What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers move to L.A., where Rivers is now burning TOs due to crowd noise (1 Viewer)

I guess the NFL is smarter than me, because I don't think LA really wants any teams. The Rams sell a lot of tickets but get mediocre ratings. Who's going to care about the Chargers if the "hometown" Rams aren't setting it on fire? 

I was in LA for work a month ago. Stopped at a place for a let's lunch. About 6 TVs in the place. None were on the Rams game. 

They flashed the Chargers logo on the screen during the Clippers game tonight and the whole crowd booed.  :lol: Spanos is the one who didn't think this through and will have to live with his choice.
Apparent,y they were going to show Spanos on the screen after the logo but they cut it after the boos. Spanos made a giant mistake  moving to LA. When Rivers is done they're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildcat said:
You must be in the 1%.   Obviously cost factors into my travel plans, but never hotel tax.  You mean you would change your travel plans based on a hotel tax?  
I guess the $ spent on hotel tax counts to me the same as any other cost associated with a vacation. The costs of food, entertainment, lodging, etc etc all count toward the cost of the trip. If that puts me in the 1%..... uh, ok. I'm not even sure what you are getting at. What taxes "count" and which taxes don't in your mind? 

I guess the $ spent on hotel tax counts to me the same as any other cost associated with a vacation. The costs of food, entertainment, lodging, etc etc all count toward the cost of the trip. If that puts me in the 1%..... uh, ok. I'm not even sure what you are getting at. What taxes "count" and which taxes don't in your mind? 
I'm getting at your point were you indicate that raising a hotel tax will have a affect on tourism to the point where it will have a negative effect on the local economy.  I just don't see that cause and effect.   I wouldn't let a hotel tax stop me from taking a trip to San Diego.  In fact, I probably wouldn't even care.  It wouldn't have been, nor is it ever a factor in my vacation plans. 

"I really want to go to SD on vacation but the extra .5% hotel tax kills that idea.   Let's go to Nebraska instead, they have great hotel tax rates."   Said no one ever...

Catbird said:
Having an NFL team means a lot to a city's economy. Fans locally and from away travel to games, stay in hotels, eat out, buy gas, buy team clothing, get cable and dish subscriptions ... all of which means people spending money in the city. That provides jobs and changes the local economy. Sales tax alone on that spending changes the city's income, and the type and quality of services it can provide. People think about the owners and don't want to line their pockets, but don't think so much about the thousands of jobs and volume of sales a team brings. If a dollar spent in a town typically turns over 17 times (the figure I've heard for years) in follow up sales, the impact is far reaching. A team leaving will cause its own small economic swoon. I don't think most people consider the situation much beyond not wanting to give money to a wealthy owner. 

I think the SD vote lost on several factors. A lot of people see any tax and hate it. They don't want to pay taxes for better roads or for better hospitals or schools (although they often demand those) and they certainly won't agree to pay a tax to have football. All taxes are bad. These folks are awfully close to a majority in the US all by themselves. Others just hate the ultra-rich owners and don't want to pay anything that will make them richer. Having an owner like Spanos that the community hates dramatically increases this group. Finally, there are a lot of people who don't care at all about football. Why would they support a tax to pay for it?

Spanos is just taking the better of his two options. He is certainly no hero, and is certainly greedy and not tied up in fan loyalty, but just a businessman working from pure self interest. He thought he could, or was willing to, stay in SD if the locals were willing to hike hotel taxes enough to lower his investment. He knew what his projections are in LA. San Diegans had a straight up choice. It was pretty clear not approving the hotel tax would mean the Chargers leaving. I'm sorry for the true fans and businesses who were willing to help with the costs to keep the team. For everyone else, you got to spank Spanos. I hope that was worth it. I hope you thought through and are happy to live with that choice. 
Just about every economic study done ever on this issue shows that having a pro sports team is not a net positive economic impact for cities. No idea where your info is coming from, but it's not from economists.

Chargers getting justifiably skewered for this. Terrible terrible design. It's the Dodgers logo italicized. Just awful. 

Spanos such a soulless tool, he went from being the owner of the beloved team in San Diego treated like royalty to being the red headed step child in a town that's shown they don't give a crap about 1 football team much less two. 

All orchesteated by the NFL. 

Really hating the team movement. All of it. 

Spanos such a soulless tool, he went from being the owner of the beloved team in San Diego treated like royalty to being the red headed step child in a town that's shown they don't give a crap about 1 football team much less two. 
To be fair, Charger fans have hated Dean Spanos for a long time, so the decision to move hasn't really affected that basic premise -- just elevated the intensity by a notch.

To be fair, Charger fans have hated Dean Spanos for a long time, so the decision to move hasn't really affected that basic premise -- just elevated the intensity by a notch.
And to be even more fair, among the biggest reasons fans have hated Dean Spanos for a long is because of the cheap and short sighted decisions he's made. 

For instance the hiring of Telesco seemed idiotic at the time.... but now that he's built a team that has averaged four and half wins a season the past two years we can really appreciate his aptitude for the job. Telesco came from an organization who had the brilliant strategy of being the worst team in football the years that Manning and Luck came out of college. I can only presume he's just letting the roster lurk at the bottom of the standings until that next savior QB comes out of college. 

I would love to see a list of how much GM's around the league are being payed because Telesco has to be near the very, very bottom. I'm guessing that no head coach hired after Lynn will be paid lower.

And to be even more fair, among the biggest reasons fans have hated Dean Spanos for a long is because of the cheap and short sighted decisions he's made. 

For instance the hiring of Telesco seemed idiotic at the time.... but now that he's built a team that has averaged four and half wins a season the past two years we can really appreciate his aptitude for the job. Telesco came from an organization who had the brilliant strategy of being the worst team in football the years that Manning and Luck came out of college. I can only presume he's just letting the roster lurk at the bottom of the standings until that next savior QB comes out of college. 

I would love to see a list of how much GM's around the league are being payed because Telesco has to be near the very, very bottom. I'm guessing that no head coach hired after Lynn will be paid lower.
Not to mention the move of getting rid of Martyball, possibly the most beloved coach in football history. 

And the worst is that Spanos isn't Mark Davis who genuinely can't afford to build a stadium (but is too stubborn and pig headed to sell even 1% of the team so someone else will) - no, he's a billionaire who could apparently build whatever he wants wherever he wants, and could have spent so much more on the Chargers if he cared to invest in winning.

instead he uses the team like his personal ATM. I wonder if he was Jed York's role model. 

True, but the SD chargers were loved.

the LA Chargers are not going to be embraced by anyone in LA. For one, they've shown time and time again that they don't give 2 craps about football unless a team is in 1st place. 

For another there are an estimated 2 million raider fans in LA, all of whom HATE the Chargers.

So they're really going to enjoy that Raiders home game every year in LA. Ironically it'll be the Las Vegas Raiders home game in LA. :doh:  

the NFL is seriously showing its greed and stupidity with thess moves IMO.  

Who wants to bet that the Raiders will magically show up in the Rams schedule as a home game every single year? After all - that's the only time that stadium will sell out. 

Just awful. If you told me when I was a kid that we'd have the Santa Clara 49ers, the LA Chargers and the Las Vegas Raiders, I would have accused you of being high on crack. 

Unfortunately I'm now starting to believe that crackheads can make better decisions than the NFL. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chargers-admit-mistake-drop-la-210043304.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Chargers admit mistake, drop new LA logo after criticism

The San Diego Chargers' old lightning bolt logo remained essentially unchanged for more than 40 years.

The Los Angeles Chargers' first logo lasted about 48 hours.

On Saturday, team officials said they had scrapped their first logo, which bore an uncanny resemblance to the Los Angeles Dodgers' timeless blue-and-white 'LA' crest.

Chargers president of business operations A.G. Spanos told NBC Sports the team "miscalculated" how the logo would be received by the public.

"The logo that was revealed on Thursday was meant to help launch our brand into the market and supplement - not replace - our official team marks," Spanos said. 

"Clearly, we miscalculated how the logo would be received, and we've taken it out of the rotation."

The logo did not receive a warm welcome from fans in Los Angeles. On Saturday, fans booed when the team's new crest was displayed on the video screen during a game between the Lakers and Clippers at Staples Center.

It also quickly became the subject of widespread mockery on social media.

Spanos told NBC the team may try another LA logo down the road, and would look for community and fan input during the process.

"If the ultimate outcome of this episode is something really special that LA fans help create and truly love, that's a win," Spanos said.

so glad this is all blowing up in the Spanos family face......what a bunch of dbags

Agreed. 

I will actually be surprised if the Spanos family doesn't end up selling the team. I have been pretty surprised by the almost universal bashing they are getting. Normally you at least have one city happy that they are getting an NFL team. In this instance it seems like no one is happy. Not even Spanos seems happy. I think the only way that team will be able to build up a fab base again is for the Spanos family to be removed from the equation. They should just sell the team, collect a fat check, which is all they care about anyway and be on their way. 

I hate to admit it, but as a long time Charger fan that has lived most of my life in OC or the IE, I am looking forward to seeing them play in such a small venue. I think I am probably the only one. I would never be able to afford a good tickets, but StubHub is so small any seat will be a good one.

Just about every economic study done ever on this issue shows that having a pro sports team is not a net positive economic impact for cities. No idea where your info is coming from, but it's not from economists.
:goodposting:

This one's been done to death, I was chuckling to see people trying to trot out that old chestnut. Let's get @St. Louis Bob in here to tell us about what a great boon publicly funding a stadium for the Rams was for St. Louis.

Also, I don't understand the quibbling about what kind of tax we're talking about. It's still a tax, the intention of which is to build a stadium for a highly profitable private business that could easily fund the project without public monies. Should be a non starter, and I'm glad the people in San Diego pushed back - just like the people of Los Angeles did. Remember, this only happened because Kronke built the stadium in L.A with private money on land he owned. I guess maybe the suckers in Carson would have caved, but we'll never know.

Not to mention the move of getting rid of Martyball, possibly the most beloved coach in football history. 

And the worst is that Spanos isn't Mark Davis who genuinely can't afford to build a stadium (but is too stubborn and pig headed to sell even 1% of the team so someone else will) - no, he's a billionaire who could apparently build whatever he wants wherever he wants, and could have spent so much more on the Chargers if he cared to invest in winning.

instead he uses the team like his personal ATM. I wonder if he was Jed York's role model. 
I will never, ever get over getting rid of Marty. That's basically the worst move any team has ever made when talking about head coaches. Still feel sick about it... norv had couple of ok-years with the team Marty built but still, worst move ever.

:goodposting:

This one's been done to death, I was chuckling to see people trying to trot out that old chestnut. Let's get @St. Louis Bob in here to tell us about what a great boon publicly funding a stadium for the Rams was for St. Louis.

Also, I don't understand the quibbling about what kind of tax we're talking about. It's still a tax, the intention of which is to build a stadium for a highly profitable private business that could easily fund the project without public monies. Should be a non starter, and I'm glad the people in San Diego pushed back - just like the people of Los Angeles did. Remember, this only happened because Kronke built the stadium in L.A with private money on land he owned. I guess maybe the suckers in Carson would have caved, but we'll never know.
It all depends on the deal but generally a NFL stadium is a net loser.  At issue is the owners are SO greedy that a shiny free new stadium isn't enough.  Oh no, they want some of the concession, parking, tax, money too.  For the hundredth time, screw the NFL.

It all depends on the deal but generally a NFL stadium is a net loser.  At issue is the owners are SO greedy that a shiny free new stadium isn't enough.  Oh no, they want some of the concession, parking, tax, money too.  For the hundredth time, screw the NFL.
Even with multiple superbowls factored into the equation???

San diego would host one ever 5 years or so with a new stadium.....

"'By comparison, other billion dollar facilities – like a major shopping center or large manufacturing plant – will employ many more people and generate substantially more revenue and taxes,' Noll said."

That's the key.

Building a stadium will bring business to local hotels, bars, restaurants, etc. But you can't use zero as a baseline. You can't compare building a $1 billion stadium to just burning $1 billion in a furnace. Building a stadium will always come out ahead in that comparison, but it's not the right comparison. You have to compare it to dropping $1 billion out of a helicopter, or giving $1 billion in tax breaks to businesses who relocate to that district, or whatever the best use of that money would be. Building a stadium will seldom come out ahead in that kind of comparison, most likely.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chargers-admit-mistake-drop-la-210043304.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Chargers admit mistake, drop new LA logo after criticism

The San Diego Chargers' old lightning bolt logo remained essentially unchanged for more than 40 years.

The Los Angeles Chargers' first logo lasted about 48 hours.

On Saturday, team officials said they had scrapped their first logo, which bore an uncanny resemblance to the Los Angeles Dodgers' timeless blue-and-white 'LA' crest.

Chargers president of business operations A.G. Spanos told NBC Sports the team "miscalculated" how the logo would be received by the public.

"The logo that was revealed on Thursday was meant to help launch our brand into the market and supplement - not replace - our official team marks," Spanos said. 

"Clearly, we miscalculated how the logo would be received, and we've taken it out of the rotation."

The logo did not receive a warm welcome from fans in Los Angeles. On Saturday, fans booed when the team's new crest was displayed on the video screen during a game between the Lakers and Clippers at Staples Center.

It also quickly became the subject of widespread mockery on social media.

Spanos told NBC the team may try another LA logo down the road, and would look for community and fan input during the process.

"If the ultimate outcome of this episode is something really special that LA fans help create and truly love, that's a win," Spanos said.
I may be the only one old enough to remember the film "the Jerk" but does anyone else remember the gas station scene with Steve Martin? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRM3lFRwRI

It kind of amuses me to think of the spanos family running around in circles because their beloved new angeleno fans "Hate this new LOGO! For some reason they hate this LOGO! Quick, get rid of this LOGO!"

Thanks for the link, squistion. As a former long suffering charger fan I have to tell you it's been a long time since the spanos family provided a smile. 

I remember when the Angels rebrand to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  Dodgers fans made up t-shirts that read:  The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles.  I wonder if we'll see shirts that read:  The San Diego Chargers of Los Angeles"

I remember when the Angels rebrand to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  Dodgers fans made up t-shirts that read:  The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles.  I wonder if we'll see shirts that read:  The San Diego Chargers of Los Angeles"
Should of went with the los angeles dodgers of brooklyn

This transition to los angeles is going even better than I could have hoped for. Apparently, the NFL felt the need to insist that the chargers won't be heading back to SD. A sure sign that things are going just swimmingly after two home games.....

Per Rotoworld:

"Dean Spanos - C - Chargers

The NFL has denied it's already considering moving the Chargers back to San Diego.

"We are committed to and confident of the long-term success of the two teams in Los Angeles," the league said in a statement. Speculation arose last week that the NFL was already considering pulling the plug on the experiment, which has been an abject disaster so far this season. Playing in 27,000-seat soccer stadium "StubHub Center," the Bolts have failed to sell out both home games. The fans who did show up were primarily rooting for the Dolphins and Chiefs. Frankly, moving the team back makes more sense than keeping it in L.A., but that ship has probably sailed.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 28 - 4:50 PM"

Just an AWESOME job dean. It's the hangover from that damn logo that people hated! Couldn't have happened to a nicer family. Enjoy angelino's. Enjoy. BTW, the spanos family owning an NFL franchise isn't an experiment..... it's a long, slow motion car wreck. Just when you thought I-5 couldn't get any more ugly.

No updates as to whether the chargers are planning to move their games to a highschool stadium in la so they have some hope of selling out a game this season. Or maybe just a municipal park..... a soccer field? 

Christopher Udry had the most interesting comment there.  He pointed out that Museums and Concert halls also probably cost taxpayers more than any benefit gained.  An angle not usually taken.  
Did anyone ask Udry how many museums cost half a billion dollars, and are actually being used about a dozen DAYS a year? JFC, these apologists for billionaires are shameless.

This transition to los angeles is going even better than I could have hoped for. Apparently, the NFL felt the need to insist that the chargers won't be heading back to SD. A sure sign that things are going just swimmingly after two home games.....

Per Rotoworld:

"Dean Spanos - C - Chargers

The NFL has denied it's already considering moving the Chargers back to San Diego.

"We are committed to and confident of the long-term success of the two teams in Los Angeles," the league said in a statement. Speculation arose last week that the NFL was already considering pulling the plug on the experiment, which has been an abject disaster so far this season. Playing in 27,000-seat soccer stadium "StubHub Center," the Bolts have failed to sell out both home games. The fans who did show up were primarily rooting for the Dolphins and Chiefs. Frankly, moving the team back makes more sense than keeping it in L.A., but that ship has probably sailed.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 28 - 4:50 PM"

Just an AWESOME job dean. It's the hangover from that damn logo that people hated! Couldn't have happened to a nicer family. Enjoy angelino's. Enjoy. BTW, the spanos family owning an NFL franchise isn't an experiment..... it's a long, slow motion car wreck. Just when you thought I-5 couldn't get any more ugly.

No updates as to whether the chargers are planning to move their games to a highschool stadium in la so they have some hope of selling out a game this season. Or maybe just a municipal park..... a soccer field? 
wait until the raiders home game and its 90% raider fans......

what a joke....move em back to where exactly? that stadium is getting torn down? Have em play in Petco park? 

what and utterly foolish move by the NFL and Spanos

##### flutes all of em

wait until the raiders home game and its 90% raider fans......

what a joke....move em back to where exactly? that stadium is getting torn down? Have em play in Petco park? 

what and utterly foolish move by the NFL and Spanos

##### flutes all of em
It's kind of spectacular really, and keep in mind they were only 0-1 and 0-2 when selling these tickets. I'm betting most of those tickets were sold before it was painfully obvious what type of team telesco and the spanos family had built. Just imagine what that minor league stadium will look like when this team is 2-8. Gordon and Allen haven't even had their annual season ending injuries yet.

It's as if spanos is pulling up to a burning building while wearing his fireman's hat. The only problem is he's driving a truck full of gasoline. 

Feel kind of sorry for Rivers, but this debacle is honestly providing me with more entertainment than the chargers were able to muster their last several season in SD. I'm crossing my fingers for a game with attendance below 10k by the end of the season. Maybe they will offer free coffee to homeless people to ensure that doesn't happen but that CLE@lac in week#13 is looking like an early candidate to me. Why would people attend that game when they can watch two turds "float" down the los angeles "river" for free? How much are they charging for parking, again? 

We’re going to have to watch to see how this taking over of StubHub goes. It really is an ongoing sociology study.

We’ll know more next week. If the Philadelphia Eagles fans who swarm StubHub are a peace-loving bunch, we will know they’re transplants softened by the sun.

Make no mistake, there is little (if any) homefield advantage here for the team that is temporarily camping in Carson before moving to Inglewood after abandoning San Diego.

Here’s the level of intimidation the Stub provides for opposing players:

“I’m used to it, coming from Division II,” said Chiefs running back Tyreek Hill, who was drafted out of the University of West Alabama.

That the Chargers expressed pleasure they could easily communicate when on offense at home is also a sad summation of their situation.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-chargers-chiefs-0925-story.html

“I’m used to it, coming from Division II,” said Chiefs running back Tyreek Hill, who was drafted out of the University of West Alabama.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-chargers-chiefs-0925-story.html
I would have guessed that was a quote from every "visiting" DLman, having just played against the chargers OL.

"But, but THIS season the chargers OL should be better!"..... copy/pasted for at least six years now in this forum. Any word yet from the charger fans how Ol'-Man-Okung and third-round wunderkind Freeney have FIXED the chargers OL? "You can't fix an OL in one year!".... and Telesco has been there how many years?

I love that Eagles fans overwhelmed the stadium yesterday but this is a real ####### embarrassment for the league. How does a team fail to fill a 27k seat statdium? Why is the NFL in LA at all let alone with 2 teams? 

That home game on 12/31 against the Raiders is going to be a disaster when it's all Raider nation.

Users who are viewing this thread