What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (5 Viewers)

Anyone hear anything definitive about Jones?  I hear it was as bad as it could have been and they may even play him against Seattle.

I think that falls in the bad idea category.  The game is at Seattle (5-0 at home) and putting him in when he can't be fully mobile is not something l'd want to see.

Anyone hear anything definitive about Jones?  I hear it was as bad as it could have been and they may even play him against Seattle.

I think that falls in the bad idea category.  The game is at Seattle (5-0 at home) and putting him in when he can't be fully mobile is not something l'd want to see.
They’re in the thick of it and their win probability goes from 40% -ish to <5% with Colt under center so not hard to see why it’s being contemplated.

The defense is the strength of this team. Biggest Q to me is can they stop the now healthy Carson/Hyde combo, keep Lockett from going off, and stopping the DK train. The latter is coming into Megatron territory in terms of being a problem every week.

In a busy day of roster moves, the Giants activated offensive tackle Matt Peart, tight end Kaden Smith and wide receiver Dante Pettis off the reserve/COVID-19 list. Wide receiver Derrick Dillon and tight end Nate Wieting were released from the practice while safety Montre Hartage and kicker/punter Ryan Santoso were waived from the active roster but could land back on the practice squad.

Veteran quarterback Joe Webb also visited with the Giants, according to the league's transaction wire.
Peart and Smith are very important (Peart helps the OL rotation, Smith allows more 12 personnel sets), but I'm really interested in seeing when Giants will put Pettis on kickoffs/punts. I hate watching Peppers do it because of the injury risk.

I'm Freakin Flippin Out!!!!!!!! 

I Need a Sedative!!!!!!

Giants Just Beat the Livin Piss Out of Seattle in Seatlle and Russell Wilson Was Scared and Confused !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I Need a Sedative!!!!!!

Giants Just Beat the Livin Piss Out of Seattle in Seatlle and Russell Wilson Was Scared and Confused !!!!!!!
That was a great ugly win. Just the way I like them.

I Need a Sedative!!!!!!

Not sure about any piss, but their D played a hell of a game.  

I guess they didn't need Jones after all.  haha

Not sure about any piss, but their D played a hell of a game.  

I guess they didn't need Jones after all.  haha
They beat the piss out of them! Giants Oline had their way with them particularly in the running game. And the Defense completely shut them down.

Seatlle was 3r din the NFL in scoring 31 pts per game. they were averaging 33 pts per game at home ... they scored 12 ! ...10 on Offense 7 in the 4th Q  

I'll admit that I went into this game thinking the G-men were going to get it handed to them today. Zero expectations of a win. The win vs Cinncy was nice, but lets face it, it was Cinncy. They haven't really played well in Seattle for a while now. It all seemed so inevitable. 

I was totally wrong. I completely marked out in the third. The running game was massive. And we haven't seen this type of D in a long long time. It was so refreshing. I'm with Monk, I am beyond pumped right now.

That was a great ugly win. Just the way I like them.
What??? Nothing Ugly about this win for the Giants???? Their defense was Sick!!! 5 Sacks tons of pressure, couple of turnovers, hard hiitting , swarming defense. they contained and frustarted Wilson , Carson and Metcalf,  while having 4-5 Rookies on Defense at times.

Offensively the dominated they line of scrimmage in the 2nd half ... They ran for almost 200 yds and averaged around 6-7 yds per carry even though Seattle new they were running 

It was actually quite Beautiful !!!!

Seahawks are known for playing down to the level of the competition, but the biggest thing is the Giants played hard and limited mistakes as much as possible (they made mistakes but they didn't collapse due to them). They didn't "beat the piss" outta the Seahawks, but they did make Seattle play the game; it amazing what can happen if you don't beat yourself and make the opposing team beat you.

Patrick Graham deserved kudos for designing the gameplan with a lot of disguised zone with man concepts (the coverage Russ seems to have trouble with), and absolutely refusing to have DK Metcalf win deep. Bradberry was very disciplined with underneath help, even ate a stiff-arm but made the tackle on DK. During the 4th quarter Russell figured it out and started hitting the leaking RB for good yardage and a TD, and things did not look good late when the Seahawks got it back with under 2 minutes left and 2 timeouts. Giants D bent but didn't break late, and Leonard Williams helped with a massive sack with :48 seconds left to seal it. I don'r want to play the "what if?" game I see on other forums because that Giants team earlier in the year isn't like the Giants team to play the last few weeks. Play hard, limit mistakes as much as possible and make the opposing team have to play harder than you. I really hope they keep it up next week.

Not sure what game watched ... Giants Oline Abused Seattle !!!!!!  Giants Dline Abused Seattle !!! They were Physical as hell and Russell Wilson was running for his life and making terrible plays !!!

Seattle's Offense scored 3 points through the first 54 Minutes of the game????

Giants offense ran the ball down Seattle throats ... and they nee it was coming !!!

What??? Nothing Ugly about this win for the Giants???? Their defense was Sick!!! 5 Sacks tons of pressure, couple of turnovers, hard hiitting , swarming defense. they contained and frustarted Wilson , Carson and Metcalf,  while having 4-5 Rookies on Defense at times.

Offensively the dominated they line of scrimmage in the 2nd half ... They ran for almost 200 yds and averaged around 6-7 yds per carry even though Seattle new they were running 

It was actually quite Beautiful !!!!
Ugly in the sense that it wasn’t a pass happy shootout. Like most games in the NFL now.

Pick this one apart anyway you want. I'm enjoying it for what it was. A win on the road against a "better" team. The lines on both sides of the ball DOMINATED this one.

After 0-5 and a discussion about whether The Giants should draft Trevor Lawrence this is SWEET! Judge is Da Man. Given the covid situation,the fly by the seat of their

pants nature of the preseason,new coach,new staff,a lot of young players,I'm lighting up a big fat Cohiba today and enjoying wherever this ride takes us! Hopefully

things get back to "normal" next season,Gettleman asks Judge what he needs in the offseason,suddenly the NEAR future is looking a whole lot brighter.

And a side note,hoping Martinez is o.k. The guy is a tackling machine! Playoffs!? Playoffs!?  :headbang:

From PFF regardin Andrew Thomas

Andrew Thomas' pass blocking looks better and better each week. In this game, he surrendered nothing to the Seattle defense. His four highest pass-blocking grades of the season have come in his previous four games, and he will likely grade out well again with his performance in Week 13. 

Washington isn't going to let the Gints walk away with this one.  Strong performance by them against the Steelers. 

I think the Giants have a good chance to win 3 of their final 4 games (Dallas, Browns and Arizona).   Not sure why, but l have a good feeling against Cleveland.

Washington isn't going to let the Gints walk away with this one.  Strong performance by them against the Steelers. 

I think the Giants have a good chance to win 3 of their final 4 games (Dallas, Browns and Arizona).   Not sure why, but l have a good feeling against Cleveland.
Redskins fan here.  I agree it's going to be a dog fight until the end.  Either team can make it in.  Personally, I am kind of impressed with how both teams are rebuilding. While a lot of the hype was around new QBs in Jones and Haskins, both teams are being lead by their defense -- arguably a much more stable way to build and prosper in the playoffs.  NFC East was left for dead, but either of these teams could be a tough out that first playoff game at home.

Good luck Giants fans...wish we could play again this year!

Redskins fan here.  I agree it's going to be a dog fight until the end.  Either team can make it in.  Personally, I am kind of impressed with how both teams are rebuilding. While a lot of the hype was around new QBs in Jones and Haskins, both teams are being lead by their defense -- arguably a much more stable way to build and prosper in the playoffs.  NFC East was left for dead, but either of these teams could be a tough out that first playoff game at home.

Good luck Giants fans...wish we could play again this year!
That Washington defense is really good, especially in the front 7. On offense you have some nice young pieces (Gibson, Thomas and McLaurin) who like they are going to give defenses fits. Both teams appear to be headed in the right direction. 

is that confirmed that Leonard wanted to sign here, i mean we haven't been a winning team in quite some time.
His value was that bad and his moniker was that of a tease among Jets fans; he'll do all the work to kinda get close and never get there, but wants to be paid like a guy who always gets there. If Gettleman wanted him in the offseason, he could've signed him w/o too much difficulty.

https://thejetpress.com/2019/12/31/new-york-jets-dave-gettleman-says-juice-worth-squeeze-leonard-williams/

The juice was worth the squeeze and now the team has an additional top-70 pick (No. 68 overall, a third-round pick by way of the Giants) and it appears that they’ll have another premium asset in 2021 if Leonard Williams re-signs with Big Blue.

The reason why the Jets moved on from Williams is that he didn’t do what he was drafted to do: sack the quarterback.

This season he played 689 defensive snaps and finished with half a sack. Let’s go back even further, in his last 1,555 snaps he has six sacks. In his last 2,432 snaps, he has eight sacks, per Connor Hughes of The Athletic.

Despite changing jerseys, Leonard is still the same player, a player who can “buzz” around the quarterback but can’t get the job done.
Keep in mind as early as this July, there was sentiment among Giants fans that it ranked as the worst trade in Giants history.

https://gmenhq.com/2020/07/18/williams-trade-worst-ny-giants-history/

As we know, the main defenders of this trade – namely Dave Gettleman himself – tried to sell us all a bill of goods that just getting Leonard Williams in the building for the last half of the season to evaluate him (like there isn’t film for that) for a future contract, like he’s the only middling defensive lineman in the league, justified parting with such important draft picks in the midst of a rebuild.

The pick that will sting the most will be the third-rounder that was not the NY Giants’ compensatory pick, but in fact, their original third-round pick which ended up landing in the top 70 of the draft — an area where dozens of quality players that make up the foundation of a roster playing on manageable rookie deals exist.

The extra fourth or fifth-round pick in 2021 only adds salt to the wound.

So, in essence, the moment it was announced that Williams and the team would not in fact be striking a contract extension in 2020, this trade went from failure to massive failure as that was the entire point of making this boneheaded move.

Like last season, even if Williams goes out and racks up 10 sacks (don’t hold your breath), the whole point is that he could have been had as a free agent without partying with any draft picks.

And make no mistake about it, those draft picks were super important after Gettleman had already given up several mid round picks to move up to select DeAndre Baker and the team would then be going into the 2020 draft without an extra pick outside of its own inside the 7th round — not exactly how you rebuild.
Just because Joe Judge has managed to get lightning out of the later rounds picks (Crowder, Coughlin, etc.) doesn't take away from that fact the Jets really didn't miss Williams at all and will still get another pick in 2021.

Looking at it... yeah. Jets didn't miss him going by metrics and weren't going to sign him at the end of the year. the fact they got anything out of a guy they were going to let walk is one thing; they got two good picks? Mega bonus.

Looking at it... yeah. Jets didn't miss him going by metrics and weren't going to sign him at the end of the year. the fact they got anything out of a guy they were going to let walk is one thing; they got two good picks? Mega bonus.
I hear what you are saying, is Ashtyn Davis lighting it up for the Jets currently? the 3rd round pick we gave up.    Who from #68 are we, "damn we should have picked him", until we picked Matt Peart at #99?

It was absolutely a bad trade they could have saved the picks and tried to sign him at a bargain price for 3-5 years while his value was low. If he didnt want t o sign with the Giants back then ...It's possible he doesnt want to sign with them now.

It's not guaranteed that the Giants are going to be able to sign Williams at the end of this season. I think they will but they are going to have to pay a ton for him and some other team could swoop in and grab him. He is having a monster seasons and he is still only 26 years old ... they guy is going to get paid and he can thank Gettleman for that 

I'm less concerned about the picks then I am the financials ... He's certainly worth a 3rd round pick and to me 5th round picks are pot luck 

@DDuggan21

The Giants gave QB Daniel Jones’ hamstring a final check today. It went well and he is expected to start tomorrow’s game against the Cardinals, per source.

link

monk said:
https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/12/will-giants-re-sign-leonard-williams-could-they-land-yannick-ngakoue-kenny-golladay-early-predictions-for-2021-nfl-free-agency.html

PFF Predicts this ...

Prediction: Panthers sign Williams for four-years, $72 million ($18M APY): $37.5M total guaranteed, $27.5M fully guaranteed at signing.
Same article has the Giants signing Ngakoue for four years, $70M, $40M guaranteed $30M at signing.

Very similar numbers to what they have Williams signing in Carolina for.

I would think this staff would prefer to have Williams over Ngakoue

Article also has the Giants resigning Dalvin Tomlinson fours $54M

And Kenny Golladay four years $85M

Same article has the Giants signing Ngakoue for four years, $70M, $40M guaranteed $30M at signing.

Very similar numbers to what they have Williams signing in Carolina for.

I would think this staff would prefer to have Williams over Ngakoue

Article also has the Giants resigning Dalvin Tomlinson fours $54M

And Kenny Golladay four years $85M
Agreed ... Williams is the better player ... I would consider signing Ngakoue over Tomlinson and replacing Tomlinson with BJ Hill and MacIntosh next year.

I like Tomlinson but he and Ngakoue are simliar level of player ... Ngakoue fills a bigger need 

Agreed ... Williams is the better player ... I would consider signing Ngakoue over Tomlinson and replacing Tomlinson with BJ Hill and MacIntosh next year.

I like Tomlinson but he and Ngakoue are simliar level of player ... Ngakoue fills a bigger need 
I'd like to keep Leonard, but he will be costly.    where are we getting the Kenny G money from?    I'd rather get a WR in the draft, supposed to be another good wr draft this year.

I'd be wary of signing Williams long-term.  I'm always skeptical of players who suddenly have their best year during a contract year. 

who doesn't love jerry jones?

“Every bit of it,” Jones told Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. “And then right past that, go right to your general manager. Right past [blaming coaches], go to your general manager, because coming through the door, the GM was eye-to-eye hiring the head coach, talking about how we were going to approach when he walks through the door and where he was going to go from there.

“That obviously didn't work for us this year.”

That general manager Jones was criticizing? Jerry Jones.

I'd be wary of signing Williams long-term.  I'm always skeptical of players who suddenly have their best year during a contract year. 
That could happen with anyone once they get paid but Williams is only 26 years old and he seems to be having a lot fun ...he's running around like a nut awith a smile on his face the whole time. This system seems to be a great fit for him

The other thing about Williams is he has a very high floor ... Even in his worst season he is an above average player. Last year he had a half a sack but still had a big impact on the Giants run defense. 

Giants need a QB and a new GM for xmas
They definitely should have left DJ on the bench for another week, he wasn’t 100%.

DJ has to read the defense much quicker, he seems to get locked in on his first read and/or the front side of the play for too long.

The defense held up as long as they could but the offense never helped out.

Users who are viewing this thread