What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (5 Viewers)

I'm fine with the Giants falling in love with Jones. What I'm not fine with is that gettleman severely overestimated other teams interested in him. taking him with Pick 6 when you have pick 17 is something you should be fired for, and hopefully he is soon. also I'm not buying the whole Eli is going to play for a couple of years story. I think if the Giants are something like 2 -6 they might start Jones and see what they got. then again the Giants have not been doing anything logical of late so I am not holding my breath
Here’s the problem.  Let’s assume Eli starts season and we look at their early season schedule.  They can realistically start the season 4-2 now you might be locked into Eli for the entire year..

Not sure whats going on with Mack Wilson but the Giants just threw away another pick on MLB Ryan Connelly who has zero chance of making an impact.

Here’s the problem.  Let’s assume Eli starts season and we look at their early season schedule.  They can realistically start the season 4-2 now you might be locked into Eli for the entire year..
4-2 is a problem?    Seasons not over in early October? That'd be nice.

4-2 is a problem?    Seasons not over in early October? That'd be nice.
My point is you have to sacrifice a season to develop Jones.  So if it’s not 2019 with a mediocre team then you lose all of 2020 so now you have 2 years of average to poor results.  If your plan was to draft Qb then you should have cut Eli saving18.0m. Frees up cap space to acquire some free agents.

Again, Daniel Jones' ceiling from what I read is 'more accurate Ryan Tannehill/less talented Alex Smith'... that's not winning you many games in the future unless you surround him with studs.

My point is you have to sacrifice a season to develop Jones.  So if it’s not 2019 with a mediocre team then you lose all of 2020 so now you have 2 years of average to poor results.  If your plan was to draft Qb then you should have cut Eli saving18.0m. Frees up cap space to acquire some free agents.
Cutting Eli was never an option. Giants do not do dead cap hits like that, never liked to. That's why I keep posting the Cowboys as a model, Mara/Tisch HATE that. Even idiot Gettleman has stated that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares about their schedule? Right now, this is the least talented team in football.

So far the last 1st rounder, the 3rd and 4th rounder look on paper to be really good picks. Dunno about Connelly...

The late 5th rounder is excellent value, but he's a WR... no other DE or OL yet?

EDIT: Wow Giants going HEAVY on corners... just picked another with Corey Ballentine.

So far the last 1st rounder, the 3rd and 4th rounder look on paper to be really good picks. Dunno about Connelly...

The late 5th rounder is excellent value, but he's a WR... no other DE or OL yet?
2nd 1st rounder is not bad ... heard him compared to Haloti Ngata and his NFL comp is Shaun Rogers 

2nd 1st rounder is not bad ... heard him compared to Haloti Ngata and his NFL comp is Shaun Rogers 
Yeah I should've included him. From what I read on boards, Giants brass think he could develop into Snacks but more of a middle disruptor. Interesting

Baker, Beal & Love - I like this, but we need pash rushers.   
Add Ballentine to that list. Just checked his YouTube tape... dude has lateral quickness and is a HITTER. Giants really want their secondary to run stop and light people up.

Yeah I should've included him. From what I read on boards, Giants brass think he could develop into Snacks but more of a middle disruptor. Interesting

Add Ballentine to that list. Just checked his YouTube tape... dude has lateral quickness and is a HITTER. Giants really want their secondary to run stop and light people up.
Yeah does look like another good CB pick ... just wondering why the hell they neglected oline and Mack Wilson 

It's very weird... where are the Hog Molly picks on O and D? Yeah they got Lawrence but they only have 2 picks in the 7th left. O line actually may be done depending on the Giants' pursuit of Mike Remmers.

Giants selections from Round 3-on

Giants selected Notre Dame CB Julian Love with the No. 108 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Love (5’11/195) turned pro as a true junior after making 34 starts in the Irish secondary, amassing five career picks and four fumble recoveries while breaking Notre Dame’s all-time record for pass breakups (44) in only three years. Love’s Combine results were good, not great, running 4.54 but showing elite short-area twitch with a 6.72 three-cone time. Experienced in man and zone coverage and pro-ready from a technique standpoint, Love looks like a future No. 2 NFL corner on college tape, but his speed limitations may eventually push Love to the slot as a Logan Ryan-type player. He'll compete with rookie Deandre Baker, who the Giants selected at the end of Day One.
Giants selected Wisconsin LB Ryan Connelly with the No. 143 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Connelly (6’2/242) walked onto the Badgers’ football team and went on to make 26 starts, tallying 29 career TFLs with six sacks and two forced fumbles at middle linebacker. Although Connelly never earned higher than third-team B1G recognition at Wisconsin, he turned in plus Combine results in the forty (4.66) and three-cone drill (7.09), exhibiting NFL-caliber athleticism. Connelly offers big-league size and movement skills and is a sleeper to earn a defensive role after paying early-career dues on special teams.
Giants selected Auburn WR Darius Slayton with the No. 171 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Slayton (6’1/190) turned pro as a redshirt junior after logging a career 79/1,605/11 (20.3 YPR) receiving line as a starter in all three years. Slayton blazed 4.39 with springy vertical (40 ½") and broad (11’3") jumps at the Combine, confirming on the track the vertical explosiveness to Slayton’s on-field game. Slayton’s ball skills are too inconsistent for early-impact comfort, but his 98th-percentile athleticism and ascending game give Slayton high-end No. 2 wideout potential in the Marvin Jones mold
Giants selected Washburn CB Corey Ballentine with the No. 180 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Ballentine (5’11/196) was a three-year starter in the Ichabods’ secondary, tallying five career picks, four forced fumbles, and four blocked kicks and earning the 2018 Cliff Harris Award as Division 2’s Player of the Year. A high school track star, Ballentine predictably shined at the Combine with 4.47 jets, dynamic vertical (39 ½") and broad (11’3") jumps, and a twitched-up 6.82 three-cone time. On game tape, Ballentine reminds of Asante Samuel as an off-man corner with high-end athleticism, instincts, and playmaking ability whose name would’ve been much bigger in college had he attended a bigger school. He's the third corner taken by the Giants this weekend, joining No. 30 overall pick Deandre Baker and Notre Dame press-corner Julian Love.

According to ESPN the two best DEs left are Jalen Jelks from Oregon and Jonathan Ledbetter from Georgia. If they are there for teh Giants in the 7th they absolutely HAVE TO GET ONE OF THEM. I know you usually go BPA here, but you gotta get ONE DE unless Giants think they can sign a few undrafted.

Giants selected Kentucky OL George Asafo-Adjei with the No. 232 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Asafo-Adjei played right tackle in school but could shift inside in the NFL. He started 23 games over the course of his career. Surprisingly this is the first offensive lineman the Giants selected in the 2019 draft.
I saw that article on Hogs Heaven, looks like he could supplant Chad Wheeler at RT real soon according to tape. I love that RotoWorld is taking an L on his draft history.

Another Defensive Tackle??? Are the Giants going back to a 4-3 and I missed it?

Giants selected Syracuse DT Chris Slayton with the No. 245 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Slayton (6'4"/307) had a productive tenure in Central New York, logging 104 tackles, 7.5 sacks and four forced fumbles over 43 career games for the Orange. He served as the team's defensive captain while being recognized as an All-ACC Honorable Mention in 2018. The 22-year-old also competed in the East/West Shrine Game this past January. Slayton flashed impressive strength and power at Syracuse, though his middling athleticism and lack of consistency prevented him from going higher in the draft.

Giants UDFAs:

Rutgers RB Jonathan Hillman

Monmouth WR Reggie White Jr.

Buffalo C James O’Hagan

Missouri T Paul Adams

Texas-San Antonio LB Josiah Tauaefa

LI-Post CB Jake Carlock

Northern Colorado WR Alex Wesley

Kentucky TE C.J. Conrad

Purdue S Jacob Thieneman

Alabama LB Jamey Mosley  (CJ's brother)

LSU S John Battle

Akron CB Kyron Brown

Central Florida OT Wyatt Miller

Wake Forest WR Greg Dortch

So as of now Chad Wheeler is still the starting RT. I thought they would have drafted one

I guess they will go after Remmers assuming his back is ok.

So as of now Chad Wheeler is still the starting RT. I thought they would have drafted one

I guess they will go after Remmers assuming his back is ok.
George Asafo-Adjei  solidified his game at RT even though he started elsewhere on the line. Check his profile, he could win the job in camp.

Giants UDFAs:

Rutgers RB Jonathan Hillman

Monmouth WR Reggie White Jr.

Buffalo C James O’Hagan

Missouri T Paul Adams

Texas-San Antonio LB Josiah Tauaefa

LI-Post CB Jake Carlock

Northern Colorado WR Alex Wesley

Kentucky TE C.J. Conrad

Purdue S Jacob Thieneman

Alabama LB Jamey Mosley  (CJ's brother)

LSU S John Battle

Akron CB Kyron Brown

Central Florida OT Wyatt Miller

Wake Forest WR Greg Dortch
At least some of these guys were signed by the Jets 

• Alabama LB Jamey Mosley  (CJ's brother)
  • LSU S John Battle
  • Akron CB Kyron Brown - Dolphins
  • Central Florida OT Wyatt Miller
  • Wake Forest WR Greg Dortch

The Frankman said:
Again, Daniel Jones' ceiling from what I read is 'more accurate Ryan Tannehill/less talented Alex Smith'... that's not winning you many games in the future unless you surround him with studs.

Cutting Eli was never an option. Giants do not do dead cap hits like that, never liked to. That's why I keep posting the Cowboys as a model, Mara/Tisch HATE that. Even idiot Gettleman has stated that.
I get the Giants don't like dead cap hits. But not cutting Eli makes no logical sense based on their other decisions:

By trading OBJ and drafting a rookie QB with their first pick, to me, they are conceding they are not in a win now mode but in a rebuilding mode. If they are in a rebuilding mode, they can either pay Eli his 23 million and have him play this year, or cut him and save $12 million against the cap which can be rolled into the future to HELP WITH YOUR REBUILDING!!! The longer the Giants do this hybrid of sort of playing to win now and sort of rebuilding, the longer it will be until they are relevent again.

Giants will be a much better team this year than last and possibly make the playoffs with Eli at the helm.

Aside from the 1st pick I though the Giants had  a very good draft ...until they started getting shot.

I like Jones as much as any QB other than Murray but I am sure they could have gotten him lower ... if not Haskins or Lock in the 2nd would have been sufficient. I personally would have waited until next season but I think they can win with Jones. 

Other than blowing 1st pick and pick in rd 5  LB RYAN CONNELLY ... think this was a throw away pick (god knows why they didn't take Mack Wilson here) ... Thought it was a very strong draft 

Giants signed fourth-round CB Julian Love, seventh-round OG George Asafo-Adjei and seventh-round DT Chris Slayton to four-year contracts.

Love (5’11/195) turned pro as a true junior after making 34 starts in the Irish secondary, amassing five career picks and four fumble recoveries while breaking Notre Dame’s all-time record for pass breakups (44) in only three years. Love’s Combine results were good, not great, running 4.54 but showing elite short-area twitch with a 6.72 three-cone time. Experienced in man and zone coverage and pro-ready from a technique standpoint, Love looks like a future No. 2 NFL corner on college tape.
It's notable because after trying to watch as much tape and read draft coverage the last week as I have, I've come to a few conclusions.

a) The Giants are trying to create a good young cover unit that will mitigate the need for a huge pass rush up front by being aggressive on the perimeter, solid against the run and blitz safeties and corners.

b) I've come around on the DeAndre Baker pick. Dude has the talent to be a shutdown corner and WANTS to be one. Check out some of DeAndre Baker's his tape/vids here. Julian Love has a chance to start Game One also.

Giants: 5 things we learned at rookie minicamp (5/4)

3. Love getting look at safety. Cornerback Julian Love, a fourth-round pick, left Notre Dame as the school’s all-time leader in pass breakups. The 5-foot-11, 195-pound rookie might be putting those skills to use at safety for the Giants, who acquired a pair of high-profile players at the position this offseason in Jabrill Peppers and Antoine Bethea, as Landon Collins signed with the Redskins. After the draft, Shurmur said Love “can play in the slot. He can play high. He's kind of got that tweener kind of corner/safety ability, which makes him a unique player for us.” Love is open to playing free safety. He has some experience at the position, starting there against the triple-option offenses of Army and Navy. The Giants moved him around “quite a bit” on Friday from corner to nickel to safety. He was ready for it.

“It doesn’t surprise me,” he said. “I think my skillset kind of fits that of a free safety – smart, physical, and range on the field.”

Love is currently rooming with cornerback DeAndre Baker, whom the Giants picked near the end of the first round after trading up for him. They previously knew each other from college awards banquets, which included Baker winning the Jim Thorpe Award over Love as the best defensive back in college football.

“I think he kind of has that dog mindset,” Love said of Baker. “He’ll tell you that he’s very confident, very physical, likes to attack. And I like that in players. I need that next to me because that inspires people, that helps people grow, helps people go fast as well.”

4. Big George competing for right tackle job. From left to right, the Giants have overhauled their offensive line over the last two offseasons. They signed left tackle Nate Solder, drafted left guard Will Hernandez, re-signed centers Spencer Pulley and Jon Halapio, and acquired veteran right guard Kevin Zeitler in the trade with the Browns. The incumbent at right tackle is Chad Wheeler, but the Giants added competition to his position in the draft when they selected George Asafo-Adjei in the seventh round. The Giants liked the Kentucky product’s toughness while playing in the SEC, including practicing against teammate Josh Allen, who was picked right after Jones by the Jaguars. Nothing changed the Giants’ thinking from then until now. He is lining up at right tackle and will compete for the job.

“He is a powerful guy that has very good length,” Shurmur said Saturday. “You can tell he is a very physical style player. That is important at the position.”
Good... good...

Giants signed RB Rod Smith, formerly of the Cowboys.

The G-Men have next to nothing behind Saquon Barkley, and Smith doesn’t really change that fact. He’ll compete with Wayne Gallman, Paul Perkins, and others for Barkley’s backup spots. Smith sports a career 101-364-5 rushing line across 49 games.
I want to say this is gamesmanship, but I think there are carries to be had behind Saquon and maybe this lights a fire under Wayne Gallman Jr.

IMO the Giants should have taken a RB like Justice Hill at the end of the 3rd to improve the depth chart behind Barkley.  They got rid of the only real playmaker in the passing game in Beckham and are so committed to basing the offense on the running game, there's going to be a huge problem if Barkley gets injured.  Barkley is obviously far more talented than any #2 they will have, but their current depth chart is horrible and they lack playmakers in the passing game to shift gears if Barkley gets injured.  They should have improved the RBs via the draft.  They could have also taken Butler to improve their WRs and playmaking ability on offense.  They obviously have so many needs that taking a DE at the end of the 3rd makes sense, but when you take a QB #6 overall, you should provide him with more weapons and depth to work with IMO.

I think Gallman's a pretty good player ...certainly better than Rod Smith.
I like Gallman too.

I think he and Smith will have different roles

Gallman likely to spell Saquon between the 20’s – Smith to spell Saquon in short yardage situations

CBS Sportsline has the Giants ranked next to last in their post draft power ranking. Only the Dolphins are worse. Not to sound to optimistic but I like

the G-Mens chances to outperform their expected output. :yes:

CBS Sportsline has the Giants ranked next to last in their post draft power ranking. Only the Dolphins are worse. Not to sound to optimistic but I like

the G-Mens chances to outperform their expected output. :yes:
Without a doubt ... Giants were under 2 minutes away from going 7-1 the 2nd half of last season. They lost 2 games by 1 pt and 1 game by 3 pts in the final minute or seconds of each game. Giants averaged 34 pts in 3 of the final 4 games without Odell and over 30 pts in 7 of the final 8 games ... So they can score and their line should be much improved.

They butchered their 1st pick of the draft but still had a very strong draft overall. I can see 4 of the draft picks starting or making significant contributions on defense ... DT Lawrence, Baker, Xman and Love. This plus the addition of Golden who should be a significant player on D makes the defense much better than the end of last season  

It's weird that Betcher and the Giants seem to want to build an aggressive, ballhawking secondary seemingly w/o the requisite pass-rushers to do it. They're talking up Markus Golden and moving Dexter Lawrence and B.J. Hill around, but that's really hard to do with such a young unit. Also

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/05/03/PNJM/1cc30cee-6a59-441d-ab1b-d5eeea55e45b-050319_er_giants_08_.JPG?width=520&height=390&fit=bounds&auto=webp

Holy crap I thought this was a Photoshop

Giants signed OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Vikings, to a one-year, $2.5 million contract.

Remmers was strongly linked to the G-Men this offseason prior to undergoing a "minor" back surgery in April. The 29-year-old performed poorly on the interior with the Vikings last season, but a position change back to right tackle plus his familiarity with Pat Shurmur dating back to the coach's final year in Minnesota may be just the changes Remmers needs at this stage of his career. He's currently projected to start the season over RT Chad Wheeler.
It's funny how proactive the Giants have been on their offensive line. All of a sudden not only did they address the starters with this signing, but they fixed the depth with the Halapio/Pulley loser backing up and the rookie RT they got in the draft.

It's funny how proactive the Giants have been on their offensive line. All of a sudden not only did they address the starters with this signing, but they fixed the depth with the Halapio/Pulley loser backing up and the rookie RT they got in the draft.
How much can the depend on a guy who is coming off of back surgery?

How much can the depend on a guy who is coming off of back surgery?
It says it was "minor" back surgery and the deal is only 1 year @ $2.5 million so low risk. He played for Shurmur in MIN and Shula in CAR so not much of a learning curve. Best case - veteran starter and upgrade at RT tackle ... worst case - depth and competition 

The Giants have definitely improved the OL; how much is yet to be determined. Nate Solder is solid at LT.  Hernandez has a year of experience now at LG and played better as his rookie year advanced. Right Guard is improved with addition of Zeitler. And if Remmers is healthy enough to play, he is an improvement playing at RT.  Center is still below average, but overall, this unit should be much better and that should help the whole offense.

The Giants have definitely improved the OL; how much is yet to be determined. Nate Solder is solid at LT.  Hernandez has a year of experience now at LG and played better as his rookie year advanced. Right Guard is improved with addition of Zeitler. And if Remmers is healthy enough to play, he is an improvement playing at RT.  Center is still below average, but overall, this unit should be much better and that should help the whole offense.
Between Halapio and Pulley, you should get at least league average play. Remember, Halapio looked solid before the injury.

Corey Coleman is working as the No. 3 receiver during Giants OTAs.

There is a slew of options behind Sterling Shepard and Golden Tate including fifth-round rookie Darius Slayton, so Coleman is far from guaranteed to keep the No. 3 job throughout the offseason. Still, it is a promising start after his position coach said the former first-rounder has a "big opportunity" this summer. Coleman reaching his potential would be massive for the Odell Beckham-less Giants.

Giants sophomore CB Sam Beal opened OTAs as the starter opposite Janoris Jenkins.

A third-round supplemental pick last July, Beal missed all of his rookie season because of a shoulder injury. He is getting the first crack at the starting job opposite Jenkins, but he will have to hold off first-round rookie Deandre Baker and fourth-round rookie Julian Love to keep that spot. It might not pay off this year, but the Giants have some young talent in the secondary.
Again, Giants are suddenly loaded at CB if Beal recognizes his potential. A refresher:

Western Michigan CB Sam Beal will enter the 2018 supplemental draft.

Beal (6'1/185) was forced to leave Western Michigan for academic issues. He's coming off a second-team All-MAC junior year and had been projected as a top-five corner for the 2019 draft. Beal joins Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander and Mississippi State FS Brandon Bryant in a talented supplemental class. He has mid-round potential.

Beal lived up to the mid-round hype at his Pro Day, running a 4.47 forty with a 37-inch vertical. There's league wide interest in Beal after all 32 teams attended his pre-draft workout. Beal has a chance to be the highest supplemental pick since Josh Gordon was drafted in the second round. Cleveland and Buffalo have been linked as possible Beal landing spots.

The G-Men surrender a 2019 third-round pick to take Beal. At 6'1/185, Beal was forced to leave Western Michigan for academic reasons. He was projected as a top-five player at his position heading into next year's draft, so this could be a steal for the Giants if it pans out. Beal has yet to turn 22 years old and is fresh off a 4.47 forty and 37-inch vertical at his Pro Day. Beal should compete with the likes of William Gay for snaps behind Janoris Jenkins and possibly Eli Apple. The talent is there for Beal to make an immediate impact, though corner is a tough NFL transition. Beal is obviously already behind after not taking part in spring work.

Giants signed CB Sam Beal to a four-year, $4.08 million contract.

The deal includes a $1,048,940 signing bonus. Beal was selected in the third round of last week's Supplemental Draft following a a standout junior year at Western Michigan that saw him earn second-team All-MAC honors. An elite athlete with 4.47 wheels, Beal will begin his career as a backup to Janoris Jenkins and Eli Apple.

Again, Giants are suddenly loaded at CB if Beal recognizes his potential. A refresher:
I'm pretty excited about the Giants right now. Maybe I'm being over optimistic but from 2nd half last season till now I think the Giants have improved significantly.

Was looking at the PFF ranking for Giants O'line last season they were way down at the bottom first half of the season Around 25-27 range and ended up 21 overall. Then added this beast 

https://www.google.com/search?q=kevin+zeitler&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS769US770&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7re6h8KriAhUDd98KHQIOCdkQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=1097#imgrc=WQiVnpAYx9eaWM:

And Remmers to improve 2 of the weakest links from last season 

I think they are going to easily be a top 15-10  Oline if healthy 

Giants seem like a real happy family right now 

DBs look great from what I've been hearing. Peppers is all over the place and a vocal leader. Bethea been the mentor,. Beal starting at CB and has looked great. Baker has looked great and Love has been versatile. 

The attendance has been near 100% 

And Odell has shown up for 1 of his 6 OTAs ... good riddance! 

Eli had has worst QB rating when throwing to Odell. That maniac would destroy a rookie QB before he even got started.

Because he pressured Eli into to throwing the ball to him and would rant and rave if he didn’t. So Eli would force it I to Odell whether he was open or not resulting in a lower QB rating.

if he could screw up a veteran like Eli imagine what he would do to an I experienced rookie QB

Users who are viewing this thread