What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (14 Viewers)

I am amused that people who have called Mueller investigation a hoax and a witch hunt, now grab into one little nugget from the Special Counsel to try to defuse this bombshell.

I am amused that people who have called Mueller investigation a hoax and a witch hunt, now grab into one little nugget from the Special Counsel to try to defuse this bombshell.
Exactly we get a little pump the breaks from Mueller and people act as if he just said the whole article was false. 

And now I’m reading that when Cohen testifies next month (if he actually does) he won’t answer any questions regarding this issue at the request of Mueller. 

This is very frustrating. Are we ever going to find out what happened here? If Trump committed a crime let’s find out. If he didn’t commit a crime, let’s exonerate him and move on. 
Tim, isn’t that the point of the Mueller investigation?  Until that closes, this is all pointless anyway.

Tim, isn’t that the point of the Mueller investigation?  Until that closes, this is all pointless anyway.
But it's fun to speculate on, especially since the SC team is running a really tight ship.  They seem like absolute pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not entirely clear on who lied about what.  But lets take it at face value and accept that all Dems lied about paying for the Dossier.  Lets even assume that the GOP was never involved - and this was entirely paid for by the Dems.

So what?

The source of the Dossier - Christopher Steele had credibility within the FBI, such that the allegations gave rise to an investigation.  As you recall, this was a secret investigation.  Unlike the Hillary E-mail investigation - this was kept from the public for the duration of the campaign.  So, even if Steele fabricated the entire dossier - what was the downside to Trump here?

I am not aware of anything in the Dossier that has been proven false (i think there was a typo or 2, but nothing of substance).  The FBI did with the Dossier what they were supposed to do when they get credible information:  they opened an investigation to see if they could independently verify the claims.  What else do you think the FBI should have done?
I doubt it would have been kept from the public if it had turned out to be verifiably true information.  The beauty of the dossier is that by being presented to Obama/Trump by spooks, it became journalistically relevant for BuzzFeed to publish, regardless of how slanderous it was.  You can argue whether or not the dossier is true or whether it played a big part in the surveillance spree ran on the Trump campaign, but it definitely helped play up the lurid accusations against Trump going into office.  

I don't think it matters that it didn't affect the election cycle.  It certainly had a major impact on public perception, to a great extent because it was viewed as "credible intelligence" rather than Democrat-funded oppo research.  Why do you think Elias hid that for so long?  Trump's campaign should not have been surveilled on account of oppo research paid for by his political opponents.  Seems self-evident how wildly inappropriate that is.  

As far as the dossier claims, I'm thinking Cohen in Prague will be proven false, and that the dossier claims about Gubarev were straightup libel.  BuzzFeed won their lawsuit against Gubarev, not on the grounds that it wasn't libel but that they were within their right to report on actions by government officials.  

Ryan Lizza‏Verified account @RyanLizza 22m22 minutes ago

As others are pointing out, the BuzzFeed report triggered Dem members of Congress to put some pressure on Mueller to share info so for the first time Mueller was highly incentivized to go public to calm the waters

Yeah, I think the most fascinating aspect of this story is that Mueller responded at all, and only after the story had permeated Washington for a full day. 

Normally you would not expect Mueller to acknowledge any rumors about the investigation - that would be a full time job for 2-3 people. So, why now?

The angle that makes the most sense is one where stories of impeachment, without waiting for Mueller to complete his work, started cropping up by the end of the day.  It seems to me that there is a big picture that we are not seeing yet, but that going off on an impeachment tangent that is not as solid as many hope, would jeopardize the bigger picture. 

I don't read this as anything that clears Trump - of anything.  Really we are in the same spot we were before the BuzzFeed report - but with more questions.

Aaron Maté‏ @aaronjmate

Q for @a_cormier_ & @JasonLeopold: I see a (possible) discrepancy. Asked about evidence for your story, Anthony told CNN "I’ve not seen it personally." Jason told MSNBC: "We have seen documents." Did Jason misspeak, or is he referring to documents separate from this story?

We wonder if the folks over at Truthout.org are rethinking their affiliation with reporter and serial fabulist Jason Leopold. Leopold, you may recall, is the freelance reporter who was caught making stuff up in a 2002 Salon.com article, self-admittedly “getting it completely wrong” in pieces for Dow Jones, and had his own memoir cancelled because of concerns over the accuracy of quotations.

Leopold’s latest addition to his application for membership in the Stephen Glass school of journalism came on May 12 of this year, when he got what appeared to be the scoop of a lifetime. Now writing for Truthout.org, Leopold reported that Karl Rove “told President Bush and Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten, as well as a few other high level administration officials,” that he was about to be indicted in the Valerie Plame CIA leak case, “according to people knowledgeable about these discussions.”

Leopold claimed that multiple sources “confirmed Rove’s indictment is imminent. These individuals requested anonymity saying they were not authorized to speak publicly about Rove’s situation.”

Well, today we learned that special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald said he would not seek charges against Rove.

Oops. //

When Leopold’s story was first called into question a few weeks ago, Salon’s Tim Grieve reminded readers of Leopold’s checkered history with the publication. Salon removed Leopold’s August 29, 2002 story about Enron from its site after it was discovered that he plagiarized parts from the Financial Times and was unable to provide a copy of an email that was critical to the piece. Leopold’s response? A hysterical rant (linked above) which claimed that Salon’s version of events was “nothing but lies,” and that “At this point, I wonder why Salon would go to great lengths to further twist the knife into my back. I suppose the New York Times will now release their version of the events. I can see the headline now ‘Jason Leopold Must Die.’” In other words, people are out to get him, and it’s not his fault.

https://archives.cjr.org/politics/jason_leopold_caught_sourceles.php

On the Buzzfeed writer who has "seen" the "documents."  

Yeah, I think the most fascinating aspect of this story is that Mueller responded at all, and only after the story had permeated Washington for a full day. 

Normally you would not expect Mueller to acknowledge any rumors about the investigation - that would be a full time job for 2-3 people. So, why now?

The angle that makes the most sense is one where stories of impeachment, without waiting for Mueller to complete his work, started cropping up by the end of the day.  It seems to me that there is a big picture that we are not seeing yet, but that going off on an impeachment tangent that is not as solid as many hope, would jeopardize the bigger picture. 

I don't read this as anything that clears Trump - of anything.  Really we are in the same spot we were before the BuzzFeed report - but with more questions.
Any chance he normally would have corrected false reports, but they've been correct so I didn't think to correct anyone until now? I too think the Mueller reaction is the important thing here.

The story had claimed Cohen had acknowledged to Mueller’s prosecutors that the president directed him to deceive Congress about key facts linking the president to the proposed Trump Tower project in Moscow. BuzzFeed also said Mueller learned about the directive to lie from “interviews with multiple witnesses from the Trump Organization and internal company emails, text messages, and a cache of other documents.”

Mueller’s denial, according to people familiar with the matter, aims to make clear that none of those statements in the story are accurate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/2019/01/18/b9c40d34-1b85-11e9-8813-cb9dec761e73_story.html

BOOM!  LOCK HIM UP!

The story had claimed Cohen had acknowledged to Mueller’s prosecutors that the president directed him to deceive Congress about key facts linking the president to the proposed Trump Tower project in Moscow. BuzzFeed also said Mueller learned about the directive to lie from “interviews with multiple witnesses from the Trump Organization and internal company emails, text messages, and a cache of other documents.”

Mueller’s denial, according to people familiar with the matter, aims to make clear that none of those statements in the story are accurate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/2019/01/18/b9c40d34-1b85-11e9-8813-cb9dec761e73_story.html

BOOM!  LOCK HIM UP!
Yeah if buzzfeed screwed the pooch here they should clean house in the “news” department and stick to posting clickbaity stuff they stole from reddit.

I’m not hanging on this story, but interesting perspective from Ted Lieu on the Twitters.

_

As a former prosecutor, I can tell you that how a target responds to allegations is something we watch closely.

Does @realDonaldTrump deny the Buzzfeed story alleging he told Cohen to lie to Congress (a felony)? No. 

Instead, he threatens Cohen (which could also be a felony).
Sarah Saunders response: "categorically false"

What does the response, over the last 8 pages or so, to this story (now in tatters) tell you?

Something else that comes to mind - Mueller now reports to Whitaker.  Whitaker may have ordered the Special Counsel's office to specifically deny this claim (when the SC would otherwise have ignored it).

I don't suggest that Whitaker is asking Mueller to lie - only to publicly deny what they don't think they can prove, or have sufficient evidence. 

Public exonerations are a big deal to Trump, who certainly would have called Whitaker about these allegations and demanded that the OSC deny any false reports publicly.  I can see Whitaker jumping at that order. 

Yeah if buzzfeed screwed the pooch here they should clean house in the “news” department and stick to posting clickbaity stuff they stole from reddit.
The major outlets (hi CNN, MSNBC, etc), that have had this headline on blast - backed up with op eds and redundant stories and links - have their share of questions as well.

Something else that comes to mind - Mueller now reports to Whitaker.  Whitaker may have ordered the Special Counsel's office to specifically deny this claim (when the SC would otherwise have ignored it).

I don't suggest that Whitaker is asking Mueller to lie - only to publicly deny what they don't think they can prove, or have sufficient evidence. 

Public exonerations are a big deal to Trump, who certainly would have called Whitaker about these allegations and demanded that the OSC deny any false reports publicly.  I can see Whitaker jumping at that order. 
Or... the story was baseless, so they set it straight.

I know, not nearly as sexy or conspiratorial.

Sarah Saunders response: "categorically false"

What does the response, over the last 8 pages or so, to this story (now in tatters) tell you?

The major outlets (hi CNN, MSNBC, etc), that have had this headline on blast - backed up with op eds and redundant stories and links - have their share of questions as well.

Cheer up, dude.

Does not answer the question: "Why Now?"

There have been plenty of baseless stories over the last 18 months. I don't recall the OSC responding to any of them.   So there is something unique about this story that had the OSC issue the denial. 

If certain parts of the Buzz Feed story are not accurate and only a portion is true what part of the article does the base consider good news?

Nate Silver‏ @NateSilver538

It's too early to know what to make of the BuzzFeed story, but it does seem like, dating all the way back to 2016, the share of stories that aren't on as firm a footing as you'd like has been pretty high on Russia-related stories.
Like the right always running with stories against Obama from their stupid sources.. drudge, heritage foundation, hannity, etc.

It fits your side's narrative, screw the due diligence or fact checking - sounds good, RUN WITH IT!

1. I thought Mueller was some sort of partisan hack leading a witch hunt? Now he’s suddenly, automatically to be believed? (Adjust your snark meters accordingly)

More seriously...

2.  I can’t speak for anyone else but...If the Buzzfeed article is pure crap I am glad it is being exposed.  Sloppy, partisan, jump-the-gun, journalism is unacceptable regardless of the bent.  

3. Cultists please note that many of us are willing to say “well, damn...I believed this one thing and then evidence came out that refuted that one thing. Now I have changed my beliefs.”  That’s how it should be.  

I feel good for guys like Ren and Boots. It reminds me of an 0-15 team winning their last game and celebrating their lone win like it's the Super Bowl. Adorable. It's good to see their side get a win. And suddenly hang on Mueller's words in the process. 

Swing and a miss!!!  After 2025 pages and you got ####.  I get it, you don’t like Trump but get over it you lost. Do better next election. You embarrass yourselves in here. Lots of smart folks acting stupid in this thread. 
Welcome back to the thread! What’s it been, like 6 months? All of you guys were no shows and suddenly damn you’re all back tonight! 

Sinn Fein said:
Countdown until this story changes...

(I actually think this is true.  I think it is a nuanced look at what probably happened - which is that Trump approved of Cohens written testimony to Congress in advance - but did not specifically tell Cohen to lie.  Its also possible that Trump told someone else to tell Cohen to lie...)
Either of those would still be Trump directing him to lie. 

BTW, and I speak only for myself, I would love it if Mueller exonerates Trump and this story goes away. I’d like to move on from it, seriously. I don’t know if that will happen but given a choice that would be my preference. Obviously I can’t stand Trump but I would be far happier if he turns out to be innocent. 

Welcome back to the thread! What’s it been, like 6 months? All of you guys were no shows and suddenly damn you’re all back tonight! 
6 months sounds about right. You’ve wasted 6 months at least on this crap and have nothing...because.....there is nothing. We realized this 6 months ago and don’t waste our time except to come in and laugh at you all. 

Fully expecting Trump to praise Mueller tomorrow. For one day at least it be a legitimate investigation, not a witch hunt. 
I cant even imagine how many predictions like this have been made in this forum that haven't come true and those that made it never came back to admit they were wrong. Must be on the hundreds.

No idea. But you used to seem normal.  Carry on. Enjoy the Nikes and sweatsuits.
Nikes and sweatsuits? Not sure what that means.

I have seen so many posts over the years saying "trump is going to blow up tomorrow " "cant wait to see trump's meltdown tomorrow" etc. And when it doesnt happen, no one comes back to say that I guess I was wrong. Why does noticing that make me not normal? Seems like a normal observation.

1. I thought Mueller was some sort of partisan hack leading a witch hunt? Now he’s suddenly, automatically to be believed? (Adjust your snark meters accordingly)
It's because Mueller's come across partisan in that direction to some- though I grant not all- that it means something when he cuts against the narrative.  Like if Michael Isikoff, author of Russian Roulette, starts hedging some of his statements around collusion.  Or if Greenwald published a 🚨 BOMBSHELL 🚨TRUMP COLLUSION report, it'd be significant because he's personally invested in a narrative that runs almost diametrically counter to that.  

Users who are viewing this thread