What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (3 Viewers)

PFF - NFL defensive line rankings: All 32 units entering the 2020 NFL season

Giants # 26 ? Wow and that's supposed to be the strength of the team
The policy in New York under general manager Dave Gettleman has been getting bigger, tougher and meaner against the run on the defensive line.

Dexter Lawrence was their first-round pick a year ago, and Leonard Williams was acquired to add serious weight inside. Add Dalvin Tomlinson and B.J. Hill to the mix, and this team is awash with powerful run-stoppers. All four players earned a PFF run-defense grade above 70.0 last season, but none was a difference-maker as a pass-rusher.

Lawrence — all 342 pounds of him — had the best pass-rush grade of the four, but it was just 64.5. The former first-rounder had only 30 total pressures from 412 rushes, which falls into the category of “good for a nose tackle” but some way short of dominant overall.

Williams’ pass-rushing grade improved after he was traded to the Giants (69.1 against 61.4), but he has never quite been the force people expected him to be when he was drafted.

The Giants are short on interior players who can truly pressure the passer and instead will rely on just squeezing the pocket. And that strategy that could work if they had plus play on the edge — the problem is that they don’t have that proven commodity yet.

Lorenzo Carter has flashed that ability, while 2019 third-round pick Oshane Ximines has yet to show he can translate his college production to the NFL. Kyler Fackrell was also added to the mix, but again, his production has come in spikes and flashes at the NFL level, and he never managed to be a consistent threat during his time in Green Bay.

The Giants have a group of solid options but don’t have much in the way of proven players who can get after the quarterback in a league that has never been more pass-happy. 
PFF article

Giants OT Nate Solder opted out of the 2020 NFL season.

Solder very reasonably opts out to protect himself and his young son, both of whom have a history with cancer. This is one of the biggest player opt outs to date, as Solder was expected to not only start at tackle but also help first-round pick Andrew Thomas adjust to his first league in the NFL. It's a notable loss for Daniel Jones in particular, as he was already under pressure on 42% of his dropbacks last season. That was the second most in the NFL. Solder was PFF's No. 46 graded offensive tackle among 98 qualifiers last season.
That hurts... line won't have it's most tenured vet now

If that frees up his CAP space ...I want Clowney ASAP!!!!!!

This does hurt big time !!! I was actually expecting a huge bounce back year from Solder but I think we can be ok with the rooks learning on the job.

The addition of Fleming is huge now and Gates was actually the Giants best T but in very limited number of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy

Confirmed with cap expert @corryjoel
#Giants could also use the ~$16M cap savings from Nate Solder to just roll into next year's cap, earmarked for Solder, if they don't want to make a big Jadeveon Clowney or Logan Ryan splash.

Smart move would seem to be to roll it into next year's cap.  We aren't one or two players away.

kodycutter said:
Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy

Confirmed with cap expert @corryjoel
#Giants could also use the ~$16M cap savings from Nate Solder to just roll into next year's cap, earmarked for Solder, if they don't want to make a big Jadeveon Clowney or Logan Ryan splash.

Smart move would seem to be to roll it into next year's cap.  We aren't one or two players away.
I believe the Giants can Cut Soldier next year with only $6.5m dead money and save $14m 

You play for today ... you have no idea whats going to happen between now and next season. The  Niners went from 4-12 to 13-3 and the Superbowl 

Adding Clowny to the Giant D-line could have a similar effect of adding Bosa.

Obviously would prefer Solder be here but he was one of the worst tackles in football last year and the Giants were able to move the ball. .. He can be easily replaced.  

I believe the Giants can Cut Soldier next year with only $6.5m dead money and save $14m 

You play for today ... you have no idea whats going to happen between now and next season. The  Niners went from 4-12 to 13-3 and the Superbowl 

Adding Clowny to the Giant D-line could have a similar effect of adding Bosa.

Obviously would prefer Solder be here but he was one of the worst tackles in football last year and the Giants were able to move the ball. .. He can be easily replaced.  
I don't think the bolded is correct. With Solder opting out of the 2020 season, I believe his contract rolls over to the next season. So he is no longer signed through 2021 but is now signed through 2022. Whatever his CAP number (and dead money #) was supposed to be in 2020 will move to 2021. The original 2021 numbers (which I think is what you have bolded) don't apply until 2022. 

I don't think the bolded is correct. With Solder opting out of the 2020 season, I believe his contract rolls over to the next season. So he is no longer signed through 2021 but is now signed through 2022. Whatever his CAP number (and dead money #) was supposed to be in 2020 will move to 2021. The original 2021 numbers (which I think is what you have bolded) don't apply until 2022. 
Thats terrible for the teams. They should give the Team the option to buy out the remaining contract ...whatever is guaranteed and remove the cap hit

Panthers released K Graham Gano.

The move saves $2.8 million against the cap and signals the Panthers are moving forward with Joey Slye at kicker. Gano missed all of 2019 with a knee issue and turned 33 earlier this offseason. When healthy, Gano is one of the better kickers in the league, but it's unclear if he's back to 100%. Gano spent eight years in Carolina after three in Washington. He made one Pro Bowl. Perhaps Gano will be an option for the Giants with ex-Panthers GM Dave Gettleman.
ABSOLUTELY he's an option. This would be one former Dave Gettleman connection I'd have no issues with.

The Giants need help in their secondary.  Would adding someone like Logan Ryan actually help them?  I'm surprised the Giants haven't made an offer to Logan Ryan yet.

The Giants need help in their secondary.  Would adding someone like Logan Ryan actually help them?  I'm surprised the Giants haven't made an offer to Logan Ryan yet.
Some of the beat writers speculate that because Ryan is more of a slot CB and the Giants aren’t exactly one player away that they will stick with the young guys.

My guess is Beal and Ballentine will compete for the CB spot opposite Bradberry.

Darnay Holmes, Grant Haley and Julian Love will compete for the slot CB spot.

They seem to be treating Love as a hybrid CB/S. Look for the Giants to run a lot of 3 safety looks this season (Peppers, McKInney and Love)

Some of the beat writers speculate that because Ryan is more of a slot CB and the Giants aren’t exactly one player away that they will stick with the young guys.

My guess is Beal and Ballentine will compete for the CB spot opposite Bradberry.

Darnay Holmes, Grant Haley and Julian Love will compete for the slot CB spot.

They seem to be treating Love as a hybrid CB/S. Look for the Giants to run a lot of 3 safety looks this season (Peppers, McKInney and Love)
Sam Beal just opted out for the season.

Beal

Zak DeOssie retires...13 years.    

Deandre Baker charged with 4 counts of robbery with a firearm.  If convicted, mandatory minimum of 10 years...and up to life. :(     Interesting also that Quinton Dunbar will not be prosecuted due to insufficient evidence.

Rotoworld:

Giants LS Zak DeOssie announced his retirement.

DeOssie spent the past 13 years of his life out-snapping any and all who challenged him, at one point snapping the longest snap the likes of anyone had ever seen. Legend has it his snaps were the snappiest, even snapping at the point of snap if ye were lucky enough to catch them being snapped. He shall be missed.

I ####### love their coverage of long snappers.

So, looks like DeAndre Baker is likely done for. He's expected to be released later today, and is facing 10+ years of prison time if convicted of armed robbery.

Really don't know how a guy with any common sense can get into this situation. I suppose the lack of common sense is the answer. Real shame, I loved that pick at the time, thought it as the 1st rounder that looked the best of the 3, as Baker had been a stud in the toughest conference in CFB, and fared very well against WR's who went on to start in the NFL. He struggled a ton last season, but that isn't uncommon as CB tends to be the toughest position for immediate impact on defense.

What was already looking like a bottom 5 secondary now lost some of the upside it had. Its arguably the worst CB group in the NFL now, and McKinney is going to really hit the ground running to help bail them out.

So, looks like DeAndre Baker is likely done for. He's expected to be released later today, and is facing 10+ years of prison time if convicted of armed robbery.

Really don't know how a guy with any common sense can get into this situation. I suppose the lack of common sense is the answer. Real shame, I loved that pick at the time, thought it as the 1st rounder that looked the best of the 3, as Baker had been a stud in the toughest conference in CFB, and fared very well against WR's who went on to start in the NFL. He struggled a ton last season, but that isn't uncommon as CB tends to be the toughest position for immediate impact on defense.

What was already looking like a bottom 5 secondary now lost some of the upside it had. Its arguably the worst CB group in the NFL now, and McKinney is going to really hit the ground running to help bail them out.
Can't coach STUPID,   awful pick.

Well, I guess I'm a de facto Giants fan now since I've got EEngram & Daniel Jones in Dynasty. So uh, go Giants?

Looks like my new bandwagoing isn't helping. Yeesh.  

I agree - lack of common sense. 22 years old, manages to become that rarest of rare & make it to the NFL, only to throw it away like this?  Just so dumb. 4 counts of armed robbery, 10 years minimum. What an absolute waste.  

I understand people come from different backgrounds, and all that, but once one knows they're on track for the NFL, wouldn't one leave this crap behind by any means necessary? Mind-boggling.

Aaron Hernandez comes to mind. 

There are some pretty adequate CB replacements that could be had probably for 1 year contracts 

Dre Kirkpatrick and Tramon Williams are decent players and can be had for cheap at this point 

Logan Ryan if they are willing to pay a bit more 

travdogg said:

It was a terrible pick ... A lot of people thought that he was a bad pick from the start and there was internal debate prior to the pick that eventually cost the scout his job. Add the fact that they gave up the 37th, 132nd and 142nd picks to move into the 1st to get him and you have the worst Gettleman move to date. Giants needed an OT and could have traded up for Jawaan Taylor who started all 16 games and played every single snap for the Jaguars 

The whole Baker situation is shady as hell, but Dunbar sounds like he wasn't charged because he was the first to the table on a deal.

It was a terrible pick ... A lot of people thought that he was a bad pick from the start and there was internal debate prior to the pick that eventually cost the scout his job. Add the fact that they gave up the 37th, 132nd and 142nd picks to move into the 1st to get him and you have the worst Gettleman move to date. Giants needed an OT and could have traded up for Jawaan Taylor who started all 16 games and played every single snap for the Jaguars 
It was definitely a poor use of draft capital. None of the CB in that draft were taken when the Giants moved up. The Giants were/are in rebuild mode no need to trade away assets when one of the top CB in the draft were going to fall to their spot.

It would be great if the Giants released Gettleman when they finally get around to releasing Baker.

Yogibear said:
The Giants should've signed Logan Ryan before they signed Ross Cockrell.
I think Ryan is looking for like $10m a year ... I also read he is a better slot corner where the Giants already have more competition 

Predicting Giants are going to be this years 9'ers  

Luv what they are doing with the Oline and Columbo !... toughness and versitility.  Here is what I'd like to see shake out ...

• RT - Gates / Fleming / Peart 
  • RG - Zietler / Lemieux / Kyle Murphy
  • C  -  Lemieux / Gates / Kyle Murphy
  • LG  - Hernandez  / Liemieux / Kyle Murphy
  • LT -  Thomas / Fleming / Gates 
Though it looks like Gates may be favorite to win the Center job which would mean Fleming starts at RT ... which isnt bad either 

Also luv the vesitility they are building with the DB flexibility ... Safties are going to be real strong with Peppers, Mckinny and Love  

L.Wlliams is going to have a monster breakout season and Lorenzo Carter is going to bust out and lead the team in sacks 

Offensive weapons are sick and deep (Saquon and  Engram healthy) Receiver depth with Tate , Sheppard , Slayton and Coleman (wbreakout candidate) and  lots of Free Agent WR depth which was a brilliant move in a year deep with WR talent in the draft and FAs

Loading up on LB depth at the end of the draft was another Brilliant move ... All u need is 1 or 2 of them to stick and you have addressed a major weakness 

@monk

I appreciate your optimism and I hope you are right, but I just don’t see it.

Patrick Graham is going to have to be a miracle worker on defense or the offense is going to have to score 35+ per game while starting 2 or 3 rookie offensive linemen.

Tall task. I just hope they are competitive this season.  Again I hope you are right but I’m not letting myself fall for it.

I love that Graham gameplans against a team every week. No real set D, whatever he feels will work they'll practice for that team based on the group and their versatility. Coaches to the talent instead of being a slave to a system.

That being said, he's not going to have a ton of practice time so D will be very, very bad.

Listening to Giant Podcast sounds like the Giants are real impressed with Darney Holmes so far in the slot ... they will cross train him on the perimeter but the short arms are a concern

Engram and Coleman are looking healthy as ever ...Coleman could make this a very good to great WR corp if he come into his own.

Connelly is fuly recovered and moving around like preinjury.

Boys from Big Blue Banter like the Daylon Mack signing ... apparently they followed him in college and he's pretty much an unmovable object in the middle ...reason he dropped in the draft was because of his NT designation. And Ravens have a ton of depth in the mddile which made him expendable

on the downside the perimeter corners have been tortured by all WRs even Ballentine who is currently starting opposite Bradburry 

David Mayo also injured today 
Sounds like he's been injured for about a week now and Judge has been pulling a Belichick.

Mayo torn miniscus is probably the end of him at least as a Giant ... what makes this worse is Connelly hasn't been on the field in about a week while recovering from his acl last seaosn

Actually I was thinking Petella  ... Miniscus is a short recovery time

Leake being cut is a bit surprising considering all of the positive news about him coming out of camp. Maybe he gets added to the practice squad.

Also it must mean that Gallman has been impressive in camp

Lorenzo Carter was impressive during the scrimmage. Depending on the reporting outlet he had 3 or 4 "sacks".

Of course those "sacks" came against our own offensive line so I can't get too excited 

I am legit stunned by this. Ryan is a move you do when you are going for it. I thoguht for sure they'd be the cheap route and re-sign Prince Amukamara or play a lower tier rookie. Ryan will be a big help.

Users who are viewing this thread