What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (4 Viewers)

so, you grab jones at 6 to sit behind 23mill eli for a year?  if you want to do that, then why not force eli to take a pay cut?
If that was the plan they should have cut Eli.  Eli has a 8 game leash or so.  If you are 3-5 bring of rookie or 5-3 leave Eli in..

If that was the plan they should have cut Eli.  Eli has a 8 game leash or so.  If you are 3-5 bring of rookie or 5-3 leave Eli in..
if 5-3, his salary will be more annoying, cause they could have restructured and grabbed cap space. don’t think gettelman understands this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants selected Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence with the No. 17 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Lawrence (6’5/342) turned pro as a true junior after making 36 starts on the Tigers’ line, logging 20 career TFLs with 11 sacks. Only teammate Christian Wilkins rang up more QB pressures than Lawrence among ACC interior defensive linemen last year, and Lawrence earned first-team All-American via the NCAA coaches’ vote. A colossal presence with 34 ¾-inch arms, Lawrence offers Haloti Ngata-range upside with rare foot quickness, run-clogging, and pocket-collapsing ability for such a massive man. He's a classic "hog molly" pick by GM Dave Gettleman.
Josh Allen at 6, Dexter Lawrence at 17.    I would have been so much happier.
Oh man so much better.

What a #### draft !!!!!!! All this defensive talent and the Giants walk away with #### !!!!!

Could have Josh Allen, Ed Oliver, Devin Bush,  Jeffrey Simmons ...What a disgrace!!!!!!

Giants traded up with the Seahawks to select Georgia CB DeAndre Baker with the No. 30 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

New York gave up the 37th pick, the 132nd pick, and the 142nd pick to move up. Baker (5’11/193) made 30 starts in four years at UGA, collecting 31 career pass breakups and seven interceptions on his way to earning the 2018 Thorpe Award as the nation’s top defensive back. PFF College credited Baker with an SEC-low 40.2 passer rating when targeted in 2018. Although Baker managed a 4.52 forty at the Combine, he improved to the 4.48-4.49 range at Georgia’s Pro Day and is more of an instincts-based cover man than dominant athlete. Baker would likely be best employed as a perimeter Cover-2 corner or even a Cover-3 slot, but he will be asked to play a lot of man in DC James Betcher's defense. He profiles as a high-floor, low-ceiling NFL prospect.
It's sad this is the Giants' best pick... combined with Sam Beal the Giants could have the makings of a good cover unit. Why him over Greedy and Rock Ya-Sin though?

EDIT: From what I'm reading, Baker is a tougher in run support than the other two.

I'm in the minority but I think the Jones pick will prove to be fine. a little high but they possibly got the best or 2nd best qb in this class

It's sad this is the Giants' best pick... combined with Sam Beal the Giants could have the makings of a good cover unit. Why him over Greedy and Rock Ya-Sin though?

EDIT: From what I'm reading, Baker is a tougher in run support than the other two.
Did they really have to trade up to get him!!! Since when do you draft a CB for run support !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giants draft, wait!

Oh, dear Lord. My brother, the Giants fan, is miserable. That was just a terrible draft. You gave up Harrison for a fifth-rounder (granted: salary) and drafted another run-stuffer with the OBJ pick?!

WTF on Jones and who on earth is that corner? Another guy that plays the run? Who are you guys hoping to stop?

Terrible draft. F-.  I feel for you guys. 

So I get to work this morning, go into the breakroom to put my lunch in the fridge.

Two of my co-workers that are Duke alumni, one of them is a season ticket holder for Duke football, are in the breakroom. They say to me “what in the world are your Giants doing? Daniel Jones in the 1st round? Good luck with that”

It is so damn embarrassing being a Giants fan right now

What the truck was that? That was horrible. I have no words to describe what happened. I'm no expert,just someone who has observed and watched football for 50 years. But imop,that was awful. I hope I'm wrong.

Two of my co-workers that are Duke alumni, one of them is a season ticket holder for Duke football, are in the breakroom. They say to me “what in the world are your Giants doing? Daniel Jones in the 1st round? Good luck with that”
Dave Rothenberg (ESPN NY Radio) said he texted a Duke beat writer who said pretty much the same.
Sounds like Giants were worried about Wash trading up for Jones.

So I get to work this morning, go into the breakroom to put my lunch in the fridge.

It is so damn embarrassing being a Giants fan right now
I'm being abused all day at work today. I moved out of NY so there are fans of every NFL team here, and I'm hearing crap about the Giants since last night. I'm not sure I can defend them right now. What a horrible offseason.

Saw this on twitter, from the Gettleman/Shurmur presser last night:

Jordan Ranaan (Reporter): "At what point in the process did you realize he (Jones) was your guy?"

Dave Gettleman: "For me, it's been a while, very frankly...I loved him on film...And then I went to the Senior Bowl...But then I had gone to see Dwayne at Ohio State. I had seen Kyler and Will play each other...I had seen Dwayne play in the Big 12 - is that the Big 12 anymore?"

Notes: Ohio State is in the Big 10

Dave Gettleman (continued): "So, I had seen those three guys play. And to me it's really important that you see quarterbacks play [live, in person]. Seeing them in the environment is very important. I had decided to stay for the [Senior Bowl]. And frankly, Jordan, he walked out there and I saw a professional quarterback, after the three series that I watched. I saw a professional quarterback, so that's when I was in full bloom love."

Pat Shurmur:  (awkward laughter) "That's quite a visual."

:lmao:  

I was such a massive Gettleman apologist, it actually makes me sick. I was on board with the OBJ trade and honestly felt like the players & picks we got back were more than fair value. Now this monstrosity of a draft and I don’t even want to think about watching this team ever again, they look like a parody of a team. Jesus Christ, you’re in a bar with your Giants shirt on and they do that, everyone looks at you immediately and you can’t even muster a polite glance, you want to throw your glass at the bartender. ####### idiots. 
You guys are turning into the Browns.  Poor Barkley.

I just don't understand how a team that finished 30th in sacks in 2018 and 29th in sacks in 2017 pass on one of, if not the best pass rushers in the draft

I really don't see the Peyton comparisons some people have made (although it seems to be Gettleman making that comparison mostly).  He seems like his upside is Chad Pennington.

I wouldn't hold it against any Giants fan, if they just decided to become a Jets fan.

This is the worst team in the NFL in my eyes, and I'm not sure they've hit bottom yet.

I really don't see the Peyton comparisons some people have made (although it seems to be Gettleman making that comparison mostly).  He seems like his upside is Chad Pennington.
That's the thing that kills me listening to these Eli comps. Jones is NOTHING like Manning; Eli took an Ole Miss team bereft or any NFL talent to a Bowl game. Go watch that team/game on YouTube clips, because I remember a few years ago when Ernie Accorsi wrote his book detailing the game, I went back to watch it. Eli looked like a a college school freshman QB playing against college seniors, but his teammates played like high school freshman. Not a single guy made it to the NFL from that team that I remember outside of Eli; it was the epitome of what Eli used to do in his prime, make players regardless of talent better than they were. Jones does NOTHING like that... the talk was he was hurt by his surrounding cast? Eli elevated his surrounding cast in a much more legit conference.

This is going to set the Giants back three to four years, and that's three to four years of wasted prime for Saquon Barkley.

I'm fine with the Giants falling in love with Jones. What I'm not fine with is that gettleman severely overestimated other teams interested in him. taking him with Pick 6 when you have pick 17 is something you should be fired for, and hopefully he is soon. also I'm not buying the whole Eli is going to play for a couple of years story. I think if the Giants are something like 2 -6 they might start Jones and see what they got. then again the Giants have not been doing anything logical of late so I am not holding my breath

Gettleman's comments about the draft are almost as bad as his choices. He claims that he had the same grade on Jones and Allen. Then says Jones may not play for a while. Then some crap about value meeting need. They have one of the worst pass rushes in the league, so why pass on the elite pass rusher for a guy who isn't going to play.

Also he seems to be horrible at reading other teams. Greedy Williams would have been there when their #2 pick came up. Was their grade on Baker THAT much better than Williams?

Gettleman is a buffoon!  I also heard that the Giants had Jones 1A/Lock 1B ... yet Jones goes 6th and Lock goes 42nd ... so he clearly is horrible at reading other teams.

I actually think Baker might be the best all round CB in the draft (playing the pass and run) but the buffoon did not not need to trade a 4th and 5th rd pick to move up 7 spots ... he could have done the same thing to trade up and pick Jones at the end of the 1st 

This draft being a lost cause at this point ... I would like to see them target Mack Wilson with their 4th if he is still available or maybe trade up to get him 

Julian Love ... Great Pick Giants are loaded at Corner 

Trade up and grab Mack Wilson ........... Please !!!!!!!!

I'd take Riley Ridley too

Users who are viewing this thread