What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A New Orleans Pelicans Thread - Now Featuring Zion, Ingram, Ball, Hart, Hayes, NAW + 2 More Extra 1sts! (1 Viewer)

So full disclosure - I'm a sports fan. And I am huge supporter of my city.

And I think that the city's team is really the New Orleans Jazz.

So seeing as how that is no longer possible - faced with a horrible arena, a mediocre team, an ownership structure I object to, a color scheme and logo I sort of dislike, and an overall tepid to unenthusiastic fanbase around me, I will attempt to write some stuff about the Pels from time to time, bearing this in mind.

First observation:

- The NBA playoff structure is ridiculous - the Pelicans started 0-8.

Somehow they find themselves a mere 1.5 games out of the playoffs - so 16-17 or near .500 BB until the end may actually get them in.... whereupon the Pels willd ffind themselves the honor of getting routed by the Warriors. Thanks NBA.

what playoff structure do you propose?

Making the playoffs would give the Pels millions of dollars.
Hm, yeah, I know, and they may just make the playoffs - they've been near .500 since Holiday came back - but I prefer winning teams to get in. I think too many get in and the number should be more like 12, not 16, especially as the first round 1 vs 8 is usually a joke anyway.

However yes obviously I'd rather see my team make it and I would be going to the playoffs myself for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, yeah, I know, and they may just make the playoffs - they've been near .500 since Holiday came back - but I prefer winning teams to get in. I think too many get in and the number should be more like 12, not 16, especially as the first round 1 vs 8 is usually a joke anyway.

However yes obviously I'd rather see my team make it and I would be going to the playoffs myself for sure.
The NBA is unique in that 25-26 of its franchises start the year with 0 or near 0 hope to win the title. I'm fine with a big playoff pool as it gives fans of middling franchises an achievable goal to shoot for. Why on earth would anybody care about the Pels right now if they had no shot to make the playoffs?

The NBA is unique in that 25-26 of its franchises start the year with 0 or near 0 hope to win the title. I'm fine with a big playoff pool as it gives fans of middling franchises an achievable goal to shoot for. Why on earth would anybody care about the Pels right now if they had no shot to make the playoffs?
Ha, I get why they do it, to maintain interest, I'm more interested in the teams actually deserving to make it and the quality of the playoffs. The 1 vs 8 matchup is typically a joke.

It's early, but the fact that Jrue sucks with both the bigs on the court is concerning. he's going to have trouble getting into the lane with the twin towers not ideally spacing the floor. 

My son has been rooting for the Pelicans lately, even though we watch every Celtics game. Something about 2k18.  It's starting to get annoying but I am keeping quiet.  Hopefully it's just a short term thing.

It will be interesting to see how Mirotic plays for you guys.  He's a better defender than he's given credit for and the advanced defensive stats have generally shown this.  Of course, his game largely revolves around his streaky 3-point shot.  He's a chucker and that will get on your nerves when he's cold.

My son seems to think the Pels are going to make the playoffs.  It's pretty funny shtick when he asks siri what the Pels record is at breakfast every day.  I bite my tongue mostly, but occasionally counter with "will you finally switch back to the Celtics if they trade for Anthony Davis?"  He says no fwiw.  

My son seems to think the Pels are going to make the playoffs.  It's pretty funny shtick when he asks siri what the Pels record is at breakfast every day.  I bite my tongue mostly, but occasionally counter with "will you finally switch back to the Celtics if they trade for Anthony Davis?"  He says no fwiw.  
Smart kid

It will be interesting to see how Mirotic plays for you guys.  He's a better defender than he's given credit for and the advanced defensive stats have generally shown this.  Of course, his game largely revolves around his streaky 3-point shot.  He's a chucker and that will get on your nerves when he's cold.
I’ve enjoyed his style of play. He’s been limited recently but I like the flow of the game with him in there.

Amazing, they might make it. They’re still stuck in the West and don’t seem likely to get past anyone in the Top 4, but winning has been nice and Gentry just had his Jim Mora moment, which I love.

1. I'm not surprised. I don't think I'm the only one who has been saying years not just with AD but also Chris Paul that this franchise has no idea how to build around great talent once they find it.

2. The NBA as a game is awesome. As a league it sucks and encourages mediocrity vs super teams instead of building parity.

3. Screw the Lakers and I hope the Pels don't give in. They haven't and I'm proud of them for that. 

Completely forgot this forum existed.

Meanwhile, here's some information for the "Pelicans HAVE TO move to Seattle!!!" crowd. Yes, the Pelicans are reborn:

i have no idea, but i thought they were one of the lowest attended teams. even when they had a push last year it seemed the city didn't buy into them much.
During a dumpster-fire season, the Pelicans averaged 16,004 fans at home during the 2018-19 season, 25th out of 30 teams. Ahead of some much larger markets such as Atlanta, Phoenix, and Minneapolis. And Brooklyn.

Max capacity for basketball in the Smoothie King Center is 16,867, expandable to about 18,500. So even if every game were a sellout, the Pelicans would max out around 22 or 23rd in the league (providing no other teams dropped off much). Selling out the expanded figure 41 times would get them up to 11th or 12th. Anyway, the team's been selling about 16K tickets and change per home game every season since 2013-14, falling between 21st and 25th in attendance (see prior seasons at link above).  Ergo, the team moves enough tickets locally for that not to be a reasonable excuse for an insta-move to Seattle.

Meanwhile, Brett Dawson (of the Locked on Pelicans podcast) reported on WWL 870 AM this morning that the Pelicans sold about 2,000 season tickets last night between the #1 pick announcement and 1:00 a.m.

1. I'm not surprised. I don't think I'm the only one who has been saying years not just with AD but also Chris Paul that this franchise has no idea how to build around great talent once they find it.

2. The NBA as a game is awesome. As a league it sucks and encourages mediocrity vs super teams instead of building parity.

3. Screw the Lakers and I hope the Pels don't give in. They haven't and I'm proud of them for that. 
Absolutely to #2 and #3.

But #1 ... what exactly is "building around great talent"? Never, ever missing on your acquisitions? Why don't any of these "great players" roll with a franchise's punches and stick around to help build a winner? I can see maybe for owners who clearly DGAF (Donald Sterling types) ... but otherwise?

Absolutely to #2 and #3.

But #1 ... what exactly is "building around great talent"? Never, ever missing on your acquisitions? Why don't any of these "great players" roll with a franchise's punches and stick around to help build a winner? I can see maybe for owners who clearly DGAF (Donald Sterling types) ... but otherwise?
This may be an NBA problem, I'm not sure. The trend towards building super teams has been really problematic. The NFL has the advantage of spreading the wealth, and for whatever reason MLB has a path to money ball which overcame the problem of the Yankees. But what does the NBA do to solve this? I don't know. Today we have GS looking at a fifth straight finals appearance?

But let's face it, for the Pels the exact same thing arose with Chris Paul. They were almost there, West and Chandler surrounded him, they were pretty good. Pretty good. Is Portland that good? Denver? They were good and they weren't super teams built on triplets. You've got these young men with mega millions and they are capable of winning championships and they are not going to wait around forever. Maybe the Pels were close with Cousins, Mirotic and Holiday, maybe. They had bad luck. Cousins had the Achilles and ducked out rather than taking the long term deal, Mirotic and Davis got hurt at the same time and they just gave up. These young guys are so impatient.Whatever the case these guys didn't have the confidence or faith in the program or the management to stick with it.

PG - DSmithJr

SG - JHoliday

SF - RJBarrett

PF - Zion

C - MRobinson

and $30+ mil cap space. me likey

Pelicans send Anthony Davis to the Lakers. Lakers send Lonzo ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first round picks including the number 4 in 2019

Jeff Duncan‏Verified account @JeffDuncan

The Pelicans’ roster now features 9 first-round draft picks: Zion Williamson; Jaxson Hayes; Nickel Alexander-Walker; Lonzo Ball; Josh Hart; Brandon Ingram; Stanley Johnson; Jahlil Okafor; and Jrue Holiday.

7:26 PM - 20 Jun 2019

- I don't really count Stanley but who knows maybe he sticks.

Jeff Duncan‏Verified account @JeffDuncan

The Pelicans’ roster now features 9 first-round draft picks: Zion Williamson; Jaxson Hayes; Nickel Alexander-Walker; Lonzo Ball; Josh Hart; Brandon Ingram; Stanley Johnson; Jahlil Okafor; and Jrue Holiday.

7:26 PM - 20 Jun 2019

- I don't really count Stanley but who knows maybe he sticks.
I would really count okafor either...

Users who are viewing this thread