What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I won't be dropping him in dynasty. It looks bad and it's probably over, but stranger things have happened than him getting another shot in a year or so and excelling at 24. 

It should make @JohnnyU happy if we're in any leagues together 😂

Guice was arrested on three charges of assault and battery, one count of destruction of property and a felony count of strangulation. If Guice is convicted on the felony, he faces up to 5 years in prison.

I will be cutting him from the one dynasty league where I have him on a roster.

New details emerge about Derrius Guice's domestic violence arrest
Guice, 23, allegedly strangled his girlfriend until she was unconscious. When she woke up, Guice was crying and tapping the woman, according to the Washington Post. 

I don't understand how guys can hit girls. I've been pretty angry before, but man, I just couldn't do it. And you would think these high-profile guys would be so afraid of the social stigma that comes with it that they would be extra cautious.
Jealousy, anger, revenge, and rejection get people into trouble because they can't control their emotions.   Throw in bad character to boot.....and you have a toxic situation.

USA Today reports free agent RB Derrius Guice was accused of rape twice as a college freshman in 2016. 

The paper reports LSU was informed of the allegations, but that "the school does not appear to have investigated." Thanks in part to USA Today, it appears the Washington Football Team found out earlier this month before Guice was charged with domestic violence and subsequently released. The team was conducting its own investigation, one that likely would have resulted in Guice's release even without the new allegations. 23-year-old Guice will never play NFL football again. 

what a piece of ....  work

USA Today reports free agent RB Derrius Guice was accused of rape twice as a college freshman in 2016. 

The paper reports LSU was informed of the allegations, but that "the school does not appear to have investigated." Thanks in part to USA Today, it appears the Washington Football Team found out earlier this month before Guice was charged with domestic violence and subsequently released. The team was conducting its own investigation, one that likely would have resulted in Guice's release even without the new allegations. 23-year-old Guice will never play NFL football again. 

what a piece of ....  work
So how does someone at LSU not get arrested for something like that? Is covering up crimes so a college football player can play legal? Reason number 38420 why the NCAA should be disbanded. 

There are plenty of reasons to dislike the NCAA, but I don't see how the NCAA had anything at all to do with this.  It was reported to LSU and they did nothing.

So how does someone at LSU not get arrested for something like that? Is covering up crimes so a college football player can play legal? Reason number 38420 why the NCAA should be disbanded. 
I mean, isn't it the police's job to investigate? If the police don't seem to think the accusation warrants an arrest, why should the school be held responsible?

I mean, isn't it the police's job to investigate? If the police don't seem to think the accusation warrants an arrest, why should the school be held responsible?
Taken from this article:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/ex-lsu-students-say-derrius-guice-raped-them-in-2016/

"The ex-tennis player said she reported the alleged rape to the school’s Title IX office, but claims it wasn’t investigated and she had not received a copy of the report from LSU that she requested as recently as last week."

"Neither of the women reported the alleged attacks to law enforcement officials, as campus and local police have no record of them, according to the report."

Sounds like it never went to the police.

The fact that people even question if this guy has a future in the NFL says a lot about the NFL. 
I think it says a lot about the people too. Not accusing anyone here of anything but in general people seem more concerned with these guys careers then what they did ALA Mike Vick Dog fighting case, Ray Rice knocking out his wife and Kareem Hunt beating down a women. 

DJackson10 said:
Too Bad Vick and Ray Lewis aren't playing. Any chance you could trade for Jamis Winston and Kareem Hunt? Your team could be named The Longest Yard
Had Hunt but traded him away in a package with Chubb for CMC. I shoulda kept him! 

DJackson10 said:
I think it says a lot about the people too. Not accusing anyone here of anything but in general people seem more concerned with these guys careers then what they did ALA Mike Vick Dog fighting case, Ray Rice knocking out his wife and Kareem Hunt beating down a women. 
I play fantasy football, not fantasy crime. 

I don’t give two ####s what kind of a person a player is off the gridiron, the only thing that matters is how many points they will potentially put up on Sundays vs the opportunity cost of acquiring them. 

If some dude is a complete scumbag and half the owners in my league refuse to roster him, that just makes it cheaper for me. 

I don’t give two ####s what kind of a person a player is off the gridiron, the only thing that matters is how many points they will potentially put up on Sundays vs the opportunity cost of acquiring them. 

If some dude is a complete scumbag and half the owners in my league refuse to roster him, that just makes it cheaper for me. 
This right here ^^^^.

I remember when everyone avoided Vick (not that he was some massive prize after his return), another guy in my league said "I will never draft Joe Mixon".......... and yet another said "I don't think what Adrian Peterson did is right, so I won't roster him either".

I correlate it to a chessboard.  In a sense, you have to use all pieces at your disposal. I won't toss one off my chessboard because I don't like a piece for whatever reason. (If YOU want too, then GREAT~!, just don't ##### about ME using that piece) 

And the last point about him being cheaper to acquire is spot on too. I hope everyone avoids any big ticket player, let me get them all.  It is a game.  One I play to win, and I will use every tool at my disposal to do so, thats well within the rules.

Now, that said...... I DO NOT BLAME ANYONE FOR THEIR PERSONAL BELIEFS, AND CHOICES ON HOW TO RUN THEIR OWN FANTASY TEAM. IF THEY DON'T WANT TO INCLUDE A PLAYER, THATS FINE.

But, if you don't roster a player because of your beliefs, then DO NOT pass judgement on ME as an owner trying to field the best team that I can and MY BELIEFS.

It really is that simple.

Many of these people that hate on certain players, generally do from the sensationalism in the media and the actions said player took. (and often these things are certainly bad, I get it)

The fact is, there are a boatload of things many of the other players do, that never fully reach the press. Plenty of "bad players" that get their charges dropped, things swept under the rug etc. etc. etc.

If you really feel like you, (and others) shouldn't roster a player for these reasons, perhaps you should look into additional church time on Sundays and stop playing fantasy.   😇

TZM

I don't take them no matter what. If I have to worry about if a player is gonna be available because he wants to act like a jack@$S when he's not on the field why am I rostering that player? I did just fine and won my league three times. I mean it helped I had Prime Rodgers, Jorday Nelson, Gronk, Marshawn Lynch and drafted well. 

This right here ^^^^.

I remember when everyone avoided Vick (not that he was some massive prize after his return), another guy in my league said "I will never draft Joe Mixon".......... and yet another said "I don't think what Adrian Peterson did is right, so I won't roster him either".

I correlate it to a chessboard.  In a sense, you have to use all pieces at your disposal. I won't toss one off my chessboard because I don't like a piece for whatever reason. (If YOU want too, then GREAT~!, just don't ##### about ME using that piece) 

And the last point about him being cheaper to acquire is spot on too. I hope everyone avoids any big ticket player, let me get them all.  It is a game.  One I play to win, and I will use every tool at my disposal to do so, thats well within the rules.

Now, that said...... I DO NOT BLAME ANYONE FOR THEIR PERSONAL BELIEFS, AND CHOICES ON HOW TO RUN THEIR OWN FANTASY TEAM. IF THEY DON'T WANT TO INCLUDE A PLAYER, THATS FINE.

But, if you don't roster a player because of your beliefs, then DO NOT pass judgement on ME as an owner trying to field the best team that I can and MY BELIEFS.

Many of these people that hate on certain players, generally do from the sensationalism in the media and the actions said player took. (and often these things are certainly bad, I get it)

The fact is, there are a boatload of things many of the other players do, that never fully reach the press. Plenty of "bad players" that get their charges dropped, things swept under the rug etc. etc. etc.

