What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (11 Viewers)

I just read as of June it has cost 17 million...but I really don`t care.  I don`t want to look at Trump or hear him anymore. if he has done anything illegal they have to know by now and he should not be the sitting POTUS
Do you know what the original investigation was tasked to do?  Maybe you should look it up.

17 million doesn't sound like much.   Didn't they seize something like $45 million in property from Manafort alone?   Sounds like the investigation is turning a pretty nice profit.   Maybe we should keep it going for a few more years.
They should keep it going until Mueller runs out of criminals.  IDK why the "law and order" party is in such a rush to shut it down.

Neal Katyal‏Verified account @neal_katyal

Michael Cohen has been sentenced to 3 years prison. Sentence is bad news for Trump. In most jurisdictions,subordinates who carry out felonies at the direction of their boss get lower criminal sentences than the boss. So if camp vio big driver of Cohen sentence, Trump > 3 years...

9:08 AM - 12 Dec 2018
- Former US Solicitor General.

Isn't the claim that she's being held in solitary for her protection rather than as punishment?

I agree that it's an excessive form of punishment and I hope the government isn't using it as such. That said, I tend to give a lot more credence to people who consistently rail against the excesses and injustices in law enforcement when they're perpetrated against the poor, minorities, etc. We talk about that kind of stuff all the time around here and I don't recall ever hearing from you in those conversations 🤔 
I don’t really buy that.  How hard can it be to get a regular cell and treat her like a human being?  I don’t see what she’s done to warrant that sort of treatment.  I see it with Manafort maybe but not her.  

I’ve posted a lot about this sort of stuff in the ‘another killing’ police thread and more recently the justice system thread.  I think it’s one of the few places where we actually agree.  

I don’t really buy that.  How hard can it be to get a regular cell and treat her like a human being?  I don’t see what she’s done to warrant that sort of treatment.  I see it with Manafort maybe but not her.  

I’ve posted a lot about this sort of stuff in the ‘another killing’ police thread and more recently the justice system thread.  I think it’s one of the few places where we actually agree.  
That’s sort of because her lawyers filed the motion without explaining anything whatsoever. Or attaching exhibits. Or citing to any law.  

I don’t like solitary.  The biggest reasonable exception is for the safety of the inmate, which is a real issue with people in conspiracy charges. And it’s worth noting that administrative segregation - while no picnic - is not exactly the same thing as traditional solitary. Primarily because of being allowed out for short periods of the day. 

Solitary is a ####ty way to treat anyone, however authorities can't just put someone in solitary. It's not Cool Hand Luke.  There is protective custody, which this appears to be, and there is bad behavior, and there is doing crimes in jail. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Even OPP doesn't have Strother Martin walkin' 'round crackin' skulls and tossing smirkers in soli.

I'll also add that there is no comparison between the criminal justice reform issue and Butina. She is not disadvantaged - her boss was a chairman for the Central Bank of Russia and a certified oligarch and part time jet set international mobster, she is represented by lawyers hired by the Russian Foreign Ministry which I assure you they are not skimping on. The only exception to this is when she pleaded the judge made sure she had a court appointed independent counsel to advise her so she was sure she wasn't getting arbitrary advice from her MFA lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an side, the OSC seemed pretty pleased with Cohen - and apparently he's agreed to continue cooperating with Bob from behind bars - but the SDNY absolutely tore him new body openings up and down their memos. So whatever it was that SDNY wanted him to cooperate on - having to do with SNY/NYC stuff - which didn't overlap with OSC stuff - was what he was not cooperating on. And he's going to do 3 years time for that, whatever it may be.

Just as an side, the OSC seemed pretty pleased with Cohen - and apparently he's agreed to continue cooperating with Bob from behind bars - but the SDNY absolutely tore him new body openings up and down their memos. So whatever it was that SDNY wanted him to cooperate on - having to do with SNY/NYC stuff - which didn't overlap with OSC stuff - was what he was not cooperating on. And he's going to do 3 years time for that, whatever it may be.
I just read he doesn't have to go to prison until March. So still 3 good months to cooperate before going in.

They absolutely do know but they have to prove it in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt and many in Trump's orbit haven't exactly cooperated which extends the length of the investigation.   If everyone involved didn't lie and turned over all their evidence this would be all wrapped up by now but that's not the case.
That's not really true.  They have to prove it in front of 435 and then 100 partisan hacks.  Good luck with that.

Former Trump attorney Michael Cohen, addressing the court at his sentencing: "I take full responsibility for each act that I pled guilty to: The personal ones to me and those involving the President of the United States of America."

:lol:

Cohen is just trolling Trump at this point
He went from being a high-profile attorney to a convicted felon looking forward to three years in prison.  The only person he trolled was himself.

The guy put his trust in Trump and then Mueller. He’s a complete moron for doing either.

Are they ever going to get to Trump before his term is up?
My POV on this has always been when they get to 1 degree of direct proof from Trump then they have gotten to Trump. I'd say they have gotten to him as of now. Not only is Cohen 1 degree from Trump so is Pecker, and it's not one but two crimes, and counting. - Obviously the GOP is craven but 1. they can argue sex is private and process crime, and 2. there's no sense in their acting (or the Dems for that matter) until all the info is in, and there's obviously a lot further to go. But as of now, they're "there", they're just not done yet.

and committing numerous crimes...From Mueller he got 2 months for lying to Congress that will be served concurrent with the SDNY charges...so he got no time essentially from Mueller.

I agree that he's a moron and criminal though...like his boss.
Yep. These are some ironic times. Saw John Kennedy (R) from LA on TV yesterday questioning the credibility of "sleazoid" Cohen. Yet the sleazoid in WH is doing a good job.

Eh, he is getting the 3 years for not cooperating with SDNY.
And considering all the crimes that he could have been charged with, he may have been looking at decades in prison. I think trusting Mueller worked out for him. Does he think that cooperation automatically means no jail time?

Yep. These are some ironic times. Saw John Kennedy (R) from LA on TV yesterday questioning the credibility of "sleazoid" Cohen. Yet the sleazoid in WH is doing a good job.
that sleazoid was Trump's personal attny for a dozen years...so who would hire a lawyer that's a criminal?  A CRIMINAL!  

oh and he was deputy finance chair of the RNC as well...

Senate reverses dark money disclosure rule.

- This actually appears to be a reform measure requiring disclosure. Yeah I'm not sure how this happened either.
Educate me on this if anyone knows... I saw news that the $30M contribution from the NRA was out of a fund that was not required to identify sources, and since this was 3 times the $12.6M contributed to the prior republican president candidate, perhaps this was related to Russian infiltration of NRA. Would this repeal make that $30M more transparent? 

Educate me on this if anyone knows... I saw news that the $30M contribution from the NRA was out of a fund that was not required to identify sources, and since this was 3 times the $12.6M contributed to the prior republican president candidate, perhaps this was related to Russian infiltration of NRA. Would this repeal make that $30M more transparent? 
not sure but I think the FBI already requested the records...so whether or not they need to be disclosed, the FBI knows who gave what....

JB Petten‏ @jb_bellet

Maria Butina’s boyfriend claimed he set up Trump-Russia NRA “conduit” as campaign funds flowed!

She's a purported Russian spy and it's publicly known she's reached a cooperation agreement.  In jail and/or prison, she'd be considered a snitch.  It'd be likely contrary to her 8th Amendment rights not to have her in PC (i.e. solitary) right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread