What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (8 Viewers)

Unsure. He's made some puzzling play calls recently. But this roster is mostly a dumpster fire at this point. Some of that is on Gettleman, but the stink of Reese is hard to get past. It is tough to do anything on offense with that OLine. The breakdowns are way too frequent. Its tough to see what the offense is capable of when Eli gets hit before he can complete his drop back. Those thinking Kyle will be able to do anything but get sacked are fooling themselves. There is plenty of blame to go around, and Shurmur should get his share.
While the OL is terrible they must try and see what Lauletta has sometime this season. They are going to have another high pick and Eli will be 38 when next season starts. At the very least Lauletta needs to start getting 2nd team reps in practice.

Yenrub said:
While the OL is terrible they must try and see what Lauletta has sometime this season. They are going to have another high pick and Eli will be 38 when next season starts. At the very least Lauletta needs to start getting 2nd team reps in practice.
I agree that Lauletta needs practice reps. Webb needed them too. That was the biggest failure last year.

I am trying to temper any idea that QB is the root of this problem however. Teams can rush 4, keep 7 back and just wait. The 4 get home way too often. Even with a running QB, they won't be able to move the ball. Move in the pocket? Pffft, there is no pocket. The giants have arguably the best RB in the league (I am not making that argument)... and even he struggles cause the blocks simply aren't there. A QB is somehow going to be shiftier than Barkley? And it isn't like defenses are working really hard here, the sad thing is the giants haven't seen any pressure packages cause they just aren't needed. Defenses have many more cards to play. 

I'd be glad to criticize Eli, once he had some semblance of an Oline. Last I heard he was on pace for 55 sacks. That's untenable. Its also laughable that folks think that somehow 55 sacks is on him "holding the ball too long".   

Oh my God you are KIDDING me with this crap!

NJ Advance Media's Ron Zeitlinger reports Giants backup QB Kyle Lauletta was arrested after almost striking an officer with his vehicle Tuesday morning.

There are not many details, but Zeitlinger reports Lauletta failed to obey a police officer's direction while driving to the practice facility on Tuesday morning and in the process almost struck an officer with his car. This sounds minor, but it is another disappointing development for the cratering Giants. There was some hope Lauletta would take over as the starting quarterback following the bye, but that seems unlikely at this point.
Picture of the cop Lauletta almost hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants claimed RG Jamon Brown off waivers from the Rams.

Brown started all 16 games at right guard for the Rams last season and was Pro Football Focus' No. 52 guard out of 80 qualifiers. He was then slapped with a two-game substance-abuse ban to start 2018 and lost his job to Austin Blythe. Brown was cut Tuesday to make room for DE Dante Fowler. Brown is a 25-year-old former third-rounder in the final year of his rookie deal. He's a decent flier for a Giants team that is obviously one of the most OL-needy in the league.
Like... this should've been the general plan once they saw the line not working out well in Game 1. Take a flier on every OL and try to rebuild as much as possible. If you hit on 1 or 2 it makes the revamp in 2019 that much easier.

Like... this should've been the general plan once they saw the line not working out well in Game 1. Take a flier on every OL and try to rebuild as much as possible. If you hit on 1 or 2 it makes the revamp in 2019 that much easier.
Yep ... never understood why why don't bring every oline in possible.  The stiffs that we have would be cut from almost every NFL roster. Only problem is this guy sounds like an Ereck Flowers clone 

Coach Pat Shurmur said the Giants are preparing new RG Jamon Brown as a starter.

Brown started all 16 games for the Rams last season but lost his job this year to Austin Blythe and was cut last week only to be claimed by the Giants. (Multiple teams put in a claim.) Brown is a mauler at 6'4/340 who prefers to run block. If he starts, Brown will replace veteran RG John Greco.
It's stunning how bad Greco was (supposed to be a rotational backup). Giants last few weeks have been trying to get every cut OL aboce 6'3 or known as a mauler. Looking back they probably should've kept DJ Fluker.

It's stunning how bad Greco was (supposed to be a rotational backup). Giants last few weeks have been trying to get every cut OL aboce 6'3 or known as a mauler. Looking back they probably should've kept DJ Fluker.
Yeah, I'm actually pretty excited about this guy ... PFF had him rated above average last season https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/jamon-brown/9505

And I've read some good things about him ...like this https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/13/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jamon-brown-stats-offensive-line/

Looks like a huge upgrade over Greco and to the line in general ... It's a shame Halapio got injured, he was doing pretty good 

Looks like a huge upgrade over Greco and to the line in general ... It's a shame Halapio got injured, he was doing pretty good 
Yep, I know it's kinda a copout but I think the Halapio injury was the death knell of the offensive line. You never really had a lot of up-the-middle pressure in the Giants games before the; the only time that existed is the Dallas game where they ran stunts and Ereck Flowers didn't communicate who to block, which confused the whole line. The Houston game was a perfect example of this for the quarters Halapio played, Eli was hardly touched by Clowney/Watt and the offense was humming. Edge pressure is something Eli can kinda work away from if you know where it's coming (and Eli usually can); up the middle pressure on a QB who can't run? Eli's dead.

Greco has been unbelievably bad in his time. If Brown works out Giants may only need to get two O-Lineman instead of 3.

https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1061302864763674625

Giants waived OL Patrick Omameh

Omameh signed a three-year, $15 million contract with the Giants back in March and began the year as the team's starting right guard. He was promptly benched at the end of October for poor play in favor of backup interior lineman Spencer Pulley. Omameh didn't perform like the upgrade he was all cracked up to be in training camp, either. New York could've saved $3 million by waiting until the offseason to waive Omameh, but the writing was on the wall once RG Jamon Brown got up to speed.
What a colossal bust... Solder has been shaky, Greco and Omameh turned out to be complete schwarbage.

That game winning drive was a nice example of “what could be” with all the weapons – if the offensive line was providing protection.

Engram with a 31-yard reception

Odell drew a big PI (16 yards)

Barkley with a 23-yard reception

Shepard with the TD

I made the post in the Eli thread and I'll wait for the PFF grades but Spencer Pulley and Jamon Brown looked very good tonight. Eli had time to move around and step up in the pocket; I can't stress how important it is for Eli not to get pressure up the middle. The edges at least Shurmur can gameplan rollouts around; Eli cannot escape up-the-middle pressure. Maybe the Giants have a find in Brown, who monk pointed out was not bad in the past. They're evaluating Pulley also and if they manage to fix their offensive line for next year it's a fix for Saquon and whomever their future QB is.

So.... when do we Giants fans complain about killing our draft position?

I made the post in the Eli thread and I'll wait for the PFF grades but Spencer Pulley and Jamon Brown looked very good tonight. Eli had time to move around and step up in the pocket; I can't stress how important it is for Eli not to get pressure up the middle. The edges at least Shurmur can gameplan rollouts around; Eli cannot escape up-the-middle pressure. Maybe the Giants have a find in Brown, who monk pointed out was not bad in the past. They're evaluating Pulley also and if they manage to fix their offensive line for next year it's a fix for Saquon and whomever their future QB is.

So.... when do we Giants fans complain about killing our draft position?
That's so funny, I came into this thread to see if Giant fans were happy that they won, or mad that they potentially worsened their draft position.

That's so funny, I came into this thread to see if Giant fans were happy that they won, or mad that they potentially worsened their draft position.
I'm happy with the win if ....

They only win 1 or 2 more games this year or if they win the rest of them and make the playoffs ...nothing in between

It's weird because Brown looked really solid, only getting blown up on the one play leading to Eli's sack. The way Booger was killing Solder I had thought he did poorly, especially since it appeared he was getting pushed back a lot. Pulley also graded poorly but again, I didn't see much up-the-middle pressure so I thought he did well.

I think the Giants are the the closest version to the 2017 Rams - if they hire the right coach and draft the right QB.  Change like 2 OL and a couple of D players and they are competing for the division in 2019.

I think the Giants are the the closest version to the 2017 Rams - if they hire the right coach and draft the right QB.  Change like 2 OL and a couple of D players and they are competing for the division in 2019.

Is that all?
Sheesh the overreactions... Giants have A lot of issues, depth being a secret issue and the lack of O-Line prominent. Let's not crown these dudes yet, they're still 3-7.

I don't understand the fans worried about draft position. Finding the right QB is hard. There was a good graphic during the game. In the 240-mumble games Eli has started for the Giants, since 2004... The Bucs have had something like 15 different guys start. Their list was long and humbling. Folks act like getting the first pick is the sure fire way to get a franchise QB and everything is perfect. It doesn't work that way. I remember what life was like  prior to Eli. Not looking forward to it's return. Dave Brown anyone? I am happier trying to live in the moment, enjoys the wins I do get to watch now and let the future worry about itself. 

All of these guys were drafted outside of the first round since 2010. Wilson and even Foles have won a SuperBowl ... No QB drafted in the 1st round since 2010 has done that 

•  Russell Wilson, Wisconsin
  •  Derek Carr, Fresno State
  • Andy Dalton, TCU
  • Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
  • Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
  • Dak Prescott, Mississippi State
  • Nick Foles, Arizona
  • Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech
  • Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois

I don't understand the fans worried about draft position. Finding the right QB is hard. There was a good graphic during the game. In the 240-mumble games Eli has started for the Giants, since 2004... The Bucs have had something like 15 different guys start. Their list was long and humbling. Folks act like getting the first pick is the sure fire way to get a franchise QB and everything is perfect. It doesn't work that way. I remember what life was like  prior to Eli. Not looking forward to it's return. Dave Brown anyone? I am happier trying to live in the moment, enjoys the wins I do get to watch now and let the future worry about itself. 
I remember Dave Brown and the six game winning streak to end the year he "engineered" to help the Giants finish 9-7.

I remember Dave Brown and the six game winning streak to end the year he "engineered" to help the Giants finish 9-7.
Brown was awesome at throwing the out for a pick six. He had a knack for it. It was uncanny and I just could never figure out why. On TV anyway. Back then, the Giants held training camp in Albany. My old stomping grounds. I tried to make a point to get back and attend a day of camp once a year, see some old friends etc. Camp here was great, you could get pretty darn close to where they were playing. I remember sitting behind the offense as they'd lineup and run the plays. When I saw Brown throw the out from that vantage point, it all became clear. I swore I could jump the fence, run over and catch the ball before it got to the receiver. He had no velocity on it. At all. It was eye opening.  The only thing that I wondered about then was how more weren't picked off.

I remember watching Eli in a similar situation vs the other QBs in camp. The in person eye test didn't fail there. From that vantage point, it was easy to see who was open, who wasn't, where the ball needed to be thrown, where it shouldn't, etc. I had a spot where I was maybe 50 feet away, it was great. Eli would more often hit the targets where the other QBs just couldn't do it at the same rate. The differences were stark.

It also became clear why Plaxico was so effective. I could never tell on TV, but he was a foot taller than anyone who tried to cover him. It was a no brainer to throw to the guy who towered above everyone else.

BigBlue_RI said:
Dave Brown is a dirty word. Don’t say it here. We all want to forget.
Saw that putz on the Pat Tillman "A Football Life". Why he was chosen to speak as rep of Cardinals is beyond me with all the other more likely choices.

How about Kent Graham? Jessie Palmer? Danny Kanell?
Like I said. I do not yearn for the end of the Eli era. I remember, all too well, what came before and fear what will come again. The shame of the front office will always be not putting a better oline in front of Eli in his waning years. 

Worry about QB next year, or at least don't spend an early pick on one. Fix the team through the draft, sign Teddy B. for a couple of years.  We need an OL and some D. Those are the problem spots. Not Eli.

It's weird seeing all the guys with Barkley and OBJr. on their teams wanting Eli gone. They think Barkley and Odell will be better with the Immortal Alex Tanney?

Since trading Damon Harrison, the Giants are allowing 152.3 rushing yards per game and 4.9 yards per carry after allowing 113.8 rushing yards per game and 4.3 yards per carry prior.
Holy Schnikes that's not good for the tandem of B.J. Hill and Dalvin Tomlinson.

Ravens waived OL Hroniss Grasu.

Grasu was a healthy scratch most of the year. He made a Week 8 appearance at left guard for Bradley Bozeman and has been a starter for parts of the last three seasons. We'd expect Grassu to get claimed by an offensive line needy team.
Get on it Giants. I mean they need a tackle more than anything but OL depth is needed.

Ok who is excited for today? Could the the game that makes December worth watching. If they can give Eli 3-4 seconds and not have him die the 1st half like the last 2 games, they have a shot. The key is not having him drop back 50 times; sure the secondary is almost all hurt but Saquon is a tremendous weapon and the Eagles Run D isn't as good as the stats say. Keep trotting out 2-3 TEs and get Engram involved.

Ok who is excited for today? Could the the game that makes December worth watching. If they can give Eli 3-4 seconds and not have him die the 1st half like the last 2 games, they have a shot. The key is not having him drop back 50 times; sure the secondary is almost all hurt but Saquon is a tremendous weapon and the Eagles Run D isn't as good as the stats say. Keep trotting out 2-3 TEs and get Engram involved.
Cautiously optimistic. The Eagles secondary is banged up but it won't mean a thing if the Giants OL can't handle the very good Eagles DL

All of these guys were drafted outside of the first round since 2010. Wilson and even Foles have won a SuperBowl ... No QB drafted in the 1st round since 2010 has done that 

•  Russell Wilson, Wisconsin
  •  Derek Carr, Fresno State
  • Andy Dalton, TCU
  • Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
  • Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
  • Dak Prescott, Mississippi State
  • Nick Foles, Arizona
  • Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech
  • Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
Only one of those, Wilson has been a consistent winning QB. Compare those QB's to Luck, Wentz, Goff, Mahomes, Watson. I would rather take my chance with a 1st rounder since it is the most important position to get right. 

Only one of those, Wilson has been a consistent winning QB. Compare those QB's to Luck, Wentz, Goff, Mahomes,

Only one of those, Wilson has been a consistent winning QB. Compare those QB's to Luck, Wentz, Goff, Mahomes, Watson. I would rather take my chance with a 1st rounder since it is the most important position to get right. 
. I would rather take my chance with a 1st rounder since it is the most important position to get right. 
  • Dalton has a slightly higher win % than Wentz
  • Dak has a higher win % than Luck 
  • Garrapolo win % is higher than Watson and just below Mahomes (Though none of the 3 have enough of a track record) nor does Goff
  • Foles win % in Philly is higher than Wentz and he has won a SB

• Dalton has a slightly higher win % than Wentz
  • Dak has a higher win % than Luck 
  • Garrapolo win % is higher than Watson and just below Mahomes (Though none of the 3 have enough of a track record) nor does Goff
  • Foles win % in Philly is higher than Wentz and he has won a SB
Yes, because winning % is the true measure of how good a QB is. You can have Dalton, Dak, Garrapolo, and Foles. I will take the others and be very happy.

As a Giants fan, who would you rather play against Foles or Wentz?

Users who are viewing this thread