If you really feel like you, (and others) shouldn't roster a player for these reasons, perhaps you should look into additional church time on Sundays and stop playing fantasy.   😇

TZM
I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take this as offensive but I'm a non believer because I just think religion is a brainwashing mechanism to prey on the weak and has been the general cause of many inhumane wars over the years in many cultures. I just use Morales and what I was taught right or wrong. I'm also the type of person if I was coach or GM I would roster such players because all that tells me about that player is they only care for themselves. I want guys who will think before they do something that puts their team at risk and myself from winning titles and making money. These sports to me are a privilege for them to play not a right. If some player can't grasp that maybe they'd like to be spending more time in jail and screwing their lives up. I just think a lot of fans are enablers and then like to blame others when the players mess up. 

This right here ^^^^.

TZM
My initial point was the good guys of the game always seem to get more hate yet a guy like Johnny Manziel was loved so much. Ray Rice was still wanted by people despite him on a decline. I got zero complaints about Josh Gordon as I think Weed should be decriminalized and all. Kareem Hunt? I got no idea why anyone would want a guy who beats up a women on their team. I think a lot of fans are also fakes because I know if that was their daughter they'd be singing a different tune how they want to sue the league, try to make sure said guy never played again etc. To me it's more of a hypocrisy.

Either way I don't want to derail this thread too much into something else. I was just pointing out how I find it interesting how fans care more about the player then the victims in these situations when I know if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be singing a different tune. I know because I have a coworker who's daughter dated a football player in college. Dad was always defending the players and was a BIG Allen Iverson fan and I always asked him how you could be a fan of such a scumbag who beat his wife among other things (I work retail and have had managers who worked at the store many Philly athletes went too) especially considering what our one boss use to say about the guy. Defended Ray Rice was more concerned about losing $100s on his fantasy team if Rice couldn't play.  Long story short I get a text from him one night late "I'm gonna kill this MFer and the cops better hop they find him before I do!!!" I texted him What are you talking about who? Mentions his daughters BF. Ok What did he do. Long story short they got in a fight after she caught him cheating on her. Dude went ballistic put her in ICU. Football program was trying to cover the whole thing up but thankfully her neighbors saw what happened and called the cops. Luckily dude was kicked off the team and went to jail etc etc.

Kareem Hunt incident comes along. So I'm thinking "Here we go again he's gonna complain about if Hunt doesn't play he's losing money." He comes up to me and says "I hope Hunt breaks his neck the next time he plays football. These clowns are such scumbags thinking they can do whatever they want. I say Dave what's with the complete 180 on tone here? He says I was right about these guys. Going through something similar with his daughter he said made him feel like a jerk and Jack wagon for defending these players and only caring about his money. Last thing he says is these players don't realize how good they have it and then do dumb sh** like this and ruin their reputations? The fact these leagues still takes them shows what hypocrites on the foundations they say they support are. I found out from him he had a victim of another incident at the school reach out to him and his daughter. She wasn't so lucky. School covered it up, not many witnesses and those who were there were more concerned about the Basketball team performing well then one of their own players not understanding NO MEANS NO. She had to transfer because of everyone skank shaming her similar to how many at FSU including Danny Kannel and others did to the Girls in the Jamis Winston case. So from experience I'm just saying how hypocritical some people are here because if it was their daughter it's a different tune then. 

I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take this as offensive but I'm a non believer because I just think religion is a brainwashing mechanism to prey on the weak and has been the general cause of many inhumane wars over the years in many cultures. I just use Morales and what I was taught right or wrong. I'm also the type of person if I was coach or GM I would roster such players because all that tells me about that player is they only care for themselves. I want guys who will think before they do something that puts their team at risk and myself from winning titles and making money. These sports to me are a privilege for them to play not a right. If some player can't grasp that maybe they'd like to be spending more time in jail and screwing their lives up. I just think a lot of fans are enablers and then like to blame others when the players mess up. 

Its OK, I know your point, and we line up on this moreso than you might think.

Religion is a whole OTHER topic, and I don't even want to get into that, as it really wasn't the thrust my of response. (I was kind of being snarky to the people about going to church, which coincidentally....... I DO NOT ATTEND.  )

I also agree that many of us here can rationalize, and might be possibly a better judge of character on some of these guys running these teams.  Each year, I get the feeling that more and more of these guys running these teams basically just say "#### it, play when I say play, do what I say do, and try and behave", but yet they don't seem to want to hold anyone responsible.  Lets face it, the league is full of guys who aren't of the highest character. (And, it goes on in ALL major sports.... basketball, baseball...Golf etc. etc. But some of those sports do a better job covering up the "bad publicity" than others, and golf is a good example.

You then went on to say "I just think a lot of fans are enablers", and thats definitely the case.

The problem in todays world, is everyone wants to continuously give "forgiveness"   (Hey- don't be so harsh on this guy, he is a kid, hes trying to fix himself,  blah blah blah) and no one wants to take on board ALL the responsibilities and consequences of their actions and words. Plus, in todays world our "sports heroes" are put up on a pedestal, and no one wants to believe their guy should be punished, unless its truly something heinous.

That kind of goes hand in hand with people "liking" players like Ray Rice, and seemingly always wanting them to get another chance.

That kind of starts another discussion, and I'll stay closer to the topic at hand.

I don't know much about Guice nor what he supposedly did.  But if the league, and the public both took harsher stances on players and held them accountable for what they do (instead of coddling them), sooner or later the league would clean itself up through attrition.  I just don't think its going to happen any time soon in todays world.

TZM

I mean there’s obv huge suspension/outright ban risk involved in cases like this and if you don’t want to pay the price, or are more apt to sell around fair market value because you don’t wanna root for a guy (as I am) that makes sense.

The moralizing about whether it’s wrong to pick up a dollar you found on the ground when these guys are free or cost way below their potential production is meh to me. Like it’s a legit way to decide you wanna run your own team but it’s a pretty low value add discussion for an extended forum debate (not a shot at anyone in particular). People want to know what the chances of him playing and being fantasy relevant again are, not compile mental lists of which posters are or aren’t willing to roster a guy (with exception of their leaguemates, perhaps).

In Guice’s case with the injuries and underperformance before the charges, I don’t particularly think teams are likely to see the juice as being worth the squeeze here. Kareem Hunt was different, because Kareem Hunt was a very good NFL player. I picked him up for free in FA at the end of last season and sold for a fourth rounder as soon as it looked like the charges might get dropped. I think even if he does get a shot it’s gonna be at least a year and I’m not interested in tying up the roster spot that long.

Its OK, I know your point, and we line up on this moreso than you might think.

Religion is a whole OTHER topic, and I don't even want to get into that, as it really wasn't the thrust my of response. (I was kind of being snarky to the people about going to church, which coincidentally....... I DO NOT ATTEND.  )

I also agree that many of us here can rationalize, and might be possibly a better judge of character on some of these guys running these teams.  Each year, I get the feeling that more and more of these guys running these teams basically just say "#### it, play when I say play, do what I say do, and try and behave", but yet they don't seem to want to hold anyone responsible.  Lets face it, the league is full of guys who aren't of the highest character. (And, it goes on in ALL major sports.... basketball, baseball...Golf etc. etc. But some of those sports do a better job covering up the "bad publicity" than others, and golf is a good example.

You then went on to say "I just think a lot of fans are enablers", and thats definitely the case.

The problem in todays world, is everyone wants to continuously give "forgiveness"   (Hey- don't be so harsh on this guy, he is a kid, hes trying to fix himself,  blah blah blah) and no one wants to take on board ALL the responsibilities and consequences of their actions and words. Plus, in todays world our "sports heroes" are put up on a pedestal, and no one wants to believe their guy should be punished, unless its truly something heinous.

That kind of goes hand in hand with people "liking" players like Ray Rice, and seemingly always wanting them to get another chance.

That kind of starts another discussion, and I'll stay closer to the topic at hand.

I don't know much about Guice nor what he supposedly did.  But if the league, and the public both took harsher stances on players and held them accountable for what they do (instead of coddling them), sooner or later the league would clean itself up through attrition.  I just don't think its going to happen any time soon in todays world.

