What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers move to L.A., where Rivers is now burning TOs due to crowd noise (1 Viewer)

Mr. Irrelevant

IBL Representative
Per Adam Schefter: https://t.co/eugPYGUBEd

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

Almost one year to the day since the Rams moved to Los Angeles, the Chargers now likely intend to do the same.

The Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday that they are moving to Los Angeles for the 2017 season, league sources said, ending a 55-year stint in San Diego and returning to their birthplace. The franchise played its inaugural season in Los Angeles in 1960 before moving to San Diego in 1961.

The Chargers have notified NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and other league owners of their plan, sources said.

As one league source cautioned Wednesday night, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos had yet to send a formal relocation letter to the NFL or notify public officials in Los Angeles or San Diego of the team's move -- or even tell the members of the Chargers organization about his plans. The source insisted nothing is final.

But unless Spanos unexpectedly changes his mind at the last moment -- and there certainly have been plenty of plot twists in San Diego's stadium saga -- the Chargers will be moving to Los Angeles.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, sorry San Diego guys.  Good news is I wouldn't be surprised if they did a rebranding and the San Diego Chargers return to the city sooner than later via expansion like the Cleveland Browns.

Also, screw you Goodell and the NFL. 

Seems like the NFL has been down the LA path before. Going to be interesting to see if this works out. I have my doubts. 

This will be a giant debacle, check back in ten years. Nobody in LA, well not many, gives a flying #### about the Chargers. 

Chargers have few fans in Los Angeles. When I lived there it was mostly Raiders. I don't see the city embracing or supporting them, just my opinion.

Very sad to see one of my favorite teams of the 80s disappear. Fouts Winslow Joiner Chandler...

Could be wrong, but whenever I see a Chargers home game on TV, it always feels like there are a #### ton of opposing fans there.

I would think the best thing the Chargers and the Rams for that matter could do would be to draft the absolute best players from USC. LA seems to have found a place for the Trojans in their heart mostly because they became winners but I think keeping the star players in the city would help the teams gain fandom.

2 teams in L.A? Or how does that work?
Home games on alternating weeks, maybe throw an occasional Thursday/Sunday turnaround into the mix. Only time it might become a conflict is if both teams hosted conference championship games, in which case the NFL would schedule one of them for Saturday. (Which is not unprecedented -- the 1983 NFCCG was played on a Saturday.)

The Staples Center has been doing it for years with the Lakers and Clippers. The L.A. Coliseum was actually the home stadium for 4 football teams during 1946-1949 (USC, UCLA, the Rams, and the L.A. Dons of the AAFC).

Home games on alternating weeks, maybe throw an occasional Thursday/Sunday turnaround into the mix. Only time it might become a conflict is if both teams hosted conference championship games, in which case the NFL would schedule one of them for Saturday. (Which is not unprecedented -- the 1983 NFCCG was played on a Saturday.)

The Staples Center has been doing it for years with the Lakers and Clippers. The L.A. Coliseum was actually the home stadium for 4 football teams during 1946-1949 (USC, UCLA, the Rams, and the L.A. Dons of the AAFC).
It also has been happening in the NFL for a long time now.

How did that happen? It's almost as if consumers are unwilling to pay for a crappy product year after year.

Good luck selling those box seats to angelenos, spanos. When the new stadium opens in the 2019/20 season Rivers will turn 38. WITH Rivers playing a full 16-game season the chargers have struggled to win 5 games a season the past few years. After Fouts retired the team rolled with Malone, McMahon, Toliver, Friesz, Humphries, Whelihan, Harbaugh, Leaf, and Flutie the following 14 years.... all under the "leadership" of the spanos family, mind you. I'm sure l.a. fans are going to gobble up tickets to watch your #### show.

How did that happen? It's almost as if consumers are unwilling to pay for a crappy product year after year.

Good luck selling those box seats to angelenos, spanos. When the new stadium opens in the 2019/20 season Rivers will turn 38. WITH Rivers playing a full 16-game season the chargers have struggled to win 5 games a season the past few years. After Fouts retired the team rolled with Malone, McMahon, Toliver, Friesz, Humphries, Whelihan, Harbaugh, Leaf, and Flutie the following 14 years.... all under the "leadership" of the spanos family, mind you. I'm sure l.a. fans are going to gobble up tickets to watch your #### show.
In fairness, their alternative is the Rams.

Should be plenty of luxury boxes sold in LA. That they'll be empty will never show up on tv

Chargers have few fans in Los Angeles. When I lived there it was mostly Raiders. I don't see the city embracing or supporting them, just my opinion.

Very sad to see one of my favorite teams of the 80s disappear. Fouts Winslow Joiner Chandler...
Jefferson, Muncie, Brooks they had some incredible offensive players. (I had to look up this spelling, but I did remember the guys name)  Rolf Benirschke's! 

I'll continue to support them. Just pissed at all voters for not supporting a stadium. Well also other things too voters did but won't go down that road!

I'll continue to support them. Just pissed at all voters for not supporting a stadium. Well also other things too voters but won't go down that road!
Can't imagine many people care. Crappy team basically forever and there's much better things to spend the money on. I'd be livid if my tax money was going to the NFL.

This is dumb.  LA can't support one team let alone two.   Will the Raiders make it three or are they going to Vegas?

Hasn't history proven that NFL teams don't succeed in LA?  All this just because SD wouldn't fund a new stadium for them.  You're a billion dollar company, build your own damn stadium.  The people are already spending thousands on tickets to your games and on apparel, you don't need to force them to help build you a stadium too.

New logo being unveiled today.

Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune  reports that reportedly the logo "will feature the letters "LA" arranged similarly to Dodgers logo. Lightning bolt instead of horizontal lining in two letters..." 

May or may not rebrand.  Wont rebrand in time for the 2017 season though.

Hard to blame them. Publicly financing stadiums is ridiculous.
True,  but being born and raised in SD (dispite being a Rams fan) and I can tell you that the last bill proposed cost the people of SD nothing.   It was a hotel tax, I was absolutely shocked the people didn't approve it to keep their team.  

True,  but being born and raised in SD (dispite being a Rams fan) and I can tell you that the last bill proposed cost the people of SD nothing.   It was a hotel tax, I was absolutely shocked the people didn't approve it to keep their team.  
I don't know the details and don't care enough to even google it, but that would be a first. All of the new stadiums I've read about have come at a steep price to tax payers.

I don't know the details and don't care enough to even google it, but that would be a first. All of the new stadiums I've read about have come at a steep price to tax payers.
Very true.   But this was a Hail Mary last ditched effort after 10+ years of trying to get something done.  

Baltimore has to be happy that somebody now has a worse logo than them.  Actually I was thinking of their stupid crest.  The raven itself is actually okay.  Regardless, that Charger logo is horrifically awful.  I could poop a better logo than that.

That sucks, sorry San Diego guys.  Good news is I wouldn't be surprised if they did a rebranding and the San Diego Chargers return to the city sooner than later via expansion like the Cleveland Browns.

Also, screw you Goodell and the NFL. 

Expansion SUCKS!!!!!!!!!  Getting a F'ng expansion team sucks, sucks, suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.  Expansion destroys teams, cities, fanbases.  The NFL sells a bag of magic beans to cities and rips away their team, forcing them to build a BRAND NEW STADIUM and give it to the NFL for FREE, jack up ticket prices, forces corporate sponsors to buy corporate boxed seating and then says it helps a city.  BS.  The next time an NFL team moves people should say no and take over the team and keep it where it belongs.  Literally TAKE AWAY THE TEAM.  Yeah, I'm talking STEAL the team.  One F'ng owner against millions?  I'll take those odds any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  These greedy A-holes have had their way for too long.  Time for the people who really care about the game to take it over.  Get rid of the owners.  

Expansion SUCKS!!!!!!!!!  Getting a F'ng expansion team sucks, sucks, suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.  Expansion destroys teams, cities, fanbases.  The NFL sells a bag of magic beans to cities and rips away their team, forcing them to build a BRAND NEW STADIUM and give it to the NFL for FREE, jack up ticket prices, forces corporate sponsors to buy corporate boxed seating and then says it helps a city.  BS.  The next time an NFL team moves people should say no and take over the team and keep it where it belongs.  Literally TAKE AWAY THE TEAM.  Yeah, I'm talking STEAL the team.  One F'ng owner against millions?  I'll take those odds any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  These greedy A-holes have had their way for too long.  Time for the people who really care about the game to take it over.  Get rid of the owners.  
All we need is a catchy slogan like "Power to the Proletariat" or some such thing.

Users who are viewing this thread