What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (4 Viewers)

As far as I know/remember, Baker had no character concerns coming out of the draft and was one of the best CBs in college. So no, you can't blame Gettleman for a guy going full stupid during this pandemic, especially a young player. You think people blamed the Pats for drafting Aaron Hernandez?? Steelers for Antonio Brown?

That being said this is a crushing blow for the Giants and moreso Seattle, who were relying on Dunbar to be their starting right cornerback with very little in depth in the secondary. At least Giants have a lot of depth at CB; Sam Beal probably gets the starter job by default over Ballentine and Julian Love, with Darnay Holes at slot corner. Seattle may need to try and pickup Logan Ryan.
I don't remember the specifics but IIRC he had red flags based on his character.  I thought he was considered a risky pick because of those red flag, even though talent-wise he was a good pick.  Also, I think he was benched last year due to attitude problems.

I don't remember the specifics but IIRC he had red flags based on his character.  I thought he was considered a risky pick because of those red flag, even though talent-wise he was a good pick.  Also, I think he was benched last year due to attitude problems.
He was called out at team meetings and he also fell asleep during team meetings

If, and when, the Giants cut Baker, It is going to count about 7.6M against the cap

He was called out at team meetings and he also fell asleep during team meetings

If, and when, the Giants cut Baker, It is going to count about 7.6M against the cap
Are they resposnsibel for his salary if he is charged for this? or does it come off of the cap?

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/15/new-york-giants-deandre-baker-had-some-red-flags-prior-to-2019-nfl-draft/

Everything that I had seen from him from the time he was drafted was concerning.

You could see it in his interviews and body language and then off course his play and bad attitude  

Update on the Baker situation:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29180839/affidavits-clear-seahawks-quinton-dunbar-giants-deandre-baker-alleged-robbery-attorneys-say

I skimmed the article and basically, the players are claiming that they have affidavits saying they weren't involved so they won't turn themselves in, but the police have recorded video of witness statements saying otherwise and that none of them have recanted or changed their story to the police so the arrest warrants still stand. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on the Baker situation:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29180839/affidavits-clear-seahawks-quinton-dunbar-giants-deandre-baker-alleged-robbery-attorneys-say

I skimmed the article and basically, the players are claiming that they have affidavits saying they weren't involved so they won't turn themselves in, but the police have recorded video of witness statements saying otherwise and that none of them have recanted or changed their story to the police so the arrest warrants still stand. 
would love to see the deals being cut behind the scenes to have the victims recant......too late though 

#NYGiants CB DeAndre Baker will be released with a $200K bond ($25K per all eight counts). No access to firearms and reporting to pre-trial via phone. Firearms surrendered to local police. State requested no bond.

He is not permitted to leave the state of Florida at this time

#NYGiants CB DeAndre Baker will be released with a $200K bond ($25K per all eight counts). No access to firearms and reporting to pre-trial via phone. Firearms surrendered to local police. State requested no bond.

Loser costs the Giants 3 picks and himself $10M ...didin't need the money so just doing it for the sport of it.

Hope he never wears an NFL uniform again ... Good riddance !

monk said:
Loser costs the Giants 3 picks and himself $10M ...didin't need the money so just doing it for the sport of it.

Hope he never wears an NFL uniform again ... Good riddance !
That's it huh?  Tried, convicted, and bundled up and kicked out just like that.  No jury, no due process, no cross examination, no facing one's accuser, just the reported version of what some cops say some witnesses said?

kodycutter said:

He was also asked to stay away from the team virtual meetings (some places reported that he was't joining those anyway) to focus on his legal issues.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2020/5/16/21260946/deandre-baker-turns-himself-in-to-miramar-police-ny-giants

The lawyers for both of them claimed to have affidavits from witnesses that say they weren't involved in the crime.  If they have affidavits from witnesses that exonerate them, why are they still arrested and need to make bail?  Or did the lawyers lie about it?

That's it huh?  Tried, convicted, and bundled up and kicked out just like that.  No jury, no due process, no cross examination, no facing one's accuser, just the reported version of what some cops say some witnesses said?
He was at the scend of the crime ... his lawyer confirmed it. Baker has a firearm registered in his name. There are sworn affidavits from 4 victims and another witness. Report that Baker and Dunbar had lost roughly $70,000 while gambling at a Miami party earlier that week.

Yep that's all I need to know. His POS lawyer might get him off but ...he did it

The lawyers for both of them claimed to have affidavits from witnesses that say they weren't involved in the crime.  If they have affidavits from witnesses that exonerate them, why are they still arrested and need to make bail?  Or did the lawyers lie about it?
It's the same witnesses that gave sworn video affidavits to the police? Also the reversed affidavits apparently ony cleared Dunbar not Baker   

It's the same witnesses that gave sworn video affidavits to the police? Also the reversed affidavits apparently ony cleared Dunbar not Baker   
Their lawyers didn't specify if it was the same witnesses as the ones the police have.  Neither of them have been cleared yet as far as I'm aware.  Both were arrested and are out on bail.  Dunbar's bail is lower, but the charges against him are lesser than the ones against Baker.

Their lawyers didn't specify if it was the same witnesses as the ones the police have.  Neither of them have been cleared yet as far as I'm aware.  Both were arrested and are out on bail.  Dunbar's bail is lower, but the charges against him are lesser than the ones against Baker.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29182475/giants-deandre-baker-turns-police-armed-robbery-charges

"Dunbar's lawyer, Michael Grieco, showed the judge five sworn affidavits that both sides confirmed came from the same parties (four victims and one witness) that the detectives spoke with. The prosecutor found it "suspect" that the witnesses recanted within 36 hours and that their affidavits were related directly to Dunbar."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/15/new-york-giants-deandre-baker-had-some-red-flags-prior-to-2019-nfl-draft/

Everything that I had seen from him from the time he was drafted was concerning.

You could see it in his interviews and body language and then off course his play and bad attitude  
Rumor that some in the Giants organization had concerns about Bakers attitude before they traded up and drafted him 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/18/giants-had-concerns-about-deandre-baker-before-last-weeks-incident/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29182475/giants-deandre-baker-turns-police-armed-robbery-charges

"Dunbar's lawyer, Michael Grieco, showed the judge five sworn affidavits that both sides confirmed came from the same parties (four victims and one witness) that the detectives spoke with. The prosecutor found it "suspect" that the witnesses recanted within 36 hours and that their affidavits were related directly to Dunbar."
Dunbar's payments went through, DeAndre hasn't paid them off yet.   

He was at the scend of the crime ... his lawyer confirmed it. Baker has a firearm registered in his name. There are sworn affidavits from 4 victims and another witness. Report that Baker and Dunbar had lost roughly $70,000 while gambling at a Miami party earlier that week.

Yep that's all I need to know. His POS lawyer might get him off but ...he did it
The Giants aren’t going to cut Baker before due process plays out. They have a ton invested in him, they foolishly traded up to get him, so my guess is he has a longer leash.

I say foolishly not because of this incident but because there were 4 similarly rated CB on the board at the time when the Giants moved up 7 spots to get him.

The Giants aren’t going to cut Baker before due process plays out. They have a ton invested in him, they foolishly traded up to get him, so my guess is he has a longer leash.

I say foolishly not because of this incident but because there were 4 similarly rated CB on the board at the time when the Giants moved up 7 spots to get him.
I dont think they will wait that long. Yes they foolishly invested a ton in him but he came in with a terrible attitude , was the Worst CB in the NFL as a rookie and now faces 8 criminal charges ... Whats the upside at this point? He becomes a avg to below avg CB with a POS attitude 

As soon as they get an opening ... ie Baker is placed on the exempt list or a video or some other damning evidence surfaces , Giants will cut their loses and Baker will be gone.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/05/why-havent-giants-moved-on-from-deandre-baker-yet-nfl-executives-weigh-in.html

If these witnesses who have recanted their original affidavits with the police stick with their change of mind, will they get charged with lying to the police and/or filing a false police report?

rockaction said:
Another good football mind gone the way of the pressures to garner views and attention with hot takes. 
He apparently made that prediction without even taking the OC into it.

"Oh, and Jason Garrett, I forgot they brought him in as an offensive coordinator."

I don't care about the predictions. This season will hinge in Daniel Jones' ability to sense pressure and the O-Line/RB's ability to bail him out when he fails to.

Defense won't matter if the offense can't get on track. The Giants potentially have a very good offense, but Jones is learning a brand new scheme and he doesn't have a normal training camp to work with receivers and coaches. Garrett is probably going to coddle Jones until he has a good grasp of the system, but the schedule sure won't do hm any favors.

Defense won't matter if the offense can't get on track. The Giants potentially have a very good offense, but Jones is learning a brand new scheme and he doesn't have a normal training camp to work with receivers and coaches. Garrett is probably going to coddle Jones until he has a good grasp of the system, but the schedule sure won't do hm any favors.
Defense always matters!!

2019:

Offense tied for 18th in scoring (21.3 points per game)

Defense was 30th in points allowed (28.2 points per game allowed)

Defense always matters!!

2019:

Offense tied for 18th in scoring (21.3 points per game)

Defense was 30th in points allowed (28.2 points per game allowed)
And that was with a Rookie QB and their top 5 Offensive Weapons missing time with injuries and Suspensions. Tate, Saquon, Shep, Slayton and Engram combined to miss 24 games. They  never had their offense together at any time. Add the Oline should be much improved  ... I agree Offense will not be the problem  

Aldrick Rosas arrested: Hit and Run

New York Giants star kicker Aldrick Rosas was arrested Monday after allegedly T-boning a car and fleeing the scene ... and cops believe alcohol was involved, TMZ Sports has learned.

Law enforcement officials say witnesses saw the 25-year-old -- who made the Pro Bowl in 2018 -- going around 100 MPH and driving erratically at around 8:25 a.m. in Chico, Calif., when he allegedly failed to stop at a red light.......

Giants beat writer says the Giants need depth at WR. Here are some veteran free agents the writer suggest the Giants consider.

Paul Richardson,Tavon Austin, Taylor Gabriel, Jermaine Kearse, and Chester Rogers 

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/06/giants-still-have-pressing-need-at-wr-here-are-the-best-remaining-free-agent-fits.html
I dont see how any of those guys helps the Giants ...

Giants dont particularly need a receiver but if they were to go out and sign one I would hope for at least 6'2" 

Shepard, Tate, Slayton , Coleman w/ Barclay, Lewis and Engram is more than enough Weapons 

I'm hoping either of the Ohio State UDFAs, Mack 6'2" or Victor 6'4" make the team as a big WR 

PFF - NFL defensive line rankings: All 32 units entering the 2020 NFL season

Giants # 26 ? Wow and that's supposed to be the strength of the team

Users who are viewing this thread