What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (4 Viewers)

Thoughts on Engram ROS. Encouraging Week 1.  However they were playing catchup, assuming they do this more this year.

Golden Tate coming back in a few weeks, Barkley always there to take 10+ catches any week,  Eli being Eli, Jones potentially could help or hinder Engram.

Trying to decide if I should go after Kelce or not using Engram or if the gap will be narrowed and Engram can end up top 2-3.  Shallow lineup league so TE advantage is huge.
I don't think you will see Engram getting as many targets as he got this past week but I would expect them to start throwing downfield more to him and his yds per catch to go up.

He'll continue to be a red zone target but he's not going to be Travis Kelce and he doesnt have Mahomes throwing to him. I'd expect about 70 850 and 10 tds if he stays healthy.

Giants re-signed WR T.J. Jones.

The 27-year-old spent the summer with the Giants and had a huge preseason with a 12-146-2 receiving line. His return could be a sign Sterling Shepard (concussion) may not be ready for Week 2 against the Bills.
He shouldn't have been cut IMHO.

Giants placed OLB Kareem Martin (knee) on injured reserve.

Martin was considered week to week with a sprained knee, and there's a chance the Giants release him with an injury settlement shortly. Martin's roster spot will go to recent signee WR T.J. Jones.
Injury settlement incoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Secondary was by far the biggest disappointment. After all the preseason hype and personnel investment ... they were absolutely disgusting!!!!

• Hamilton should not be on the field ... ever! Why was he?
  • I don't think Love or  Ballentine  played  a defensive snap ...Why?
  • Peppers did nothing other than make tackles 10-20 yds downfield  
  • Bethea looked old and slow 
  • Baker got tortured regularly 
  • Even Jenkins got abused on a few plays 
Not 1 good thing that I could say about the secondary 
I'm trying to fight my Buffalo bias, but I'm strongly considering starting Allen over Newton this week because of this.

Sam Darnold Could Be Out 'Several Weeks' With Mononucleosis

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/12/sam-darnold-out-several-weeks-mononucleosis-trevor-siemian-starting/

Think we are already seeing the beginning of the End of Darnold ... I was not a fan of Darnold to begin with but I have to admit I didnt think it would unravel this quickly. They pulled this every time Darnold laid an egg last season and it's already starting after one bad outing this season.  What better excuse to bench a guy for multiple weeks than Mono ? LOL!

Been an Eli supporter and i think it was the right thing to give him a couple of games but ...

It's Time!
I think it will be week 7, home against Arizona.  I'd imagine 1-5 by then.

10 days to prepare after a thursday night game in New England.  

"Who can cover somebody for 10 seconds?" [Janoris]Jenkins said. "Go look at it within the first five seconds of the route. He's not open. If he scrambles and we ain't got no pressure, what you want me to do? I can't cover this side and that side. C’mon, bro. We got to play football around here."

https://nypost.com/2019/09/15/finger-pointing-is-underway-in-giants-locker-room/

Can't say I disagree with him, but better to keep that in the lockeroom.

I think it will be week 7, home against Arizona.  I'd imagine 1-5 by then.

10 days to prepare after a thursday night game in New England.  
I hope they don't wait that long ... they could beat Tampa and Wash @ home. Eli just looks so uninspired throwing balls at the back of Saquan's feet and floating passes into the Dline even when he seems to have time. The  Giants Oline has actually looked really good ... they are protecting Eli and giving him time and he does nothing with it.

monk said:
I hope they don't wait that long ... they could beat Tampa and Wash @ home. Eli just looks so uninspired throwing balls at the back of Saquan's feet and floating passes into the Dline even when he seems to have time. The  Giants Oline has actually looked really good ... they are protecting Eli and giving him time and he does nothing with it.
Don't you think he's missed Tate these first two weeks, and especially missed him and Shepherd yesterday? I see no point to rolling out Jones until you have a full complement of receivers. It's clear this season is lost, with the defense clearly overmatched. Lack of pass rush was a huge concern I had coming into the season, and it's clearly not going to get better any time soon if at all.

Don't you think he's missed Tate these first two weeks, and especially missed him and Shepherd yesterday? I see no point to rolling out Jones until you have a full complement of receivers. It's clear this season is lost, with the defense clearly overmatched. Lack of pass rush was a huge concern I had coming into the season, and it's clearly not going to get better any time soon if at all.
I didn't watch the entire game yesterday but what I did see was hard to watch. 

Of course Eli is missing those guys but it's the BS little things that he is doing so poorly that are the problem. The delay of games, the panicked throw aways, the Intl grounding, lazy throws into the line of scrimmage , doesn't even try to extend plays, no reasonable shots downfield. He has had great protection he needs to make something happen  

I thought the pass rush improved a lot from week 1 ...  they had 3 sacks 6 qb hits and 5 tackles for loss but they only had 1 PD ? That's insane. I saw a few play where the Giants had pressure but Allen threw immediately to wide open receivers ...usually Beasley for a 1st down on 3rd and long

Where the Hell is Jabrill ... this guy has been the invisible man! He hasn't even come close to making a big play ... the only time he is around the ball is when he is making a tackle 10 yards down field  .... 6 tackles (3-3) gains of 8, 9, 9, 51, 8, 3)  

Deandre baker has to be shell shocked ...I  never saw someone so hyped get abused the way he is. This is the guy who didn't let up a TD against SEC teams since his Freshman year ???? He's making up for that now ...  he's making me miss Eli Apple if that's even possible. 

I watched the entire game... Eli wasn't the problem. The horrendous defense that can't stop anymore and intercommunicated constantly is.

Hey, I'm not excusing Eli. He can't make plays with his feet and the line has gotten a pass but wasn't great on Sunday. But if they make the switch to Jones at least wait until Week 5 when Tate is back, Sheperd is healthy and Latimer is back. Giants Top 5 WRs to start camp are all out right now. The Bills constantly doubled Engram and Barkley, and Eli had to pass to Bennie Fowler and Latimer to try and loosen things up. The reason Barkley wasn't a factor much in the pass game was because they had half the LB core gunning for him all game.

Eli didn't play great, but really no one did. The D is a total train wreck. I thought giving up the long drives last week was bad. I had no doubt that Buffalo was going to score on the eventual 98 yard drive. Yeah, injuries/peds haven't helped a thin WR corps, but that doesn't excuse 4 batted balls. Eli wasn't helped with some horrible drops, but Eli isn't making anyone better either.

I am a huge Eli fan. I remember, all too well, what life was like pre-Eli. When even a 5 yard penalty was the end of the drive, when everything had to be perfect on offense. But I think it is time. Let Jones start learning with real first string defenses who've game planned against him. The games are lost already. This defense can't stop anyone. Doesn't matter who is back there throwing for the Giants. Might as well start the learning process, no need to delay the inevitable.

I am bummed. An end of an era. I am hoping this isn't the start of another era of craptastic QBs. Dave Brown. Jessie Palmer. Danny Kannel. Ugh. These guy's "exploits" are burned into my subconscious. I don't want to go back to that. 

With that said, QB is the least most important position on this team right now. The D is no where near competitive. No QB could make a difference until that unit can start to show some fight. I am happy that Jones has a line that can keep him upright at least.

Hopefully this helps Engram. Was really hoping for a top 3 type breakout. Lots of good TE's to vault into that range.  Eli was at least targeting him.

IrishTwinkie said:
I am bummed. An end of an era. I am hoping this isn't the start of another era of craptastic QBs. Dave Brown. Jessie Palmer. Danny Kannel. Ugh. These guy's "exploits" are burned into my subconscious. I don't want to go back to that. 

With that said, QB is the least most important position on this team right now. The D is no where near competitive. No QB could make a difference until that unit can start to show some fight. I am happy that Jones has a line that can keep him upright at least.
I am bummed too. However, that should make you happy. As an Eagle fan, I am going to miss Eli and his 4-18 record against the Eagles in his last 22 games.  I don't know if Jones is going to be great, but he won't have to do much to be better than what Eli was in the last few years.

Yenrub said:
I guess now all the QB roll outs that Shurmur likes to call will finally make sense
You know you can roll out to avoid pressure right? You don't have to roll out to run. Eli would've taken more abuse if he didn't roll out some of those plays.

You know you can roll out to avoid pressure right? You don't have to roll out to run. Eli would've taken more abuse if he didn't roll out some of those plays.
I was talking specifically about the CALLED roll outs for slow of foot 38 year old QB. Those play calls made little to no sense.

It's pretty much the same thing; to get away from pressure or at least roll away from the pass rush and get a strongside advantage with his WRs, who in this situation are running crossing patters or slants. You don't roll out to the side with less WRs unless you're scheming a mismatch.

It's pretty much the same thing; to get away from pressure or at least roll away from the pass rush and get a strongside advantage with his WRs, who in this situation are running crossing patters or slants. You don't roll out to the side with less WRs unless you're scheming a mismatch.
You don’t call roll outs for a QB who isn’t capable of rolling out

Shaun O’Hara said the same thing on ‘Golic and Wingo’ this morning

Kinda worried about Engram with a rookie QB, who can run, Barkley obviously and now Shepard healthy with Tate coming back?  Is it time to sell in re-draft or is he clearly TE4 rest of the way with Howard disappointing and Hunter Henry hurt.

Wow ... Just Wow!
Wear plastic sheathing tomorrow when reading the press... the gushing will be over the top. The Giants really didn't deserve to win that. Not with giving up as many yards to Evans as they did. Jenkins was beaten like a rented mule. But the delay of game penalty? Inexcusable. The Bucs deserved to miss that kick. Just really poor execution there. Jones needs to learn to hang on to the ball.

ETA: 

That delay of game was intentional?! File this in the "Dumb coach decision" thread. Wow.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854853-bruce-arians-says-he-purposely-took-delay-of-game-penalty-before-matt-gay-miss?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Wear plastic sheathing tomorrow when reading the press... the gushing will be over the top. The Giants really didn't deserve to win that. Not with giving up as many yards to Evans as they did. Jenkins was beaten like a rented mule. But the delay of game penalty? Inexcusable. The Bucs deserved to miss that kick. Just really poor execution there. Jones needs to learn to hang on to the ball.

ETA: 

That delay of game was intentional?! File this in the "Dumb coach decision" thread. Wow.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854853-bruce-arians-says-he-purposely-took-delay-of-game-penalty-before-matt-gay-miss?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. Jones was great in his debut, sure he has to clean up the ball security but you couldn't ask for much more of a rookie making his 1st start. It was nice to see a QB with the ability to make plays with his legs.

The defense was terrible.....in the 1st half. 2nd half they held the Bucs to 3 points (should have been 6 points but I'll take it). I'm not sure if they really figured something out in the 2nd half or the Bucs let off the gas but it was nice to see them not give up points in the 2nd half.  

ETA: 

Jenkins was a disgrace ... but the Giants certainly deserved to win ...  after all they scored more pts than the opposing team and that's kind a the idea.

I think the PI reversal on Peppers was BS that's not what the review was put in place for. The exact thing happened to Slayton earlier in the game and the Giants didn't review (they shouldnt have) and then the lost a review on a play that was also PI in slow motion ... It was put in place to stop obviously terrible calls like the one that happened in the playoffs and the refs did not reverse anything in the preseason unless it was a blatantly blown call.

Bucs had at least all couple of obvious off-sides that were not called 

Whats the matter with you ... the Patriots were shut out for first time ever at Gillette Stadium and the 1st time since 2006 under Brissett ...against the Bills!?

Brissett has a 2.5 TD%  for his career ... he's terrible ! that's worse than Josh Rosen as a rookie with the Cardinals who were the worst team in the NFL last year 

Not sure why you are such a Brissett fan but you'd better hurry out and get his Jersey before they are all gone  ...they are flying off the shelves 
Hows that "journeyman" Brissett looking through 3 games? 

Like a journeyman coming off a good game ... or Fitzmagical 
Well, he has a 112 QB rating after 3 games, so it is more than just one good game.

I think you may be underestimating the affect of Frank Reich on QB's. In 2017, Wentz was the frontrunner for MVP when he got hurt. Foles had great games in the NFC championship and Super Bowl. In 2018, Andrew Luck had the highest completion percentage and QB rating of his career. And now Brissett this year. The only QB who had a subpar year under Reich was Wentz in his rookie year of 2016 and he had an awful group of wide receivers and mediocre running backs to work with.

When the FG kicker misses 2 XP and a chippie FG... hard to say you deserve to win. Giants deserved to win like 3-4 games last year and were killed in a similar manner, only the kicker made the kicks. That's luck sometimes...

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/1176602435244232709

The Giants worked out free agent RBs Zach Zenner, Benny Cunningham and Fozzy Whittaker on Tuesday.

Those names aren't going to move the needle in the Giants' post-Saquon Barkley backfield. Zenner is probably the most capable at this stage.
Yikes, so basically no competition for Gallman. Isn't Jay Ayaji still around that they could've paid a prorated contract for?

Rather than get down about the RB, it would seem to be a time of optimism and a glimpse of brighter days ahead. This guy reminded me a little bit of another Giants' QB from the 80s, his poise and leadership, awareness to take what was given to him, confidence to execute plays and finish drives to keep them in the football game, winning on road down-18 1st game out of the box. Super impressive and could change the entire arc of their season. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Rather than get down about the RB, it would seem to be a time of optimism and a glimpse of brighter days ahead. This guy reminded me a little bit of another Giants' QB from the 80s, his poise and leadership, awareness to take what was given to him, confidence to execute plays and finish drives to keep them in the football game, winning on road down-18 1st game out of the box. Super impressive and could change the entire arc of their season. 
Scott Brunner or Jeff Rutledge? 😀

Users who are viewing this thread