Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

14 minutes ago, adonis said:

Free market death panels.  If you're old and poor, the free market will get together and decide whether you live or die.  

iPhone 8: Now with death panels!

• Like 1
  • Replies 141.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SaintsInDome2006

• Henry Ford

• packersfan

• timschochet

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't know for a while, but my final chemo treatment was a week and a half ago, the side effects are subsiding, and I feel better than I have in a long time. Thanks for asking.

So that whole, "I bet you wimps would never challenge big, bad Donald physically" stuff got me thinking last night. I sincerely believe that I could defeat an entire gauntlet of all living Presid

You kidding?  For those on the right, the past 8 years the supporters have been focused almost totally on how much the democrats were the enemy.  It was on fox news, on talk radio, on the breitbart an

15 minutes ago, squistion said:

And occasionally we have had some white nationalists on this forum (which could be inferred from their beliefs) and none of them were from the south IIRC. For example, SIDA lives here in Southern California (Santa Monica?) and was always talking about his white pride, white culture and nationalism (although, to be fair, he never actually labeled himself a white nationalist and denied that he was one). He also belonged to some fringe alt-right group that he refused to give the name of because at some rally they held they were attacked by "Democrats, leftists and minorities" and there was supposedly news footage out there he said would allow people here to identify him.

Anyway, you point is well taken that racism/nationalism are everywhere in this country, including The Corn Belt.

Let's not pretend that racism exists only in just the south - and while there are degrees and many shades of grey, let's also not ignore the significant racism among Liberals and certain communities that align with the left... some have learned the decorum to talk the talk better, but beneath is just as much fear of their daughter hooking up with a black guy, hate toward Arab and Muslim populations and other discriminatory thoughts and behaviours.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Koya said:

Really? Seems a number of folks agree with me. 

More importantly some, like @adonis, have replied in a legitimate and thoughtful manner. Which, in turn, made me think inwardly about my approach. He has earned that respect. 

The smiley faced crew? Couldn't much care as they have done anything but earn respect. Those like Adonis do make me think about my faults as how I could be a more impactful and positive force on this board and elsewhere. That, unlike the smiley faced crew, is something we should all appreciate. 

I think about how much I've learned on this board from people willing to take the time with me to talk me out of some strongly held incorrect views.  I'll likely never meet any of them, but it was only through their attempts to explain to me, someone who actually cares about truth, about why I was wrong.

I think as a society we've moved more into a position of sharing conclusions with each other without the ability/desire/effort to share discussions about how we got to those conclusions, and additionally, be open to the idea that we may be wrong about our own approaches.  It's nothing new really, to society or to even think this, but more and more I see folks just sharing conclusions rather than being willing to do the more deep work of sharing how they arrived at those conclusions, and being willing to have their own thoughts challenged and give the challenges a reasonable hearing.

Truth, to me, is paramount...and I like to think that at our best, we can approach dialogue with other people as something like the scientific method...where you enter a conversation with a belief/position (hypothesis), you lay out your reasons for believing it (procedure), and then you get a result from someone else who analyzes what you say and provides their own feedback (results).  Then you survey the results, determine whether any improvements can be made to your original hypothesis, and in the end, ideally you come away with a better set of beliefs (conclusions).

I like lobbing grenades from time to time, making jokes, insulting folks...but I do try, when i see someone else is legitimately willing to have a conversation, to do so...in doing so, either I may be able to help them improve their thinking, or they in turn help me improve mine.  It's somewhat more difficult to constantly have your views shown to be wrong, but it's much better that than continuing to believe false things.  So i try to hang around people smarter than me...and on this forum, there's enough of a mix where that's pretty easy.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

We're all on the edge of our seats waiting for your next over the top, ridiculous, non-sensical post telling everyone else what they think for them.

Never told anyone, including you, what to think. Never told anyone "why" they voted for someone. 

I have and will mention how each reflects upon you and others.  And I will point out clear commonalities that can be surmised by people's comments and actions on here and can be deducted by who/what issues they support. 

Neither of those are telling you nor anyone else why they voted as they did (though we can certainly make some educated guesses) nor is it telling you what you think. You do a pretty solid job of that yourself. 

Example, calling someone out for supporting a misogynistic ####### who is a fraud and as part of his platform utilized racist and nationalist language while following a clear fascist playbook (like, literally) is not telling you "how" to think. It IS pointing out a truism, but that's all. Maybe by calling out the obvious, some people feel less uncomfortable diverting from the underlying substance of the discussion by claiming I'm "telling them" how to think... but I'm not. 

Think what you wish, just be prepared to be embarrassed* by me pointing out what is being said. 

*emarassed for ME of course. Just to clarify. :coffee: 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, adonis said:

I think about how much I've learned on this board from people willing to take the time with me to talk me out of some strongly held incorrect views.  I'll likely never meet any of them, but it was only through their attempts to explain to me, someone who actually cares about truth, about why I was wrong.

I think as a society we've moved more into a position of sharing conclusions with each other without the ability/desire/effort to share discussions about how we got to those conclusions, and additionally, be open to the idea that we may be wrong about our own approaches.  It's nothing new really, to society or to even think this, but more and more I see folks just sharing conclusions rather than being willing to do the more deep work of sharing how they arrived at those conclusions, and being willing to have their own thoughts challenged and give the challenges a reasonable hearing.

Truth, to me, is paramount...and I like to think that at our best, we can approach dialogue with other people as something like the scientific method...where you enter a conversation with a belief/position (hypothesis), you lay out your reasons for believing it (procedure), and then you get a result from someone else who analyzes what you say and provides their own feedback (results).  Then you survey the results, determine whether any improvements can be made to your original hypothesis, and in the end, ideally you come away with a better set of beliefs (conclusions).

I like lobbing grenades from time to time, making jokes, insulting folks...but I do try, when i see someone else is legitimately willing to have a conversation, to do so...in doing so, either I may be able to help them improve their thinking, or they in turn help me improve mine.  It's somewhat more difficult to constantly have your views shown to be wrong, but it's much better that than continuing to believe false things.  So i try to hang around people smarter than me...and on this forum, there's enough of a mix where that's pretty easy.

All of this is appreciated. If you are ever in Dallas and I'm not going to a strip club with @rockaction and @Joe T I'll buy drinks.

If I AM going to a strip club with these mutha####as, join us all the more... but you can buy drinks. 

:banned: 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

And you know Saints, from now on whenever somebody makes the bogus charge that racism and white nationalism is generally a southern thing, bringing up Steve King from Iowa should make them shut up.

Or just watch the tenacity and aggression of the Chicago crowds when MLK marched there.  Can someone remind me again why white people were so angry?   Seriously...watch the video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKApBzO9C0

16 minutes ago, Koya said:

All of this is appreciated. If you are ever in Dallas and I'm not going to a strip club with @rockaction and @Joe T I'll buy drinks.

If I AM going to a strip club with these mutha####as, join us all the more... but you can buy drinks. 

:banned: 

I kind of like this idea, though I'm not sure how I'll be in Dallas. Had a great friend who lived in Dallas, BTW. That was years ago, though. 

Anyway, best of luck with what you're doing.  

:D

9 minutes ago, 3C's said:

Trump complains about all the leaks in DC. It's interesting that there have been no leaks to help validate his "wiretapping" claim.

This is like a Punch`n`Judy show.

- IIRC yesterday Spicer claimed Trump wasn't claiming he was tapp-ed.

Then Hannity claimed that it was the media's fault that Trump claimed that.

Now they have prove there was a tapp after all?

Ok, bs `til proved otherwise, which is the general rule.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Apparently the "proof" now will be that the Russian was surveilled inside Trump tower which equals Obama "tapping" his (Trump) phones inside Trump tower.

10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I kind of like this idea, though I'm not sure how I'll be in Dallas. Had a great friend who lived in Dallas, BTW. That was years ago, though. 

Anyway, best of luck with what you're doing.  

:D

Lol. Or, to borrow an idiom - :lmao: 

i meant @RokNRole but come on down -  DRINKS AND STRIPPERS FOR EVERYONE.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, 3C's said:

TrumpRyancare drops premiums 10% by 2026. Is that like a super Labor Day "sale" after they were jacked up 20%? ;)

More like super Labor Day sale in 30 years. When you've already died from lack of preventative care. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

I'd like to know how things like this work in countries with universal coverage, such as the UK, Canada, Spain and Australia. 

I'll take a stab at this. Back when the ACA was going through 15 months of hearings, PBS asked economist Paul Solman that question:

Paul Solman: The simple answer is that health care is far less expensive everywhere else in the world. One reason often given is the enormous cost of administering a private competitive system like ours. Think of all the people just at insurance companies, trying to figure out what you’re eligible for (and how to save the companies money). Then think of all the people working in hospitals, trying to figure out how to get more money out of the people working at insurance companies.

In addition, there’s the ever-higher price of technology, including pharmaceuticals. We pay top dollar for drugs in America and the government doesn’t use its enormous buying power to force down prices, as other countries do. Plus, unlike most countries the world over, we allow direct advertising to consumers in the US. It all adds up.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

I'll take a stab at this. Back when the ACA was going through 15 months of hearings, PBS asked economist Paul Solman that question:

Health care is an issue that absolutely strikes at my libertarian spirit. Everything tells me less government, more private competitiveness.

until I realize that the motives of the private sector are simple at utter odds with the purpose of health care (the ideal situation is to see a doc as least often as possible and need the least meds and services... which is antithetical to business 101).

as I mentioned before, I began to realize that we would be more free  as individuals by releasing ourselves from the negative impact of free market forces rather than allowing ourselves to be subordinate to those forces. 

Would rather harness the benefits of the market to provide better solutions with more effecient and customer oriented delivery of services and let the overall cost structure and business model be managed in a manner that lowers costs overall while delivering better care, overall. Far more equitable and, IMO, provides for more personal freedom. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I feel sorry for the poor history teachers 20-30 years from now who are going to have to try and explain to children what in the giant F was going on in our country at this time.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

When I think about forever, I get upset. Like the Land O’Lakes butter has that Indian girl, sitting, holding a box. And it has a picture of her on it, holding a box. With a picture of her on it, holding a box. Have you ever noticed that?

-Sally Draper

In southern Ohio, just north of Cincinnati
I beheld a vision, next to the expressway.
Was a 60 foot Jesus, with his hands in the air
looks like he’s carved out of butter,
just like at the state fair

- Heywood Banks.

• Like 2

DUUUUDE...

Maddow irks the crap out of me, but she's been efforting like no one else. 

Its not like her to pimp something without follow through, is it? I mean, old taxes, incomplete taxes... no way this is the "real" thing. 

2 minutes ago, MaxThreshold said:

Wait...people still watch him?

I've been tuning in to her more lately since her reporting on Trump has been stellar. 

Can't watch tonight so I'll be following this thread and Twitter for updates. 

3 minutes ago, packersfan said:

Don't let us down Rachel. If there's nothing there don't hype this. 

I'd be very surprised if there's anything more than just some mild embarrassment in there.  It's a federal income tax. Doesn't show lots of things and nothing it shows can be that incriminating.

wake me when the pee tape comes out.  That's gonna be hilarious.

• Like 2
Just now, TobiasFunke said:

I'd be very surprised if there's anything more than just some mild embarrassment in there. It's a federal income tax. Doesn't show lots of things and nothing it shows can be that incriminating.

wake me when the pee tape comes out. That's gonna be hilarious.

I don't think there is a pee tape.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, packersfan said:

Agreed. Can't believe she'd promote this if there wasn't something there of interest. 

Because it would be news either way?  If his tax returns are squeaky clean, that's huge news....right?

I just want to see how rich he is.  (Or if he's not nearly as rich as he projects). There aren't going to be nefarious links to Russia on his federal tax return.

Edited by shader
14 minutes ago, MaxThreshold said:

I'd like to know how that's legally possible.  Can't wait for the fair and even keeled breakdown of this.

You seem upset. Given the fact that you have stated often your detestation of Donald Trump (you have referred to him as a POS and the devil) shouldn't this please you? 

• Clayton Gray changed the title to The Trump Years- Trump Jr. might have accidentally treasoned. Maybe.
  • Joe Bryant locked this topic