What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (6 Viewers)

I don't think he is pushing Baker into nickel/dime coverages ... Baker pushed Beal out during preseaon and has more game experience then Beal. Baker has been playing much better the last 2-3 games.  

I think the Giants will look to move Jenkins to a contender for a pick if Beal can stay on the field. Than Hopefully get Love and Ballentine involved in nickle dime coverages 
Don't kid yourself on that. Instead of getting flamed by top WRs he now is getting torched by the Cole Beasleys, Olabsi Johnsons, and Jakobi Meyers of the world. If the Giants were smart they'd pull the reins back on Baker until he starts doing well on the 3rd string guys and occasionally rotate Baker in. DeAndre Baker is giving up the most Yards Per Target in the NFL right now (13.1).

Don't kid yourself on that. Instead of getting flamed by top WRs he now is getting torched by the Cole Beasleys, Olabsi Johnsons, and Jakobi Meyers of the world. If the Giants were smart they'd pull the reins back on Baker until he starts doing well on the 3rd string guys and occasionally rotate Baker in. DeAndre Baker is giving up the most Yards Per Target in the NFL right now (13.1).
I'm hoping they see enough in Baker and Beal to move Janoris for a 3rd.

I'm hoping they see enough in Baker and Beal to move Janoris for a 3rd.
I mean I think that has the be the end result. Giant would have like 4 corners not including Grant Haley (Baker/Beal/Ballentine/Love). Considering they are in rebuiid mode it's time to move Jackrabbit.

Giants looked like absolute Garbage.

Oline was the worst it's been all season.

Danny Dimes is looking way too much like Eli ... He really looks like crap making horrible throws, cant hold on to the damn ball, and is only looking at 1 side of the field.   

Play calling was horrific ... Pocket was getting collapsed on every damn play but the Giants continued to do the same thing over and over ... Why not roll out to buy some time? It worked the couple of times that they did.  Giants continue to unsuccessfully try to run up the middle 

Against a team in "our tier" - we looked bad.     Shurmur/Bettcher combo will not get us where we need to go.   Gettleman drafting looks alright but questionable on the FA signings to say the least.

Danny Dimes is looking way too much like Eli ... He really looks like crap making horrible throws, cant hold on to the damn ball, and is only looking at 1 side of the field.   

Play calling was horrific ... Pocket was getting collapsed on every damn play but the Giants continued to do the same thing over and over ... Why not roll out to buy some time? It worked the couple of times that they did.  Giants continue to unsuccessfully try to run up the middle 
Much worse than Eli; he never had ball security issues this bad. But Jones hasn't looked good in awhile, it's the same issues plaguing him. He can't diagnose pressure at all and he's not going through progressions or is not trusted to go through them.

🤣 Shurmur called too many rollouts with the non mobile Eli and now he doesn't call enough with the mobile DJ. 

🤣 Shurmur called too many rollouts with the non mobile Eli and now he doesn't call enough with the mobile DJ. 
Because the Eli rollouts were mainly to roll him away from pressure. He probably thinks he doesn't need to do it that much with Jones, so he's cutting back on them.

Because the Eli rollouts were mainly to roll him away from pressure. He probably thinks he doesn't need to do it that much with Jones, so he's cutting back on them.
The offensive line hasn’t changed any so I’m not sure why he would have that impression

Lol, too early for this call.  Haskins your guy?
Nope, thought every qb this draft was a turd in a punch bowl.

*edit - Murray has the best chance at a good, maybe great, early career but he's not built to hold up

Last edited by a moderator:
I really got the sense that Shurmur is in over his head this game. His insistence on challenging the PI calls is baffling. Unless it is Saints/Rams bad, the refs will NOT be overturning these PI calls. It is obvious and has been obvious for weeks. IE: If the miss is so bad as to dominate the press for weeks, sure toss the challenge flags. Otherwise, suck it up already. How many more times does he need to fail on this judgement before he learns?! And I don't even want to think about the draw play on 3 and forever knowing he was going for it on 4th day no matter what. Just plain stupid there. 

Ugh. This team has so many problems. 

I really got the sense that Shurmur is in over his head this game. His insistence on challenging the PI calls is baffling. Unless it is Saints/Rams bad, the refs will NOT be overturning these PI calls. It is obvious and has been obvious for weeks. IE: If the miss is so bad as to dominate the press for weeks, sure toss the challenge flags. Otherwise, suck it up already. How many more times does he need to fail on this judgement before he learns?! And I don't even want to think about the draw play on 3 and forever knowing he was going for it on 4th day no matter what. Just plain stupid there. 

Ugh. This team has so many problems. 
I agree he seems to be in over his head. He should give up the play calling duties and work on his clock management.

Down 3 with 4 and half minutes left, why call timeout prior to Arizona punting? Save that timeout so that if you don’t do anything on the next drive (which they didn’t) you have the option to punt the ball and play defense.

The draw play made no sense. If they were going to run a draw, the time to do it would have been the play right before the 2 minute warning (after the poor decision to return the kick)

I agree he seems to be in over his head. He should give up the play calling duties and work on his clock management.

Down 3 with 4 and half minutes left, why call timeout prior to Arizona punting? Save that timeout so that if you don’t do anything on the next drive (which they didn’t) you have the option to punt the ball and play defense.

The draw play made no sense. If they were going to run a draw, the time to do it would have been the play right before the 2 minute warning (after the poor decision to return the kick)
Heck, I am reading the post-game stuff now. “It played out exactly how I would have hoped". Really dude? Giving the Cards the ball and letting them screw it up was your master plan? He is just digging the hole deeper. I was shaking my head after the game, this quote is just  unacceptable. Pure lunacy.

Not liking what is developing with this coaching staff. From Shurmur on down. Slowly getting some good young talent but the coaching seems a mess. Tate was correct,the Giants made the Cardinals defense look like the 85 bears. Something sucks. The scheme,no adjustments,all of it. I don't see any improvement until this staff is sent packing.

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/daniel-jones-has-shown-flashes-of-brilliance-but-needs-to-cut-back-on-turnovers-if-giants-are-to-win/311231256/

Jones is a rookie, and rookie quarterback struggle. He shows flashes of brilliance, but those can't overcome the things he continues to do wrong.

"I think I'm making progress in some areas," Jones said after the Giants' third straight loss, this time 27-21 to the Cards. "And I still need to improve a lot in others."

Yes he does, because right now he's turning into a turnover machine.

Jones, quite simply, takes far too many chances, trying to throw balls into incredibly tight windows. He's either not seeing the defenders, or just assumes he's good enough to squeeze the ball in. He also seems reluctant to throw the ball away, which leads to him holding it too long. And his offensive line just isn't good enough for him to do that.

And all that has led to this: Six fumbles, five lost, in five games, plus seven interceptions giving him 12 turnovers in all. That too is not surprising for a rookie quarterback. Alarmingly, though, his penchant for turnovers was one of the constant criticisms even the scouts who liked him had before the NFL draft.

Regardless, 12 turnovers in five starts is a pretty significant deal. On Sunday, that was the difference between him and Kyler Murray, the Cardinals rookie quarterback and No. 1 overall pick. Jones looked like the better, more NFL-ready quarterback for most of the game, completing 22 of 35 passes for 223 yards while Murray went 14 of 21 for 104. But Murray didn't turn the ball over. Jones turned it over three times.

And as Tom Coughlin used to point out over and over and over again: Turnovers, more than anything else, make the biggest difference in NFL games.

Over the last 4 weeks he's been the exact same guy he was in his NFL.com Combine Scouting Report.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Browns are interested in Giants OT Nate Solder if Redskins OT Trent Williams is unavailable.

The Browns have made it public that they are thinking of replacing current LT Greg Robinson who needs to play more consistent football per GM John Dorsey. Among the 55 offensive tackles with at least 300 snaps this season, Robinson ranks 23rd in PFF's overall grade, while Solder ranks 32nd. With the Giants out of playoff contention, it wouldn't be a terrible idea for New York to deal Solder before the trade deadline. The 31-year-old is in Year 2 of a four-year, $62 million contract ($34.8 million guaranteed).
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DRIVE HIM TO THE AIRPORT PERSONALLY!!!

I'm guessing you want them to trade Solder.  Just a guess, though.

I agree.  If they have an opportunity to get value for him and get out of that contract at the same time, they should definitely take it.

That is amazingly accurate for both strengths and weaknesses. 

The only strengths mentioned that I am not seeing are 

• Adjusts pre-snap plan to blitz and exploits hot-read opportunities ... I think this has been the biggest offensive problem over the past couple of weeks. Neither Jones or Shurmer are adjusting to pressure... vs. Arizona was like watching ground hog day. 
  • Displays feel for pressure off the edge ... Jones doesn't have a clue when pressured off the edge

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DRIVE HIM TO THE AIRPORT PERSONALLY!!!
Browns are such a bad organization that we could end up with Robinson (an improvement of Soldier),  a 3rd-4th round pick, and dump salary. This would be amazing ... So Yess!! What are they waiting for DO IT !!!!!  

Shurmur is a mess !  How do they not challenge either of those PI plays?  What do you have to lose at that point?

And please stop trying to run the ball up the middle ...it hasn't worked all year which is amazing considering their 3 best lineman are in the middle.

I guess the Browns will change their mind about about Soldier after this week 

Draft Order Top 10

1. CIN 0-8
2. MIA 0-6 [0-7 if they lose to PIT]
3. WAS 1-7
4. ATL 1-7
5. NYJ 1-6
6. NYG 2-6
7. DEN 2-6
8. CLE 2-5
9. TB 2-5
10. MIA (via PIT) 2-4 

Leonard Williams traded to NYG.   3rd this year and 5th in 2021.
Why? Are they converting him to LT or ILB ??

He was considered possibly the best player in the draft and then a bust for the Jets  ...  I'm glad to have him but do we really need a DT???????

Leonard Williams traded to NYG.   3rd this year and 5th in 2021.
Are the Giants planning on moving to a 4-3? Are they going to trade Tomlinson or BJ Hill? Why is a team that is 2-6 trading away draft picks for a guy who will be a free agent in 8 games?

Someone please make it make sense

Are the Giants planning on moving to a 4-3? Are they going to trade Tomlinson or BJ Hill? Why is a team that is 2-6 trading away draft picks for a guy who will be a free agent in 8 games?

Someone please make it make sense
I think Williams is a 3-4 DE, was playing out of position for the Jets.  Not sure I would be a buyer at 2-6 but we should recoup a ~3rd round comp pick, albeit at the end of the round rather than the top, for L. Collins this year.   

Definitely a gamble here, hopefully we can recoup some picks with Jenkins and/or Ogletree going by Tuesday.

So is it a race in New York to see who gets fired first, Gase or Shurmur? It amazes me not only that these guys got a first chance at being a head coach, but both got a second chance, and in the biggest media market at that! Neither seem to be a fit personality wise to be able to handle the stress of the Big Apple (besides both being lousy coaches).

I think Shurmur goes first.

I hope Shurmur goes first.

I want Shurmur to go first.

I want Shurmur to go now.

With his staff.

Gettelmen traded away 3 picks so that he could draft Deandre Baker

second-round pick at No. 37,

a fourth-rounder (No. 132)

and a fifth-round pick (No. 142).

Yenrub said:
Gettelmen traded away 3 picks so that he could draft Deandre Baker

second-round pick at No. 37,

a fourth-rounder (No. 132)

and a fifth-round pick (No. 142).
Yeah ... Baker's getting torched so badly that it's hard to imagine he will ever be worth the pick. He was highly rated coming out of college and most draft analysis seemed to love the pick 

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

An MRI of Giants’ TE Evan Engram’s foot injury is being sent to noted Dr. Robert Anderson for a second opinion, per source. Giants’ HC Pat Shurmur called it “little bit of a sore foot” yesterday, and for now, Engram’s status is uncertain.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

An MRI of Giants’ TE Evan Engram’s foot injury is being sent to noted Dr. Robert Anderson for a second opinion, per source. Giants’ HC Pat Shurmur called it “little bit of a sore foot” yesterday, and for now, Engram’s status is uncertain.
It's getting awfully close to the season where players on teams with poor records get shut-down and on IR.

Hopefully this isn't the case, Daniel Jones needs all the help he can get in his development.

It's getting awfully close to the season where players on teams with poor records get shut-down and on IR.

Hopefully this isn't the case, Daniel Jones needs all the help he can get in his development.
Agree with both your points.  Other than DJ's development and Shurmur coaching for his job, it wouldn't surprise me to see Engram and Sheppard shut down.    Speaking of Shurmur, I'd like it to happen but I just don't see him not being the coach next year.  Mara will do the Mara thing and fire the coordinators (James Bettcher -DC, Mike Shula - OC)    If they include Hal Hunter, the Offensive line coach, I will consider this a victory.     Seeing Marshall Newhouse as a serviceable LT for the Patriots is mind-blowing, considering we signed their former LT to an awful contract, which has corresponded to his awful play.   

Agree with both your points.  Other than DJ's development and Shurmur coaching for his job, it wouldn't surprise me to see Engram and Sheppard shut down.    Speaking of Shurmur, I'd like it to happen but I just don't see him not being the coach next year.  Mara will do the Mara thing and fire the coordinators (James Bettcher -DC, Mike Shula - OC)    If they include Hal Hunter, the Offensive line coach, I will consider this a victory.     Seeing Marshall Newhouse as a serviceable LT for the Patriots is mind-blowing, considering we signed their former LT to an awful contract, which has corresponded to his awful play.   
If the Giants go 2-5 in their last seven games, Shurmur will have the exact same record after two seasons that he had with the Browns: 9-23. That would total to 18-46. As Parcells said "you are what your record says you are"

Painful watching Jones regress after a good quarter every game. It's the same thing every game, can't see the rush coming, throws the ball in too tight windows, doesn't check out of bad plays and then the 2+ turnovers a game. Now some of that can be worked on but most of it should've been improved upon/worked on. Right now he's basically less intelligent Eli Manning with more athleticism, and that equation adds up to Ryan Tannehill.

Makes you wonder if the Giants are in a position to draft Tua, do they do it and try to trade Jones for a 1st? It sounds like blasphemy now, but if this continues for the next 6-7 games you'll hear the rumbling for it.

Painful watching Jones regress after a good quarter every game. It's the same thing every game, can't see the rush coming, throws the ball in too tight windows, doesn't check out of bad plays and then the 2+ turnovers a game. Now some of that can be worked on but most of it should've been improved upon/worked on. Right now he's basically less intelligent Eli Manning with more athleticism, and that equation adds up to Ryan Tannehill.

Makes you wonder if the Giants are in a position to draft Tua, do they do it and try to trade Jones for a 1st? It sounds like blasphemy now, but if this continues for the next 6-7 games you'll hear the rumbling for it.
There is no way they are taking Tua.  No way.   Andrew Thomas, Jerry Jeudy, Grant Delpit or if somehow they get lucky Chase Young.     But what do i know. 

There is no way they are taking Tua.  No way.   Andrew Thomas, Jerry Jeudy, Grant Delpit or if somehow they get lucky Chase Young.     But what do i know. 
Well if they could get a low-mid 1st for Daniel Jones... I mean there are teams that love him even with the warts. I mean Jones would really have to tank to even entertain the idea of drafting another QB though.

Well if they could get a low-mid 1st for Daniel Jones... I mean there are teams that love him even with the warts. I mean Jones would really have to tank to even entertain the idea of drafting another QB though.
The fumbles are a real problem.   It feels like a given he's gonna have 1+ a game, you might be right.

Jones hasn't been the problem ... He's been better than almost any QB drafted over the last 2 seasons. It was still a dumb pick with Josh Allen available and the class of QBs coming out in the 2020 draft but they are not going to pick another QB.

Can you imagine if we ended up with  Darnold,  Rosen, or Haskins like many people on this board wanted !!!! 

Jones hasn't been the problem ... He's been better than almost any QB drafted over the last 2 seasons. It was still a dumb pick with Josh Allen available and the class of QBs coming out in the 2020 draft but they are not going to pick another QB.

Can you imagine if we ended up with  Darnold,  Rosen, or Haskins like many people on this board wanted !!!!
I don't mind Haskins, he's just not ready yet. I wanted Haskins to sit a full year if the Giants drafted him and learn behind Eli, he has a much higher ceiling than Jones IMHO.

I would take any of those three over Jones.  Show me Rosen with that oline and I'll show you a qb that doesn't have 2 fumbles a game.

Users who are viewing this thread