TZM
Guice situation I know the Eagles interviewed him or tried too and he either interviewed poorly or never showed up. Whatever it was he got taken completely off their board and I heard murmurs of other teams taking him off their boards. So whatever they found it must've been really bad. 

I think the major issue here though is accountability and fans love to spout that "He's just a kid BS". I heard people use it with Joel Embiid and others. OK if he wants to act like a college kid still then maybe he should've stayed in college NF and pro sports looks fun but they are a business. You represent a brand that is huge in the states and sometimes world wide. I see soccer players acting more professional across the world at those ages then these guys but I think thats because they are taught how to behave more so in the corporate world as they are exposed to it at a younger age with Academys and all. I consider a kid anyone 18-21. Once you hit 21 and playing pro sports it's time for little Johnny to grow up, take responsibility and accountability for himself. He doesn't need Sara Lee and Billy Bob going on social media making excuses and defending him. By doing that it just enables and encourages the behavior. Sports leagues see fans don't care if they act up so they'll start letting it slide. 

So my point was I think it's disgusting when people are more concerned with if Kareem Hunt is available then concerned about the girl he beat up and how the league should punish him, because I know from experience with someone if that was their daughter they aren't caring about Hunts availability as much as they are hoping the Cops don't get to him first. Like I said in the Tebow thread though it amazes me how much hate a guy like Tebow a stand up class citizen gets but then you got people who will root for the Mike Vick's Kareem Hunt's etc of the NFL and other sports. 

My initial point was the good guys of the game always seem to get more hate yet a guy like Johnny Manziel was loved so much. Ray Rice was still wanted by people despite him on a decline. I got zero complaints about Josh Gordon as I think Weed should be decriminalized and all. Kareem Hunt? I got no idea why anyone would want a guy who beats up a women on their team. I think a lot of fans are also fakes because I know if that was their daughter they'd be singing a different tune how they want to sue the league, try to make sure said guy never played again etc. To me it's more of a hypocrisy.

Either way I don't want to derail this thread too much into something else. I was just pointing out how I find it interesting how fans care more about the player then the victims in these situations when I know if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be singing a different tune. I know because I have a coworker who's daughter dated a football player in college. Dad was always defending the players and was a BIG Allen Iverson fan and I always asked him how you could be a fan of such a scumbag who beat his wife among other things (I work retail and have had managers who worked at the store many Philly athletes went too) especially considering what our one boss use to say about the guy. Defended Ray Rice was more concerned about losing $100s on his fantasy team if Rice couldn't play.  Long story short I get a text from him one night late "I'm gonna kill this MFer and the cops better hop they find him before I do!!!" I texted him What are you talking about who? Mentions his daughters BF. Ok What did he do. Long story short they got in a fight after she caught him cheating on her. Dude went ballistic put her in ICU. Football program was trying to cover the whole thing up but thankfully her neighbors saw what happened and called the cops. Luckily dude was kicked off the team and went to jail etc etc.

Kareem Hunt incident comes along. So I'm thinking "Here we go again he's gonna complain about if Hunt doesn't play he's losing money." He comes up to me and says "I hope Hunt breaks his neck the next time he plays football. These clowns are such scumbags thinking they can do whatever they want. I say Dave what's with the complete 180 on tone here? He says I was right about these guys. Going through something similar with his daughter he said made him feel like a jerk and Jack wagon for defending these players and only caring about his money. Last thing he says is these players don't realize how good they have it and then do dumb sh** like this and ruin their reputations? The fact these leagues still takes them shows what hypocrites on the foundations they say they support are. I found out from him he had a victim of another incident at the school reach out to him and his daughter. She wasn't so lucky. School covered it up, not many witnesses and those who were there were more concerned about the Basketball team performing well then one of their own players not understanding NO MEANS NO. She had to transfer because of everyone skank shaming her similar to how many at FSU including Danny Kannel and others did to the Girls in the Jamis Winston case. So from experience I'm just saying how hypocritical some people are here because if it was their daughter it's a different tune then. 
Johnny Manziel was loved?

I have no trouble delineating between what I think of players as people and what I think of them as fantasy assets. I'm not shopping for jerseys, I'm shopping for stats. If I avoid a player with character issues it's because I'm choosing to avoid the football risk associated with that character issue.

RB Derrius Guice settled out of court with the woman who accused him of domestic violence. 

A Virginia judge subsquently dismissed the charges against Guice, who was released by Washington last August after being charged with three counts of assault and battery, destruction of property, and one count of strangulation. Guice, 23, a second round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, could have faced prison time if he had been convicted. Guice has played five regular season games in the NFL and is unlikely to catch on with another team this summer. 

SOURCE: The Washington Post

Jun 23, 2021, 12:37 PM ET

He just got a 6 game suspension.

I rail on people all the time for saying so and so is done, will never play again. Guice was my exception, I thought he was done and now I'm second guessing myself. He seems to have avoided criminal charges and can play after week 6. We know how the league works, if Ray Rice was an elite player or at a hard to fill position he'd have returned. The fact Guice is a RB absolutely hurts his chances but that's the question I'm now asking myself, would a team actually sign him?

I rail on people all the time for saying so and so is done, will never play again. Guice was my exception, I thought he was done and now I'm second guessing myself. He seems to have avoided criminal charges and can play after week 6. We know how the league works, if Ray Rice was an elite player or at a hard to fill position he'd have returned. The fact Guice is a RB absolutely hurts his chances but that's the question I'm now asking myself, would a team actually sign him?
I think if he had his talent at another position he would, especially QB.  RB are so plug-and-play I can't imagine anyone thinks it's worth the press.

I think if he had his talent at another position he would, especially QB.  RB are so plug-and-play I can't imagine anyone thinks it's worth the press.
Yeah.

Especially a guy who hasn't played since 2019, has only played 5 career games and has had knee issues.  

No one ever went broke betting against the cynicism of the NFL, but yeah, it would be a big lift for any team. Also, not to remotely defend what Rice or Kareem Hunt did, but I don't believe either of them had any red flags leading up to their assaults. Dating back to LSU, Guice had enough red flags for Christo to cover Central Park. 

So.....Six game suspension over, felony charges dropped, Unrestricted free agent, and only 24 years old.

Hard to find room for fliers right now with bye weeks hitting, but anyone taking a shot with him in hopes that some desperate NFL team picks him up? Stranger things have happened.....

Don't think he has any business occupying a roster spot on my 24-man dynasty, but if there are any whispers before an actual signing I would give it some consideration.    If he just signs on somewhere out of the blue, I probably lose the race to the waiver wire and I'm okay with that.   

If anything, maybe an end-of-season add on the chance that he finds Jesus and someone gives him a chance in the offseason (our rosters go into lockdown from week 18 until the August draft).   However, I'm pretty sure I can find 5 offseason stashes with more compelling upside at this point.

I would probably be more intrigued if I didn't have the Kerryon Johnson experience of seeing what knee injuries do to promising young RBs.   But not all injuries or knees are created equal.   5th round rookie/FA draft flier seems like a good call if he finds his way to a climbable depth chart.   

I think I take guys like Chandler, Knight, Harris, Badie over him.   Probably Strong, Ealy, McCormick, but at that point it really comes down to the guy most likely to generate some buzz in training camp or pre-season, otherwise they're the first ones getting dropped to waivers.   Is Guice just as likely to be that guy over the  rookie options at that range?  Possibly.   Will most drafters be inclined to give him the benefit of doubt over a shiny new late round rookie?   Probably not.  With Guice, you know that the physical talent was there to excel in the NFL.   It's a question of how much has been lost to injury and confidence that he has his demons under control (see also coachability, maturity).   If the answers are a little, but not as much as you might fear, and 25% that he's a new man, those are probably better odds of stealing a late round fantasy relevant RB than the rookie alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread