What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (6 Viewers)

Yenrub

Footballguy
[SIZE=10pt]I might as well start the 2017 team thread[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1st a quick look back on 2016[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The Good[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10pt]11-5 regular season. Wildcard playoff berth (1st since 2011) [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]The Giants spent a ton of money on the defense and boy did it pay off! They went from finishing dead last in total defense in 2015 to finishing in 10th 2016 and were one of the most feared defenses in the NFL[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]The emergence of Landon Collins. Dude was a flat out stud last season and should be in the conversation for defensive player of the year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The Bad[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10pt]No running game[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Not much production from the TE spot[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Offense in the same personnel for 90% of plays [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The Ugly [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10pt]The offense took a major step back! Went from finishing 8th in total offense in 2015 down to 25th in 2016[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Didn’t score many points dropped from 6th in 2015 to 26th in 2016[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Offensive tackle [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Wild card game loss[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Looking towards 2017[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Needs (not necessarily in order):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]OL both guard and tackles, TE, RB, WR, DE, DT and LB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Our own free agents [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]UFA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]JPP[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Keenan Robinson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]John Jerry[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Larry Donnell[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Marshall Newhouse[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Leon Hall[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Mark Herzlich[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Will Beatty[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Zak DeOssie[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Johnathan Hankins[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Robbie Gould[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Josh Johnson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Bobby Rainey[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Kelvin Sheppard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Coty Sensabaugh[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ryan Nassib[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Trevin Wade[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]RFA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Orleans Darkwa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Deontae Skinner[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]George Winn[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Kerry Wynn[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]ERFA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Will Tye[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Eric Perkins[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Robert Thomas[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Nikita Whitlock[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Matt LaCosse [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they can keep JPP. It's going to be expensive to do,

I think they should use the non exclusive franchise tag on him 

non-exclusive franchise tag involves the same salary offer as an exclusive franchise tag (Top 5 at players position), only the player can negotiate with other teams. The player’s current team can match any offer sheet. If the old team declines to match the offer, it gets two first-round picks from the other team as compensation. This is the more commonly used franchise tag

Disagree with the QBs... Nassib has looked better than Eli at times and has been in the system for 4 years. Josh Johnson? Where did this guy even come from?

Deossie - Take him or leave him. Rather see a more versatile player in this role i.e. a backup center or guard that could contribute in more than one way   

Hoping the Giants address the Oline in Free agency and move Flowers to Guard ... I think flowers would be a dominant Guard  there are a number of teams with Oline needs ahead of them in the draft so they will not be able to get a contributing LT at the 23rd pick. Would luv to see the Giants snag McCaffery and OJ Howard. in the draft.

McCaffery could help them at RB and in the slot day 1 ... if not we can watch him help the Patriots win SBs for the next 5 years.

Hoping the Giants address the Oline in Free agency and move Flowers to Guard ... I think flowers would be a dominant Guard  there are a number of teams with Oline needs ahead of them in the draft so they will not be able to get a contributing LT at the 23rd pick. Would luv to see the Giants snag McCaffery and OJ Howard. in the draft.

McCaffery could help them at RB and in the slot day 1 ... if not we can watch him help the Patriots win SBs for the next 5 years.
Giants don't need help in the slot. Sheppard is filling in that role just fine.

The top LT available in free agency are Whitworth (CIN), Kalil (MIN) and Reiff (DET) 

Giants need d-line help too.

Rb.te.

Id trade OBJ get a top 5 pick and a lineman in the same deal.draft a stud rb.add some offensive linemen.add a TE. Time to sell high on OBJ hes a headache , a flake, and tries to turn every catch into a one handed highlight real catch.he was doing it at bs pro bowl sessions this week.just stop. 

As a Giants fan I cant stand the guy.already. very unprofessional at his job.why is he allowed to act like this??

Giants won a sb the year they traded Shockey.surprise surprise..

Trade OBJ. Now!!

Rb.te.

Id trade OBJ get a top 5 pick and a lineman in the same deal.draft a stud rb.add some offensive linemen.add a TE. Time to sell high on OBJ hes a headache , a flake, and tries to turn every catch into a one handed highlight real catch.he was doing it at bs pro bowl sessions this week.just stop. 

As a Giants fan I cant stand the guy.already. very unprofessional at his job.why is he allowed to act like this??

Trade OBJ. Now!!
Care to give some specifics about his behavior and unprofessionalism?

A few OT have been added to the free agent market which is good news for the Giants as they look to sure up the OL

Dolphins cut Brandon Albert, Jets cut Ryan Clady and Jags cut Beachum 

A few OT have been added to the free agent market which is good news for the Giants as they look to sure up the OL

Dolphins cut Brandon Albert, Jets cut Ryan Clady and Jags cut Beachum 
I don't think the Dolphins actually cut Albert yet  but there are a few other OT options Kalil , Wagner, Reiff , Vollmer  that would improve the Giants Oline

Would love to see the Giants go after Lacy and/or Chandler Jones but that will never happen 

Giants drop 10 places from pick 130 down to pick 140 because of walkie talkie use

Team fined 150k, McAdoo fined 50k

The Giants appear to be a running back and tight end away from being the best team on paper in the NFC. 

Please don't draft OJ Howard.

Don't worry Cowboy fan, I don't think Howard is going to fall to #23

I can dream though! 
I agree the top two TEs in the draft won't be there. Someone will move up to 22nd to grab him if he were to fall that far.

I think the Giants draft Lamp or a DE.

Rb.te.

Trade OBJ. Now!!
You don't trade a top 3 WR in their prime. Go sell crazy elsewhere.

Giant sign DJ Fluker. Underachieving first rounder. Hopefully the team can turn around the bad track record they've had in developing Olinemen. 

Giant sign DJ Fluker. Underachieving first rounder. Hopefully the team can turn around the bad track record they've had in developing Olinemen. 
As a one year deal, I think this is a good gamble. Any bolstering of the OL is good for us and it's not like there's a lot of affordable talent out there...

As a one year deal, I think this is a good gamble. Any bolstering of the OL is good for us and it's not like there's a lot of affordable talent out there...
And the bar isn't set real high. all he has to do is be an average lineman and that will be an improvement.

And the bar isn't set real high. all he has to do is be an average lineman and that will be an improvement.
He'll be a massive upgrade if he manages to avoid giving away a holding penalty or a QB hit on every play

On Big Blue Live, they say Will Johnson will probably be released due to his injury. So Ellington should take Johnson's role. Means team still could use TE help.

On Big Blue Live, they say Will Johnson will probably be released due to his injury. So Ellington should take Johnson's role. Means team still could use TE help.
I can see them taking a pass catching TE in the draft. It’s starting to look like Howard and Njoku will be gone by the time the Giants pick at 23 so I don’t think they will take a TE in the 1st round.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with Gerald Everett from South Alabama or Bucky Hodges from Va. Tech in the 2nd or 3rd

The NFC East is going to be lit this year. Best division in football by far right now.
I see the Giants winning this division. I hope at least. I want a great team to pull for in NY this year. The Jets already threw in the towel and its only March.

Brandon Marshall is going to be a fantastic fantasy upside WR2 in the Giants O. Can't double Odell easily if you line them up on the same side of the field, and Sheperd should only improve. I like the Ellison signing and LOVE Donnell being gone. That being said... can the Giants PLEASE GET ELI AN O-LINE? It's a miracle he wasn't injured running for his life the last 2 years. You'd think protection of a 35 year old QB was important.

Second, a cover LB is a huge priority. Someone who can cover the athletic TEs and RBs is needed, look at Atlanta's approach.

Interesting take. I think their bigest need in a legit left tackle and overal talent upgrade on the oline.
I actually think the Fluker signing is huge. He will be one of the top 3 or 4 Olineman on this team and gives them great flexibility being a legit RT or RG. It's not out of the question that he'd be the best LT on the team if necessary.

I agree with you that we need a legit LT but I think that would not only be an upgrade but would give us a top 10 O'line  (Pugh LG, Richburg C, Flowers RG/RT, Fluker RG/RT, Legit LT)

I don't mean to rain on your parade but you might want to temper your expectations. Fluker was a big disappointment with the Chargers, which is why he was released. If he is a "huge" upgrade that says more about the current roster than Fluker.

Giants line is currently terrible at 3 positions LT, RT and RG.  Fluker was a disappointment  because he was high 1st round pick  but is  a pretty good player and much better than our current RTs and RGs. Flowers should be moving to RT or RG where he will  is expected  to be much better ( I personally believe he could be a great RG). Now add a legit Left Tackle and the Giants have significantly improved the 3 weakest positions on their O'line and created more depth and O'line flexibility in the process. I think that would clearly be a top 10 O'line.

Of course this all depends on landing a legit LT   

Giants interested in Nick Mangold possibly as a Guard ... would like to see that happen. He'd be stayin home and playing with a grudge 

I sure hope they don't take a QB with any of their 1st 3 picks. They seem like a team that is close to making a Superbowl run, they need to add pieces that can help them win now. 
Why do we need a QB we just signed Eli's successor ... Gino!!!!!!

I sure hope they don't take a QB with any of their 1st 3 picks. They seem like a team that is close to making a Superbowl run, they need to add pieces that can help them win now. 

I'd argue QB is one of your weakest links. Other then LB of course. 

I'd argue QB is one of your weakest links. Other then LB of course. 
I can see that but I'm sure that none of the QB in this draft are going to be better than Eli in 2017.

Assuming that Marshall stays healthy Eli should do just fine this season. Eli seems to do well with the bigger targets

I agree Eli isn't losing the starting job this year and maybe not for a couple/few years (depending on their other options), but QB is so important, Eli is old and on the downside of his career, and they have no current long term plans (Gene is not the answer).  A succession plan at QB would be a smart move if the right player falls to their pick.  Even if they don't use a day 1 or day 2 pick on a QB, I do think they take a developmental QB in the draft.

Trade Eli for a 2017 2nd and 2018 1st  ...sign Cutler for this season and draft a QB either this year or next   

not signing Hankins sux ... now the Giants are likely going to have to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder to back fill

Like to get an OT , RB and TE in the 1st 3 rounds ...no particular order
You know that one of those 1st 3 picks is going to be a defensive player right? Heck I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the 1st 3 were defensive players.

Users who are viewing this thread