never says a bad word about him, even AFTER he cooperates with Mueller for a year.  Then the Flynn memo comes that shows he gave the goods by the IC's recommendation of zero jail due to the SUBSTANTIAL assistance over 19 interviews on 3 investigations and it's crickets from Trump.  

He routinely crushes Cohen who's also very dangerous but what is it about Flynn and what does he have and why won't the President criticize him at all?  It's very odd.

It's almost as if Flynn and Putin (the only people in the world that Trump is unwilling to disparage) have something far greater than just quid pro quo stuff on Trump.  Pee tape perhaps?