What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just walked the dogs 4 miles in the cold crisp air with a light dusting of snow...got home poured a makers on the rocks and instead of getting fired up watching cable news I am watching Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds relaxing with my wife and enjoying a nice night...I suggest you do the same gents. Tippy Hedron was not bad in her heyday!

Last edited by a moderator:
So how long until Bannon is out? It sounds like he's on Trumps #### list. I give him one more month.
Very good question. I heard a blurb on NPR earlier today that suggested that Bannon does not have as much influence within the admin as has been previously speculated.  I have not yet been able to find the full story though, as it was only a teaser.

Perhaps it has broke in print since then, but I have yet to hear anything more on the audio broadcast.  It really grabbed my attention, so I will keep an ear to the ground.  Although, others here have usually caught these things before me. 

A thought that has occurred to me in the last two weeks, during the election all the polls skewed heavily to Clinton and Trump won. This was largely in part to bad polling data where people who were voting trump didn't own it when talking to pollsters.  Now, post-election I am seeing an outpouring of protests against Trump and very little if any support of his decisions/policies.  Where is his base?  Did they evaporate or is this another case of his supporters not owning up to their support?  

Just walked the dogs 4 miles in the cold crisp air with a light dusting of snow...got home poured a makers on the rocks and instead of getting fired up watching cable news I am watching Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds relaxing with my wife and enjoying a nice night...I suggest you do the same gents. Tippy Hedron was not bad in her heyday!
Sweet.  Tell your wife we're on our way.

Makers Mark!  :thumbup:

I'd do tas you suggest, but I only break the bourbon out for special occasions.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, this may be one. :toast:

Missed this...what's the scoop?
Me too. Falling farther and farther behind on the crazy.

Should I be outraged or hysterical tonight? I'm prepared to cry or riot at a moment's notice.
Yeah first I'm hearing this also.

Things with Bannon is that the normal people in the administration like Tillerson, Haley, Mattis, and Kelly aren't gonna like that guy at all.  He's a pompous ***, smart for certain, but he's about everything a guy like Mattis isn't.  Bannon is is gonna call Mattis one day and Mad Dog is gonna say, "put the President on, and don't call me again."

A thought that has occurred to me in the last two weeks, during the election all the polls skewed heavily to Clinton and Trump won. This was largely in part to bad polling data where people who were voting trump didn't own it when talking to pollsters.  Now, post-election I am seeing an outpouring of protests against Trump and very little if any support of his decisions/policies.  Where is his base?  Did they evaporate or is this another case of his supporters not owning up to their support?  
The supporters spent 8 yrs being told they were the enemy.  They've won. They'll sit back and watch the left continue to melt down

Great movie

Very good question. I heard a blurb on NPR earlier today that suggested that Bannon does not have as much influence within the admin as has been previously speculated.  I have not yet been able to find the full story though, as it was only a teaser.

Perhaps it has broke in print since then, but I have yet to hear anything more on the audio broadcast.  It really grabbed my attention, so I will keep an ear to the ground.  Although, others here have usually caught these things before me. 
Bump...check deep sources,,,I know that I caught this earlier, but can't find any follow up.   :(

There are two basic hurdles you have to clear to meet the case or controversy requirement.  Standing is one.  Ripeness/mootness is the other.  In this case, the plaintiff wanted an Order from the court saying they could not apply the Order to green card holders. The administration said it no longer does. The judge said "okay, well, the question of whether they're allowed to is moot, they aren't."

Judges don't get to take hypothetical cases, only actual ones.  There is no actual case for that plaintiff, so the ripeness/mootness issue kills the TRO.
Thanks, man.

I don't know where they are. But I do know they aren't smashing windows, beating people up and burning #### in the streets

Those on the right have moved from talking about substance to talking about reactions and fake news and media bias. 

They've collectively taken a step back from engaging on the issues to engaging on perceptions of the issues, or how the issues are discussed, or bias.  

It's incredibly common in this thread, and in almost all conversations with people regarding Donald Trump or his policies, positions, or actions. 

Collectively, they're at least 1 degree removed from substance at nearly all times, and there are several frequent posters in here who typify this inability to engage on issues but rather engage on tangential elements of issues...reactions, coverage, emotion, what other folks have done in the past, etc.  
323 pages and I can count on one hand the number of times a poster has actually engaged in an intelligent defense of Trump's actions so far as POTUS.

I don't know where they are. But I do know they aren't smashing windows, beating people up and burning #### in the streets
Honestly, I believe his base is very hard to measure.

1) The die-hards in my area (KY), are not easily polled for various reasons.

2) The average supporters are the ones most usually caught in the polling net...imo.

3) The fellow travelers are hard to rely on for accurately/honestly responding to polls...not a dig at them, as I believe many are truly conflicted

4) What does that leave?

First, I think the "bad polling" thing is a bit of an urban legend. Most of the polls were correct or within the margin of error (Wisconsin and Michigan excepted). There's probably an element of truth to the "shy Trump supporter" theory, but I think there's also an element of truth to the "lazy Clinton supporter" theory.

As for Trump's base, they're not hiding at all. He's enjoying an 84% approval rating among registered Republicans. The problem is that Republicans only make up 27% of the voting population.

I'll say that's a reasonable case summary.
Thanks.

Btw this just gives weight to Yates. I don't doubt she's a partisan, a lot of people in bureaucracy are, she's given money toe Dems, etc., however the point about not arguing without a good basis in reason or law rang true to me.

Jim Roberts@nycjim 24m24 minutes ago

White House now says Trump's remark about sending in troops to Mexico was lighthearted. #jokesaboutinvasion.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-leaks-idUSKBN15I321

Jim Roberts ‏@nycjim 17m17 minutes ago

This is hard to swallow after Trump bragged on Thursday about talking tough to other countries.
Well duh, who couldn't see that DJT was such a lighthearted being?

The blind stumble aimlessly in their pursuit of this paragon. :(

Way dated, this is more fun!

(I've been binge watching The Man in the High Castle" tonight)

The supporters spent 8 yrs being told they were the enemy.  They've won. They'll sit back and watch the left continue to melt down
You kidding?  For those on the right, the past 8 years the supporters have been focused almost totally on how much the democrats were the enemy.  It was on fox news, on talk radio, on the breitbart and other websites.  The far right, and much of the right in general, for the past 8+ years, has been almost purely anti-liberal, anti-obama.  The tea party made their agenda grinding the country to a legislative halt.  Most republicans followed suit.  An entire year of OBama's term they prevented a Supreme court pick from being appointed because they could.  They blocked, stonewalled, and took us to the brink of default so many times its' not even funny.  Truly unfit, as a party, to govern - just an opposition party devoid of ideas.

Look at the 50+ votes to repeal Obamacare under Obama.  The republicans knew it would never go through, and it was purely symbolic, so they did it again and again, but when they won, and they could ACTUALLY repeal it, they have no #######' clue what they're gonna do.  Same thing about the Iran deal, that Trump bashed on the campaign trail, turns out he's not gonna touch it.  The want to roll back regulations, cut taxes, and no longer care a whit about the deficit.  They'll bend over and pay billions for a wall that is essentially useless, driving up the deficit, for what?  And Mexico is going to pay for it? Lmao...the solutions the administration are floating don't even make economic sense and will likely end up being paid for by, you guessed it, the American people.  An infrastructure bill and tax reform that will balloon the deficit that they've been lambasting Democrats about, pretending that they care.  It's a farce.

The Republican party has been one that has been almost entirely overrun by hot air, by being united around what they're against (liberals and obama), with little focus on what they are for.  This is how Donald Trump gets elected, because he is against all the things they're against, and he was the loudest, most abrasive person in the room talking down those they disagreed with.  He out-hated all the other republican candidates and untied people behind him not because of his policies, but because he was the biggest bully in the room and validated all of their prejudices (not only racial, but prejudices about liberals, immigrants, refugees, "inner city folk", etc).  He threw enough generic ideas out for people to pretend they cared about policies - "renegotiate terrible iran deal", "fix the healthcare system", "fix the broken immigration system", and then he invented other "crises" that don't exist like ridiculous crime surgest across the country all the while we're near all-time lows in almost all of the country.  It's truly bat#### insane that people bought into this, but it shows you how simply hatred-driven the entire wing of the party has become, and how devoid of ideas they are.

So, he somehow wins...and you know he and his team didn't ever expect to win and actually have to, you know, deliver on their promises and complaints (much like the republicans who vote repeal repeal repeal to obamacare without any alternative, knowing full well they'll never have to answer the question "what would you do better?" because Obama was still president)...and now people are understanding what happens when you vote for someone just because they're against the same people you're against, and especially when you vote for the biggest, most abrasive, most boorish, most politically incorrect person in the race.  You get someone SUPREMELY unsuited for the job, who can't handle calls with allies, who acts impulsively and impetuously, who lies habitually, who has thin skin and can't seem to get out of campaign mode where he got away with his lies and half-truths because he was against the same folks his supporters were against.

So now a party somehow finds itself holding the keys to the country they said was headed in the wrong direction, who pointed out at every turn how almost everything being done was horrible, and now they can't seem to do much right.  They're just now grappling with the implications of their rhetoric...it is absolutely sickeningly embarrassing to watch Trump and the Republicans try to run the country right now.  

Trump's boorish and ridiculous actions, EO and calls with foreign leaders included, are not unexpected.  He was going to make bad decisions, he was going to choose bad folks for appointments.  He was going to piss people off, say politically incorrect things, and generally muck up the system.  But all of the Republicans who are spineless, Paul Ryan especially, to stand up to him are the most pathetic out of all of them.  Their precious and fleeting political careers are worth more to them than their integrity.  Even those with the most integrity on the right are only doing half-assed jobs of calling out Trump when he deserves it.  

HIs press secretary repeatedly puts out false information.  Kellyanne Conway repeatedly puts out false information.  He's waging a war on the media and anyone critical of him.  

The whole thing is an American disgrace and people for generations will look back on this presidency with shame, provided he doesn't screw things up to a sufficient degree that we aren't around in generations.  Does anyone doubt his ability to escalate a normal diplomatic situation into a crisis, and for the sake of his ego, not back down and plunge us into war?  What about indefinitely increased tensions with other nations who aren't favorably disposed to us?

All of this we have because an entire party, and entire political group, became united around who they were against, rather than what they are for.  Yet just like Donald Trump did in the campaign, where he accused the other party of all of his faults (find his accusations against Hillary, and they're all applicable to him to a higher degree - Crooked Hillary, while Donald Trump is still getting more income off his business holdings while president?  Are you F'ng kidding me?  No tax returns released?) in the quote above TommyBoy is accusing the liberals of EXACTLY the behavior the right is guilty of.  The left, for the past 8 years, hasn't been focused on the right...the left, has been trying to move things forward with Obama at the helm trying to move the country in a direction according to liberal ideals and the best economics and policies out there.  On the other hand, the party without the presidency has been hell-bent on bringing Obama down, on doing everything possible to oppose him at every turn.

So yeah, it's ridiculous to hear the right pretend that they've been victimized for 8 years.  What's even more ridiculous is watching republican leaders, Trump included, try to govern themselves out of a paper bag and failing tremendously.

Oh, and "in" before this response is simply dismissed as being "unhinged" or other such nonsense, dismissing the post as a whole in one judgment rather than engaging on any specific points.  It's easier to just take something as a whole, pass a judgment on it, and dismiss it than actually disagree with points in a post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capt. Ahmed Adnan al-Musawe had survived another day battling Islamic State fighters in Mosul last weekend when he heard startling news: The new American president had temporarily barred Iraqis from entering the United States and wanted tougher vetting.

Captain Musawe, who commands an infantry unit of the Iraqi Army’s elite counterterrorism force, considers himself already fully vetted: He has been trained by American officers in Iraq and in Jordan. And backed by American advisers, he has fought the Islamic State in three Iraqi cities, including three months of brutal street combat in Mosul.

“If America doesn’t want Iraqis because we are all terrorists, then America should send its sons back to Iraq to fight the terrorists themselves,” Captain Musawe told a New York Times reporter who was with him this week at his barricaded position inside Mosul.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/03/world/asia/travel-ban-drives-wedge-between-iraqi-soldiers-and-americans.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread