What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, the heartless part of me absolutely loves that Trump voters get smacked harder than anyone with the new healthcare plan. Pass it IMO, give the people what they (think they) want(ed).
What is the alternative that Bannon/Breitbart want? Straight out repeal?  Sounds like it.

Btw not getting rid of preexisting coverage just means uncoverable losses for the insurance industry. Either government and consumers pay for that or they don't in which case the industry blows up.

Let's say the rumors are true and the bill is pulled and a new bill is introduced, one that is more in line with conservative thinking- that's not going to fly with Republican moderates. It still won't get passed IMO. 

Let's say the rumors are true and the bill is pulled and a new bill is introduced, one that is more in line with conservative thinking- that's not going to fly with Republican moderates. It still won't get passed IMO. 
No, the whole exercise is ridiculous. Really if the GOP wants to fall on their sword at Bannon's instruction go right ahead, the whole congressional session is over before it started to boot.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/13/white-house-seeks-to-cut-billions-in-funding-for-united-nations/

- I've been treating the Trump budget as DOA so my tendency is to not be concerned about this, but at a minimum this shows their mindset.

- And regardless of what people think about these programs they have a big impact on our economy, influence and power in the world.
Again it's important to note that this is not unique to Trump: walking away from the UN has been a staple of talk radio for 30 years. In this case, as in cutting out government agencies, Trump is only carrying out the wishes of conservatism as it has expressed itself for decades. 

Again it's important to note that this is not unique to Trump: walking away from the UN has been a staple of talk radio for 30 years. In this case, as in cutting out government agencies, Trump is only carrying out the wishes of conservatism as it has expressed itself for decades. 
Sure, it's the talk radio presidency.

'Hi Rush, megadittos, this is Hank from Addison - yeah about the UN, we just need to cut those people off, they're just leaches...'

Now actual policy emanating from Bannon directly into an executive budget.

Wait until he makes it legal to date your daughter.  Then these guys will finally have the utopia they've been longing for.  

No, the whole exercise is ridiculous. Really if the GOP wants to fall on their sword at Bannon's instruction go right ahead, the whole congressional session is over before it started to boot.
But long before Trump and Bannon ever reached power, many of us predicted this struggle would occur. The Republicans have no consensus on how to replace Obamacare. They never have. 

These seem to be a minority on either side of the aisle IMO

what's coming out here now is that the House bill really just an opportunity for them to rework Medicaid. it's a chance for them to change entitlement programs. Ryan sees that as the goal here really. they'll talk a good game about coverage, costs, healthcare but fundamentally changing it to block grants to states will likely cut outlays significantly. 

But long before Trump and Bannon
Eh, just to be clear though, Trumpbannon is a special problem that adds a much bigger burden. They pretty much committed themselves to self-defeat when they signed on with Trump, even if he and they "won." So they won, won what?

Last edited by a moderator:
In this particular case, by Republican moderates I mean any GOP House or Senate member who is concerned with the political consequences of trying to cut Medicaid and remove pre-existing condition protections. There are a lot of these, I suspect. 

Eh, just to be clear though, Trumpbannon is a special problem that adds a much bigger burden. they pretty much committed themselves to self-defeat when they signed on with Trump.
Yes. 

But I see a potential conflict here Saints. Trump is definitely on board with Brannon's isolationism, anti-trade, anti-immigrant sentiments. But is he truly also on board with Brannon's desire to shrink the role of the federal government, particularly on health care? Trump's rhetoric on the issue indicates the opposite. Also Trump is more devoted to the appearance of winning than he is to any ideological concern, period. All of which suggests to me that at some point the alliance between Bannon and Trump may end. 

Yes. 

But I see a potential conflict here Saints. Trump is definitely on board with Brannon's isolationism, anti-trade, anti-immigrant sentiments. But is he truly also on board with Brannon's desire to shrink the role of the federal government, particularly on health care? Trump's rhetoric on the issue indicates the opposite. Also Trump is more devoted to the appearance of winning than he is to any ideological concern, period. All of which suggests to me that at some point the alliance between Bannon and Trump may end. 
Trump doesn't really appear to understand how government works. He's joined with Bannon IMO, you may not realize it but Bannon has been there since almost the beginning even though he only came out front after Manafort left. Trump has no idea how to drive the train and he thinks Bannon is a miracle worker who was 'right'.

As for ideology, Trump is a nationalist. Bannon is a nationalist. - Ducks that walk and talk, etc.: I think people need to drop the line that Trump has no ideology, not true. He is what he does, which is nationalism.

Yes. 

Tim, Trump's "rhetoric" is just bull #### for his voters. He doesn't really mean any of it any more than he meant any of it during his campaign.

I know WheelsUp is spamming the thread, but he's correct on this point.  If you voted for Trump, you showed through your own actions that some unspecified "other stuff" outweighed a history of sexual abuse for you.  You can make a similar argument for people who voted for Bill Clinton.  You can also make a similar argument for people who cheer for Ben Roethlisberger.  I'm not necessarily saying that any of these people are right or wrong, just pointing out that very, very few people actually view sexual assault as a conversation-ender when there are other compelling reasons for them to support somebody.  
You really can't. There was no sexual impropriety discussed during his first election. And before his second it was sexual indiscretions and harassment. When you're talking about sexual assault it's disingenuous to lump in Clinton's improprieties with the other 2, no matter how one wishes to really strain oneself to be, "independent" and, "non-partisan." Which should mean being objective in things, not just trying to tar both parties equally when given the opportunity. 

It's sad that there's a swath of Americans who point fingers and say, "You people over there always tarnish one side and lionize and purify the other. Having no interest in either and being completely independent I can objectively say at every point and every factor that both sides are equally bad." Which is as unreflective and as knee jerk as anything they accuse anybody else of.

Last edited:
At this point it looks like they need to keep the Medicaid expansion in some form for any of this to pass the Senate.  What a bill that keeps that expansion in place looks like is well Obamacare with some revisions.  But this was always about jamming through Medicaid defunding, so here they are.

At this point it looks like they need to keep the Medicaid expansion in some form for any of this to pass the Senate. 
Just heard Tom Cotton comfirm this. But he suggested that the existing bill could pass the House and then they could change it in the Senate. 

It was suggested a few times on MSNBC yesterday that Trump isn't pushing this health care bill nearly as hard as he could because he's indifferent to it, his heart isn't in it, he would be just as happy if it failed so he could continue to blame Obamacare. 

Is this true? Or is Trump just not very good at this? 
Name one point in the last year that he's shown any willingness, or even interest, in delving into the details of anything. That would entail real work. Even before the election there was a story verified by Trump people that Trump had offered Kasich to be the VP. To be the COO to Trump's CEO. Trump wasn't interested in details or operations. He announces a headline and then goes to large dinners and golf games with VIPs and celebrities. Closing deals on the 8th hole fairway. 

So he announces a big banner goal: health care which is completely awesome. Then he walks away and lets everyone else figure it out. And then whatever comes out he cheerleads as being completely awesome. His heart not being in the health care plan? His heart isn't in governing period. It never has been.

Just heard Tom Cotton comfirm this. But he suggested that the existing bill could pass the House and then they could change it in the Senate. 
He seems to think they need 60 votes though since he doesn't believe the Phase   1/2/3 nonsense (i.e. out of the budget process)

I do love that McConnell basically left Ryan on this hill by himself

WheelsUp said:
If I voted for a rapist it means I support it or at the very least can overlook it. And overlooking is tolerance and tolerance is acceptance.
I know WheelsUp is spamming the thread, but he's correct on this point.  If you voted for Trump, you showed through your own actions that some unspecified "other stuff" outweighed a history of sexual abuse for you.  You can make a similar argument for people who voted for Bill Clinton.  You can also make a similar argument for people who cheer for Ben Roethlisberger.  I'm not necessarily saying that any of these people are right or wrong, just pointing out that very, very few people actually view sexual assault as a conversation-ender when there are other compelling reasons for them to support somebody.  
Some people don't believe the history of sexual abuse/assault.  Some think it was just talk and that the women were lying who accused him.  Some think it may be true, they don't know, but they don't care because they're voting for their policies and an SC justice.  

Some may have believed it, and voted for him anyway which is worthy of criticism, but they'd probably agree with you that it sucks, but given the choices they had, it was the best of bad choices and trying to pin on them the label of voting for a sexual abuser is counterproductive because it's a non-starter and something most folks would legitimately disagree with who voted for Trump.  

You don't get a blank slate of attributes you want to vote for in a person, and you walk through them one by one saying which ones you'll take and which you'll leave.  By and large, you get two choices...one that may support your values more than the other, so you go with them.  If many had voted for Hillary, they'd possibly be able to say that they voted for someone in favor of murdering babies...if that's their view on abortion.  So what do they do?  Vote for a sexual abuser, or vote for a baby killer...or a liar, a cheater, a negligent mother...these labels can be thrown at anyone for anything, and you can say that by voting for someone you're voting for all these vices...it's just not productive in the end, and more than that, it's not accurate.

what's coming out here now is that the House bill really just an opportunity for them to rework Medicaid. it's a chance for them to change entitlement programs. Ryan sees that as the goal here really. they'll talk a good game about coverage, costs, healthcare but fundamentally changing it to block grants to states will likely cut outlays significantly. 
Right. I watched the John Oliver piece on it last night and he said that you could just hear Ryan's erection as he talked about his plan. He was detethering (Ryan's word) an entitlement program from the federal government. They are chopping federal government into pieces to let states do it. And if they're not giving states enough money or states don't have any interest in giving good health care to the poor, well, that's just the virtue of small and local government. So not only does Ryan get his policy goal he gets to reduce the spending as he increases the block grants by 3% or whatever as health care costs go up 20% or so. Hey! I cut medical spending! By no longer paying for all of it! Rather than by reducing costs.

It's like my ex-wife. She made a big deal out of funding retirement stuff. As if moving dollars from this account to that account was being incredibly wise and responsible. When the real work was generating the dollars in the first place. Takes no effort or work to just move things around.

If many had voted for Hillary, they'd possibly be able to say that they voted for someone in favor of murdering babies...if that's their view on abortion.  So what do they do?  Vote for a sexual abuser, or vote for a baby killer...or a liar, a cheater, a negligent mother...these labels can be thrown at anyone for anything, and you can say that by voting for someone you're voting for all these vices...it's just not productive in the end, and more than that, it's not accurate.
This is a poor analogy.  Someone who supports abortion rights is, at most, someone who condones baby-killing, if that's how you see abortion. That would be analogous to a politician who wants to decriminalize sexual abuse or strike sexual harassment laws.

Trump actually committed the acts of sexual abuse and harassment himself.  Supporting him if you oppose sexual assault and sexual harassment is akin to supporting an abortion doctor for President if you are pro-life.

Yes. 

Trump doesn't really appear to understand how government works. He's joined with Bannon IMO, you may not realize it but Bannon has been there since almost the beginning even though he only came out front after Manafort left. Trump has no idea how to drive the train and he thinks Bannon is a miracle worker who was 'right'.

As for ideology, Trump is a nationalist. Bannon is a nationalist. - Ducks that walk and talk, etc.: I think people need to drop the line that Trump has no ideology, not true. He is what he does, which is nationalism.
Trump wants to be the little boy at the front of the train pretending like he's running it, with the conductor's cap on his head, pulling the whistle, waving at his friends...all the while bannon is heaping the coals into the furnace and doing the actual conducting.  

Trump just wants his name on the presidency, but he doesn't have any desire to do actual work.

If many had voted for Hillary, they'd possibly be able to say that they voted for someone in favor of murdering babies...if that's their view on abortion.  So what do they do?  Vote for a sexual abuser, or vote for a baby killer...or a liar, a cheater, a negligent mother...these labels can be thrown at anyone for anything, and you can say that by voting for someone you're voting for all these vices...it's just not productive in the end, and more than that, it's not accurate.
This is a poor analogy.  Someone who supports abortion is, at most, someone who condones baby-killing, if that's how you see abortion. That would be analogous to a politician who wants to decriminalize sexual abuse or strike sexual harassment laws.

Trump actually committed the acts of sexual abuse and harassment himself.  Supporting him if you oppose sexual assault and sexual harassment is akin to supporting an abortion doctor for President if you are pro-life.
Why is it a poor analogy?  Yes, the situation is different, but the mischaracterization is just as bad.

How about this...when you vote for Hillary, you're voting for someone who condones murder of babies?  Is that a better statement for analogy purposes?

And also, first, you have to actually believe he committed the sexual assaults.  Most Trump voters don't believe it's true.  You do, they don't.  They think it was just talk and the women are lying.  When they're voting for Trump, they're not voting for someone they believe to be guilty of this.

Why is that important to note? Why does it matter who originated these ideas?

Why is it a poor analogy?  Yes, the situation is different, but the mischaracterization is just as bad.

How about this...when you vote for Hillary, you're voting for someone who condones murder of babies?  Is that a better statement for analogy purposes?
Sure, that's a fine statement.  But when you vote for Trump you're not just voting for someone who condones sexual assault and harassment. You're voting for someone who commits those acts. Condoning an act and committing it are totally different things.  Our laws make that clear, and I think our collective morality pretty clearly separates the two as well.

By the way Trump also almost definitely falls into the "commission" act when it comes to abortion too, or at least intention to commit.  He wanted Tiffany aborted, and I would be willing to bet he's followed through on that desire with other mistresses. But that's a subject for another time.

I didn't vote for Trump.

I didn't vote for Trump because I thought the Right was the worst.  Now I have learned the Left has all of what I despised about the Right.

Demonstrated right here.
1. I didn't accuse you of any of the above. In fact I don't personally recall you, in particular, supporting Trump but I do disagree with your stance on those who have and do. Vigorously.

2.  Who and what is this "left" you speak of? People calling a spade a spade (you support Trump you, at the least, implicitly support who he is and what he stands for, including his history of assault and continually degrading women. At the very least you are ok with it)

3. What is demonstrated here, because as I've mentioned and shown many times before, I'm hardly "the left" and voted Libertarian in the last elections. 

That said, as someone who voted for neither major candidate (for over a decade), it's clear to me the dangers and inherently selfish nature of Trump and those willing to suppprt him, in the face of the assault realities, the lies, the fraud, the apparent colluding with foreign enemies.

like I said, I'm merely calling it as it is. Now, the Dem party is a mess unto itself, but they lack the pure callousness and willingness to harm the nation and individuals as compared with the Republicans. At the least, they are not led by someone of such poor character as Trump - not by a long shot. 

Sure, that's a fine statement.  But when you vote for Trump you're not just voting for someone who condones sexual assault and harassment. You're voting for someone who commits those acts. Condoning an act and committing it are totally different things.  Our laws make that clear, and I think our collective morality pretty clearly separates the two as well.

By the way Trump also almost definitely falls into the "commission" act when it comes to abortion too, or at least intention to commit.  He wanted Tiffany aborted, and I would be willing to bet he's followed through on that desire with other mistresses. But that's a subject for another time.
I don't like to find myself in a position defending Trump voters, but again, one has to believe those claims are true before they can even begin to be called supporters of a sexual abuser.  Most don't.  I'd put the % of folks who voted for Trump who believe he sexually assaulted anyone at less than 20%.  

If you (or others) want to attack those 20% or so as supporters of a sexual abuser, go for it, but even most of them likely voted for him in spite of it rather than endorsing it.  

Again, if you take this approach to labeling people/politicians, and then labeling their supporters as folks who condone all the things the candidate stands for, it becomes problematic.  People are nuanced in how and why they support candidates.  This kind of discussion pretends they're not, and that we all view things similarly, which again is not productive and not accurate.

I don't like to find myself in a position defending Trump voters, but again, one has to believe those claims are true before they can even begin to be called supporters of a sexual abuser.  Most don't.  I'd put the % of folks who voted for Trump who believe he sexually assaulted anyone at less than 20%.  

If you (or others) want to attack those 20% or so as supporters of a sexual abuser, go for it, but even most of them likely voted for him in spite of it rather than endorsing it.  

Again, if you take this approach to labeling people/politicians, and then labeling their supporters as folks who condone all the things the candidate stands for, it becomes problematic.  People are nuanced in how and why they support candidates.  This kind of discussion pretends they're not, and that we all view things similarly, which again is not productive and not accurate.
I agree with most of this.  I don't think most of the people who voted for him think he's a sexual abuser, and so I don't consider their support for a sexual abuser and harasser to be a moral failing. But that doesn't make the statement any less true. The people holding up "Free OJ" signs outside the courthouse may have genuinely thought that Simpson was innocent, but that doesn't make it any less accurate to declare that they were supporting a murderer.

Whats basically happened in politics is the left has embraced totalitarian aspects:  safe spaces to stifle speech are ok, a great yearning to curb freedom to install massive central government to fight inequality, racial quotas in the workplace. These are all things a dictator approves of. 

It appears the public is embracing the totalitarian aspect.... but they are moving to the right not the left. 

Looks to me like the republic will fall soon but we turn into a nazi state instead of a socialist one. 

I agree with most of this.  I don't think most of the people who voted for him think he's a sexual abuser, and so I don't consider their support for a sexual abuser and harasser to be a moral failing. But that doesn't make the statement any less true. The people holding up "Free OJ" signs outside the courthouse may have genuinely thought that Simpson was innocent, but that doesn't make it any less accurate to declare that they were supporting a murderer.
To engage in a legit discussion on this very sensitive point, you'd need to have your head in the sand to say Trump is not a womanizing, cheating misogynist who ADMITTED to assaulting women (he freakin' admitted it, it's not like we need evidence at this point).

That means you are either ok with it or those realities do not rise above the other things that do concern you. If the latter is the case, great - you feel that (please, what is so important as to overlook faults that would have diqualified any other candidate in history and should have, for Trump as well) is more important than the reality of what Trump is and has been? 

It tells me that someone who shares such a mode of thought either doesn't much care for women's rights and issues, not to speak of the other dangers I've mentioned (lies, literal fraudulent business practices, strong arm business practices that may be legal but are utterly and clearly unethical such as not paying subs and forcing small biz to take pennies on the dollar since they couldn't afford costly litigation, very sketchy relationships with Russia and her agents).  Just freakin' own that if you continue to support this terrible, terrible person. It's no longer he vs. "killary" - it's Trump on his own. 

You support him, you support the package... unless you support some of his POSITIONS and make it clear that is what you support. That's another story, though one with a great deal of nuance.  Not this threads strong suit, nuance. Certainly not a select group of trolls who clearly support Trump and are seemingly all in on that... so I find it more than fair game to point out just who and what they support and how that reflects upon them. 

Tough one for me here. He's on tape admitting to his behavior. Not to mention his Stern interview where he talked about walking in on the teen girls undressing. All this is documented and on the record. For me, if you chose to ignore that and voted for him you either condone sexual harassment and the vile treatment of women or you don't consider it a big deal when a woman is treated in such a manner. Tough for me to just turn a blind eye on that one.

1. I didn't accuse you of any of the above. In fact I don't personally recall you, in particular, supporting Trump but I do disagree with your stance on those who have and do. Vigorously.

2.  Who and what is this "left" you speak of? People calling a spade a spade (you support Trump you, at the least, implicitly support who he is and what he stands for, including his history of assault and continually degrading women. At the very least you are ok with it)

3. What is demonstrated here, because as I've mentioned and shown many times before, I'm hardly "the left" and voted Libertarian in the last elections. 

That said, as someone who voted for neither major candidate (for over a decade), it's clear to me the dangers and inherently selfish nature of Trump and those willing to suppprt him, in the face of the assault realities, the lies, the fraud, the apparent colluding with foreign enemies.

like I said, I'm merely calling it as it is. Now, the Dem party is a mess unto itself, but they lack the pure callousness and willingness to harm the nation and individuals as compared with the Republicans. At the least, they are not led by someone of such poor character as Trump - not by a long shot. 
You have created an enemy in your head and now have nothing stopping you from demonizing them for no reason aside from that.  This is what the worst examples of the right did with Obama and Hillary.

You can't paint broad swaths of people as supporting sexual assault based on who they voted for President.  At least you can't do so and expect to be taken seriously as a part of rational discussion with other human beings.

Nobody voted for Trump based on his history with women.  Nobody has come out defending him on this topic in the least. Nobody here supports sexual assault against women. It is that simple.

The left has been virtue signalling that freedom sucks for a long time.  That message broke thru but the public went right not left. 

I think you can make the argument that you believe they supported a murderer, but when folks suggest that Trump voters should own that they voted for a sexual predator/abuser, well that presupposes they agree to the premise, which most don't.  

Hell, look at all the facts Trump supporters ignore on almost all issues.  The don't believe he lies, when pointed out that he does.  They believe the liberal media is more biased than their own.  They believe climate change is a hoax.  They believe that welfare recipients are poor and are driving around in escalades and buying iphones all the time.  

These folks are detached from reality and bought into a ton of lies, the likes of which modern politics has never seen.  And you guys think they can objectively believe that Trump is guilty of sexual assault?  Or that his "caught on tape" stuff wasn't just talk?  No way.  It's a mainstream media lie to make him look bad...obviously.

But again, if you (or anyone) want to go with labeling folks and then labeling supporters based on their vote for a person, that's a long road to go down.  Folks who voted for Hillary are supportive of a liar, a person who condones infidelity, possibly someone guilty of murder (many on the right believe the clintons killed folks...stupid yes, but they can say it)...i mean, in the end, we just end up assigning our own most distasteful views of a candidate and transferring them onto the voters...which isn't fair, and it's mostly inaccurate.

There are plenty of things to criticize Trump voters about based on what they actually supported in Trump.  Muslim ban.  Repealing Obamacare.  Building a ####### wall and making Mexico pay for it.  Language that seems to invite trade wars.  The list goes on.

Trump is the land of milk and honey when it comes to giving opponents legitimate issues with Trump and the folks who support him and many of his ideas.  There's no reason to transfer blame for what we think Trump is guilty of to his supporters.  They're guilty of many other things that are clearly things they support.

To engage in a legit discussion on this very sensitive point, you'd need to have your head in the sand to say Trump is not a womanizing, cheating misogynist who ADMITTED to assaulting women (he freakin' admitted it, it's not like we need evidence at this point).
This describes 80+% of Trump voters.  With the sand being right-wing media.  What do you think the poll results would be if you asked Trump supporters whether Trump has been guilty of sexual assault or not?  What about misogyny?  

That means you are either ok with it or those realities do not rise above the other things that do concern you. If the latter is the case, great - you feel that (please, what is so important as to overlook faults that would have diqualified any other candidate in history and should have, for Trump as well) is more important than the reality of what Trump is and has been? 

It tells me that someone who shares such a mode of thought either doesn't much care for women's rights and issues, not to speak of the other dangers I've mentioned (lies, literal fraudulent business practices, strong arm business practices that may be legal but are utterly and clearly unethical such as not paying subs and forcing small biz to take pennies on the dollar since they couldn't afford costly litigation, very sketchy relationships with Russia and her agents).  Just freakin' own that if you continue to support this terrible, terrible person. It's no longer he vs. "killary" - it's Trump on his own. 

You support him, you support the package... unless you support some of his POSITIONS and make it clear that is what you support. That's another story, though one with a great deal of nuance.  Not this threads strong suit, nuance. Certainly not a select group of trolls who clearly support Trump and are seemingly all in on that... so I find it more than fair game to point out just who and what they support and how that reflects upon them. 

Tough one for me here. He's on tape admitting to his behavior. Not to mention his Stern interview where he talked about walking in on the teen girls undressing. All this is documented and on the record. For me, if you chose to ignore that and voted for him you either condone sexual harassment and the vile treatment of women or you don't consider it a big deal when a woman is treated in such a manner. Tough for me to just turn a blind eye on that one.
Yeah, I kind of agree with these posts.  OTOH we see in other contexts how hard it is to admit something terrible about someone or something you support or admire.  Happens in the sports context all the time. So I'm not sure what to make of people who are able to maintain denial when it comes to Trump's treatment of women. Won't really matter until at least 2019 at this point, I guess.

You have created an enemy in your head and now have nothing stopping you from demonizing them for no reason aside from that.  This is what the worst examples of the right did with Obama and Hillary.

You can't paint broad swaths of people as supporting sexual assault based on who they voted for President.  At least you can't do so and expect to be taken seriously as a part of rational discussion with other human beings.

Nobody voted for Trump based on his history with women.  Nobody has come out and defending him on this topic in the least. Nobody here supports sexual assault against women. It is that simple.
I am not painting with a broad brush - this is very specific brush.

To the bolded, why nobody voted for Trump based on his history with women, far too man voted for - and many continue to support him - IN SPITE of his history with women.

THAT is my point. And, to me at least, it's disgusting.  That's all.  Not sure much else needs to be said on this, speaks for itself, and at least you (and others) know that, for many of us, we will never forget those who supported someone of such weak moral character.  

The left has been virtue signalling that freedom sucks for a long time.  That message broke thru but the public went right not left. 
This doesn't make any sense.  Millions more people voted democrat than republican in 2016...you realize that right?

And also, no need to overstate your point.  Yes, some on the left are guilty of trying to shut down conversations they feel are too provocative...but saying that the left is saying that "freedom sucks" is a bridge miles too far.

This describes 80+% of Trump voters.  With the sand being right-wing media.  What do you think the poll results would be if you asked Trump supporters whether Trump has been guilty of sexual assault or not?  What about misogyny?  
Ok, now we are making progress on the nuance of WHY... which is why I go back to something with which you take umbrage... that Trump supporters need to own it.  Willingly putting your head in the sand does not change who and what you support, and how that reflects upon you.

If how it reflects upon you is upsetting, then either the people pointing out the ugly reality are just wrong and it's not that ugly a reality, or it's time for you to recognize the underlying realities and react accordingly. 

Or, as I and others have said, just own it. 

What happened to the women who accused Trump of rape when she was 13?  She should bring him to court.
Don't get me started on this... her attorney, imo, is as bad as they come (from what I know about her in her professional life and motives and attention whore nature, using that term quite intentionally).

Yeah, I kind of agree with these posts.  OTOH we see in other contexts how hard it is to admit something terrible about someone or something you support or admire.  Happens in the sports context all the time. So I'm not sure what to make of people who are able to maintain denial when it comes to Trump's treatment of women. Won't really matter until at least 2019 at this point, I guess.
It's not an easy decision to make, I agree. If you believe, for example, the allegations against Michael Jackson will you still listen to his music or admire what he created? Can we separate parts of who people are, even the most despicable, if there are aspects we admire? I don't claim to have the definitive answer for that. But I do believe in what I said with regard to Trump - he has a clear pattern of behavior toward women that is on record and if you voted for him you either chose to ignore it, you agree with it or you don't consider it an issue when women are treated that way. I don't understand how so many women voted for him given how he has behaved. That one remains extremely puzzling. 

This doesn't make any sense.  Millions more people voted democrat than republican in 2016...you realize that right?

And also, no need to overstate your point.  Yes, some on the left are guilty of trying to shut down conversations they feel are too provocative...but saying that the left is saying that "freedom sucks" is a bridge miles too far.
We all agreed to the rules of the game beforehand. Electoral votes and votes state by state.  Arguing against that again just signals that you think the constitution needs to be done away with. Peope ARE Getting that msg but they are going right not left. 

Ok, now we are making progress on the nuance of WHY... which is why I go back to something with which you take umbrage... that Trump supporters need to own it.  Willingly putting your head in the sand does not change who and what you support, and how that reflects upon you.

If how it reflects upon you is upsetting, then either the people pointing out the ugly reality are just wrong and it's not that ugly a reality, or it's time for you to recognize the underlying realities and react accordingly. 

Or, as I and others have said, just own it. 
And like I've said, why would you own something you don't believe is true?

It's great that you, a liberal, believe it's true.  But why should they take your belief about them and own it, when it's not their belief?

If you can't convince them that what your saying is true, they will never own it.  Instead of just repeatedly saying that a group of folks should "own it", the work the left needs to do is present a case strong enough, and in such a way that the right accepts it.  I don't believe that's currently possible with how far in the sand their heads are buried, but that's the work required, not just saying "own our beliefs about the guy you voted for in spite of the fact that you don't agree!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread