What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

Interesting tweet.

Guice saved some woman's  life.

---------------------------------------------------

5⃣‏Verified account @DhaSickest

FollowFollow @DhaSickest

God keeps blessing me.. I just saved a woman’s life.

11:56 AM - 23 Mar 2018

--------------------------------------------------

5⃣‏Verified account @DhaSickest 57m57 minutes ago

Pulled up to a light in south Baton Rouge where a wrecked occurred right as I pulled up..

------------------------------------------------

@DhaSickest 48m48 minutes ago

She’s okay and she’s not hurt! Thank the lord

The Ravens are hosting LSU RB Derrius Guice on a visit Thursday.

The fit makes a ton of sense. Alex Collins outperformed expectations in 2017, but it is clear the Ravens are heading into the draft wanting to upgrade at running back. Guice is a top 10 talent in the eyes of Josh Norris and runs with power. He's been showcasing his pass catching ability during the draft process. He is in play for the No. 16 pick.

Source: Billy Marshall on Twitter 

Mar 29 - 10:44 AM

Interesting tweet.

Guice saved some woman's  life.

---------------------------------------------------

5⃣‏Verified account @DhaSickest

FollowFollow @DhaSickest

God keeps blessing me.. I just saved a woman’s life.

11:56 AM - 23 Mar 2018

--------------------------------------------------

5⃣‏Verified account @DhaSickest 57m57 minutes ago

Pulled up to a light in south Baton Rouge where a wrecked occurred right as I pulled up..

------------------------------------------------

@DhaSickest 48m48 minutes ago

She’s okay and she’s not hurt! Thank the lord
But.... was he attracted to her?

FanRag Sports' Jon Ledyard reports that the Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers will both have sit-down dinners with LSU RB Derrius Guice in advance of his pro day on April 4.

Per Ledyard, the Steelers already had a formal combine interview with Guice. They'll be digging in further on the 5-foot-10, 224-pounder in a few days. Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert and HC Mike Tomlin will both be on hand for dinner with the LSU back. In terms of his Redskins dinner, he'll be wining and dining with team president Bruce Allen. The Buccaneers and Ravens have also shown interest in Guice during the evaluating process. While we don't view him as a top-10 pick, he's in play to potentially come off the board within the first 15 selections. In his most recent mock draft, for instance, Rotoworld's Josh Norris pegs Guice to those aforementioned Redskins at No. 13. You can consider that around his likely draft ceiling. We also would not be stunned if he clicked in closer to the end of Day 1.

Source: Jon Ledyard on Twitter 

Mar 29 - 12:54 PM

I like the visits with the Raven and Washington. The visit with Pitt is just a ploy to motivate Bell. ;)

Tex
Guice(or any RB) shouldn't even be on the Ravens draft board. RB is probably the strongest position they have of offense. 

Redskins make some sense, though I can't see him at #13. Maybe a trade down?

Guice(or any RB) shouldn't even be on the Ravens draft board. RB is probably the strongest position they have of offense. 

Redskins make some sense, though I can't see him at #13. Maybe a trade down?
All depends on what they think of Collins...if they are not sold on him there is nothing else special there...Dixon is an unknown with luggage and Allen is a solid vet but he's a back-up...if there is a reason they don't like Collins (and I am not saying they do) than I think a quality RB could/should be on their radar...this team badly needs playmakers and whether it is RB, WR or TE they need help at the skill positions...

Weird take by that guy. You don't spend a 1st on a running back just to sit him for a year (PIT). And the Jets can't draft him (after #3, next pick is like ~72, I believe). Seahawks pick 18th and then... 120th. Don't see that happening, either.
The Steelers have already franchised Bell, so they have no incentive to play games. (Right?)  Yet they're still openly courting Guice - and really have through the entire process.  At the very least, there's a lot of smoke there.  

Seattle could absolutely pull the trigger on Guice at 18.  

I agree that the Jets make no sense, given their lack of ammo. 

The Steelers have already franchised Bell, so they have no incentive to play games. (Right?)  Yet they're still openly courting Guice - and really have through the entire process.  At the very least, there's a lot of smoke there.  

Seattle could absolutely pull the trigger on Guice at 18.  

I agree that the Jets make no sense, given their lack of ammo. 
Would be a weird move for Pit, IMO. That would be a lot of money tied up at RB. And I think they spent a 3rd on a backup last year.

18 seems a little rich for Guice. Maybe they could trade back. But still, Seattle has a lot of needs (and not many picks) and they sure seemed to like Chris Carson, who was looking decent before injury.

Weird take by that guy. You don't spend a 1st on a running back just to sit him for a year (PIT). And the Jets can't draft him (after #3, next pick is like ~72, I believe). Seahawks pick 18th and then... 120th. Don't see that happening, either.
Plenty of snaps in PIT to use Guice as a part-time banger while he learns to pass block and Bell more in the slot ala Duke Johnson.  150 carries + 250 carries can easily be done.

Would be a weird move for Pit, IMO. That would be a lot of money tied up at RB. And I think they spent a 3rd on a backup last year.

18 seems a little rich for Guice. Maybe they could trade back. But still, Seattle has a lot of needs (and not many picks) and they sure seemed to like Chris Carson, who was looking decent before injury.
A lot of people think Guice is a top 15 player in this draft.  There seems to be a wide range of opinions.  I've seen him go #13 in multiple mocks, and I've seen him go in the 50s.  I've seen him ranked as a top 15 player, and I've seen him ranked as the 5th best back in the class.  I agree that top 15 is high, in that I wouldn't want my favorite team to draft him that high.  But it certainly feels like a real possibility.  

Seattle might have liked what they saw from a healthy Carson, but they can't count on him.  The injury was significant and the sample size was tiny.  

Plenty of snaps in PIT to use Guice as a part-time banger while he learns to pass block and Bell more in the slot ala Duke Johnson.  150 carries + 250 carries can easily be done.
:no:  When was the last time a team had 400 carries between two RBs? It's certainly feasible, but not easily done. As someone who owns Guice in a couple redrafts already, PIT as landing spot would be awful. 

Bell has not signed the tender so they could rescind it at any time before he does.

Bell has not signed the tender so they could rescind it at any time before he does.
This was my question. Can the Steelers rescind without any repercussions from the NFLPA given that by franchising Bell through the start of free agency, they have massively damaged his ability to be paid what he is worth?

If they can get away with he above without any punishment, the sleeze ball move would be sitting Bell and his agent down just before the draft and saying “here is our offer, sign it or we will rescind and draft your replacement”. I can’t imagine they can do that without getting in trouble though.

This was my question. Can the Steelers rescind without any repercussions from the NFLPA given that by franchising Bell through the start of free agency, they have massively damaged his ability to be paid what he is worth?

If they can get away with he above without any punishment, the sleeze ball move would be sitting Bell and his agent down just before the draft and saying “here is our offer, sign it or we will rescind and draft your replacement”. I can’t imagine they can do that without getting in trouble though.
He could sign it at any time to protect himself from that happening.

Josh Norman had his tag rescinded a few days before the draft two years ago. Carolina then spent their 2nd round pick on a corner to replace him. 

If they rescind the tag though, Bell becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. One potential big difference is that the salary cap has gone up considerably since then, there is a lot more cap space out there than 2 years ago. I don't think having already signed guys like McKinnon or Hyde would keep SF or Cle from going after Bell if he suddenly became available.

Why would Bell's choice to not sign cause repercussions to the team that has tendered the offer?

He can sign it anytime he wants until it is rescinded.

That is true I guess. If that is the only defense he has against them just resending the tag, then I understand why guys like Beckham are holding out. Being a headache seems to be the only way you get any power back when you play a devalued position.

Back on Guice, I hate all of the above spots listed. Seahawks are a train wreck minus Wilson, Ravens could be ok but are not exciting, ditto for the Skins. Steelers there are too many questions. I selfishly, as a 1.02 and future Guice owner, want the Colts to trade back and get him or for him to fall to them in the 2nd. Also a garbage offensive line but Andrew Luck showed back with Ahmad Bradshaw that he makes his rb relevant in the passing game even if the o-line sucks

But then he'd have to show up to training camp.

That said, I think it's an incredibly low possibility that they rescind the tag. The Guice talk is just posturing to get Bell to sign. (Plus, he'll be gone by 28 and we almost never trade up.)

That is true I guess. If that is the only defense he has against them just resending the tag, then I understand why guys like Beckham are holding out. Being a headache seems to be the only way you get any power back when you play a devalued position.

Back on Guice, I hate all of the above spots listed. Seahawks are a train wreck minus Wilson, Ravens could be ok but are not exciting, ditto for the Skins. Steelers there are too many questions. I selfishly, as a 1.02 and future Guice owner, want the Colts to trade back and get him or for him to fall to them in the 2nd. Also a garbage offensive line but Andrew Luck showed back with Ahmad Bradshaw that he makes his rb relevant in the passing game even if the o-line sucks
The Colts OL isn't garbage on the left side and at center.

The Colts OL isn't garbage on the left side and at center.
This true but I wouldn’t want to ride in a boat with 2 gaping holes in it. You can’t run left every play and talent alone can’t overcome getting hit 5 yards in the backfield. That said, still my highest hope for a landing spot and the line is better than other places like, say, NYG

FanRag Sports' Jon Ledyard reports RB Derrius Guice met with the New York Giants and Seattle Seahawks after his pro day.

Guice (5'10/224) would be a great fit for both the Seahawks and Giants as they are two of the most running back needy teams in the NFL. The Giants have shown interest in potentially taking a running back with their first-round pick at No. 2 overall (Saquon Barkley) but are likely doing their due diligence in the scenario they trade down or Guice somehow falls out of the first round. The Seahawks hold the No. 18 pick in the first round and are within striking distance of where Guice is expected to be drafted. In either instance, Guice would immediately become a workhorse running back and likely exceed 250 touches in his rookie year.

Derrius Guice - RB - Tigers

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline referred to LSU RB Derrius Guice's Wednesday pro day as "uneven."

"I’m told Guice did nothing to move the needle in his favor today and documented off the field issues are weighing heavily on his draft grade," Pauline writes, adding that there are teams that "do not hold a positive view of Guice." The analyst notes that some squads view the 5-foot-10, 224-pounder as a "loose cannon." The notion of "off-field issues" is a late-surfacing one in public, with The Scouting Academy's Dan Hatman relaying in late March that "it sounds like off-field will be more of an issue for Guice than I originally thought." The story now takes a turn for the odd -- Guice was never arrested nor suspended during his time at LSU -- with the back saying, "When people tell me that stuff, I only assume they’re talking about video games because I have zero off-the-field issues." Video games would not seem to be enough to add up to "loose cannon," even as conservative as the NFL may be.

:bs:

LSU RB Derrius Guice will visit the Patriots on Sunday.

Guice ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds and recorded a 31.5-inch vertical jump at the combine. He also averaged 6.5 YPC in his time at LSU despite splitting reps with Leonard Fournette for 2-of-3 seasons. The Patriots own three of the top 45 picks in this year's draft and could draft Guice to shore up the loss of Dion Lewis in free agency. He would join a crowded backfield that includes Rex Burkhead, James White, Mike Gillislee, Brandon Bolden, and newly signed Jeremy Hill.

Related: Patriots

Apr 8 - 2:14 PM

NE loves experienced retread RBs....I would be surprised if they took an RB in rounds 1 or 2.
 As would I but the patriots are in a very interesting position this year. They can afford to let the draft come to them with their two first round picks in two second round picks. If they get to their first pick and Lamar Jackson is still there, I could see them taking a flyer and Guice with the second pick. Bottom line,  any team taking Guice in the first round is committing to a strong run game. The patriots would be no exception, but it would be a shifting of their offense of philosophy. I could see them doing it in anticipation of Tom Brady eventually retiring 

Derrius Guice - RB - Tigers

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline referred to LSU RB Derrius Guice's Wednesday pro day as "uneven."

"I’m told Guice did nothing to move the needle in his favor today and documented off the field issues are weighing heavily on his draft grade," Pauline writes, adding that there are teams that "do not hold a positive view of Guice." The analyst notes that some squads view the 5-foot-10, 224-pounder as a "loose cannon." The notion of "off-field issues" is a late-surfacing one in public, with The Scouting Academy's Dan Hatman relaying in late March that "it sounds like off-field will be more of an issue for Guice than I originally thought." The story now takes a turn for the odd -- Guice was never arrested nor suspended during his time at LSU -- with the back saying, "When people tell me that stuff, I only assume they’re talking about video games because I have zero off-the-field issues." Video games would not seem to be enough to add up to "loose cannon," even as conservative as the NFL may be.

:bs:
Agreed, airing out the Combine questions stuff and then the twitter stuff about saving the woman's life in the car accident does seem sort of "diva-esque" but hardly seems like "off the field issues" or a "loose cannon."

Endorse.  Given their history and success, I'd be shocked to see them invest that high of a pick on a RB.
You're probably right plus they signed JEREMY HILL!!!!11!!! 

but maybe as Tom gets older a workhorse makes sense?

Derrius Guice is taking an official predraft visit to the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday.

Jon Ledyard passed along this planned visit last week. The Eagles have shown tremendous interest in Guice during the evaluating season -- not only are they currently hosting him for the official visit, they also worked him out privately this past Friday. If Philly is truly intent on drafting the LSU standout, it's going to be touch-and-go without a trade. We've seen Guice floated as a potential mid-first-round selection in mock drafts and the like.

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter 

Apr 17 - 2:08 PM

An anonymous LSU coach said that due to various nagging injuries in 2017, RB Derrius Guice "wasn't even back up to his top speed until the bowl game."

"(In the pros) [Guice] will be the same player he was in 2016. If you had a grade on him after last year, you should use that," the scout explained. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares the 5-foot-10, 224-pounder to Marshawn Lynch and writes that Guice's physical brand of ball "could lead to a shorter career" before adding that "he has a chance to make a big splash early." Guice has visited the Redskins and Eagles over the past few days as he angles for a potential first-round selection.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 17 - 7:08 PM

An anonymous LSU coach said that due to various nagging injuries in 2017, RB Derrius Guice "wasn't even back up to his top speed until the bowl game."

"(In the pros) [Guice] will be the same player he was in 2016. If you had a grade on him after last year, you should use that," the scout explained. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares the 5-foot-10, 224-pounder to Marshawn Lynch and writes that Guice's physical brand of ball "could lead to a shorter career" before adding that "he has a chance to make a big splash early." Guice has visited the Redskins and Eagles over the past few days as he angles for a potential first-round selection.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 17 - 7:08 PM
A shorter career, like Lynch, who's about to enter his 11th season?

A shorter career, like Lynch, who's about to enter his 11th season?
Exactly.

The pre-draft process gets a bit ridiculous the closer we get to the draft. Players rising and falling on draft boards because of contradictory analysis. Player x ran poorly at the combine, he ran a 4.5 40. Player y ran well at the combine! He ran a 4.5 40 (Same size player, same position). 

*My comment is at the article not the Faust.

I don’t think NFL care at all about the maturity level of an RB. Zeke, Bell, Shady and more that you could question their maturity.
It's a little different though because this guy, allegedly, slandered NFL execs. In a deep class like this, he should keep his stupid mouth shut.  

It's a little different though because this guy, allegedly, slandered NFL execs. In a deep class like this, he should keep his stupid mouth shut.  
The only thing that I’ve read is that asked him strange questions. 

Saying “he should keep his stupid mouth shut” is a terrible take. If he is being asked strange or unacceptable things then he should speak up. The “keep stupid your mouth shut” attitude is part of the reason that lead to Penn St. Obviously, I’m not saying that anything here is in even the same universe as Penn St. but the NFL shouldn’t be allowed to do things that any other business isn’t allowed to do and they should be spotlighted if they do. And to punish/don’t players who speak up against it is even worse. 

If you read the article you’ll see that he’s had to roll back what he said because of all the noise that it’s going to hurt his draft stock.

Typical NFL. Do something complete ludicrous (asking a player about their sexuality at the combine after years of asking about moms being prositutes and other egregious questions) then defend the perpetrator through slander of the whistleblower. These teams, their ownership and the league office are outrageous. 

An NFL scout told Bob McGinn Football that LSU RB Derrius Guice runs in a similar style to Oakland Raiders RB Marshawn Lynch.

"He isn’t quite as thick as Marshawn but he’s a very similar guy," the scout said. "He’s low to the ground and runs angry. He runs like a guy that’s 240, but when he sticks his foot in the ground he can spin and get out of stuff. People will worry about his injuries because he initiates a lot of contact." Guice has off-field concerns -- which McGinn notes -- but his toughness as a runner and ability to make plays in the passing game should see him go in the first 45 picks -- maybe even the back of the first if a team is convinced he can be an immediate contributor.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 23 - 9:53 PM

Users who are viewing this thread