Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Infinite New York football Giants thread

Yenrub

On 3/17/2020 at 9:09 AM, fruity pebbles said:

10 million per for an average LBer at best doesn’t seem very wise.

Not even average. The dude got his stats chasing people down field. He was horrible in GB and can’t believe he got paid that much. Fans in GB were screaming for a replacement of him. Giants will be disappointed in this signing.

4 minutes ago, G-King said:

Not even average. The dude got his stats chasing people down field. He was horrible in GB and can’t believe he got paid that much. Fans in GB were screaming for a replacement of him. Giants will be disappointed in this signing.

Yeah, I was trying to be kind. I focused on him in several games I watched cause I was planning on moving him in a fantasy league. Dude is perpetually out of position in the run game and a downright liability in pass defense. 

9 hours ago, G-King said:

What do you know about Fackrell?

Edited by monk

Giants sign RB Dion Lewis to a 1-year deal. Obvioiusly this is the compete with Wayne Gallman Jr., but Lewis is a Judge/Patriots connection. Would not suprise me to see him win the job as the coaching staff soured on WGJr. last year.

19 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Giants sign RB Dion Lewis to a 1-year deal. Obvioiusly this is the compete with Wayne Gallman Jr., but Lewis is a Judge/Patriots connection. Would not suprise me to see him win the job as the coaching staff soured on WGJr. last year.

It was a totally different coaching staff that soured on Gallman so he still might have a fighting chance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kodycutter said:

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

The Giants are signing DT Austin Johnson, per source. A second-round pick in 2016, Johnson spent the past four seasons with the Titans (13 starts). NJ native's position coach at Penn State: New Giants DL coach Sean Spencer.

This could mean the Giants are about to rescind Leonard Williams Franchise tag to persue Clowney which would make this their best free agent move .

I still want Williams but would love to to see them negotiate ~4 year $40-48 milion  for him and a 4 year $60-$70m for Clowney

They have to fix this mess that they have created 

Edited by monk

47 minutes ago, monk said:

This could mean the Giants are about to rescind Leonard Williams Franchise tag to persue Clowney which would make this their best free agent move .

I still want Williams but would love to to see them negotiate ~4 year $40-48 milion  for him and a 4 year $60-$70m for Clowney

They have to fix this mess that they have created 

Williams and Clowney are highly drafted turds from elsewhere and yet you advocate signing them to big contracts to fix the mess? :lmao:

Edited by JetMaxx
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JetMaxx said:

Williams and Clowney are highly drafted turds from elsewhere and yet you advocate signing them to big contracts to fix the mess? :lmao:

Clowney is a top 10 edge player in the NFL ... top 3-5 against the run and he is only 27 with potential to get better - $16m a year is reasonable ... It fills a huge need and allows the Giants to fill other holes in the draft.  It's is weak Edge draft with no depth so the Giants, who neglected Oline in Free Agency, will have to fill RT, Center cover LBer through the draft.

Williams is also very good against the run ... Giants run D Improved significantly after his arrival .... still only 25 with tons of potential ... $11m a year is a steal for what should be his prime years  

People put to much emphasis on Sacks which are somewhat fluky and unpredictable. QB pressures are more consistent year to year and a better measurement of pass rush ability. Clowney and Williams both put a lot of pressure on QBs and are stellar against the run which most sack leaders are not.

Had the Giants signed Conklin as a FA they could have drafted an edge rusher in the 1st 3 rounds ... they cant afford to do that now unless Chase Young falls to them. Their holes at RT C and MLB are far bigger than Edge

Edited by monk

Guy from Locked on Packers was on Patricia Traina Locked on Giants talking about Fackrell. He said Fackrell's pressures to sacks ratio in 2018 was fluky and unsustainable. In fact he had more pressures in 2019 when he only 1 sack than he did in 2018 when he had 10.5 sacks.

Also said Fackrell was not good at all vs the run.

You get what pay for 

Edited by monk

• 3 weeks later...

It's sounding like the Giants are going to be drafting Oline with the first pick in less they are able to trade out of the spot. I'm fine with that as long as it is Jedrick Wills who is clearly the best OT in the class. I've seen some mocks taking Andrew Thomas which would be a huge mistake ...Thomas is not strong enough and athletic enough to be a top OT in the NFL. Wirfs has that incredibly strong and athletic build but does not have the incredible quickness and natural instincts that Wills has  

Take a look at the links below ... Andrew Thomas unimpressive highlights where he is consistently almost beat one on one at the collegiate level. Most of his highlights are double teams. Look at his quickness and footwork compare to Wills in the next link. Them look at Wills vs Wirfs and notice how much better his footwork and technique are then either Wirfs or Thomas. Look at the way he use his hands and punch to keep the defenders at a distance and off balance.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uie24vz5btk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-OL21I2xE

3 hours ago, monk said:

It's sounding like the Giants are going to be drafting Oline with the first pick in less they are able to trade out of the spot. I'm fine with that as long as it is Jedrick Wills who is clearly the best OT in the class. I've seen some mocks taking Andrew Thomas which would be a huge mistake ...Thomas is not strong enough and athletic enough to be a top OT in the NFL. Wirfs has that incredibly strong and athletic build but does not have the incredible quickness and natural instincts that Wills has  

Take a look at the links below ... Andrew Thomas unimpressive highlights where he is consistently almost beat one on one at the collegiate level. Most of his highlights are double teams. Look at his quickness and footwork compare to Wills in the next link. Them look at Wills vs Wirfs and notice how much better his footwork and technique are then either Wirfs or Thomas. Look at the way he use his hands and punch to keep the defenders at a distance and off balance.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uie24vz5btk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-OL21I2xE

Thanks for the videos. If the Giants are going to OL, I sure hope they can trade down a bit then pick one. 

Obviously it takes two to tango 

On 4/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, Yenrub said:

Thanks for the videos. If the Giants are going to OL, I sure hope they can trade down a bit then pick one. 

Obviously it takes two to tango 

This may sound crazy but I might go as far drafting Tua if MIA or  some other team refuses to trade up. Once he's off the board someone will be willing to trade for him or to a lesser extent Jones. I think jones is clearly worth a 1st rounder plus after what he did his rookie season.

There are too many highly rate QBs for teams not to trade up ... It wouldnt be out of the question to see 3 QBS go in the 5 picks (Burrow , Tua and the Herbert are as good a top 3 QBs propects as we've seen in years )

Tua is a better prospect than almost any QB is recent years ... if he doesnt go in the top 3 he'd be hard to pass uo 

Edited by monk

57 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

What do you think Jones would fetch in a trade?

Jones was pretty impressive last year 

I read that Pats are looking to use a premium pick on a QB and they have a lot of draft picks (3 x 3rd rounders ) ... Jones looks the part for the Pats 

So maybe Jone to the Pats for their 1st #23 overall and 2 of  their 3rd rounders  ... Then trade the 23rd and one of the 3s to move back up in the first round to grab a T

End up with Tua , OT and an extra 3rd rd pick

53 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

If Jones was in this draft where do you think he goes?

10-20 after the big two...And possibly 3. I’m guessing giants go ol 1st round and trade back a few spots to get additional picks.  The giants desperately need someone who can pressure qb but they will likely go def heavy after 1st round.

7 hours ago, stlrams said:

10-20 after the big two...And possibly 3. I’m guessing giants go ol 1st round and trade back a few spots to get additional picks.  The giants desperately need someone who can pressure qb but they will likely go def heavy after 1st round.

We drafted a qb last year so we cant draft a more valuable qb this year seems like a mistake waiting to happen.

What round draft pick do you have to add with Jones to get Tua?

1 hour ago, Daywalker said:

We drafted a qb last year so we cant draft a more valuable qb this year seems like a mistake waiting to happen.

What round draft pick do you have to add with Jones to get Tua?

At least your first.  I don’t see lions or skins interested in jones.

2 hours ago, Yenrub said:

Jimmy Johnson seems to think that the Giants and Lions should take a QB if they don't get the trade offer they want, he thinks that eventually the offers will come

On 4/12/2020 at 3:45 PM, monk said:

This may sound crazy but I might go as far drafting Tua if MIA or  some other team refuses to trade up. Once he's off the board someone will be willing to trade for him or to a lesser extent Jones.

I think this is a stupid strategy that is only going to bite them in the ###.  How would "offers eventually come"?

If NYG and DET took QBs, then Miami is ON THE CLOCK.  They could reach for a different QB or trade back, or take some Oline player (one maybe the Giants didn't want) and that screws everything up for both teams.  Also they likely will have made their other first round picks too, so any trade DET or NYG got, would likely involve FUTURE picks rather than getting more picks in this draft.  Would be dumb on all fronts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deamon said:

I think this is a stupid strategy that is only going to bite them in the ###.  How would "offers eventually come"?

If NYG and DET took QBs, then Miami is ON THE CLOCK.  They could reach for a different QB or trade back, or take some Oline player (one maybe the Giants didn't want) and that screws everything up for both teams.  Also they likely will have made their other first round picks too, so any trade DET or NYG got, would likely involve FUTURE picks rather than getting more picks in this draft.  Would be dumb on all fronts.

Here is link to Jimmy's video

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1252447970735292417?s=20

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

Just watched it. I absolutely can't get behind that. You're not only missing out on a stud defensive player that you want, but any picks you acquire for this QB will be 2021 picks or later. How does that help?  That's a massive risk and I wouldn't do it but Jimmy is entitled to his opinion. 

Jimmy Drafted a Supplimental QB Steve Walsh giving up his 1st Rd pick in 1990 after Drafting Aikman with the #1 Pick in 1989 

He turned around and traded Walsh for Saints' No. 1 and No. 3 choices in 1991 and a No. 2 pick in 1992 which could have been  upgraded to a No. 1 if Walsh had peformed 

Tua would have likely been the #1 pick in this years draft had he not gotten injured. The guy is worth a ton if he is avaiable and you have to take him whether it's for trade or for the future QB. 

The Giants are terrible at playing their hand and the Phins and Chargers know it. The only way they will give up picks is if you draft Tua or Herbert ahead of them. They will immediately propose a trade before the next pick if that happens and you have them right where you want them ... bidding against each other

18 hours ago, Faust said:

Gettleman has done so many unbelievably bad things ... passing on Darnold was not one of them. In fact passing on Darnold and Rosen, for that matter, may be the only sensible things that he has done since coming to the Giants.

• While drafting Daniel Jones was not a bad thing  ... Drafting Daniel Jones with the 6th pick, ahead of Josh Allen (LB). with a historically strong QB draft class coming up in 2020. and  while you are desperate for an Edge Rusher  ...is really really, really really  bad.
  • Trading a 3rd and 4th rd pick for DT Leonard Williams, who was going to be a free agent, in a lost season, when your only postion of strength on Defense is DT ... is incredibly bad. 
  • Not signing Conklin or Clowney when you are loaded with Cap $$$ and desperate for an OT and an Edge rusher is inexcusable.
  • Using high draft picks and High priced free agents to stockpile questionable to OK CBs is pretty freakin bad

Giants are in a great position with the 4th pick in a very stromg QB heavy top of the draft ... but I have no doubt that Gettleman will #### this up.

I fully expect him to do at least a few of the following ####ups torrow ... 

• Fail to leverage the 4th pick in a QB loaded draft with multiple QB needy teams loaded with draft stock (MIA, LAC, CAR, JAC and NE)  
  • Draft another DT Derrick Brown or Corner Okudah with the 4th Pick in the draft 
  • Take an OT but it's Mekhi Becton (Flowers II), Andrew Thomas or Josh Jones
  • Fail to land  Chase Young, Isaiah Simmons or Jedrick Wills even if they land in his lap 

Edited by monk
  • Like 1

Draft day is here.

I want the Giants to trade down but I do not think it will happen.

If they stay at 4, I want Simmons but I don’t think it will happen. (I just like defense more than offense as a fan) I expect them to take one of the OL which is fine by me because they definitely need to upgrade the tackle spot.

1 minute ago, Yenrub said:

Draft day is here.

If they stay at 4, I want Simmons but I don’t think it will happen. (I just like defense more than offense as a fan) I expect them to take one of the OL which is fine by me because they definitely need to upgrade the tackle spot.

Yeah I'm with you on this ... Also Simmons is clearly the Top Defender after Chase Young and a unique talent. Taking a tackle at this position is kind of a waste of a 4th rd pick because you could get a similar and possibly better OT 5-10 picks later.

If Gettleman had played his cards right in Free Agency they could have done no wrong 

• Sign Conklin draft Simmons ... No brainer
  • Sign Clowny draft OT ... No Brainer 
  • Sign Both ...opportunities are endless

But ...

3 hours ago, Yenrub said:

Draft day is here.

Hoping for a deal with the Jags #4 for #9 and #20.

#9 - Wirfs or Wills

#20 - Kenneth Murray (LB, OU)

#35 - Cesar Ruiz (C, Michigan)

10 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Hoping for a deal with the Jags #4 for #9 and #20.

#9 - Wirfs or Wills

#20 - Kenneth Murray (LB, OU)

#35 - Cesar Ruiz (C, Michigan)

Not Bad ...  might be a little early for Murray (K'Lavon Chaisson/ Patrick Queen) I might go with another D player at #35 (Epenesa or Baun)  and hope to get a C at 99 (Biadasz or Hennessy) 

15 hours ago, Yenrub said:

Andrew Thomas is the pick

I'm actually OK with this pick ... I was pissed at first but the more I read the more I like.

Of the Top 4 OT - Thomas is the least risk and the Most NFL / LT Ready ... It's possible they move Soldier to RT 

• Thomas - Is a Pure Left Tackle that could play Right Tackle
  • Wills - As good as he is and as much as I like his footwork and hands ...He's never played LT
  • Wirfs - has played mostly RT and said that he is more comfortable at RT ... some say he may move inside 
  • Beckton - Huge risk ... I would hate to take a project in the first half of the draft 

Yeah, this is actually a very pre-Jerry Reese Giants pick... doesn't have the highest upside but has the highest floor and is versatile. It's a good, safe pick.

1 minute ago, kodycutter said:

Matos, Epenesa, Baun

Delpit, McKinney, Winfield

What you gonna do Gettleman?

Hoping they wait on C til later, sure could of used that early 3rd round pick.

I dont want Winfield ...to small at 5'9"... Id be fine with Matos or Baun  ...Maybe Epenesa but he looked really terrible in the combine drills 

I'm hoping they move up in the 3rd ... package a 6 or 7th rder with pick 99 to move up 10-15 slots ... what ever it take to get a Center. I'd be thrilled with Biadasz ... I think his value dropped to much because of the hip injury.  

I'd like a big Receiver like Pittman or Higgins but cant see anyway they could squeeze in LB, C and WR 

8 minutes ago, monk said:

I dont want Winfield ...to small at 5'9"... Id be fine with Matos or Baun  ...Maybe Epenesa but he looked really terrible in the combine drills 

I'm hoping they move up in the 3rd ... package a 6 or 7th rder with pick 99 to move up 10-15 slots ... what ever it take to get a Center. I'd be thrilled with Biadasz ... I think his value dropped to much because of the hip injury.  

I'd like a big Receiver like Pittman or Higgins but cant see anyway they could squeeze in LB, C and WR 

To move up in the 3rd they will likely have to move down in the 2nd. I don't think those 7th rounders are worth much

Giants take developmental offensive tackle Matt Peart with the No. 99.

They could have their bookend OT's of the future on the roster now. Thomas will probably start off at RT for a season with Solder at LT. Peart has a season or two to develop into a starting RT.