What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (3 Viewers)

Great read here: Ranking New York Giants' Biggest Needs in 2017 NFL Draft http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703784

This is the draft to get another DT. I'd be excited to get two players at boring positions like DT and OT in the first two rounds, then draft unheralded upside guys at deep positions like TE and RB in the next two rounds. 
Remember early in the draft process (before the combine) there was a rumor that the Giants like the TE from South Alabama Gerald Everett 

You know that one of those 1st 3 picks is going to be a defensive player right? Heck I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the 1st 3 were defensive players.
Yes , I pointed that out in my previous post. Just saying what I'd like to see happen. 

I think their biggest needs are OT, TE, RB, LB (which they never have anyway) and now because the lost Hankins,  DT 

Typical Giant 1st round disappointment ... Foster, Cook , Ramcyzk,  all studs ... all available and the Giants decide to be gluttons for Eli and select a 4th WR option that happens to play TE.  Odell, Marshall, Shepherd and now Engram 

Giants need a TE who could block first not a 230 lb receiver who will probably not even get on the field because he cant block

Look at this list of nobody RBs ... Who are these guys???? And their LBs are even worse. They had an opportunity to get the top LB in the draft at 23 and f...ed it up as usual. Why does every Giant draft have to be such a let down???

Darkwa, Orleans

RB     

6-0

Draughn, Shaun 

RB

5-11

Huesman, Jacob   

RB

6-1

Perkins, Paul

RB

5-10    

Vereen, Shane

RB

5-10

Virgies, Daryl

RB

5-11

Winn, George

RB

5-11

It's literally torture watching the Giant Draft ... 

With their 2nd pick of the 2017 Draft the New York Giants select generic Defensive Tackle Dalvin Tomlinson. Though he immediately becomes one of the ugliest dudes in the NFL.

Meanwhile exciting and very highly rated prospects Obi Melifonwu (S) and Zack Cunningham (LB) go with the next 2 picks ... would have loved either one of them 

The Giants should offer a late round pick for Ingram.  Seems clear the Saints want to move on from him and he can use a change of scenery.

The Giants should offer a late round pick for Ingram.  Seems clear the Saints want to move on from him and he can use a change of scenery.
That would be great ... I was thinking they should offer a 6th rounder to Cinci for Hill. There's teams with 2 and 3 solid RBs and we don't have any.

There goes Perine ... the Giants last chance to salvage another terrible draft. And what makes it even more painful is that he is going to the Redskins. Good luck trying to stop that tank with our LBers

There goes Perine ... the Giants last chance to salvage another terrible draft. And what makes it even more painful is that he is going to the Redskins. Good luck trying to stop that tank with our LBers
No worries Snacks and the new ugly dude won't let him get to the LBers 

Giants sign 3 more UDFA WRs and another TE?  But only 1 LB with very very little upside? What does this team have against LBs ... they used to be our TradeMark 

Giants sign 3 more UDFA WRs and another TE?  But only 1 LB with very very little upside? What does this team have against LBs ... they used to be our TradeMark 
It was their trademark when they ran a 3-4 defense. They are a 4-3 team now  

They have had good linebackers as a 4-3 team, but it's usually been a MLB.  I can understand why they don't focus on linebackers, though.  Especially in this pass-heavy era of the NFL, they are listed as a 4-3 base defense but the NYG line up only 2 linebackers (or sometimes 1) most of the time.  Most teams have at least 3 WRs on the field more than 50% of the plays so most defenses wind up having an extra DB on the field most of the time.  The NYG seem to think that Goodson can be that 3 down MLB who helped define the defense when Pierce was on the team.  We will see.  I think the bigger mistake was neglecting the offensive line.  They should have gone with Ramczyk or Robinson instead of Engram IMO.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one that liked the draft - with the caveat that I think it's silly to really try to 'grade' a draft for a few years but it is what we do here.

Anyway, I like the idea of taking a strength, the receiving corps, and making it stronger. I like the value the Giants got in the draft with most every pick from where they were mocked to go.  Sure, I would have loved the Giants to grab a bunch of stud OL but that wasn't the strength of the draft so they let the value come to them.

I can see every pick contributing this year except for Webb - but we don't want him to contribute this year.  That sounds like a solid draft to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a feeling that with Marshall and Engram ... Shepherd is going to see a lot less come his way. Someone has to lose looks and they are talking about using Engram like a large slot WR. not to mention Vereen will be back after missing most of last season that's a whole lot of mouths to feed.

Avery said:
I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one that liked the draft - with the caveat that I think it's silly to really try to 'grade' a draft for a few years but it is what we do here.

Anyway, I like the idea of taking a strength, the receiving corps, and making it stronger. I like the value the Giants got in the draft with most every pick from where they were mocked to go.  Sure, I would have loved the Giants to grab a bunch of stud OL but that wasn't the strength of the draft so they let the value come to them.

I can see every pick contributing this year except for Webb - but we don't want him to contribute this year.  That sounds like a solid draft to me.
The only pick that I hate is Webb. Not that I hate the player I haven’t seen enough of him to have an opinion on him. The reason I don’t like the pick is because I think they are a contender but need their top 3 picks in the draft to contribute now AND in the future.

I think it’s going to be fun to see how Engram is used. He looks like he is going to be a nightmare for teams that try to run the cover 2 against us.

Tomlinson looks like a big Hank clone and should help make sure it’s tough to run against us

Gallman was a bit of a surprise with Mack still on the board but he was a productive RB at Clemson so no real complaints

Moss needs to get stronger but he has potential, hope he can come in and get enough snaps so that JPP and OV don’t have to play all game

Bisnowaty seems like a tough kid, obviously he isn’t going to start this year but he will be given a chance to develop

I found the part about Engram saying he primarily will play the Y and the U roles in the offense to be interesting.

Here is an old article describing what a U TE role is for offenses and some examples of teams that were utilizing them back in 2013. One of those teams is the Packers who McAdoo was the QB coach for at the time.

It makes sense to use Engram as a counter for cover two that is rolling a safety to OBJ. Force the mismatch coverage against the LB or get more one on one looks for OBJ.

The reason I didn't like the fit of a TE with the Giants is because I think their offensive tackles need help with a chipping TE, A TE who can help in pass protection. Rhett Ellison can do that pretty well, but if the Giants line up OBJ Ellison Engram then either Marshall or Shephard will be off the field.

I found the part about Engram saying he primarily will play the Y and the U roles in the offense to be interesting.

Here is an old article describing what a U TE role is for offenses and some examples of teams that were utilizing them back in 2013. One of those teams is the Packers who McAdoo was the QB coach for at the time.

It makes sense to use Engram as a counter for cover two that is rolling a safety to OBJ. Force the mismatch coverage against the LB or get more one on one looks for OBJ.

The reason I didn't like the fit of a TE with the Giants is because I think their offensive tackles need help with a chipping TE, A TE who can help in pass protection. Rhett Ellison can do that pretty well, but if the Giants line up OBJ Ellison Engram then either Marshall or Shephard will be off the field.
The Giants were in 3 WR sets over 90% of the time last season. There is plenty of room for them to decrease that in favor of say a 2 TE set while still giving the 3 WR set efficient snaps.

Hello Giants Fans. - Any objective opinions on Nassib as a QB who could be a useful starter one day? I just remember there being occasional good reports in the preseason and offseason. - Obviously just wondering as the Saints just brought him on board. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Giants Fans. - Any objective opinions on Nassib as a QB who could be a useful starter one day? I just remember there being occasional good reports in the preseason and offseason. - Obviously just wondering as the Saints just brought him on board. Thanks.
IMO he's not a starter caliber QB.  He had very little opportunity in NY since Eli has been indestructible, but when he has played he hasn't been that great.  I don't see him becoming a starter.

Granted the Giants offensive line hasn’t been very good the last few years but I don’t recall him play particularly well in any preseason games. He does have good mobility and throws decent on the move but I never got the impression that he was going to be future in NY

Wish the Giants would sign Deangelo Williams for this season.

Giants RBs suck and Deangelo has always been waayyy underrated ... even at 34 he'd be easily the best RB on the team.

I thought Perkins look decent during the end of the '16 season....and with all the new offensive weapons outside the hashes, teams just can't stack the box with 7-8 defenders all the time to stop the run- I agree the offensive line is not by any stretch great, but if Eli and the boys can get on track To begin the season it will open up the floodgates for Perkins. I for one, am interested in what he can do. 

This site has the Giants RBs ranked 29 of 32 ... I think that is being very very generous considering the teams behind them have better RBs than the ones listed Baltimore (Danny Woodhead) Washington (Samaje Parine) Green Bay (Ty Montgomery) 

Even the teams just ahead of them have much better backs plus other good RBs Jets (Forte and Bilal Powell) Colts (Gore and Turbin)

After looking at this I'm even more convinced that the Giants are easily the worst RB group ... so I cant understand why they wouldn't go after Deangelo Williams

http://newarena.com/nfl/ranking-all-32-starting-nfl-running-backs-from-worst-to-best/

Heard SF may be willing to trade Hyde for a 4th or less. They are not high on him and may even cut him in training camp

Yeah it's worth going on a nice day. When I went a few years ago they had different groups signing autographs each day after the practice... RBs one day Oline men another etc ...  your not that close to the players during the practice but good enough and it's very easy to get in and free

Sterling Shepherd carted off the field in today's practice
Post practice reports are calling it a "basketball type" ankle injury. Not really sure what that means.

Also JPP was held out of practice today. He says it was just a planned day of rest for him, not injury related.

Saw on twitter that OV was working out with younger linemen 25 minutes after practice was over.

Sounds like Flowers is still struggling.  I wish they would have moved him inside and focused on a LT  

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10386/ereck-flowers

Flowers poor technique on display in 1st day of full pads

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/08/giants_lt_ereck_flowers_technique_still_a_concern.html#incart_river_index

Let's hope he can get it straight before camp is over
So frustrating with this guy.  3rd year and still issues with technique. 27 on his Wonderlic.    I don't get what's going on.

From Rotoworld:

Ereck Flowers - T - Giants

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan reports LT Ereck Flowers had a rough practice on Monday.

Raanan writes Flowers had "five or six awful reps" which "several ex-NFL offensive linemen and some independent offensive line coaches" agreed were "brutal." One of those experts said the session was the, "Worst I’ve seen, period." The practice is not an aberration, either, as Flowers has consistently struggled throughout camp. The Giants bet on Flowers improving this offseason, but it looks like left tackle will once again be a huge area of concern

I was really hoping he would show some improvement this year.  Although, early in camp that does not seem to be the case.  Offensive line will be Big Blues kryptonite once again this year.  
All those talented skill players on the receiving end and Eli won't be able to get it to them like he should.  With that much talent, if Eli had the time the G-men's Offense would put up big numbers.  A harried Eli is a 25 interception Eli.

While I agree Flowers and the line are an issue ... I don't think they will be any worse than last year. It is the same line returning with another years of experience and with the addition of Fluker who adds great depth and a potential starter. The passing game should be improved with the addition of Engram and Marshall and the protection should be better with Ellison so overall the passing game should be a net improvement over last years 4000 yards and 26 tds ... which is pretty damn good.

The big concern is the running game ... the RBs are arguably the worst in the league and running behind one of the worst Olines in the league which is a recipe for disaster. I have no idea what the Giants are thinking coming into this season with Perkins as the lead back and no experience behind him ... that's really bad!

Some Observations from last nights game.

• OL - The Oline particularly the tackles look terrible ... they need to make some drastic changes ...like moving Flowers inside or to RT.
  • RB - Perkins is not a good runner at all ... even his long run of 16 yards looked accidental. He's straight up with no power and little burst. Gallman looked much better up until he dropped a catchable ball and fumbled. He looks like he could easily add 10-15 pounds to his frame and be a stud.
  • QB - Gino will be the backup ...he actually looked surprisingly sharp but of course threw a bone head int in the red zone
  • Dline - was dominant as expected ...but JPP and Vernon looked particularly dominant  
  • LB - BJ Goodson looks like he could be the best Giant LB in the last 10-15 years  ... had a bull rush sack that was just awesome. blew out  the RB and mauled the QB 
  • TE - Evan Engram looked fantastic ... moves more like a stud receiver than a TE.  Ellison actually muffed quite a few blocks as an H-Back but otherwise looks like a good addition
  •  McAdoo was sporting a new slicked back hair style ... lookin sharp !!

Some Observations from last nights game.

• OL - The Oline particularly the tackles look terrible ... they need to make some drastic changes ...like moving Flowers inside or to RT.
  • RB - Perkins is not a good runner at all ... even his long run of 16 yards looked accidental. He's straight up with no power and little burst. Gallman looked much better up until he dropped a catchable ball and fumbled. He looks like he could easily add 10-15 pounds to his frame and be a stud.
  • QB - Gino will be the backup ...he actually looked surprisingly sharp but of course threw a bone head int in the red zone
  • Dline - was dominant as expected ...but JPP and Vernon looked particularly dominant  
  • LB - BJ Goodson looks like he could be the best Giant LB in the last 10-15 years  ... had a bull rush sack that was just awesome. blew out  the RB and mauled the QB 
  • TE - Evan Engram looked fantastic ... moves more like a stud receiver than a TE.  Ellison actually muffed quite a few blocks as an H-Back but otherwise looks like a good addition
  •  McAdoo was sporting a new slicked back hair style ... lookin sharp !!
I disagree with your 1st point. The interior line looks like crap, they can't run block worth a damn! Flowers has been ok so far with his pass blocking (he still has a long way to go). I would like to see them try Fluker at RG instead of Jerry

I agree with everything else 

McAdoo showed a glimpse of creativity putting Engram in the backfield and having him run a route, but otherwise, the offense still looks utterly predictable. On the other hand, the defense looks dominant. Fingers crossed that the offense can achieve average output throughout the year to keep up. A 10-6 finish should get us into the playoffs with a chance to steal a few away playoff games as per our usual. 

McAdoo showed a glimpse of creativity putting Engram in the backfield and having him run a route, but otherwise, the offense still looks utterly predictable. On the other hand, the defense looks dominant. Fingers crossed that the offense can achieve average output throughout the year to keep up. A 10-6 finish should get us into the playoffs with a chance to steal a few away playoff games as per our usual. 
Its preseason. Scheme should be pretty vanilla until the real games start.

If you did not watch this game don't let the score fool you ...it was a completely one sided blowout 29-3 in the first half. The Giants defense is sick !! JP if he stays healthy could be in for a career season. He looks bigger, stronger and faster than last year, understandably so, and at 28 he could be coming into his prime. Landon Collins is all over the place and playing with even more confidence and experience. 

OL - John Jerry was manhandled on play that led to Elis' Int in the red zone. He was pulled for Brett Jones who was a significant improvement especially in the run game ... he may steal the RG spot and backup Center. Flowers had a boneheaded false start but other than that didn't see much from him good or bad. The second O'line was awful. 

RB - Perkins had a couple of very nice runs but doesn't seem to be able to create anything on his own. Once again Gallman looked like the best RB on the team, he had a stretch where every time he touched the ball he looked like he got at least 3 or 4 yards ... he runs hard, creates something out of nothing and he can catch ...also had a nice blitz pickup. 

QB - Contrary to what I read ...Eli Manning looked sharp as hell. He was putting balls in spots where only the WR could catch them and even the incompletions were hitting receivers in the hands despite tight coverages. Aside from the Int that was clearly on Jerry I did not see Eli throw a bad ball. Backup QBs didnt have much of a chance with the 2nd team line being so bad. Davis had a nice scramble a throw to Tye for 18 yds.

Dline - JPP is sick (Saftey, sack and blocked pass) , Snacks was great. The downside - heard Bromley injured his knee but not sure how bad. 

LB - Didn't see much out of the LBs ... Goodson did his thing and Casillas ran down a scrambling QB for a sack.  

TE - Evan Engram was great with 2 receptions for 1st downs and a great seal block that helped Darkwa walk into the end zone for a TD. He did drop 2 or 3 passes in tight coverage that would have been difficult catches.  Ellison didn't do anything, I'm not even sure if he played. rookie Fullback Shane Smith played a similar role and also had a nice block on the Darkwa TD. Howard Cross said that they have been impressed with Smith who was a Linebacker in College.

WRs - rookie Rudolph, Shepard and Lewis were all very good in the absence of OBJ and Marshall. Rudulph reached over the head of a defender to steal a pass that should have easily been intercepted than made a move and took it 50 yards. Lewis dropped a catchable ball that hit him in the hands, again in tight coverage, but made up for it with a 4th and 3 reception to the 1 yard line. Eli threaded 2 defenders on the play and Lewis with great concentration knowing he was going to get hit. 

DBs - Landon Collins with pick 6 and a blocked pass, Janoris jankins rocked a ball lose that Donte Deayon took to the house for another pick 6. Eli Apple got away with a big PI but looks pretty good. He's added like 10lbs of muscle and you can see it ...but I heard he injured his ankle ...dont know the extent of it.

Users who are viewing this thread