What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (1 Viewer)

Dan Quinn was a good HC, boy blunder shanahan lost a blowout SB win for his falcons. 28-3 lead blown.all on Shanahan.

Pederson is too smarmy too arrogant too much ' i know better than you' kinda coach. he'd totally waste whatever career Saquon has left by never utilizing the  position. terrible hire. and giants would never grab an ex Eagles HC. nevvah.

Ben McA-dont hired by Panthers as OC.lol.good luck with  that Carolina!!

Dan Quinn was a good HC, boy blunder shanahan lost a blowout SB win for his falcons. 28-3 lead blown.all on Shanahan.

Pederson is too smarmy too arrogant too much ' i know better than you' kinda coach. he'd totally waste whatever career Saquon has left by never utilizing the  position. terrible hire. and giants would never grab an ex Eagles HC. nevvah.

Ben McA-dont hired by Panthers as OC.lol.good luck with  that Carolina!!
McAdoo wasn’t bad in the OC role for Giants. He was the OC  2014 & 2015

2014 – 10th in total offense / 13th in scoring

2015 – 8th in total offense / 6th in scoring

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Giants are conducting a second interview with Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll for the team's head coaching vacancy. 

It's looking more and more like the Giants -- with former Buffalo executive Joe Schoen in place as GM -- are leaning toward Daboll as the team's next head coach. Daboll's offense put on another majestic display Sunday night in Buffalo's Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs. The Giants hiring Daboll would be a boon for Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley, Kadarius Toney, and the rest of the team's skill position players. Moving from play-caller Jason Garrett to Daboll would represent the team's entrance into 21st century offensive football. 

- Tom Pelissero, Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Dan Quinn interviewed today. I also saw that the Bengals DC was going to get an interview as well.

Patrick Graham is interviewing for the Steelers DC position

John Mara on Giants QB Daniel Jones: “We’ve done everything possible to screw this kid up since he’s been here. … We certainly have not given up on Daniel Jones”.

link

Giants co-owner John Mara: “We are not trading for Deshaun Watson. There are so many reasons why we wouldn’t do it.” He mentions both the fact the Giants can’t afford it, and the sexual assault allegations hanging over him.

link

Schoen interview with Shaun O'Hara - about 10 minutes long.

John Mara on Giants QB Daniel Jones: “We’ve done everything possible to screw this kid up since he’s been here. … We certainly have not given up on Daniel Jones”.

link

Giants co-owner John Mara: “We are not trading for Deshaun Watson. There are so many reasons why we wouldn’t do it.” He mentions both the fact the Giants can’t afford it, and the sexual assault allegations hanging over him.

link
Based on that, it sounds like they are going to give Jones another chance, which means that hiring Daboll would seem to be the logical choice.

New Giants GM Joe Schoen: “We will build an offense around Daniel that accentuates his strengths”

Schoen regarding the Oline : "If you want to see Daniel Jones put his best foot forward, he's got to be on his feet. If you want to see what Saquon can do, it would be nice if we could block guys." "The offensive line will be a priority as we move into the offseason"

New Giants GM Joe Schoen: “We will build an offense around Daniel that accentuates his strengths”

Schoen regarding the Oline : "If you want to see Daniel Jones put his best foot forward, he's got to be on his feet. If you want to see what Saquon can do, it would be nice if we could block guys." "The offensive line will be a priority as we move into the offseason"
Didn't Gettleman say the same thing when he was hired lol? Hopefully, for you Giant's fans, Schoen will be better at building a good offensive line.

Okay, question for you guys: all signs indicate that the Texans are willing to trade pro bowl LT Laremy Tunsil. The Giants seem interested in keeping Daniel Jones and building him a good OL. Do you think the Texans could trade Tunsil and their second round pick (2.5) to the Giants for the Giants 2nd 1st round pick (1.7)? Would you guys do that trade? I haven't heard any rumors on this, just speculating who might be good trade partners for the Texans for Tunsil.

Tunsil has two years left on his contract at about $18 million in salary each season. Texans would of course keep all the salary cap hits for his signing bonus.

Okay, question for you guys: all signs indicate that the Texans are willing to trade pro bowl LT Laremy Tunsil. The Giants seem interested in keeping Daniel Jones and building him a good OL. Do you think the Texans could trade Tunsil and their second round pick (2.5) to the Giants for the Giants 2nd 1st round pick (1.7)? Would you guys do that trade? I haven't heard any rumors on this, just speculating who might be good trade partners for the Texans for Tunsil.

Tunsil has two years left on his contract at about $18 million in salary each season. Texans would of course keep all the salary cap hits for his signing bonus.
I wouldnt trade one of the 1st rd picks this year. This is the 2nd time Tunsill is on the trading block which meas something is not right and you are picking up a lot of salary 

Also he is not playing at an elite level  ... PFF had him ranked  as 25th, 21st and 27th Tackle  from 2018 - 2020 ... looks like he was injured in 2021 cause he only played in 5 games

I would trade our later 3rd & 5th for him if they would take it 

I wouldnt trade one of the 1st rd picks this year. This is the 2nd time Tunsill is on the trading block which meas something is not right and you are picking up a lot of salary 

Also he is not playing at an elite level  ... PFF had him ranked  as 25th, 21st and 27th Tackle  from 2018 - 2020 ... looks like he was injured in 2021 cause he only played in 5 games

I would trade our later 3rd & 5th for him if they would take it 
I agree with not trading one of the 1st for Tunsil. The Giants must rebuild the offensive line AND get the salary cap in shape. There are 3 very good tackles in this draft (Cross, Ekwonu & Neal) and the Giants should be able to pair one of them with Thomas who is still on a rookie deal. That’s a nice pair of young inexpensive tackles to anchor the line.

I agree with not trading one of the 1st for Tunsil. The Giants must rebuild the offensive line AND get the salary cap in shape. There are 3 very good tackles in this draft (Cross, Ekwonu & Neal) and the Giants should be able to pair one of them with Thomas who is still on a rookie deal. That’s a nice pair of young inexpensive tackles to anchor the line.
As much as I want to address the Oline ... I wouldnt mind landing 1 of those 2 Edge Rushers with pick 5. They could do something like this 

• 5 - Hutchinson or Thibodeaux - Edge  (Alt - Best Tackle Neal, Cross or Ekwonu)
  • 7 - Linderbaum - C
  • 36 - Faalele - OT ( Upside is tremedous) (Alt - If we take OT @ pick 5 - Best Avail Edge - Ojabo, Ebiketie) 
  • 67 - McBride or Wydermyer - TEs (may have to trade up into the 2nd rd) 
  • 80 - G - ie Marquis Hayes 

monk said:
As much as I want to address the Oline ... I wouldnt mind landing 1 of those 2 Edge Rushers with pick 5. They could do something like this 

• 5 - Hutchinson or Thibodeaux - Edge  (Alt - Best Tackle Neal, Cross or Ekwonu)
  • 7 - Linderbaum - C
  • 36 - Faalele - OT ( Upside is tremedous) (Alt - If we take OT @ pick 5 - Best Avail Edge - Ojabo, Ebiketie) 
  • 67 - McBride or Wydermyer - TEs (may have to trade up into the 2nd rd) 
  • 80 - G - ie Marquis Hayes 
Seems unlikely that Hutchinson or Thibodeaux will get to 5, most mocks have them going 1-2. Even if someone trades up to get a QB (which again is less probable because of the lower rankings on this years QBs), causing one to fall, the Jets will almost certainly take the edge rusher at 4.

Seems unlikely that Hutchinson or Thibodeaux will get to 5, most mocks have them going 1-2. Even if someone trades up to get a QB (which again is less probable because of the lower rankings on this years QBs), causing one to fall, the Jets will almost certainly take the edge rusher at 4.
Agree.

I'd take the best tackle at 5 and the highest rated center in recent draft history at 7. It's year ONE of a rebuild,pair the 2 best offensive linemen you can get with an emerging Andrew Thomas and go from there. Let those 3 young guys learn and grow together. 

Giants hired Bills OC Brian Daboll as head coach. 

With the Dolphins also intensely interested in Daboll's services, the Giants swooped in before Daboll could make it to Miami for a second interview. Although Daboll is also a Bill Belichick protege, he is the polar opposite of the man he is replacing, Joe Judge. An offensive mind, Daboll has earned praise for his flexibility and reinvention, whereas Judge seemed stuck in the 1950s. Daboll has also worked for Nick Saban, and seemed to apply all the lessons he learned from the two masters after arriving in Buffalo in 2018 after winding his way back up the coaching ladder following a series of failed NFL coordinator stints for failed head coaches, including Tony Sparano in Miami in 2011. The elephant in the room will be whether Daboll can coax a fourth-year breakout from Daniel Jones the way he did from Josh Allen in Year 3. It's not likely — despite being an excellent athlete, Jones' physical gifts are nowhere near Allen's — but Daboll is the kind of hire this adrift organization desperately needed to make. It's a good day in East Rutherford.

Giants just got Brian Daboll as their head coach according to breaking News on SportsCenter.
Good to have the GM & coach on the same page so that is a step in the right direction.

I’m going to temper my enthusiasm because Daboll is a 1st time head coach (on any level I believe) and that hasn’t been so great for the Giants recently (McAdoo & Judge)

I like this hire...as far as the crop of potential hires this cycle Daboll appears to be as ready to be a HC as any of them...unlike crazy Joe Judge, Daboll looks he will add some stability and calm to an organization that really needs it...he's a QB guy and that's a good thing because what they do about QB this offseason will dictate whether he is successful or not, he and the new GM have to figure this out this offseason because they have the options to do so...Jones has not been developed correctly but he does have some talent and maybe Daboll thinks he can turn him around or maybe they use one of those high first-rounders on a QB or maybe they package those picks and take a run at a veteran like Wilson...they will have options and it's gonna be interesting what path they take.  

I like this hire...as far as the crop of potential hires this cycle Daboll appears to be as ready to be a HC as any of them...unlike crazy Joe Judge, Daboll looks he will add some stability and calm to an organization that really needs it...he's a QB guy and that's a good thing because what they do about QB this offseason will dictate whether he is successful or not, he and the new GM have to figure this out this offseason because they have the options to do so...Jones has not been developed correctly but he does have some talent and maybe Daboll thinks he can turn him around or maybe they use one of those high first-rounders on a QB or maybe they package those picks and take a run at a veteran like Wilson...they will have options and it's gonna be interesting what path they take.  
they don't have cap space for wilson or watson.      be surprised if they take a qb at 5 or 7.    jones has 1 more year on his rookie deal.     qb in 2023 draft is where i think this path ends.

Was Daboll the guy who made Allen better, or was it Dorsey who came in 2019? Or did Allen just get better on his own? Daboll might be good, but I'm a little skeptical of coaches who do well with elite talent, like with the oline, RB, & WRs in Bama, or a generational talent like Allen in Buffalo. After Daboll left, the Bama O didn't miss a beat and I suspect the same in Buffalo.

I'm was more impressed with LaFluer as an offensive Guru who made Mike White and Josh Johnson look all-pro for a game or 2, and help Wilson at least trend upward. I don't even know what Daboll's offensive philosophy is.

Was Daboll the guy who made Allen better, or was it Dorsey who came in 2019? Or did Allen just get better on his own? Daboll might be good, but I'm a little skeptical of coaches who do well with elite talent, like with the oline, RB, & WRs in Bama, or a generational talent like Allen in Buffalo. After Daboll left, the Bama O didn't miss a beat and I suspect the same in Buffalo.

I'm was more impressed with LaFluer as an offensive Guru who made Mike White and Josh Johnson look all-pro for a game or 2, and help Wilson at least trend upward. I don't even know what Daboll's offensive philosophy is.

Like anyone who has not been a HC you won't know until he gets his chance...right now Daboll deserves the benefit of the doubt in that BB and Lou Saban think highly of him and he did a very good job with Allen and that offense and the fact McDermott is considered a defensive guy only reinforces that to me...Allen was pretty raw coming out of Wyoming so I gotta believe Daboll was a big piece of his growth or he would not have remained OC...now, that doesn't mean he is a lock to be a good HC but I think he is a guy a team can get excited about and hope they are now headed in the right direction.

There is speculation that Dorsey is coming as OC

One of the beat writers mentioned that when Judge was hired, he wanted to bring Daboll on as his OC but Gettelmen and the Giants wanted Garrett 

By the reporting, Daboll will be good at communicating with his players and coaches, something Brian Flores was not good at, although he can coach defense or knows a good DC (Josh Boyer) when he sees one. Given that Daboll wants to bring Dorsey with him, I imagine he played a role in bringing him to Buffalo.

One of the beat writers mentioned that when Judge was hired, he wanted to bring Daboll on as his OC but Gettelmen and the Giants wanted Garrett 
Just read another article that said the Bills blocked Daboll from joining Judge as OC.

I am a bit shell shocked from 1st year head coaches so that is a concern.

Regarding trading for a veteran QB or using one of the 1st rd picks on a QB ... That is just not going to happen.

The Gaints need to build an oline and unless they do that it wouldnt matter who the QB is and Schoen made that quite clear day one.  If Jones doesnt do it this year they will bring in a QB next year behind an o'line that should have at least 3 or 4 experience and talented olineman 

Holy #####

Bills QB coach Ken Dorsey "is in negotiations" to be the Giants' offensive coordinator. 

Dorsey is expected to follow Brian Daboll, who was hired as the Giants' head coach. The Bills are also looking to retain and promote Dorsey as Daboll's replacement at offensive coordinator but may not be willing to match the contract the Giants are offering. Dorsey, who was Buffalo's passing game coordinator in addition to coaching the quarterbacks, would call plays under Daboll if he's hired.

- Jordan Schultz, Twitter
We gonna be the New York Bills. Can Dorsey bring Gabriel Davis with him?

Jordan Raanan

@JordanRaanan
Assistant GM Kevin Abrams is expected to remain with the team, per Joe Schoen. He’s viewed as a tremendous resource. Schoen even notes that Abrams has offered to give up that title if they need it to bring on another personnel executive.

"Finally, new braintrust for the Giants. This week (Saturday) is the 10-year anniversary of New York’s last playoff victory—the 21-17 Super Bowl win over New England. That is one long dry spell. New GM Joe Schoen won’t have an easy path with his buddy and new coach Brian Daboll. The Giants have to either fix Daniel Jones or replace him in 2023, and Schoen told me Saturday he’ll have to clear out $40 million from a bloated and mismanaged salary cap this spring.

“When we first got to Buffalo,” said Schoen, who worked for the Bills from 2017-’21, “we had $55 million in dead cap money we had to manage. We had a plan there, and we’ll have one here. We may have to make some decisions that hurt, but I do not want to kick the can down the road with the cap. I want to get it fixed.”

Schoen is smart—a bad team like the Giants needs to rip the cap band-aid off quickly so 2023 can be bright. (More about Jones in 10 Things, below.) I also think Schoen would be smart to look to deal one of their two high first-round picks (fifth or seventh overall) for future draft capital, so they could be in a pick-rich position to pick a quarterback if they’d be in the market for one in 2023."

Peter King - link

@MikeGarafolo
With Ken Dorsey sticking with the #Bills, the expected finalists for #Giants OC: Pep Hamilton, Mike Kafka and Chad O’Shea, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
The Vikings finished up a 9-hour interview with Giants DC Patrick Graham, with Graham meeting with people throughout the organization. As we said before, he and GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah have a very solid relationship.

Jim Harbaugh is scheduled to visit the Vikings tomorrow.

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
The Vikings finished up a 9-hour interview with Giants DC Patrick Graham, with Graham meeting with people throughout the organization. As we said before, he and GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah have a very solid relationship.

Jim Harbaugh is scheduled to visit the Vikings tomorrow.
Is it true that the Giants get draft picks if Graham is hired as HC?

Former Dolphins coach Brian Flores sued the NFL and Giants for alleged "racism in hiring."

Flores' suit includes texts from Patriots coach Bill Belichick that show him congratulating the former on getting the Giants job, mistakenly believing he was texting Brian Daboll. The issue is that this communication occurred before Flores' interview with the Giants even took place. Flores also claims that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered to pay him $100,000 for every loss during the 2019 season to help the team get a better draft spot, becoming upset when Flores instead kept leading the team to wins. This story is far from over as Flores remains trapped in the coaching cycle with few vacancies remaining.

- Alex Weprin, Twitter (read thread)

The NFL released a statement claiming Brian Flores' claims of racism against the league are "without merits."

The entire statement can be read in the link below. The NFL, which is still doing clean up from the Colin Kaepernick situation and has recently faced criticism about its record with minority coaches and front office staff, predictably shot down any notion of racism throughout its front offices. "The NFL and our clubs are deeply committed to ensuring equitable employment practices," the league said in a statement. "We will defend against these claims, which are without merit." The league had to release something, but this statement will do nothing to curb what is likely to be a protracted legal battle. 

- Jonathan Jones, Twitter
The Broncos said the accusations directed at them in former Dolphins coach Brian Flores' lawsuit are "blatantly false."

Flores alleges that Broncos executives showed up nearly an hour late for his interview in January of 2019, and he added that they "looked completely disheveled and it was obvious that they had been drinking heavily the night before." The Broncos denied these claims, saying five team executives arrived promptly for the interview and used the entire three-and-a-half-hour period, taking pages of detailed notes on Flores in the process. There will surely be more coverage of this lawsuit in the coming weeks as more and more information comes out.

- Ryan O'Halloran, Twitter
Decided to post the whole thing instead of just the Giants part. Even when the Giants FO tries to do good it fails.

Paul Schwartz

@NYPost_Schwartz

Giants are hiring Shea Tierney as their quarterbacks coach.  

Tierney was the assistant quarterback coach with the Bills.

“He’s the most underpaid person working for the Bills, I’ll tell you that. He does so much for this team and this offense.”

“He's been here since day one,” Allen continued. “He's basically Daboll’s right-hand man. He makes all the cut-ups. He makes all the install pages. He runs our scout defense. Just the energy and juice that he brings, too, he's just one of the guys and he loves football. That's what I love about him."

Users who are viewing this thread