What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (3 Viewers)

I know he wasnt arrested but let's be real he said he bought it for protection against the locals? whatever that means ...

He was invoilved in multiple incidents, fights, carring air soft guns on campus, suspensions and he's a rapper that goes by Yung Joka.  I read some teams didnt even have him on their draft boards because if these things. 

I just dont get why you would put yourself in that situation ... He's not Smith , Waddle , or Chase ... He's may not even be  Elijah or Ronadale moore. Is he really worth that kind of risk???

he's an unpolished receiver that doesnt run great routes and has only 1 year of production which wasnt even crazy good. The more I read and the more I hear about this gut the more pissed off I get about this pick ... it's stupid and doesnt make any sense no matter how you look at it  

I think it's really silly that people keep bringing up the fact that he's a rapper like it's a bad thing.  It's a creative outlet for him.  I mean, the very article you linked to made it pretty clear that it was a part of actually keeping him out of trouble for the last few years since the incidents everyone keeps talking about.  

The best thing that came out of the whole ordeal, though, as Dana Toney saw it, was that “the nightlife” his son had been introduced to was over.

“And I said, ‘Find another outlet,” Dana Toney said. “And then Kadarius said: ‘I need a few dollars to go down to the studio.’”
I'm not sure why it's hard to imagine that Judge et al really did do their homework on the kid, really did take the opportunity to meet with him at the Senior Bowl and at other times, and leaned on their coaches who have had a history with him to determine that he was a safe enough pick at 20.  And it sounds like they weren't the only ones to feel that way, unless you think Urban Meyer was just blowing smoke about having his heart broken that the Giants took him before he could a few picks later.

I think it's pretty clear that not only did the Giants think that the young linemen had a good chance to grow and improve together as a unit, but that the best way to help them (at least with the choices that were available to them at any one time) was to limit the defense's ability to attack them.  Adding a WR like Golladay - who is a potential option even when he's not "open" - was step one.  Adding a guy like Toney, who I feel is really going to have to be accounted for whenever he's on the field, and has the potential to get open quicker than anyone else on the roster when pressure is put on the QB, might really take some of the pressure off of the OL.

Yes there are a lot of "might"s and "potential"s in that, but I think it's a rational strategy and hope it works out.

I was going to comment on your draft as a Jets fan, but you guys don't need my opinion. So I pretty much deleted my post. Good day, and good luck to the Giants. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1389197016853516288?s=20

Look how well every expert rated our draft. We ranked 7th out of 32 teams for overall composite score. 
Keep in mind they are taking into account the picks that we received in 2022 from The Bears(#1 Composite score) and the Phins (#4 composite score) ... That doesnt bode well for our draft position for the picks. Also the Chargers who landed Slater were #3 for that reason. Giants 1st pick brought their overall score down a notch or two

Here is what Footballguys Sigmund Bloom had to say about the Giants 1st Round pick 

The New York Giants traded down from 11 to 20, Dave Gettleman’s first-ever trade down, and got Chicago’s first- and fourth-round picks next year and a fifth this year (good!) and took undefined offensive weapon Kadarius Toney (Florida). Jason Garrett isn’t the most creative offensive coordinator to use a “just get the ball in his hands” route runner under construction receiver like Toney and the team already has a somewhat crowded and inefficient passing game.

For the guys down on Toney, does this spot on Good Morning Football from the days before the draft make you feel any better about the pick?  Or at least a little hopeful?  Burleson had a lot of praise (and a few other Tony references like Kadarius Toney Danza) for him, and pretty much described the Giants as a potential team without mentioning their name.

For the guys down on Toney, does this spot on Good Morning Football from the days before the draft make you feel any better about the pick?  Or at least a little hopeful?  Burleson had a lot of praise (and a few other Tony references like Kadarius Toney Danza) for him, and pretty much described the Giants as a potential team without mentioning their name.
I saw this and that's good but the bad outweighs the good ... in fact the more I hear the more I hate the pick. It was a terrible terrible waste of a pick. After a great trade there were plenty of much better options  

1. Giants did not need a WR ...period 
  2. He is a raw receiver with a lot of talent with the ball in his hands
  3. Gadget Reciever ... who may not have the offensive coordinator to get the ball in his hands 
  4. Too many mouths to feed  ... someone(s) is going to lose touches 
  5. Character Concerns
  6. Worst Oline in the NFL 

• I predict the Giants Offense will suck in 2021 and Daniel Jones will bear the brundt .
  • The Giants will package there 2 x 1st round picks to move up and grab an overratted QB in the 2022 draft 
  • The new QB of course will suck as bad or worse than Jone because he will not have an Oline either
  • We will have regressed about 3-5 years in building a team 

Giants Oline was Ranked 31 of 32 NFL teams in 2020 by PFF - They lost their best Olineman Zietler  and made no significant signings and did not draft any Olineman 

The Other 6 teams ranked in the bottom 7 in the league all made signficant Moves to improve their Olines 

It looks like Giants Oline could easily be the worst in the NFL this coming season 

PFF 2020 Oline Rankings

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

32 - Bengals (4th on PFF most Improved List (Signed RT Riley Reiff - Drafted 2nd Rd - G/T - Jackson Carman)

31 - Giants (Lost RG Zeitler signed G Zack Fulton - Drafted - NoOne) 

30 - Chargers (PFF Most Improved - Signed - C Corey Linsle and G Matt Feiler,  Drafted - 1st RD T/G Rashawn Slater)

29 - Jets (Drafted - 1st Rd - G/T Alijah Vera-Tucker,  Signed - G/C Dan Feeney) 

28 - Miami (Drafted - 2nd Rd T Liam Eichenberg)

27 - Dallas (had 3 starters injured last season - Will be much stronger in 2021) 

26 - Vikings (3rd PFF most Improved List ) 

PFF Most improved Olines 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/5/5/22419644/pff-ranks-bengals-offensive-line-among-most-improved

monk said:
I saw this and that's good but the bad outweighs the good ... in fact the more I hear the more I hate the pick. It was a terrible terrible waste of a pick. After a great trade there were plenty of much better options  

1. Giants did not need a WR ...period 
You lost me at #1.

Giants needed another wide receiver.  I agree they needed/need help at OL, but that doesn't mean they didn't need help at other positions as well.  I mean, just take a look at the snap counts to see players that played a significant amount last year:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2020-snap-counts.htm

Darius Slayton - 86.57%

Sterling Shepard - only 55.38%

Golden Tate - 41.86% and gone

Austin Mack - 18.95%

CJ Board - 16.68%

Damion Ratley - 12.44%

I mean, I know they signed Golladay, and I'm a big fan of the move, but he did only play 5 games last year. Shepard 10 games. They also signed Ross, who played 3 games last year, and has never had more than 28 receptions in a season.

They needed another WR even if everyone stays healthy, but I don't think we can count on everyone staying healthy.

There's a similar situation at DB, even though you've implied they didn't need any help there, either.  Those names with significant snaps at CB outside of Bradberry are not at all impressive.

You lost me at #1.

Giants needed another wide receiver.  I agree they needed/need help at OL, but that doesn't mean they didn't need help at other positions as well.  I mean, just take a look at the snap counts to see players that played a significant amount last year:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2020-snap-counts.htm

Darius Slayton - 86.57%

Sterling Shepard - only 55.38%

Golden Tate - 41.86% and gone

Austin Mack - 18.95%

CJ Board - 16.68%

Damion Ratley - 12.44%

I mean, I know they signed Golladay, and I'm a big fan of the move, but he did only play 5 games last year. Shepard 10 games. They also signed Ross, who played 3 games last year, and has never had more than 28 receptions in a season.

They needed another WR even if everyone stays healthy, but I don't think we can count on everyone staying healthy.

There's a similar situation at DB, even though you've implied they didn't need any help there, either.  Those names with significant snaps at CB outside of Bradberry are not at all impressive.
The Giants also have one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL coming back and two very good receiving TEs.

• WR - Galloday, Shepherd and Slayton is a solid 1-3 and behind them you you had Pettis, Ross and Mack at 5-6
  • TE - Engram, Rudolph, Kaden Smith is probably a top 5 TE group inthe NFL 
  • RB - Barkley and Booker ... which is top 3-5 in the NFL 
With the return of Barkley the Giants were essentially adding 4 receiving weapons  before they had even drafted Toney ... Do you really think they needed to spend a 1st round pick on a receiver???? There are plenty of decent free Agent WRs avialble for depth still

Regarding they Oline read my previous post the Giants had the 31st rank oline in the NFL ... They lost their best player and replace him with esentially a journeyman G and they are bringing back Solder who most people think was finished 2 years ago  

It's football and injuries happen but Imagine the impact of an injury at any position on the Oline i.e C or LT ? You want to talk snap count ??? Let's talk about the Giants Oline.

Bottom line is ... Toney with their 1st rd pick was a terrible terrible mistake 

Yeah, I'm solidly in the 'Giants didn't need a WR' camp, but I like Toney because he's not really a WR; he's basically super Dave Meggett or (for a more recent comp) Percy Harvin/Mecole Hardman with better hands. Golladay/Sheperd/Slayton/whatever WR emerges to be the #4 + Saquon, two good TEs and an actual full offseason to teach up the O-Line will work wonders for the team.

Hard to believe Saquon sacrificed an ACL for this. The Maras should be embarrassed. Hoping he signs an extension elsewhere in the offseason where the team has a plan and he can be used creatively. 

Hard to believe Saquon sacrificed an ACL for this. The Maras should be embarrassed. Hoping he signs an extension elsewhere in the offseason where the team has a plan and he can be used creatively. 
congrats on your first post.  welcome.    The Giants picked up Barkley's 5th year option, so he won't be signing elsewhere this off season.

The funny thing is my wife thinks I'm too negative about my Giants.  I should have her read some of this thread.   :)

ESPN’s Mike Clay released stat projections for 300 offensive NFL players heading into 2021, and he has Toney out-performing a few key veteran offensive players for the Giants, including wide receiver Sterling Shepard, wide receiver Darius Slayton and tight end Evan Engram.

Clay’s projection: 57 catches (on 91 targets) for 686 yards and four touchdowns.

Those numbers are better than his projections for Shepard (51 catches, 530 yards, three touchdowns), Slayton (25 catches, 348 yards, two touchdowns), Engram (53 catches, 532 yards, three touchdowns) and tight end Kyle Rudolph (25 catches, 239 yards, two touchdowns).
https://www.nj.com/giants/2021/05/why-an-espn-expert-thinks-giants-kadarius-toney-will-outperform-sterling-shepard-darius-slayton-and-evan-engram-in-2021.html

https://fantasy.espn.com/football/players/projections

Yenrub said:
Yuck !!!!!!! I hope this isn't supposed to be encouraging

First round WR ... 57 catches (on 91 targets) for 686 yards and four touchdowns. Shepard had 656 and 3 TDs in 12 games last year ... and 683 and 8 tds as a rookie. (2020 - Justin Jefferson 1440 and 7 , Ceedee Lamb 935 and 5, Juedy 856 and 3) 

• 2020 - 3 players - Shepard, Slayton and Engram combined for  2000 and 7 (avg 667 and 2.3 TDs)
  • 2021 - 5 players - Shepard, Slayton, Engram, Rudolph and Toney combine for 2300 and 10 (avg 460 yds and 2 TDs) 
I'll take the 2020 Stats 

jhib said:
The funny thing is my wife thinks I'm too negative about my Giants.  I should have her read some of this thread.   :)
If she can handle the truth !

The Athletic - Kadarius Toney, Azeez Ojulari and more: Scouts, execs evaluate NY Giants’ draft class, plus projected roles for rookies

If the link doesn't work for you I tried to include as many links from the article as possible

The Giants earned rave reviews for their recently completed draft. The acclaim was as much for the haul of 2022 picks they acquired by trading back in the first round (Bears’ 2022 first- and fourth-round picks) and second round (Dolphins’ 2022 third-round pick). But the Giants also added a six-member class that includes players who will be expected to contribute immediately.

As the Giants prepare for their rookie minicamp, which begins on Friday, here’s a deeper look at their six picks via Dane Brugler’s draft guide, Bob McGinn’s scouting series and my conversation with an executive from another team. Additionally, I included my projection for each rookie’s role this season.

WR Kadarius Toney

First round • No. 20 overall
Height: 6-0 • Weight: 193
College: Florida • Age: 22

Brugler’s scouting report (No. 4 WR, No. 28 overall): A one-year starter at Florida, Toney lined up across the formation in head coach Dan Mullen’s offense, seeing snaps in the backfield, slot and outside. A former high school quarterback, he was listed as an “athlete” on the Gators roster and battled injuries and transition issues his first three seasons before leading Florida in receptions and receiving yards as a senior. A loose, elastic athlete, Toney routinely makes the first man miss with special start/stop twitch, frustrating would-be tacklers and creating explosive plays. Though he is an improved route runner, he remains a work in progress with his steps and tempo, and his freelancing will backfire at times. Overall, Toney is still more of a gadget player than a polished receiver (and his off-field and durability will be debated in war rooms), but he boasts the one-step burst, body balance and underrated toughness to be a big-play ignitor. He projects as a versatile NFL weapon on offense and special teams.

Scouts’ takes (No. 5 WR): Pros: “That dude’s explosive. He’s got 10-yard acceleration like (Tyreek) Hill.” … “He’s a matchup nightmare for a defense as a slot. He’s got excellent ball skills and feel for the position. He’s strong and competitive with the ball in his hands. In the right system that takes huge advantage of the slot wide receiver, he offers a lot.” Cons: “On green-yellow-red, he’s a yellow (on character concerns).” … “If I’m looking at him through the eyes of a quarterback, I think he’s kind of hard to read. He does so much shake and bake that you don’t know if he’s going left, right or sitting down. Not to take away from his creativity, but to play within a scheme, you’ve got to stay within your own area with your route. This guy is a little all over the map.”

Executive’s take: The executive said Toney had character red flags on his team’s draft board.

“I don’t think he’s a bad kid, I just don’t think it’s necessarily clean,” the executive said. “There’s multiple reasons why it could go wrong. They could be football reasons or they could potentially be off-the-field reasons, too. I don’t know if it’s an automatic buy-in. There’s some qualities to him where he has to trust the coaching staff and if that trust gets burned at all or he feels like for whatever reason he can’t trust his position coach, there’s going to be issues.”

A former high school quarterback, Toney had a breakout senior season, catching 70 passes for 984 yards and 10 touchdowns after totaling just 50 catches, 606 yards and two touchdowns in his first three seasons. He is electric with the ball in his hands but is unpolished as a receiver.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily teaching him how to run routes, which there certainly is going to be a transition for him and he’s certainly more athlete and weapon than he is a refined receiver,” the executive said. “You’re going to have a plan for him on the field. It took him four years to get on the field at Florida for multiple reasons.”

Projected 2021 role: Toney will have a role on offense and as a returner immediately. His offensive role may be smaller than some expect initially as he develops into a more polished receiver, but the Giants will find ways to get him the ball.

Edge Azeez Ojulari

Second round • No. 50 overall
Height: 6-2 • Weight: 249
College: Georgia • Age: 20

Brugler’s scouting report (No. 1 Edge, No. 16 overall): A two-year starter at Georgia, Ojulari lined up as the Jack linebacker in head coach Kirby Smart’s 3-3-5 base scheme, standing up and rushing with his hand on the ground. After a promising redshirt freshman campaign, he was one of the best pass rushers in the SEC in 2020, leading the conference in sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles. Ojulari senses how blockers want to attack him and is very skilled at using his burst/bend to attack their outside shoulder, greasing the corner and detaching from blocks with his violent hands. While he lacks elite size for the position, that shouldn’t limit his NFL ceiling if he continues to diversify his approach and develop his counters. Overall, Ojulari is an instinctive and explosive athlete with the dip-and-rip cornering skills and scheme versatility to become an impact NFL pass rusher. He projects as a younger version of Yannick Ngakoue.

Scouts’ takes (No. 5 Edge): Pros: “He’s athletic and quick with a good get-off. He can get on an edge. He runs well.” Cons: “They played him at end and off the ball, and he gets beat up wherever he is. You love the way he plays, but he’s a little guy. His pass rush is just effort. That’s really what he’s got. I don’t have a role for him.”

Executive’s take: Ojulari was projected to be a first-round pick but concerns about his knee surfaced during the pre-draft process. He tore his ACL as a high school senior and redshirted in his first year at Georgia, but he didn’t miss any time over the past two seasons.

“There was certainly some concern there. But he was on our board,” the executive said. “It didn’t sound like he was managed at Georgia. It could eventually be more of a second contract thing.”

Projected 2021 role: Ojulari will have a major role on defense immediately. Though he may not be a starter in Week 1, he will rank in the top two among Giants edge rushers in snaps this season.

CB Aaron Robinson

Third round • No. 71 overall
Height: 6-0 • Weight: 190
College: Central Florida • Age: 23

Brugler’s scouting report (No. 11 CB, No. 61 overall): A two-year starter at UCF, Robinson played nickel back in defensive coordinator Randy Shannon’s scheme, lining up mostly versus the slot receiver while also seeing reps on the outside. After three non-descript seasons to start his college career (one at Alabama, two at UCF), he earned All-AAC honors the past two seasons with 20 passes defended in 22 games. Robinson is a quick-footed, urgent athlete with excellent turn-and-run skills to stay in phase versus route speed. He reacts quickly to find the football, but his mental process isn’t a strength to his game. Overall, Robinson needs to add more discipline and anticipation to his play style, but he boasts NFL-level athleticism and toughness with the inside/outside versatility to play various roles in an NFL secondary.

Scouts’ takes (No. 11 CB): Pros: “Best nickel defender in the draft. He’s got everything you want.” … “He is tough as hell. He’s got short-area cover quickness and twitch. You don’t really want him on the outside covering, but as a slot-hybrid type of guy, he’s a really good player.” Cons: “The thing that holds him back is the consistency of the instincts. Sometimes he gets sloppy.”

Executive’s take: “They signed the two outside corners (James Bradberry and Adoree’ Jackson) so Aaron Robinson will be an upgrade at the nickel spot for them,” the executive said.

Projected 2021 role: Robinson will win a competition with Darnay Holmes for the starting slot cornerback job.

Edge Elerson Smith

Fourth round • No. 116 overall
Height: 6-6 • Weight: 262
College: Northern Iowa • Age: 22

Brugler’s scouting report (No. 23 Edge, No. 176 overall): A one-year starter at Northern Iowa, Smith lined up at left defensive end in defensive coordinator Jeremiah Johnson’s scheme, which alternated between even and odd fronts. Underdeveloped out of high school, he steadily improved over his time in Cedar Falls with an All-American junior season, ranking top-five in the FCS in tackles for loss, sacks and forced fumbles (unfortunately, that was his only season as a starter with the 2020 fall season canceled). Smith is a long athlete (looks more like a tight end) with the lateral quicks to cross the face of blockers and the open-field speed to make plays in pursuit. He has physical hands and plays hard, but he struggles to stack and shed and can be overwhelmed by blockers. Overall, Smith is an inconsistent edge-setter and struggles to play through contact, but he is a toolsy pass-rush prospect with intriguing length, explosiveness and effort. He projects as a rotational outside pass rusher (some scouts are intrigued with him at tight end).

Scouts’ takes (No. 17 edge): Smith was McGinn’s “unsung hero” at edge rusher. “One evaluator said Smith has the ability to bend around the corner much like (Northern Iowa alum and four-time Pro Bowler) Bryce Paup … Smith is much better rushing the passer than playing the run.”

Executive’s take: The executive didn’t study Smith closely enough to offer an assessment.

Projected 2021 role: Smith’s role on defense will be minimal early in the season, but he could develop into a situational pass rusher.

RB Gary Brightwell

Sixth round • No. 196 overall
Height: 5-11 • Weight: 215
College: Arizona • Age: 23

Brugler’s scouting report (No. 27 RB, not ranked in top 300): After spending his freshman season at slot receiver, he returned to running back where he was a backup for two years before becoming the starter in 2020 and drawing NFL attention. Brightwell is an intriguing size/speed back with the one-cut burst to sharply jet away from trouble. However, his run style lacks tempo and his below-average contact balance limits tackle-breaking opportunities despite his developed frame and run toughness. Overall, Brightwell has unreliable tendencies (poor execution in pass pro; five fumbles in 2020) and lacks an established body of work, but he is an athletic slasher with receiving upside and traits that also translate to special teams.

Scouts’ take: N/A. Brightwell didn’t make McGinn’s list of the top 21 running backs.

Executive’s take: The executive didn’t like either of the Giants’ sixth-round picks, Brightwell or Rodarius Williams, as prospects.

Projected 2021 role: Brightwell will be a core special-teamer. His role on offense will be minimal unless there are injuries in the backfield.

CB Rodarius Williams

Sixth round • No. 201 overall
Height: 6-0 • Weight: 193
College: Oklahoma State • Age: 24

Brugler’s scouting report (No. 32 CB, No. 234 overall): A four-year starter at Oklahoma State, Williams was the left cornerback in defensive coordinator Jim Knowles’ scheme, playing mostly man coverage. Better known by some as Greedy’s older brother (which is a motivation tool for him), he worked himself into draftable territory with his improvements as an upperclassman, allowing only 40.9% completions in 2020. Williams was asked to play extensively on an island and appeared to see things quicker with additional reps, proving himself as a catch point disruptor. He has outstanding compete skills, although he tends to rely on his aggressiveness over trusting his technique. Overall, Williams needs to tighten up his timing and finishing skills, but he is experienced and confident and projects best in a Cover-2 scheme.

Scouts’ take: N/A. McGinn reviewed the top 12 cornerbacks; Williams ranked 14th.

Executive’s take: The executive didn’t give Williams any consideration since he was a late-round prospect who turns 25 in September.

“He’s not very good,” the executive said. “I was like, ‘What are we doing? Take this guy off the board.’”

Projected 2021 role: Williams will be on the roster bubble. If he makes the team, he’ll compete for a role on special teams. His role on defense will be minimal.

The Giants have also signed three undrafted free agents: Florida center/guard Brett Heggie, Georgia Southern edge rusher Raymond Johnson III and Baylor guard/tackle Jake Burton.

• Heggie was Brugler’s 11th-ranked center: Heggie started at left guard as a redshirt freshman before injuries sidelined him. He returned to the starting lineup as a junior and started 24 games the last two years at left guard, right guard and center. Heggie has projectable size and awareness desired at the center position. He is quick to introduce his hands and work his body into position, but he doesn’t play with thunder in his punch to jolt/control defenders. He is too content to stalemate the point of attack, lacking the drive power to create consistent movement. Overall, Heggie is a tough, physical blocker with experience at center and guard, but he doesn’t have ideal power or athleticism for the NFL game.

• Johnson was Brugler’s 41st-ranked edge rusher: A three-star recruit, Johnson committed to Georgia Southern where he started as a true freshman and his tackles for loss increased each of the last four seasons (earned all-conference all four years). He set career-bests as a senior, finishing second in the Sun Belt with 14.5 tackles for loss. Lined up over the tackle in Georgia Southern’s three-man front, Johnson creates his own pass-rush lanes due to his physicality, relying on his heavy hands to swat and displace blockers. He isn’t a natural bender and will struggle when he attempts to corner. His effort stays consistent, but he isn’t the most instinctive or rangy edge defender and needs to improve his contain skills. Overall, Johnson isn’t a top-tier athlete for NFL edge work, but he is skilled at forcing his way through blocks due to his disruptive hands and contact balance.

• Burton was Brugler’s 39th-ranked guard.

Not exactly glowing reviews ... 3 years in a row that the Giants make everyone say WTF !?!?! with their first round pick and then we all try to convince ourselves that it was the right choice.

There is a very good reason the Giants have been the worst team in the NFL over the past 4 seasons

My son( who lives in Georgia) just called me(I live in Central Florida)and wished me a Happy Fathers Day. I was perplexed until he said "We're going to The Giants/Bucs Monday Night game on November 22nd. Two tickets,20 yard line,7th row,behind The Giants bench." Time to dust off my Bavaro #89 jersey and watch The G.O.A.T. run for his life! Seriously,can we make him run for his life? This will be game 10 for The G-Men. What do ya'll think...at least 5-4 going in?

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan

Another interesting tryout this weekend with Giants: RB Corey Clement. He was a Super Bowl hero for the Eagles a few years back. He has a chance to impress now w/NFC rival. Giants can still use depth at RB.

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan

Another interesting tryout this weekend with Giants: RB Corey Clement. He was a Super Bowl hero for the Eagles a few years back. He has a chance to impress now w/NFC rival. Giants can still use depth at RB.
This is interesting ... Clement was pretty good with the Eagles, He  hasnt turned 27 yet, he's from Jersey,  he could run, catch, and plays special teams (including punt and KRs) . If he's healthy and can pass protect as well he should be a slam dunk to make the team. 

I havent read anything positive about Brightwell the Giants 6th round pick other than he plays special teams and that is probably why the Giants drafted him (a throw away pick if you ask me) Most of the analyst we're surprised that they drafted him if they were going to take a RB at that spot ... I dont see him making the roster over Clement ...maybe practice squad

Barkley, Booker and Clement would be a nice versitile game day stable of RBs 

@art_stapleton

Corey Clement has signed with the Giants after spending the last two days as a tryout at their rookie camp.

Source: Corey Clement/IG

Yenrub said:
Looks like they are signing Benjamin as well
If I had known they were looking for someone who's out of shape and hasn't played football in years, I would have gone in for a tryout.

Seriously, though, I doubt there's any guaranteed money in the contract and he probably won't make the final roster anyway.  Between Engram, Rudolph and Smith they don't have much room at TE.  They will probably carry 1 more but he will have to also play special teams.

If I had known they were looking for someone who's out of shape and hasn't played football in years, I would have gone in for a tryout.

Seriously, though, I doubt there's any guaranteed money in the contract and he probably won't make the final roster anyway.  Between Engram, Rudolph and Smith they don't have much room at TE.  They will probably carry 1 more but he will have to also play special teams.
Yeah I'm pretty sure Benjamin isn't getting much money. Maybe he can push the 3rd and 4th TE's on the roster but I doubt he does more than that.

A lot of Giants fans on social media were calling for the Giants to trade Engram after the signing.  If Engram was going to be traded I think it would have happened by now.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Benjamin isn't getting much money. Maybe he can push the 3rd and 4th TE's on the roster but I doubt he does more than that.

A lot of Giants fans on social media were calling for the Giants to trade Engram after the signing.  If Engram was going to be traded I think it would have happened by now.
Dont forget Rudolph is coming off of foot surgery and may not be 100% to start the season

Why do I have the feeling that Mark Bavaro could come out of retirement right now and be the best tight end in the room?

SI article: Sterling Shepard on Joe Judge

"He's a tough coach, man," Shepard said of Judge. "He's tough coach, but that's what we needed. For the previous two coaches, we didn't do any conditioning or anything like that. But I will say last year was my first year of really having a conditioning--it kind of felt like Oklahoma all over again."

what the hell were slick Ben and adult in room Pat doing?   no wonder.

SI article: Sterling Shepard on Joe Judge

"He's a tough coach, man," Shepard said of Judge. "He's tough coach, but that's what we needed. For the previous two coaches, we didn't do any conditioning or anything like that. But I will say last year was my first year of really having a conditioning--it kind of felt like Oklahoma all over again."

what the hell were slick Ben and adult in room Pat doing?   no wonder.
Being in shape and having good conditioning doesn't really matter when it comes to football.  Unlike baseball, football isn't a very active or physical sport.

Note from mini camp: first-round pick Kadarius Toney barely participated in the team drills or many routes after having issues finding the right shoes on the first day.

Off to a good start

congrats on your first post.  welcome.    The Giants picked up Barkley's 5th year option, so he won't be signing elsewhere this off season.
Thanks for the welcome. I Came in a little hot, my bad. Saquon is one of my favorite college fb players ever and a staple on my dynasty teams, so I'm a little sensitive. 

Yes, Saquon is coming back this year. At his price it was obvious for NYG. Per Jason at OTC: https://overthecap.com/is-saquon-barkleys-option-fair-for-the-player/

Vegas has the Giants winning 7 games this year, coming in 3rd in NFC East, and missing the playoffs. Assuming that happens, is DJones gone? is Gettlemen gone? Judge gone? Complete overhaul? If going through a complete rebuild why pay a top 3 salary to a RB? To sell tickets?

Doubt this thread wants to discuss next offseason just yet, but the above is something I'll be paying close attention to throughout this year and into next. 

Thanks for the welcome. I Came in a little hot, my bad. Saquon is one of my favorite college fb players ever and a staple on my dynasty teams, so I'm a little sensitive. 

Yes, Saquon is coming back this year. At his price it was obvious for NYG. Per Jason at OTC: https://overthecap.com/is-saquon-barkleys-option-fair-for-the-player/

Vegas has the Giants winning 7 games this year, coming in 3rd in NFC East, and missing the playoffs. Assuming that happens, is DJones gone? is Gettlemen gone? Judge gone? Complete overhaul? If going through a complete rebuild why pay a top 3 salary to a RB? To sell tickets?

Doubt this thread wants to discuss next offseason just yet, but the above is something I'll be paying close attention to throughout this year and into next. 
All valid questions.   Many of us back then didn't want the touched by the hand of god rb at #2.    if we put up a 5-7 win season then IMO some folks are gonna be gone.   Of the names you mention, for some reason, i think Judge may stick.   With 2 1sts next year, wouldn't surprise me if Judge wants to pick his QB.   

All valid questions.   Many of us back then didn't want the touched by the hand of god rb at #2.    if we put up a 5-7 win season then IMO some folks are gonna be gone.   Of the names you mention, for some reason, i think Judge may stick.   With 2 1sts next year, wouldn't surprise me if Judge wants to pick his QB.   
I'm probably one of the only peeps on this board who wanted Barkley and I still wouldnt change the pick for the following reason. ... If the Giants didnt pick Barkley they were likely to take Darnold or Josh Rosen both of whom would have been a disaster and long gone.

Barkley's epic Rookie season is soooooo under appreciated it's crazy. He had over 2000 total yards and 15 TDs ... 91 Receptions over 700 yds and  4 Tds  ... If Toney puts up those receiving numbers as a rookie (he won't ) we will all being saying what a great pick he was. Barkley did that on top of rushing for 1300 yds and 11 TDs with a crap Oline 

The problem wasnt picking Barkley ... it was neglecting the Oline for the next 3 seasons and giving him no blocking or protection up front. I'd rather blow a 1st rd pick on a sure thing RB then take a shot in the dark with a garbage QB or blow the 4th pick of the draft on the 4th best OT avilable.(Thomas) 

I didnt like the Daniel Jones pick but I think he is a capable QB (more capable the Darnold or Rosen) but no QB is going to be successful behind a crap Oline regardless of the offesnsive weapons he has. Even Mahomes looked like garbage with a superbowl roster and weapons when his oline fell appart in the SB.

Jones and Barkley are being setup to fail and both will probably be gone if the Giants only win 7 games next season. Thankfully Gettleman will also be gone ... as he should be.

Judge is not going anywhere,  he will be picking his own QB of the future and I guarantee you he will be investing heavily in an oline to protect his new QB. 

Barkley will have success whever he lands and Jones will have success if he lands on a team with a good Oline and decent weapons

WFT (not to be confused with WTF)  Releases Morgan Moses: is he a fit for NY Giants at right tackle?

https://gmenhq.com/2021/05/21/wft-releases-morgan-moses-fit-ny-giants-right-tackle/

I say hell yes !! Worst case it creates competition 

Moses is coming off his best season ever according to PFF and would essily have been our best olineman last season.

Giants have 2 very big Question Marks at OT ...Peart and Solder ???  If either of them work out and they sign Moses ...maybe they can swing Thomas inside to Guard and have Peart, Moses, and Solder at theTackles.

I think Thomas could be a beast at G for a year or two before moving him back to a tackle spot when Soldier is gone.  

Or see if Moses can transition to Guard  ... 

Users who are viewing this thread