What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYT: Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

“The intelligence finding was briefed to President Trump, and the White House’s National Security Council discussed the problem at an interagency meeting in late March...but the White House has yet to authorize any step, the officials said.”
Stay safe, @Max Power

Sincerely.
This topic is going to get me banned.  Not today, but surely soon.

Now try to imagine the level of outrage from the right if Obama had known about bounties on U.S. soldiers and had done nothing about it.

Fox's "anti-Obama military expert talking head rolodex" would have melted from overuse.
They would be screaming he’s anti-American.

One of the primary reasons Trump supporters still back him is because he puts ‘America first’. I just don’t get how they can actually believe that. Project Lincoln needs to turn this into an ad and blast it on Fox News.

I saw Gasperino's opinion piece on this yesterday (he's a Fox Business guy, I think). It's interesting mostly that the idea has surfaced on Fox fairly early (they're not the first pundits to speculate about this). A piece like that is considered a betrayal of purpose by many Fox viewers/readers.

But further reporting reveals undeniable proof that Trump is digging in his heels and calling in his best men: Jared Kushner has been given the task of turning the ship around. Top men.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Gasperino's opinion piece on this yesterday (he's a Fox Business guy, I think). It's interesting mostly that the idea has surfaced on Fox fairly early (they're not the first pundits to speculate about this). A piece like that is considered a betrayal of purpose by many Fox viewers/readers.

But further reporting reveals undeniable proof that Trump is digging in his heels and calling in his best men: Jared Kushner has been given the task of turning the ship around. Top men.
After brokering peace in the middle east, this will be a cake walk.

From the article:

"Donald Trump may drop out of the 2020 presidential race if he believes he has no chance of winning, a Republican Party operative reportedly told Fox News."

From a few days ago:

“Under the current trajectory, President Trump is on the precipice of one of the worst electoral defeats in modern presidential elections and the worst historically for an incumbent president,” said former Trump political adviser Sam Nunberg, who remains a supporter.

Nunberg pointed to national polls released by CNBC and New York Times/Siena over the past week showing Trump receiving below 40 percent against Biden.

If Trump's numbers erode to 35 percentage points over the next two weeks, Nunberg added, “He’s going to be facing realistically a 400-plus electoral vote loss and the president would need to strongly reconsider whether he wants to continue to run as the Republican presidential nominee.”

Trump says painting ‘Black Lives Matter’ on New York’s Fifth Avenue would be ‘a symbol of hate,’ and that maybe NY police "won’t let" it happen. Hmmmmmmmm..... 

Reporting from today is that he blames Kushner for bringing in Kim Kardashian and talking him into criminal justice reform. He regrets doing it because he doesn’t believe in it and it hasn’t helped him at all with the black vote. 

Practically the one and only thing I’ve approved of and he regrets it lol

Reporting from today is that he blames Kushner for bringing in Kim Kardashian and talking him into criminal justice reform. He regrets doing it because he doesn’t believe in it and it hasn’t helped him at all with the black vote. 

Where did you read that?  did you get it directly from Jared/Trump himself?  Or is this another "anonymous insider", "someone close to Trump", "random critic" type articles/reports?

Where did you read that?  did you get it directly from Jared/Trump himself?  Or is this another "anonymous insider", "someone close to Trump", "random critic" type articles/reports?
Here’s the link I found:

https://www.axios.com/trump-kushner-second-thoughts-408d5a33-725d-442a-88e4-d6ab6742c139.html

It cites to “three people with direct knowledge of the president’s thinking.”  It’s how most political reporting gets done, but I can understand why anonymous sourcing would be questioned here. That said, based on what you know about Trump, do you think it sounds far-fetched? For me, it sounds very believable. I don’t think Trump has really before or since spoken out in support of criminal justice reform, and his involvement of celebrities in the law’s passage seemed more like a publicity stunt than commitment to the cause, but I am certainly thankful for his efforts in getting the law passed. Good on him, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if this piece of reporting was accurate. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, he didn’t really do anything. 

Also, he didn’t really do anything. 
Trump didn’t, or the statute didn’t?  Because I thought the reforms to sentencing guidelines and stacking were steps in the right direction (though would defer to your superior knowledge in this particular area).

Great press conference.  Everything's great, jobs and stock market are up "the likes of which nobody has ever seen."  "No other president could have done this."  "The numbers are not made up by me.  These are numbers."  

So proud of my president.  I must now disseminate this information on Facebook without critique or fact checking.    

What exactly would happen if Trump just up and took his ball home?
You mean drop out of the race before November? I've seen the speculation but I think it's wishful thinking. By staying in, he retains a chance to turn things around and pull off another upset and, even if he loses, he can spend four years complaining about election fraud and pumping donors for money by promising another run in 2024.

The bigger question that you might be intending is, what happens to the GOP after 2020 if he loses/drops out? The moderates are already leaving (some new super-PAC of Bush II supporters just announced that it would oppose Don) and demographics are working badly against the party as long as its reactionary base remains prevalent. That base isn't gonna suddenly wake up and decide that they're wrong, no matter how badly their candidate might lose in November.

Maybe we shouldn't even be talking about this stuff, interesting as it is. I don't want to jinx us.

You mean drop out of the race before November? I've seen the speculation but I think it's wishful thinking. By staying in, he retains a chance to turn things around and pull off another upset and, even if he loses, he can spend four years complaining about election fraud and pumping donors for money by promising another run in 2024.

The bigger question that you might be intending is, what happens to the GOP after 2020 if he loses/drops out? The moderates are already leaving (some new super-PAC of Bush II supporters just announced that it would oppose Don) and demographics are working badly against the party as long as its reactionary base remains prevalent. That base isn't gonna suddenly wake up and decide that they're wrong, no matter how badly their candidate might lose in November.

Maybe we shouldn't even be talking about this stuff, interesting as it is. I don't want to jinx us.
Yeah, I was kinda just wondering what the process would be should he just bail.  I don't think it would happen, but I was wondering what the process of replacing him would look like.

What do you think would make him the favorite over Biden or the '24 Dem candidate? Mike's got more than a whiff of Dan Quayle about him.
Biden is a terrible candidate.  I think a lot of people will vote him just because he’s not trump.  You offer them a “normal” republican I think they go with that option. I mean I’m pretty much a liberal Democrat but you give me just about any other R vs Biden I’m going with the republican (not Pence though, don’t like him either, but I believe a lot of people on the fence would take him over Biden)

Biden is a terrible candidate.  I think a lot of people will vote him just because he’s not trump.  You offer them a “normal” republican I think they go with that option. I mean I’m pretty much a liberal Democrat but you give me just about any other R vs Biden I’m going with the republican (not Pence though, don’t like him either, but I believe a lot of people on the fence would take him over Biden)
That's hard for me to envision because I don't think Pence impresses anyone. And I don't think all that many voters are on the fence. 

Lastly, I think demographics are going to severely hinder the prospects of any conservative religious candidates at least through '28. But, hey, maybe I'm completely misreading the direction the electorate is heading and just haven't read enough about it. (It seems hard to find any meaningful research/data that leans the other way but I confess that I might not be searching in the right places)

Why? He has an opposable thumb. He can sign all the bills sent to him. If you're a liberal dem and willing to put two more conservatives on the supreme court you might want to rethink your category.  

I think its too late for the GOP with respect to the presidency - they will win or lose that race based solely on Trump - even if Trump is not the candidate.

If it is someone else - they will either bear the taint of Trump, or will be completely removed from Trump (say, a Romney), and thus lose Trump's enthusiastic support amongst his base.

But, the bigger, and potentially more important, question for the GOP is control of the Senate.  If Trump tanks in the presidential race, that will cost the GOP the senate.  But, a more moderate GOP candidate might lose the presidency, but still provide enough support in key states for the GOP to hold the senate.  Its no sure thing either way.

Why? He has an opposable thumb. He can sign all the bills sent to him. If you're a liberal dem and willing to put two more conservatives on the supreme court you might want to rethink your category.  
Biden makes late stage Reagan look lucid, but Supreme Court is a good point.

As a former Republican I will not be voting for any Republican who enabled Donald J Trump. Period. Not in 2024, 2028 and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread