What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (5 Viewers)

Practice Squad signings 

Art Stapleton

@art_stapleton
Giants PS, at the moment
WR David Sills
WR Matt Cole
WR Damion Willis
TE Ryan Izzo
TE Nakia Griffin-Stewart
TE Jake Hausmann
LB Niko Lalos
OL Brett Heggie

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoSNY

TE Evan Engram (calf) isn’t practicing today, but RB Saquon Barkley, WR Kenny Golladay, WR Kadarius Toney and TE Kyle Rudolph are all out there for the start.
Notable because a) Barkley is trying to ramp up to a 15 carry threshold in a week and a half. b) Golladay needs reps c) Toney needs to do things with the team. d) Rudolph is probably the starting TE until further notice because I fully expect Engram to be put on IR-Eligible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notable because a) Barkley is trying to ramp up to a 15 carry threshold in a week and a half. b) Golladay needs reps c) Toney needs to do things with the team. d) Rudolph is probably the starting TE until further notice because I fully expect Engram to be put on IR-Eligible.
This is great news ! This plus the youth, depth and competition that they have added on the Oline is giving me a much better vibe. Only problem is they may need a few weeks to gel ... Luckily there is a bye week going into the season and hopefully we can get by the 1st couple of games 

One Step Forward Two steps back

Andrew Thomas in middle of Giants’ latest offensive line reshuffling (in other words benched)

https://nypost.com/2021/09/02/andrew-thomas-in-middle-of-giants-offensive-line-reshuffling/
Different article talking about Thomas (and Peart)

Last year, Thomas often would “over-shoot his target” to the outside on pass rushes. That’s how former offensive line coach Marc Colombo phrased it last year, calling it a “cardinal sin” for an offensive lineman to lose inside leverage.

Now Thomas’ issue is that he’s not properly firing out wide enough in his pass sets, which led to most of the pressures he gave up against the Patriots. Giants offensive line coach Rob Sale referred to it as Thomas’ “Achilles heel” and said it’s also been an issue for right tackle Matt Peart.

Thomas is not “throwing his hips, punching and sliding his feet in transition,” Sale said on Thursday. “Everybody across the board has something: This is his weakness, this is their weakness. Andrew knows that. My job is to get him in drills and get him to stop doing that. That’s why I’m here to coach that out of him, to get him to punch, slide his feet and fight off the edge.”

Thomas is a technique OL, which means he's got to get reps and adjust/figure it out week to week. It's not bad when you're on and just have to make little adjustments; that's how he got better as the year went along last year. But this is his 1st real camp and he's all over the place. I'm really not worried about him since he'll figure it out; it's just whether this is a 1-game blip.

Jason Garrett on DJ

On his confidence in Jones, Garrett said: "I think he's done a lot of good things. Obviously, he hadn't played in the preseason until the game the other night and if you look at that tape, there's a lot of positives on that tape. There were a couple of really bad decisions, a couple of things that he's going to continue to learn from, but there are a lot of positives in how he's playing. I think he's in general getting the ball out of his hand quicker, he's more decisive, he's making a lot of good throws. We’ve just got to make sure we clean up some of the plays that we want to have back. He knows that and we all know that, and he'll continue to grow from the experiences the more he plays."

Week 2 is a short week for the Giants. Open with Denver on Sunday then travel down to Washington for a Thursday night game. I wonder if their real goal is week 2 against Washington. Gives Saquon a little more time on both ends of that game.

Boy Peter King went in - https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/05/super-bowl-lvi-prediction-nfl-picks-fmia-peter-king/

1. I think the Giants made two moves for the offensive line this week that left me scratching my head—and left me worried for Daniel Jones and that offense. They trade a useful defensive lineman, former Giants third-round pick B.J. Hill, to Cincinnati for Billy Price, a guard-center bust. Price, per PFF, is the league’s 86th-rated center out of 89 who have played the position since he entered the league in 2018. His guard grade is no better. Then the Giants traded a fourth-round pick in 2023 to the Ravens for guard Ben Bredeson (who I was told was unlikely to make the Ravens’ roster), and late fifth and seventh-round picks. If you look at the where those picks in the Bredeson were in the 2021 draft, the fourth-rounder would be 116th overall, the fifth-rounder 175th overall and the seventh-rounder 254th. The value of the 116th pick on the draft-trade value chart is 62 points, and the lesser two picks the Giants received are worth 21 and 1 points. So Bredeson, to be worth this trade, almost has to become either a contributing swing player for multiple years, or a starter. A big ask for someone who played 48 offensive snaps in 2020.

So now GM Dave Gettleman is responsible for importing all eight active offensive linemen on the Giants’ roster, at a total cost of $122.6 million. (Big-ticket guys: Nate Solder, who has two years of his four-year $62-million contract remaining, and Andrew Thomas, who has three years of his four-year, $32.3-million deal left. Solder has been okay, Thomas poor—and he was the first tackle picked in a rich 2020 draft crop for tackles.) The bottom line is if the line struggles to give Jones time this year and the Giants don’t somehow win seven or eight games, it’s going to be tough for Gettleman to be handed the reins for a fifth draft in New Jersey.
I don't know if I posted this ever, but for all the 'analytics' Dave Gettleman said he/his staff does now, he clearly does not/has never believed in the Draft Trade Chart.

Boy Peter King went in - https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/05/super-bowl-lvi-prediction-nfl-picks-fmia-peter-king/

1. I think the Giants made two moves for the offensive line this week that left me scratching my head—and left me worried for Daniel Jones and that offense. They trade a useful defensive lineman, former Giants third-round pick B.J. Hill, to Cincinnati for Billy Price, a guard-center bust. Price, per PFF, is the league’s 86th-rated center out of 89 who have played the position since he entered the league in 2018. His guard grade is no better. Then the Giants traded a fourth-round pick in 2023 to the Ravens for guard Ben Bredeson (who I was told was unlikely to make the Ravens’ roster), and late fifth and seventh-round picks. If you look at the where those picks in the Bredeson were in the 2021 draft, the fourth-rounder would be 116th overall, the fifth-rounder 175th overall and the seventh-rounder 254th. The value of the 116th pick on the draft-trade value chart is 62 points, and the lesser two picks the Giants received are worth 21 and 1 points. So Bredeson, to be worth this trade, almost has to become either a contributing swing player for multiple years, or a starter. A big ask for someone who played 48 offensive snaps in 2020.
I don't know if I posted this ever, but for all the 'analytics' Dave Gettleman said he/his staff does now, he clearly does not/has never believed in the Draft Trade Chart.

What an odd analysis by King.  First, he gets the year wrong - the 4th the Giants gave up and the 5th they received are 2022 picks. Only the 7th they got was 2023.  He then calls them "late fifth and seventh-round picks" when the order isn't known and there's certainly no guarantee that the Ravens will pick as late as 27th next year (or the Giants as early as 11, for that matter).  But even going with his assumptions and his hypothetical situation where the draft positions are the same, the difference between what the Giants received and what they gave up is 40 points on the Chart - basically, an early 5th round pick (like a Shawn Lemieux).  There aren't typically a lot of starters to be found in that part of the draft, so it is a little harsh to say that's the only way the trade would be worthwhile.  I guess "multi-year contributing swing player" is a lot less specific, but still. 

What an odd analysis by King.  First, he gets the year wrong - the 4th the Giants gave up and the 5th they received are 2022 picks. Only the 7th they got was 2023.  He then calls them "late fifth and seventh-round picks" when the order isn't known and there's certainly no guarantee that the Ravens will pick as late as 27th next year (or the Giants as early as 11, for that matter).  But even going with his assumptions and his hypothetical situation where the draft positions are the same, the difference between what the Giants received and what they gave up is 40 points on the Chart - basically, an early 5th round pick (like a Shawn Lemieux).  There aren't typically a lot of starters to be found in that part of the draft, so it is a little harsh to say that's the only way the trade would be worthwhile.  I guess "multi-year contributing swing player" is a lot less specific, but still. 
The way I see it ... 

The Giants added 3 young experienced offensive lineman last week ...All 3 of them are likely better then a healthy Lemeiux and certainly better than an injured Lemeiux and 2 of them have experience at Center (so Nice Depth). Having depth at center allows Gates to be a very valuable utility lineman who could play G if Lemeix fails or RT if Soldier and Peart fail 

Price and Bredeson are both very physical IOLs, who are good against run and have a higher upside then Lemeiux and maybe even gates on the interior.

Price was the Rimington award winner for best Center in the country in 2018 and a 1st round talent. He has had some injuries that have probably impacted his play including a torn pectoral muscle and a lisfranc. He was said to be having a good preseason and with good coaching could be a steal. 

Bredeson was also said to be having a good preseason but the Ravens had already added Zietler and 3rd rd picks  Ben Cleveland in 2021 and Tyree Phillips in 2020

link

Welcome back, Saquon Barkley.

The four words Giants fans have been dying to hear since Week 2 of last season — when Barkley tore his ACL — are finally near.

Joe Judge all but confirmed Barkley will play Sunday against the Broncos. He still needs to gain medical clearance after Friday’s practice.

What could stop him?

“Some kind of a setback or something that’s unforeseen with how his body responds,’ Judge said.

Judge also shut down the idea that Barkley will play on some sort of injury-protective limit for his touches.

link

Welcome back, Saquon Barkley.

The four words Giants fans have been dying to hear since Week 2 of last season — when Barkley tore his ACL — are finally near.

Joe Judge all but confirmed Barkley will play Sunday against the Broncos. He still needs to gain medical clearance after Friday’s practice.

What could stop him?

“Some kind of a setback or something that’s unforeseen with how his body responds,’ Judge said.

Judge also shut down the idea that Barkley will play on some sort of injury-protective limit for his touches.
:banned:

Giants Inactives:

WR Collin Johnson
CB Josh Jackson
CB Sam Beal  
LB Justin Hilliard
TE Evan Engram
LB Quincy Roche

Broncos Inactives:

OLB Bradley Chubb
OT Cameron Fleming
DE McTelvin Agim
FS Jamar Johnson
CB Kary Vincent
RB Nate McCrary
TE Andrew Beck

The worst thing about this is that evreything that was a problem today was a problem last year 

• Oline cant pass block or run block ... It is Amazing how bad they are! The only Hog Mollie on this team is Gettleman. How was Peart still in his stance while Von Miller was sacking Jones???
  • Horrible play calling ... Jason Garrett has got to be fired if he doesn't turn things around immediately. Barkley up the middle is probably the worst call in the NFL and the Giants do that on 90% of their run plays 
  • No pressure on the QB. Bridgewater had so much time to throw especially when the giants needed a big stop
  • Sucking in the Red Zone ... every time they got there they stalled ... See (Jason Garrett) 
  • And Jones untimely mistakes! In his defense jones had no time to throw, no running game and put up overall good numbers ... but the fumble basically ended the game for the Giants.
Today the Giants added missed tackles to their repertoire. Broncos running backs were getting an extra couple of yards on every run,  Blake Matinez had a gigantic missed tackle and Bradberry just decided that he wasnt going to tackle at all  today.

Oh and lets not forget to give Joe Judge credit for throwing a red flag on a scoring play and losing a timeout !!! How long has this guy been in the NFL??? Also Garrett is Judges responsibilty ... He needs to hold him accountable or be held accountable!!! And what is so special about the Giants Special teams that justifies allocating so many resources?? Judge has been thouroughly unimpressive as a head coach  

April 28th 2022....With the 1st pick in this year’s draft, the New York Giants select Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma. The New York Jets are on the clock.

The worst thing about this is that evreything that was a problem today was a problem last year 

• Oline cant pass block or run block ... It is Amazing how bad they are! The only Hog Mollie on this team is Gettleman. How was Peart still in his stance while Von Miller was sacking Jones???
  • Horrible play calling ... Jason Garrett has got to be fired if he doesn't turn things around immediately. Barkley up the middle is probably the worst call in the NFL and the Giants do that on 90% of their run plays 
  • No pressure on the QB. Bridgewater had so much time to throw especially when the giants needed a big stop
  • Sucking in the Red Zone ... every time they got there they stalled ... See (Jason Garrett) 
  • And Jones untimely mistakes! In his defense jones had no time to throw, no running game and put up overall good numbers ... but the fumble basically ended the game for the Giants.
Today the Giants added missed tackles to their repertoire. Broncos running backs were getting an extra couple of yards on every run,  Blake Matinez had a gigantic missed tackle and Bradberry just decided that he wasnt going to tackle at all  today.

Oh and lets not forget to give Joe Judge credit for throwing a red flag on a scoring play and losing a timeout !!! How long has this guy been in the NFL??? Also Garrett is Judges responsibilty ... He needs to hold him accountable or be held accountable!!! And what is so special about the Giants Special teams that justifies allocating so many resources?? Judge has been thouroughly unimpressive as a head coach  
:shrug:  The OL played better than I thought they would. They weren't good by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think they were terrible. Thomas in particular looked better than he did in the preseason.

Jones' overall numbers look good due to garbage time stats. I think he was something like 7 of 10 for 80 yards AFTER Gordon's TD run. 

:shrug:  The OL played better than I thought they would. They weren't good by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think they were terrible. Thomas in particular looked better than he did in the preseason.

Jones' overall numbers look good due to garbage time stats. I think he was something like 7 of 10 for 80 yards AFTER Gordon's TD run. 
Giant RBs were 14 for 33 yds ... Run Blocking was absolutely horrible.   

Where to start? 

Down double digits in the 4th and trying to start a fight because the ####ty QB got tackled? Bush league - fake tough guys trying to fight bc they can't win the game. Giants OL are so bad at what they are paid to do they have to find alternate ways to "add value."

28 year-old Melvin Gordon outruns James Bradberry and former sprinter Adoree Jackson 70 yards for a TD...? How is that possible?

QB running in a meaningless TD down 20 with no time left on the clock is JV-level embarrassing. The Giants O dapping each other up after scoring to go down 13 as the game ended is pure comedy and perfectly NYG.

Please, for the betterment of football, free Saquon. There isn't a single other player on the roster close to as talented as he is. It's selfish (and bad for the game) for the Giants to keep him.   

I feel for you who root for this.

Wellington = Genius, John = #######?

Third year for Jones and I see no improvement where it was needed. Costly turnovers,bad decisions. O-line,meh.

Didn't expect much from Barkley,good to see him on the field. Golladay's the real deal,if only he had a quality QB.

Defense underperformed imop. Short week,in Washington,similiar if not better defense. 0-2 looks real.

It's only week one,not gonna set my hair on fire.....yet. One positive,Bears lost.

Garbage time stats per the Athletic

Jones completed 22 of 37 passes for 267 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions, although a few dangerous passes were dropped by Broncos defenders. Jones wasn’t bad throwing the ball, but his stat line was inflated by completing 9 of 13 passes for 97 yards during two late garbage-time drives. The Giants reached 13 points when Jones scored on a 4-yard run on the final play of the game.
Also note the 3 dropped interceptions 

Where to start? 

Down double digits in the 4th and trying to start a fight because the ####ty QB got tackled? Bush league - fake tough guys trying to fight bc they can't win the game. Giants OL are so bad at what they are paid to do they have to find alternate ways to "add value."

28 year-old Melvin Gordon outruns James Bradberry and former sprinter Adoree Jackson 70 yards for a TD...? How is that possible?

QB running in a meaningless TD down 20 with no time left on the clock is JV-level embarrassing. The Giants O dapping each other up after scoring to go down 13 as the game ended is pure comedy and perfectly NYG.

Please, for the betterment of football, free Saquon. There isn't a single other player on the roster close to as talented as he is. It's selfish (and bad for the game) for the Giants to keep him.   

I feel for you who root for this.

Wellington = Genius, John = #######?
Saquan is not absolved of blame ... He has been as bad as everyone the past couple of years. Hes been tip toeing around the backfield looking for holes that are never going to come. He has to start running like a man and make people not want to tackle him. Denver RBs were putting theirs heads down and running over Giants for 2 or 3 yards when there wasnt a hole.

On one particular play Saquan had an opportunity to bounce one play outside but didnt trust his speed and cut back inside to a pile of mess. He's also not bouncing anything outside when there is nothing up the middle.

In the receiving game he dropped 2 passes right in his hands and fell down on the only pass he caught with 5 yards in front of him!

Saquan looks like crap to me !  in decisive with no burst at all !

Third year for Jones and I see no improvement where it was needed. Costly turnovers,bad decisions. O-line,meh.

Didn't expect much from Barkley,good to see him on the field. Golladay's the real deal,if only he had a quality QB.

Defense underperformed imop. Short week,in Washington,similiar if not better defense. 0-2 looks real.

It's only week one,not gonna set my hair on fire.....yet. One positive,Bears lost.
O-line,meh? ... Oline was crap not meh. They pass blocked a little better but for the most part Jones had no time 

Thomas played good because Chubb was out but the rest of the Oline was garbage! Peart and Soldier need not be on the field ... They may as well just leave a blank space at RT.  Guards and Centers cant open up a hole if their lives depended on it 

Users who are viewing this thread