What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (8 Viewers)

Mr. Gettleman,please do not draft a "versatile" player at #11. Draft the "best" offensive tackle in the draft. Or the "best"

guard,or the "best" center,or the "best" edge rusher. At #11 do not settle for "versatile". Get the "best" from whatever

position falls to you. Thank you.

Mr. Gettleman,please do not draft a "versatile" player at #11. Draft the "best" offensive tackle in the draft. Or the "best"

guard,or the "best" center,or the "best" edge rusher. At #11 do not settle for "versatile". Get the "best" from whatever

position falls to you. Thank you.
Exactly!  don't force the pick.   

I think if Slater is there you take him. The whole offseason has been catering to the development of Jones; finish the job and get him the best O-lineman available in the draft.

I think if Slater is there you take him. The whole offseason has been catering to the development of Jones; finish the job and get him the best O-lineman available in the draft.
Sewell or Slater  - Absolutely ... but cant take the 3rd best Olineman at 11 if Parsons is there. Parsons is the best defensive player in the draft and could be a great edge rusher as well. 

There are a few good Centers and Guards that might be avaialble at picks 2 and 3 that could compete right away 

You cannot pass on Pitts or Smith. Must take the best player available. 

You cannot pass on Pitts or Smith. Must take the best player available. 
Sure you can ... Neither one of them make the Giants a better team. They have 2 capable TE's , a few good receievers,  a great receiving RB and not enough balls to go around. They will all suck if the Giants dont fix there Oline. 

You either take one of the top 2 Olineman (Sewell or Slater) or the best Defensive player in the draft (Parsons) at 11 ... If not you trade down and take an Olinemna or Edge Rusher. 

An offensive weapon would be anbsolutely gluttony 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you can ... Neither one of them make the Giants a better team. They have 2 capable TE's , a few good receievers,  a great receiving RB and not enough balls to go around. They will all suck if the Giants dont fix there Oline. 

You either take one of the top 2 Olineman (Sewell or Slater) or the best Defensive player in the draft (Parsons) at 11 ... If not you trade down and take an Olinemna or Edge Rusher. 

An offensive weapon would be anbsolutely gluttony 
2 capable TE’s? Not really. Not that he’ll be available, but you don’t pass up Pitts. 

They've added Barkley, Golladay, Rudolph, and John Ross 

They lost Zeitler who was arguably their best olineman 
Barkley -  only good thing with the ACL injury was that it happened early last year.

Golladay - played 5 games last year.

Kyle Rudolph - having foot surgery and may be dealing with Lis Franc

John Ross - In 4 years he's played in 27 games.

I guess I'm more pessimistic about the gluttony.    I get that the O-line needs to better, but I'm certainly not throwing the remote if Devonta Smith's name is called at #11 nor would I if it's Slater.

If Pitts is available it would be a DeSean Watson getting sued by 20 women level of surprise.  He's not going to be on the NYG unless they trade up.  I would rather have several o-linemen and defensive players over any WR aside from Chase, who also isn't going to be available 11.

Barkley -  only good thing with the ACL injury was that it happened early last year.

Golladay - played 5 games last year.

Kyle Rudolph - having foot surgery and may be dealing with Lis Franc

John Ross - In 4 years he's played in 27 games.

I guess I'm more pessimistic about the gluttony.    I get that the O-line needs to better, but I'm certainly not throwing the remote if Devonta Smith's name is called at #11 nor would I if it's Slater.
I wouldnt complain  but a WR  wouldn't help much if at all if the Oline sux 

If you really want ?'s ... start anywhere on the Oline 

• RT - Soldier or Peart ?? Choose your "?"
  • RG - Hernandez - First Year at RG ... wasnt good at LG 
  • C - Gates - 1 year of Center under his belt 
  • LG - Lemieux - ranked 80 of 80 qualified Guards in the NFL 
  • LT - Thomas - one underwhelming year 

I wouldnt complain  but a WR  wouldn't help much if at all if the Oline sux 

If you really want ?'s ... start anywhere on the Oline 

• RT - Soldier or Peart ?? Choose your "?"
  • RG - Hernandez - First Year at RG ... wasnt good at LG 
  • C - Gates - 1 year of Center under his belt 
  • LG - Lemieux - ranked 80 of 80 qualified Guards in the NFL 
  • LT - Thomas - one underwhelming year 
I'm with you on that.   Slater would be a good pick.        2nd round I'm hoping for Azeez Ojulari, Georgia LB.

edit: Azeez's game vs bama 2020

Yenrub said:
The Giants select DeVonta Smith in Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-49ers-go-all-in-on-mac-jones

Slater & Sewell go 8 & 9
Victor Cruz on DeVonta Smith

"It depends on what you're asking him to do," Cruz said of Smith, whom NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah mocked Tuesday to the Giants as a No. 11 overall pick . "Are you asking him to line up as a slot receiver and block outside linebackers and be in the trenches? Probably not. You want him to be outside and using that athleticism and using that separation speed to run his routes and be what you saw him be at Alabama. It's something to be said about what you're asking him to do. You have to catch him first. You can say all of that about taking hits, but you have to be able to catch him first.

"… Yes, (size) matters. But does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. You've got guys like Desean Jackson playing a lengthy career. It's all about what you're asking him to do and what team he goes to and how he fits within that scheme."

"It's crazy to think the receivers that they've had on their roster, going all the away back to (the Atlanta Falcons') Julio Jones and (Dallas Cowboys') Amari Cooper and (Falcons') Calvin Ridley, and we saw (Denver Broncos' Jerry) Jeudy, and Henry Ruggs go to the Raiders — and yet, here's maybe the best of 'em all," ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said Jan. 10 on Postseason NFL Countdown. "If you look at him in his outfit, he's so slight, right? You think, you know, he doesn't have the physicality to make it in the NFL. But he's wiry strong.

"And I'm going to tell you something — Randy (Moss) can really appreciate this — he's a superstar, but he's the hardest-working guy on their team. He's the most humble superstar you're ever going to see."

DeVonta Smith made everything look so smooth and effortless against Ohio state ... He reminded me of Jerry Rice the way he made separation look so easy.

Yeah I know he's not Jerry Rice but he was in that game

Think about how foolish it would be to draft a WR #11 

• Saquan #2 overall
  • Jones #6 overall
  • Smith or Waddle #11 overall
  • Big FA Aquistion Golladay the Highest paid player on the team 
  • And your Oline Sux !!!

Think about how foolish it would be to draft a WR #11 

• Saquan #2 overall
  • Jones #6 overall
  • Smith or Waddle #11 overall
  • Big FA Aquistion Golladay the Highest paid player on the team 
  • And your Oline Sux !!!
I might agree if there were only one round in the draft.  But there's a good argument for going WR then OL in the first two rounds.  And if Sewell and Slater are both gone by #11, it would seem more foolish to pass on a Smith and/or Waddle for the next OL when comparable OL talent could probably be found in round 2. 

I might agree if there were only one round in the draft.  But there's a good argument for going WR then OL in the first two rounds.  And if Sewell and Slater are both gone by #11, it would seem more foolish to pass on a Smith and/or Waddle for the next OL when comparable OL talent could probably be found in round 2. 
No then you go Parsons or trade down ... They dont need a WR @ #11, There are no Edge players worthy of #11, They dont  need a CB. 

With #11 they need a player that is giong to start day 1 and make a difference ... Sewell, Slater or Parsons if none of them are available trade down, if you cant trade down take the next best G/C 

No then you go Parsons or trade down ... They dont need a WR @ #11, There are no Edge players worthy of #11, They dont  need a CB. 

With #11 they need a player that is giong to start day 1 and make a difference ... Sewell, Slater or Parsons if none of them are available trade down, if you cant trade down take the next best G/C 
I think you can bet against a trade down given Gettleman's history. I recall seeing something saying that DG likes Davonta Smith. I don't recall where I saw it but will post a link if I come across it again.

Here is a link https://twitter.com/WBG84/status/1380991979585220615?s=20

Is Kwity Paye in the conversation?      We are gonna get a good player, just like the cowboys ahead of us and eagles behind us.  
Sounds like it's a really weak draft for edge rushers ...Big Blue Banter did a nice pod cast regarding EDGE at 11 for Giants.

From what they said and from what I've been reading and hearing ...Jalean Phillips is probabaly the best and most nfl ready of the bunch. The question with him is health concerns and commitment. He's had a couple of concussuions that actually cuased him to retire temporarily. 

monk said:
Sounds like it's a really weak draft for edge rushers ...Big Blue Banter did a nice pod cast regarding EDGE at 11 for Giants.

From what they said and from what I've been reading and hearing ...Jalean Phillips is probabaly the best and most nfl ready of the bunch. The question with him is health concerns and commitment. He's had a couple of concussuions that actually cuased him to retire temporarily. 
Given Phillips history with concussions I don't see how the Giants can take him at 11

It wouldnt surprise me ... but It wouldnt make them a better team 
It would make them a better team because I think all of the top WR in this draft are better than Slayton.  That said WR clearly isn't the biggest need on the team

Take the best player available. We don’t need to Eli Apple this draft. I would be giddy if Smith was available. He absolutely makes the Giants better.

The Frankman said:
Now now, let's save the Daniel Jones hate for when if he bombs with a full training camp, revamped line and all the shiny new toys he'll have on offense.
Lipstick on a pig

monk said:
Hopefully a revamped line ... at the moment it looks worse on paper than going into last season
I'll admit I might just be naive, but I feel at least as good about the line - and probably better if they pick a guy to compete at guard somewhere in the first 3 rounds - as I did before going into last season.

They had a rookie LT in Thomas who looked like he could be a stud, but still a rookie which is somewhat scary.  I expect improvement there.  They had Solder sitting out the year for Covid, I wasn't at all excited about Fleming, and Peart was a rookie who everybody conceded would probably need a year in the system to bulk up and add experience.  I'm more optimistic there about Peart starting with Solder the swing backup.  We didn't even know if they had a starting-caliber center going into the season, and most people were mad they didn't pick a C in the draft.  Gates did well and I expect him to be even better with a year of experience at the position.  Yes, the guard position doesn't seem as good on paper without Zietler going in, and I agree they need to pick up a guard in the draft to at least introduce more competition there.  Overall, though, I think they'll actually look better on paper going into this season (even without another 1st round pick in the draft), and I have a feeling the coaches feel better about the line and what they can do right now as well.

I just hope beyond hope that this post ages well and we aren't all just shaking our heads at it come October.  :unsure:

I'll admit I might just be naive, but I feel at least as good about the line - and probably better if they pick a guy to compete at guard somewhere in the first 3 rounds - as I did before going into last season.

They had a rookie LT in Thomas who looked like he could be a stud, but still a rookie which is somewhat scary.  I expect improvement there.  They had Solder sitting out the year for Covid, I wasn't at all excited about Fleming, and Peart was a rookie who everybody conceded would probably need a year in the system to bulk up and add experience.  I'm more optimistic there about Peart starting with Solder the swing backup.  We didn't even know if they had a starting-caliber center going into the season, and most people were mad they didn't pick a C in the draft.  Gates did well and I expect him to be even better with a year of experience at the position.  Yes, the guard position doesn't seem as good on paper without Zietler going in, and I agree they need to pick up a guard in the draft to at least introduce more competition there.  Overall, though, I think they'll actually look better on paper going into this season (even without another 1st round pick in the draft), and I have a feeling the coaches feel better about the line and what they can do right now as well.

I just hope beyond hope that this post ages well and we aren't all just shaking our heads at it come October.  :unsure:
Don't forget the fact they came in with basically no offseason work and limited training camp/preseason due to COVID.  Oh yeah, and their initial O-Line coach was so terrible they tried to bring in a consultant, causing him to rage-quit.  One year of stability and a full offseason will do wonders for those guys.  Agree that we need to bring in some interior line competition, but would be fine waiting until round 2.  

Giants Should be able to land a quality G/C in the 2nd Round and/or 3rd Round ... I honestly think they need 2 IOL with  the first 3 picks.  Gates did a nice job at center but not great ... if he steps it up a notch that would be great but if he regresses it could be the end of the Giants season before it starts. By Drafting a top center who who is capable of starting from day 1 that will create competion at G/C and give you depth at C which they dont have now. Loser of the Center battle kicks over to one of the Guard positions so they they dont have to rely on Lemuix who PFF ranked dead last of 80 qualified Guards

I'm really hoping Dickerson or Humprey is available to them in the 2nd  but even then I would not use pick 11 on a WR ... I would still go Parsons, Edge, or Alijah Vera-Tucker G/T  if Sewell and Slater are gone.

If Sewel and Slater are gone, I like Vera-Tucker a lot.  Pro Football Focus graded the Giants' offensive line as the tenth worst run blocking unit and the worst pass blocking unit in the league last season.  They're more than 1 player away from being a good offensive line overall.

If Sewel and Slater are gone, I like Vera-Tucker a lot.  Pro Football Focus graded the Giants' offensive line as the tenth worst run blocking unit and the worst pass blocking unit in the league last season.  They're more than 1 player away from being a good offensive line overall.
To be clear, I never meant to imply they were now a top line or "fixed" with one more player.  Just that I think I'll feel better about them going into this year than I did going into last year.

Welp, since I forgot to cancel my free trial re-upped for $59.99 for a year's subscription to The Athletic here's another interesting Dan Duggan piece complete  with agent analysis, complete contract details and restructures, and confirmation of the changed ownership/GM mindset. This is a make or break year.

How the N.Y. Giants structured free agent contracts, with analysis from an agent

The Giants’ free-agent spending spree sent a clear message.

They better win now or (general manager) Dave Gettleman is probably out of a job,” said Joel Corry, a former agent who is now an analyst for CBS Sports. “That was my first observation.

It surprised Corry and other league observers that the Giants were such big spenders in free agency. The team made 20 signings that totaled $211.8 million despite limited cap space (that number jumps to $241.8 million if the extension safety Logan Ryan signed in December is included).

That number may cause sticker shock, but it’s always important to look under the hood of NFL contracts because the raw numbers that are first reported are typically inflated. The guaranteed money is the most important aspect of an NFL contract since that signals a team’s true commitment to a player. For instance, the Giants have committed $130.6 million in guaranteed money this offseason, including Ryan’s deal. That’s still a good chunk of change, but not nearly as exorbitant as the total maximum value of the contracts.

To dig deeper into the contracts, I obtained all of the deals players have signed with the Giants this offseason from league sources. And Corry, whose client list included Hall of Famer John Randle when he was an agent, added his perspective to the bigger deals the Giants handed out.

Before delving into the individual contract details, here’s a glossary for some of the terms you’ll find repeatedly in these deals:

• Signing bonus: Signing bonuses are fully guaranteed at the time the contract is signed (although they’re often paid in installments over the first year). For salary cap purposes, signing bonuses are prorated over the length of the contract (for a maximum of five years).

• Roster bonus, part 1: The most basic form is a bonus for being on the team’s roster on a certain date, typically shortly after the new league year starts in March.

• Roster bonus, part 2: There are also per-game roster bonuses in some contracts. These bonuses reward a player for being on the active roster for each game.

• Roster bonus, part 3: The Giants added a new bonus to some contracts this year, which is earned if a player makes the initial 53-man roster at the end of the preseason.

• Incentives: Incentives are earned when a player reaches a performance goal specified in his contract (i.e. having 10 touchdowns or earning a Pro Bowl selection). Incentives are grouped into two categories: Likely to be earned (LTBE) and not likely to be earned (NLTBE). An incentive’s classification is based on the player’s achievements in the previous season.

An LTBE incentive counts on the salary cap that year. If a player doesn’t achieve an LTBE incentive, the team gets a credit for the amount of the incentive on the following year’s cap. An NLTBE incentive does not count against the salary cap that year. If a player achieves an NLTBE incentive, the amount counts against the team’s cap the following year.

The specific benchmarks to trigger the incentive payments in these contracts are not yet available. The Giants typically hand out NLTBE incentives, so players likely will need to improve on last year’s production to earn the incentives.

• Escalators: Like incentives, escalators are earned when a player reaches a performance goal. There is a big difference, however. If a player triggers an incentive, he is guaranteed to collect that amount. If a player triggers an escalator, he gets a raise in a future year. That future salary typically is not guaranteed, so the player could be cut before receiving the money from an escalator.

• Fully guaranteed at signing: This is the most important figure in any contract. The money fully guaranteed at signing (typically via guaranteed salary and signing bonuses) will be earned by the player no matter what.

• Injury guarantees: This is a partial guarantee. A player will collect his injury guarantee if he is cut because he can’t pass a physical. This money is not guaranteed if a player is cut for salary cap or performance reasons.

• Veteran Salary Benefit (VSB): The VSB is designed to entice teams to sign veteran players. Put simply, the VSB allows for players with four or more credited seasons to carry the same cap hit as the minimum salary for players with two credited seasons ($850,000), plus bonus money. These veterans must sign a one-year contract for the minimum base salary for their experience level with bonuses capped at $137,500.

Here are the contract details for all of the Giants’ signings this offseason:

WR Kenny Golladay: 4 years, $72 million

$1M

$3.4M

$250K

$4.5M

$13M

$4.5M

$3.4M

$21.15M

$13.25M

$4.5M

$3.4M

$21.4M

$14.25M

$3.5M

$3.4M

$21.4M

VOID

$3.4M

$3.4M

Notes: Golladay’s contract has $28 million fully guaranteed at signing: his 2021 salary ($1 million), $10 million of his 2022 salary ($13 million) and a $17 million signing bonus. He has an additional $12 million guaranteed for injury: the remaining $3 million of his 2022 salary ($13 million), his $4.5 million 2022 roster bonus and his $4.5 million 2023 roster bonus.

Golladay’s 2022 roster bonus ($4.5 million) becomes fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the first day of the 2022 league year. His 2023 roster bonus ($4.5 million) becomes fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the first day of the 2023 league year. Golladay’s 2024 roster bonus ($3.5 million) becomes fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the third day of the 2024 league year.

Golladay has a maximum of $250,000 in bonuses for every game he’s active for in 2021 ($14,705 per game). Golladay has up to $1 million in incentives each season for a Pro Bowl selection and unspecified totals of catches, yards and touchdowns. He has $250,000 workout bonuses in each offseason from 2022-24. The Giants typically require players to participate in 84 percent of the entire voluntary offseason program and 100 percent of the OTA and minicamp practices to earn a workout bonus. The Giants would be left with $6.8 million in dead money if they cut Golladay after the 2023 season.

Corry’s take: “I thought that he would be the one guy to benefit from Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin getting franchised, but his market was very slow to develop. At that point, you kind of wonder if the Giants were bidding against themselves.

“(Before free agency started), I would have been like, ‘Wow, that’s all he got?’ Then as the market didn’t develop, I was like, ‘Wow, he pulled a rabbit out of his hat to get that deal.’ I figured he was going to shift gears to do the best one-year deal possible in the best place for him to showcase himself and then try to hit it again next year. But the Giants threw him a lifeline. From my understanding, the Bears weren’t going to pay him anything like that.”

DL Leonard Williams: 3 years, $63 million

$3.5M

$7.5M

$11M

$19M

$7.5M

$26.5M

$18M

$7.5M

$25.5M

Notes: Williams’ contract has $45 million fully guaranteed at signing: his 2021 salary ($3.5 million), 2022 salary ($19 million) and a $22.5 million signing bonus. The Giants would be left with $7.5 million in dead money if they cut Williams after the 2022 season. A franchise tag for Williams after the 2023 season is unrealistic since it would be his third tag, which would trigger a 144 percent raise on his $18 million salary in 2023 ($25.9 million).

Corry’s take: “I thought they were going to franchise Leonard Williams after the year he had, and then he was going to have a ton of leverage and get the deal that he got. So that didn’t surprise me. He had a career year, so you reap the benefit of that when you play a premium position or you can get to the quarterback like he did. We knew he was a good run-stuffer. We just weren’t expecting him to be a double-digit sack guy. Now he’s got to come back and duplicate it for them to get their money’s worth.

“For him to do three years, that’s perfect for him. If he can continue to play well, he gets another bite of the apple.”

CB Adoree’ Jackson: 3 years, $39 million

$1.5M

$4.5M

$1M

$6.2M

$10M

$4.5M

$1M

$15.5M

$11M

$4.5M

$1M

$16.5M

Notes: Jackson’s contract has $24.5 million fully guaranteed at signing: his 2021 salary ($1.5 million), $9.5 million of his 2022 salary ($10 million) and a $13.5 million signing bonus. He has an additional $2 million guaranteed for injury: $2 million of his 2023 salary ($11 million).

Jackson has a maximum of $1 million in bonuses for every game he’s active for in 2021 ($58,823 per game). Jackson has up to $750,000 in incentives in the 2021 and 2022 seasons for a Pro Bowl selection and unspecified totals of interceptions, playing time and a playoff appearance. Jackson’s contract includes an escalator up to $4 million for 2023 that can be attained based on how many incentives he hits in 2021 and 2022. The Giants would be left with $4.5 million in dead money if they cut Jackson after the 2022 season.

Corry’s take: “That’s the one that gets me because if Tennessee was thinking about cutting him, I’d imagine they shopped him, or they should have. If you really wanted him, give up a late-round pick, you don’t have to make the long-term commitment, you have him on the option year ($10.2 million for 2021) and then you see whether he’s worth a long-term deal. He’s getting a windfall out of getting released from the fifth-year option, which doesn’t happen very much. We’re talking about a guy that was injured for the most part of last year so it’s like, ‘Wow.’ I didn’t see that one coming. I thought he was going to end up doing a one-year deal for less than the fifth-year option.”

S Logan Ryan: 3 years, $30 million

$1.05M

$5.45M

$500K

$8M

$5.5M

$1.5M

$7M

$9.25M

$1.5M

$10.75M

$9.25M

$1.5M

$10.75M

Notes: Ryan signed a three-year, $30 million extension in Week 16 last season. He was due to become a free agent after signing a one-year, $6.5 million contract last September. Ryan’s contract has $17 million fully guaranteed at signing: his 2021 salary ($5.5 million), $5.5 million of his 2022 salary ($9.25 million) and a $6 million signing bonus. An additional $3 million of his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the third day of the 2022 league year. Ryan has $500,000 in incentives in each season for a Pro Bowl selection and a first-team All-NFL selection. The Giants would be left with $1.5 million in dead money if they cut Ryan after the 2022 season.

Corry’s take: “I think that one was fair for both sides. It’s actually on par with the deal he got when he left the Patriots to join the Titans. Because the market didn’t develop last year for him, he probably didn’t want to go through free agency again.”

TE Kyle Rudolph: 2 years, $12 million

$2.5M

$2.25M

$4.75M

$5M

$2.25M

$7.25M

Notes: Rudolph’s contract has $7 million fully guaranteed at signing: his 2021 salary ($2.5 million) and a $4.5 million signing bonus. Rudolph has up to $1 million in incentives in each season for a Pro Bowl selection and unspecified totals of catches, yards and touchdowns. The Giants would be left with $2.25 million in dead money if they cut Rudolph after the 2021 season.

RB Devontae Booker: 2 years, $5.5 million

$1.5M

$1M

$2.75M

$2M

$1M

$3M

Notes: Booker’s contract has $2 million fully guaranteed at signing: a $2 million signing bonus. Booker has up to $250,000 in incentives in each season for an unspecified total of rushing yards. The Giants would be left with $1 million in dead money if they cut Booker after the 2021 season.

DL Austin Johnson: 1 year, $3 million

$1.5M

$1.5M

$3M

Notes: Johnson’s contract has $3 million fully guaranteed at signing: his 2021 salary ($1.5 million) and a $1.5 million signing bonus. Johnson has up to $500,000 in incentives for playing time in 2021.

LB Ifeadi Odenigbo: 1 year, $2.5 million

$1.5M

$1M

$2.5M

Notes: Odenigbo’s contract has $1 million fully guaranteed at signing: a $1 million signing bonus.

WR John Ross: 1 year, $2.25 million

$1.25M

$500K

$500K

$1.84M

Notes: Ross’ contract has $1 million fully guaranteed at signing: $500,000 of his 2021 salary ($1.25 million) and a $500,000 signing bonus. Ross has a maximum of $500,000 in bonuses for every game he’s active ($29,411 per game in a 17-game season). Ross has up to $250,000 in incentives for receiving yards.

QB Mike Glennon: 1 year, $1.375 million

$1.075M

$300K

$1.375M

Notes: Glennon’s contract has $450,000 fully guaranteed at signing: $150,000 of his 2021 salary ($1.075 million) and a $300,000 signing bonus. He has up to $750,000 in incentives for playing time.

OL Zach Fulton: 1 year, $1.2 million

$1.075M

$137,500

$987,500

Notes: Fulton’s contract has $137,500 fully guaranteed at signing: a $137,500 signing bonus. His contract is a VSB.

DL Danny Shelton: 1 year, $1.1 million

$990K

$137,500

$987,500

Notes: Shelton’s contract has $987,500 fully guaranteed at signing: $850,000 of his 2021 salary ($990,000) and a $137,500 signing bonus. His contract is a VSB.

LB Ryan Anderson: 1 year, $1.1 million

$990K

$137,500

$987,500

Notes: Anderson’s contract has $137,500 fully guaranteed at signing: a $137,500 signing bonus. His contract is a VSB.

LB Reggie Ragland: 1 year, $1.1 million

$990K

$137,500

$987,500

Notes: Ragland’s contract has $137,500 fully guaranteed at signing: a $137,500 signing bonus. His contract is a VSB.

LS Casey Kreiter: 1 year, $1.1 million

$990K

$137,500

$987,500

Notes: Kreiter’s contract has $137,500 fully guaranteed at signing: a $137,500 signing bonus. His contract is a VSB.

WR CJ Board: 1 year, $1.02 million

$920K

$50K

$50K

$1.02M

Notes: Board’s contract has $50,000 fully guaranteed at signing: a $50,000 signing bonus. He will earn a $50,000 roster bonus if he makes the 53-man roster, according to a source.

LB Devante Downs: 1 year, $1.02 million

$920K

$25K

$75K

$1.02M

Notes: Downs’ contract has $75,000 fully guaranteed at signing: a $75,000 signing bonus. He has a $25,000 roster bonus, which I believe will be earned if he makes the 53-man roster.

CB Chris Milton: 1 year, $990,000

$990K

$850K

Notes: Milton’s contract has no guaranteed money. His contract is a VSB.

CB Joshua Kalu: 1 year, $920,000

$920K

$920K

Notes: Kalu’s contract has no guaranteed money.

FB Cullen Gillaspia: 1 year, $850,000

$850K

$850K

Notes: Gillaspia’s contract has no guaranteed money.

TE Cole Hikutini: 1 year, $780,000

$780K

$780K

Notes: Hikutini’s contract has no guaranteed money.

The Giants also restructured the contracts of five players to create cap space. Here are the updated details of those adjusted contracts:

CB James Bradberry

$5.9M

$7M

$13.25M

$13.4M

$7M

$20.5M

Notes: The Giants converted $8 million of Bradberry’s 2021 salary ($13.9 million) into a bonus on March 23. That reduced his 2021 cap hit by $4 million, while adding $4 million to his 2022 cap hit. Bradberry’s contract has $13.9 million fully guaranteed remaining: the $8 million restructure bonus and his 2021 salary ($5.9 million). He has an injury guarantee for $2 million of his 2022 salary ($13.4 million).

Bradberry has a $250,000 incentive for making the Pro Bowl in each season and a $250,000 incentive for five or more interceptions each season. The Pro Bowl incentive is LTBE for 2021 since he was selected last season. The interception incentive is NLTBE for 2021 since he had three picks last season.

Bradberry has a $100,000 workout bonus in each offseason that will be earned by participating in 84 percent of the entire voluntary offseason program and 100 percent of the OTA and minicamp practices.

LB Blake Martinez

$1.125M

$5.5M

$6.725M

$8.425M

$5.5M

$14.025M

Notes: The Giants converted $7 million of Martinez’s 2021 salary ($8.125 million) into a bonus on March 23. That reduced his 2021 cap hit by $3.5 million, while adding $3.5 million to his 2022 cap hit. Martinez’s contract has $7 million fully guaranteed remaining: the $7 million restructure bonus.

Martinez has a $100,000 workout bonus in each offseason that will be earned by participating in 84 percent of the entire voluntary offseason program and 100 percent of the OTA and minicamp practices.

OL Nate Solder

$3M

$6.5M

$9.5M

VOID

$4M

$4M

Notes: Solder took a pay cut on March 16 that reduced his 2021 base salary from $9.9 million to $3 million. A $100,000 workout bonus was also erased from his contract. His $3 million salary is fully guaranteed. He had no guaranteed money remaining in his contract before the pay cut. The final year of his contract, 2022, automatically voids after the 2021 season. The Giants will be left with $4 million in dead money in 2022 from Solder’s initial signing bonus.

TE Levine Toilolo

$1.35M

$250K

$1.6M

Notes: Toilolo took a pay cut on March 8 that reduced his 2021 base salary from $2.925 million to $1.35 million. His contract now has $650,000 guaranteed: $400,000 of his 2021 salary ($1.35 million) and a $250,000 signing bonus. He had no guaranteed money remaining in his contract before the pay cut.

CB Isaac Yiadom

$920K

$100K

$50K

$1.07M

Notes: Yiadom took a pay cut on March 30 that reduced his 2021 base salary from $2.1 million to $920,000. His contract now has $100,000 guaranteed: a $100,000 signing bonus. He had no guaranteed money remaining in his contract before the pay cut. Yiadom has a maximum of $50,000 in bonuses for every game he’s active ($2,941 per game in a 17-game season).

Overall takeaways

Co-owner John Mara said after last season’s 6-10 finish that, “I’m tired of sitting up here at the end of the year trying to explain what went wrong and why I feel optimistic about the future.”

That urgency to start winning was demonstrated in the Giants’ approach to free agency. The franchise will pay $92.8 million in 2021 to this offseason’s signings through bonuses and guaranteed salaries. That’s a significant outlay, especially considering the lost revenues caused by COVID-19.

The spending spree caused the Giants to change the way they do business. They backloaded the contracts of their signings and pushed more money into the future by restructuring the deals of Bradberry and Martinez.

“If you’re trying to sign guys in the first wave of free agency, you’re not going to be able to do flat deals like Dave Gettleman wants,” Corry said. “So you’re going to have to be flexible on structure to get the guy to come in.”

The Giants are banking on the salary cap recovering with fans expected back in stadiums this fall and new media deals set for 2023. The cap plummeted from $198.2 million in 2020 to $182.5 million this year.

“I wouldn’t anticipate a huge jump because of TV deals (in 2022),” Corry said. “If it gets back to where it was in 2020, then people should be happy. Don’t forget you have to pay back money that you borrowed to keep the cap from plummeting to $155 million or $160 million (this year). That’s part of it, as well.”

If that’s the case, the Giants will likely be in a similar position next offseason, forced to further kick the can down the road to stay under the cap. But if their big-money signings from this offseason deliver on the field, Mara will gladly foot the bill.

I wonder what the threshold is for "They better win now or Gettleman is out of a job."  Does it mean 9-8 regardless of making the playoffs?  Make the playoffs but doesn't need to get past the wild card round?  More than that?  I sure hope it means they must make the playoffs and win at least 1 game in the playoffs.  

Users who are viewing this thread